Half Breeds?

First off this is not nessacerily Half Hyur -half Miquo'te?

Though I am curious  on what you all feel lore-wise is supported ( can all the races (of similar sizes) interbreed? Do the offspring look like the mother (ala Pokemon genetics), or do they all take after the father?

But no Here I speak of cross breeding within a species: A Miquo'te who is both a Seeker of Sun &  Keeper of the Moon parentage? Which Clan do they belong in, is it purely where they grew up? Or is it in their blood?

With Humans its less clear.

But Elezen are clearly going to have some differences?

To you all , I ask this: Is clan cultural mostly , in your view of Lore, in your character's lives?

SE Confirmed that mixed races exist.

All of the playable races have a common ancestor. (Stated at the Las Vegas Fanfest)

However, they are exceedingly rare and we do not know what they would look like.

--

As far as interbreeding between different clans of a given race, it happens. Chances are, there would be mixed physical traits from each. (Maybe the Keeper fangs and the Seeker eyes?)

As far as cross-clan miqo'te go, the naming conventions actually talk about it directly.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Miqo%27te/Naming

F'lhaminn is actually a Fernhawles-confirmed half-breed miqo'te. She has a Sun Seeker name and was brought up as a Sun Seeker, but has obvious Moon Keeper traits (most obvious being the rounded pupils).

I'm really, really curious what a Hellsguard/Sea Wolf combo would look like because they're the only race where the skin-tones really don't have any point where they intersect.

I wonder if halfbreeds are infertile?

If you mean some lalqo'te mating with a roelezen, I doubt we'll never get an answer in lore.

But I would imagine there are probably plenty of midlander/Highlander crossed hyur, a fair amount of hellsguard/sea wolf roegadyn and maybe a handful of plainsfolk/dunes folk lalafell.

The lore does suggest the the elezen clans are not really in communication and that mating between miqo'te tribes of the same clan can be weird enough, let alone the issues present with seekee/keeper.

I wonder if halfbreeds are infertile?

Depends on how far apart their genetics are, I think. Also not all hybrids are infertile. Males in various species have a higher likelihood of being sterile, apparently. Different types of animals have a higher or lower likelihood of infertility, depending on their crosses and such.

Also crossed of the same species but different clans would undoubtedly be fertile as the species remains the same. See/Kee's, Hells/Sea, High/mid, Dun/Plain, Dusk/Wild would likely all bear fertile offspring.

The largest issues for hybrid children would likely be (but not always) social prejudice. Seems a much higher if not exclusive potential issue for Elezen. I'm not sure the different miqo'te clans hold any real animosity towards each other but variations in appearance and the issue of breeding habits in their cultural construction might isolate the child by way of the mother or father (female Seekers/Male seekers breeding outside their tribal restrictions, female Keepers breeding at all with male seekers, etc.)

The devs pretty much straight up said the biggest hurdle to overcome when producing hybrids is social prejudice, because Eorzea is hilariously racist. The Elezen and Hyur have a lot of underlying social tensions because of the still relatively recent war between them, and the two Miqo'te clans, while not usually openly hostile to each other, are so dichotomous that they generally want nothing to do with one another.

It should be noted, the different "races" are not different species, as stated by SE. There is a common ancestor (somehow), which is why a mixed-race child could exist. 

As other have said though, the biggest hurdle would still be on the social end, because there is a lot of racism. Eorzeans recently put those tensions aside because they had bigger problems (the Garleans). 

Oddly enough, I'd almost expect to see more mixed-race children coming from the Garlean Empie because they don't seem to carry that racial tension. ...only just a strong notion of "join us or die".

It should be noted, the different "races" are not different species, as stated by SE. There is a common ancestor (somehow), which is why a mixed-race child could exist. 

As other have said though, the biggest hurdle would still be on the social end, because there is a lot of racism. Eorzeans recently put those tensions aside because they had bigger problems (the Garleans). 

Oddly enough, I'd almost expect to see more mixed-race children coming from the Garlean Empie because they don't seem to carry that racial tension. ...only just a strong notion of "join us or die".

Donkeys and horses, tigers and lions, bison and cows, and various other interbred hybrids that sometimes have sterility also have common ancestors.

*Possibly the oldest known true felid (Proailurus) lived in the late Oligocene and early Miocene epochs. During the Miocene, it gave way to Pseudaelurus. Pseudaelurus is believed to be the latest common ancestor of the two extant subfamilies and the extinct subfamily, Machairodontinae.

*Molecular phylogenies indicate the most recent common ancestor of all modern equids (members of the genus Equus) lived ~5.6 (3.9–7.8) mya. Direct paleogenomic sequencing of a 700,000 year-old middle Pleistocene horse metapodial bone from Canada implies a more recent 4.07 Myr before present date for the most recent common ancestor (MRCA) within the range of 4.0 to 4.5 Myr BP.[24] The oldest divergencies are the Asian hemiones (subgenus E. (Asinus)), including the kulan, onager, and kiang), followed by the African zebras (subgenera E. (Dolichohippus), and E. (Hippotigris)). All other modern forms including the domesticated horse (and many fossil Pliocene and Pleistocene forms) belong to the subgenus E. (Equus) which diverged ~4.8 (3.2–6.5) million years ago.[

*The closest relations to this tribe are the Boselaphini and Tragelaphini tribes. The common ancestor of all the Bovini species appears to have lived about 5–8 million years ago. The first clade to diverge was the buffalo clade (Bubalus and Syncerus species). This was followed by the banteng/gaur/gayal clade and the domestic cattle clade. A fourth clade leading to the bison and yak species may also exist.[1]

Of these three, apparently, bison and cows being interbred for hybrids typically aren't sterile.

There has to be some form of common ancestry in order for interbreeding to happen at all, but that alone obviously doesn't necessarily mean that the genetic variation between the two won't cause issues in the offspring such as sterility

*Interspecific hybrids are bred by mating two species, normally from within the same genus. The offspring display traits and characteristics of both parents. The offspring of an interspecific cross are very often sterile; thus, hybrid sterility prevents the movement of genes from one species to the other, keeping both species distinct.[12] Sterility is often attributed to the different number of chromosomes the two species have, for example donkeys have 62 chromosomes, while horses have 64 chromosomes, and mules and hinnies have 63 chromosomes.

It's been described as possible, but rare.

One day, I'm going to play short hyur with a cute face and the reddest skin I can and say his mother was a Roegadyn and his father a Lalafell. 

That's...That's kind of the only way I see that kind of hybrid being conceived. >.>

Sterility is often attributed to the different number of chromosomes the two species have, for example donkeys have 62 chromosomes, while horses have 64 chromosomes, and mules and hinnies have 63 chromosomes.

And all the "Races of Man" have the exact same number of chromosomes, making this an entirely moot point.

Haha, no, I don't know that for a fact, but I really doubt they even thought it through to that level of detail. Either way, it's mostly an irrelevant point because very few of us will RP cross-breeds when there's no way to represent them in-game and even fewer of those will try to breed.

Sterility is often attributed to the different number of chromosomes the two species have, for example donkeys have 62 chromosomes, while horses have 64 chromosomes, and mules and hinnies have 63 chromosomes.

And all the "Races of Man" have the exact same number of chromosomes, making this an entirely moot point.

Haha, no, I don't know that for a fact, but I really doubt they even thought it through to that level of detail. Either way, it's mostly an irrelevant point because very few of us will RP cross-breeds when there's no way to represent them in-game and even fewer of those will try to breed.

That's true. It is a pretty moot point and genetic messups happen all the time anyways so if anyone chooses to have one, it's probably going to be achievable in other ways. I just have a hard time seeing Midlanders being related immediately to a race that still has an enhanced olfactory gland, tail, vertical pupils, etc. or a race that's 3 ft tall. It sort of denotes whatever shared ancestor they had was thousands and thousands and thousands of years ago-- or I guess, magic. 

There are tons of people to roleplay crossbreeds, even without the ability to represent them in game. Midlander/Highlander is most popular, there's Seeker/Keeper, definitely some Wildwood/Duskwight, and possibly Hellsguard/Seawolf. I know at least one Plainsfolk/Duskfolk, and then some Miqo'te/Hyur, Elezen/Hyur, and so on. That first one is pretty popular.

Either way, it's mostly an irrelevant point because very few of us will RP cross-breeds when there's no way to represent them in-game and even fewer of those will try to breed.

...are we talking the same community here? There's been double-secret Garleans, voidsent and Au Ra since we've known about these things. Hell, there's already people playing crossbreeds.

It sort of denotes whatever shared ancestor they had was thousands and thousands and thousands of years ago-- or I guess, magic.

Well yes, of course. What's wrong with having a common ancestor of hundreds of thousands of years ago?

That everyone not beast tribe is a "son of Man" suggests some sort of shared ancestry.

If there was a shared ancestor, another thing comes to mind that I find even more fascinating;

Given the very specific ratial traits and how evolution works, it'd suggest that the ancestor race slept with something akin to giant-dogs to produce roegadyns, lions/tigers to produce Miqo'te and.. heck, I guess potatoes to create Lalafell.

Or;

The ancestor race combined ALL race traits (lol tailed hyurmiqolaladyn) And genetically each race kept dropping specific traits due to them becoming pointless in whatever life situation they existed in.

AND;

It also means you might have to hyurs breed and if there's a teeny bit of Miqo or roe in the family tree..well the offspring could be way bigger then supposed to and blue skinned.

Each are hilarious options

• 1 month later...

I am currently leveling an alt and I am now at the point where you're called into Waking Sands for the 1st time.

While chatting with other npcs I ran across Arenvald, as Ala Mhigan. He also has the echo (had that dream with Hydaelyn) and he and his companions refer to himself as a Garlean half-breed

It's very vague, but it seems like his father was a pure-blooded Garlean and may not have been a mere soldier from a conquered nation. It's also emphasized that he's a half-breed.

We know mixed race children are possible and are highly frowned upon. And based on his story, he was frowned upon as a child and his mother eventually abandoned him.

From what little we know of pure-blooded Garleans, their males pretty much look like highlanders are typically blond and they have a "3rd eye". Due to his hair style it's not known if he has that 3rd eye, and it doesn't help that most Highlanders originate from Ala Mhigo as well.

A shame he doesn't have a role in the plot, his story is very interesting and tragic.