Necromancy, death, and the undead.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what lore information there is on necromancy, if there is anything. Are there examples of it in the storyline? Is there any attempt to revive the dead?

I've seen zombies in the Hildibrand questline but I can't remember whether they're explained at all. Or even if it's meant to be taken seriously, given the general tone of those sidequests.

Finally, on a related note, burial is part of the standard funerary customs in Eorzea, right? Is there anything unusual about funerals in Eorzea?

Any resources, posts or videos you would be willing to share related to these questions would be very much appreciated.

Haukke, Siren and her horde, and, uhh... Tam-Tara Deepcroft HM.  To avoid anything more spoiler-y, I'll just leave it there and recommend you check out those instances *Nod*

I think Tam-tara Hard Mode is probably our best and closest example for it. Necromancy isn't really well defined in Eorzea, but that doesn't mean no one's tampering with the dead.

It's been a long time since I did the main story, but I thought I recalled them stating that people needed to be buried properly because otherwise they rise as restless spirits. I really liked that idea, for some reason. I suppose because it puts weight on the wanton slaughter we might otherwise see? It's one thing to have the guts to kill (and something so many people take so lightly in roleplay), but Eorzea has the added consequence of needing to take care of the body when you're finished. What's the point of avenging someone or righting a wrong via murderdeathkill if you just leave the body to rise and kill and eat someone else?

Be responsible with your corpses, kids.

I swear I have the attention span of a squirrel sometimes. Tam-Tara Deepcroft is a great example, thank you. ^^ I must say I don't quite remember the Haukke Manor storylines though, I'm going to look into it. Fortunately, Youtube seems to have cutscene videos of everything.

Also, thank you for your reply Warren, that helps. :)

Haukke seems to be less necromancy/meddling and more void/corruption, but that's just my interpretation. It's also a lalafell sex dungeon depending on who you ask!

The Hildebrand storyline also deals with zombies in some limited capacity but... I'd be very, very cautious about taking anything from those line as "canonical." Things get a little Hanna-Barbera over there.

(In 1.0 Edda was an NPC in a quest, of which, you had to stop her from learning necromancy)

Popping this under spoilers in case anyone hasn't done Tam-Tara HM:

The way Tam-Tara HM is presented, could easily be defined as necromancy, as well as the Void. Edda, after the death of her 'lover', Avere, wishes to find him a new body, the large, strange merely head-like entity you seen, only being temporary.

We find out that Edda has recently discovered, through a number of journal entries, a way to craft Avere a strong body, with powerful blood, and the soul of a particular adventurer! Regardless, eventually we find ourselves at the ritual circle where Edda and Avere's head are, and, strangely enough, the ritual circle itself, just reads Avere's name over and over again.

She used blood, and likely a number of other materials to imbue Avere's head onto a temporary host, if anything, just to give the two enough time to kill the adventurers, and make the 'transplant'.

Whether people think it's merely the 'void', I do believe this is a textbook example of necromancy itself. Edda -did- succeed, in reviving Avere back from the dead, in the form of a floating head. If she had slain the adventuring crew, would the transplant been successful? I believe it's highly likely, given all that Edda achieved already.

Ooh great question. I'd also point at Haukke and the various places skeletons are seen.

As a possible point, Nebbs, I believe it's been stated by Devs that the majority of the skeletons we've seen in the game are actually voidsent.

Whether or not this is true I haven't been able to confirm through a web search. 

The only thing I can say I learned is that their official classification is "Wights" and that they are a subtype of Ashkin.

Given how intertwined summoning the undead and demon/void magic is, even in the last boss fight of Tam Tara HM where there are voidsent enemies and voidsent popping out of portals and firing AoEs at you, I would say that necromancy is at LEAST connected to the void in some form.

Hmm. The Void and the dead connection is given some credence in locations. I know there's a big pile of imps north of Drybone around where the Undertaker FATE spawns.

A malevolent spirit, freed from his subterranean prison when the Calamity unearthed the Invisible City, is indiscriminately attacking those who journey into the ruins in search of fortune and knowledge. Seek out the Undertaker and release his soul from the fetters of the corporeal realm.

And some FATEs in the Shroud:

Someone or something has awakened souls laid to rest long ago in the Tam-Tara Deepcroft, and now the restless revenants seek blood!

A cadre of Spirithold-dwelling imps is planning a mass exodus into the Twelveswood to make their merry mischief. Trap them in the abandoned dungeon and see that they never leave.

A markedly mischievous monster known as Alux has been spotted hiding in Spirithold. Ambush the voidsent, and slay him before he can escape.

And a Guildhest:

Bockman, a wandering revenant trapped in the corporeal realm, has reclaimed his legendary suit of armor and now waits silently near the Tam--Tara Deepcroft for any who would challenge him. Not only does the undead knight brandish a massive blade capable of incapacitating multiple victims in one fell stroke, but when threatened, Bockman will summon his decaying minions from the pits of the seventh hell. Defeat the restless soul, and send him back to the Lifestream where he may, at long last, find peace.

There does seem to be a common occurrence of imps and the dead being near one another. Hmm. Hmmmm.

Given how intertwined summoning the undead and demon/void magic is, even in the last boss fight of Tam Tara HM where there are voidsent enemies and voidsent popping out of portals and firing AoEs at you, I would say that necromancy is at LEAST connected to the void in some form.

This has always been my assumption as well. ^ These things plus blood magic as mentioned above seem to come hand in hand from what I could see but I am by no means a lorehound.

I'd planned on responding to this sooner but didn't have time due to needing to get RL things done, BUT!

If you check the wiki of most skeletal-based creatures, you'll find things such as: "Risen from the gave by some unholy magic, these skeletons roam the dark places of Eorzea with a hatred untold of all of the five races."

Not to mention through the Tam-Tara quests, we find that Necromancy is certainly a thing. I don't think there's any real concrete lore on it. People obviously have souls, but how closely related are they to one's aether pool? Do people with better affinity for aether and its use have stronger souls/spiritual connection to the world, or?

As someone before mentioned with it having some sort of connection to the void, I believe that's a good assumption to make. Void magic seems to be a good way to get done what is normally not possible, and if you look up the wiki description of wisps, they state: "Wisps are widely believed to be the spiritual remnants of long-deceased souls. They display only limited cognitive abilities and react to their surroundings driven more by primitive inherent tendencies than complex reasoning. Using these observations as a foundation for their theory, certain scholars have formed the hypothesis that when wisps and plasmoids cross over into Eorzeafrom the void, they mistake the glowing fireflies of this world as brethren and instinctively begin emulating their actions, thus the similarities that we see between the three families."

So one could say, then, that it's possible to pull the souls of adventurers from the Void? But how would they get there in the first place? There's a lot that isn't really answered and more that is left to assumption.

Yeah I'm pretty sure there's a lot of the whole Void magics and such. You seem to get dead rising in places like Amdapor Keep HM too. Or the dead in Sastasha HM... or the zombies in Hildibrand.

Also the Alchemist questline deals with the guy trying to bring back his dead lover 5 years after the fact. I think it succeeds for a little bit.

lots of re-animation going on in the game though I'm not sure about the lore or how.

Put on your tinfoil, I've got some theory.

When someone dies, we know their soul moves on to the Lifestream, i.e. the circle of life/death/return. If what I remember about corpses needing to be tended so as to not rise (I sincerely wish I could remember where that came from) is true, and we combine that with what we know about the Voidsent (that they are always looking for cracks and pinholes in our world to slip through with) then... Well, the absence of a soul might makes for a pretty damn good pinhole.

Imps hang out around places where the dead are collected. It's probably something more complex than "quick, bind his hands so zombie Jim can't claw out of his coffin" but if you've got all of these corpses lying about, all of these canisters drawing the void to one place and all of these demons trying to slip through, it makes sense that we'd often see the Void and the Dead in the same places. Hell, I'd even go so far as to theorize that Avere's half-ahriman appearance is due to the fact that he's been dead for so long and Edda brings him to such a void-dense place (Tam-Tara being a place where the dead were kept, and some of those guys have been dead for a long time). It makes sense that such a tasty locale would harbor some of the stronger voidsent, and Avere's transformation just might have been something finally slipping through that pinhole.

Edit: Second theory: A soulless corpse might not be a pinhole, but it might be easier to control a dead body than it is to actually break through the barrier. We've seen through the THM questlines what voidsent possession looks like. Imagine that without a soul or a consciousness in the way to stop something malevolent from trying to control your body! Voidsent want to come through to Eorzea, but in lieu of that, why not do the next-best thing and just control something already here?

Edit: Second theory: A soulless corpse might not be a pinhole, but it might be easier to control a dead body than it is to actually break through the barrier. We've seen through the THM questlines what voidsent possession looks like. Imagine that without a soul or a consciousness in the way to stop something malevolent from trying to control your body! Voidsent want to come through to Eorzea, but in lieu of that, why not do the next-best thing and just control something already here?

This kind of picks up on what I mentioned about the wisps. They're considered/believed to be souls from the Void. Why couldn't they find a lifeless corpse and animate them? It says they're driven by primitive instincts and stuff, so it makes sense that they wouldn't really be able to function like a living individual.

This kind of picks up on what I mentioned about the wisps. They're considered/believed to be souls from the Void. Why couldn't they find a lifeless corpse and animate them? It says they're driven by primitive instincts and stuff, so it makes sense that they wouldn't really be able to function like a living individual.

Wisps and plasmoids are neat because they always seem to appear at crystalline structures. Off the top of my head I can think of three locations: The icy cave in Coerthas in the bottom left of the map, the lightning?-aspected cluster in Mor Dhona near the Castrum and the... I forget-element cluster in Outer La Noscea. Maybe spirits that fell "out" of the Lifestream wind up being led back to Eorzea by way of aether, but without flesh to give them a body they just... hang out. I'm thinking they're the light-counterpart to the ghosts and stuff.

That's a good point Warren.

Your last paragraph in particular is in line with many depictions of necromancy and non-magical reanimation. The idea that when you bring someone back, only the shell comes back, inhabited by something else.

You guys all have some impressive knowledge of the lore. ^^

Enh, we're just spitballing and piecing to together the clues SE left us.

I could just roll around in this thread in all the beautiful theorizing.

Personally, I'm also of the camp that necromancy and Void magic are very closely related. I won't rehash all the points that've already been made and the opinions stated, but Warren's point of 'Maybe a dead body could be an easy foothold for a Voidsent' is something I just wanted to repeat because I've also personally used this in Xheja's backstory. 

Of course, it's all just speculation at this point. But I think it's a fair assumption to make, given the anecdotal evidence in the game.

I think the repeat, world-wide occurrences of imps and corpses hanging out gives some real credence to this. Until SE tells us otherwise, it should be fair to run with.

Pre-post Edit:

AHA! I FOUND IT.

#1 Iliud Death begets death, especially in those places where privation is the sovereign. A corse left unburied is as a rich field to vilekin, where they may sow pestilence and water it with their miasma.

So... I was wrong about bodies unburied turning into zombies. Vilekin are just the gross bug-type enemies. Still, I found it! Time to amend theories...

I come with Lore! Lots of it!

Necromancy is a canon thing in Eorzea, but it is more commonly referred to as... Thaumaturgy. According to several NPCs over the years, ancient Thaumaturgy was once (and still is to a select few) capable of returning the dead from Thal's realm. By ancient Thaumaturgy, I specifically refer to the time of Belah'dia, whose magi left over from the 5th Astral Era were still renowned for their gifts. A favored practice of Belah'dia was animating inanimate objects to use as their armies, but this also included fallen soldiers.

After Belah'dia came Ul'dah and Sil'dih, twin cities belonging to twin brothers. For years, these cities coexisted competitively yet harmoniously. Until, roughly 400 years ago, when a devastating drought struck the desert. Ul'dah attacked Sil'dih for their water resources. Even after uniting their people to defend against Ul'dah, Sil'dih's forces were poorly matched against the might of Ul'dah. So the Thaumaturges of Sil'dih devised a last ditch effort to secure victory. They zombified their fallen soldiers like the Belah'dians of eld and sought to sick them upon Ul'dah. However, the result was disastrous. The zombies turned on the Sil'dihns and Ul'dah sealed the city off, trapping both the living and the dead within like a tomb.

At least... that's how history writes it. We later learned that the zombification was a devise of Ul'dahn alchemical making. While the Sil'dihns may or may not have attempted to raise their fallen soldiers, Ul'dah was content in unleashing their agent upon the still-living Sil'dihns, causing them to necrose.

This is why Thanalan is covered in zombies. They are the remains of long dead Sil'dihns and even Belah'dians who were resurrected using ancient Thaumaturgy or Ul'dah's alchemical concoction, known as The Trader's Spurn.

Sil'dih was plunged into chaos in the wake of King Lalawefu's demise─or the King of Springs, as he was known. Despite the success of his economic reforms, the tax increases he imposed did not sit well with his subjects. This, coupled with a prolonged sequence of untimely droughts, fomented unrest among the people and in time sparked violent unrest throughout the kingdom.

Sil'dih was not alone in its want for water. Ul'dah, too, felt the effects of the droughts. The sultan at the time, Sasagan Ul Sisigan─ Ah! But perhaps you recognize the Ul name? The current sultana, Nanamo Ul Namo, represents the second Ul dynasty. She is Sasagan's distant descendant. Now...where was I? Ah, yes! Right, so, Sasagan ordered an attack on Sil'dih to claim the water resources discovered as a result of Lalawefu's flood control acts.

But the royalty and nobility of Sil'dih would not remain idle. They mobilized their nation in the face of this crisis, and the people fought with great tenacity against the Ul'dahn threat. The full strength of both nations met in battle, and the end result was an arduous protracted conflict. Though arguably more desirable than surrender, the ruling Sil'dihn elite took little pleasure in having succeeded in uniting the theretofore querulous citizenry to fight. For despite all they accomplished, every day spent waging war dragged the nation's financial affairs─which you will recall had only just been brought under control─back into the mire.

To bring an end to the long military deadlock, Sil'dih devised and set about implementing a perverse yet ambitious strategy. It sought to zombify the deceased among its army, that they might fight again. At first, it appeared to have worked. Yet at the height of hostilities, the Sil'dihns lost control over their necrotic creations. The undead turned on their masters, and before long the zombification had spread to a majority of the population.

Ever knowing an opportunity when they saw one, the Ul'dahns grasped this turn of events to justify their war─now proclaiming it a crusade to send these zombies to Thal. After seeing to the extermination of all zombies outside the city, they then sealed the gates of Sil'dih, entrapping both the living and dead within.

The Ruins of Sil'dih

The city-states of Ul'dah and Sil'dih coexisted for generations until 400 years ago when bad blood festering betwixt the two sultanates culminated in the War of the Sisters - leaving Sil'dih a smoldering pile of rubble to be claimed by the shifting desert sands. The subsequent relocation of Ul'dah placed the city-state nearly directly above her fallen sibling.

As the histories tell it, the battles fought between the sister nations were the stuff of nightmares. In a desperate attempt to overcome Ul'dah's superior numbers, Sil'dihn alchemists devised a most horrific strategem. Employing a frightful formula known as the Trader's Spurn, they brought their fallen allies back from Thal's realm. Some theories have it that they even employed the potion on those of the living who were too weak or wounded to fight.

Moving past the horrors of Sil'dih, in more recent times (15 years ago) the former High Priest Mumuepo of the Order of Nald'thal also admits to possessing the power to raise the dead back to the living. In the 1.0 Ul'dahn MSQ, we are introduced to the story of Minfilia's father, Warburton, a double agent working for Garlemald and the Ala Mhigan Resistance. After his untimely demise at the hands of his partner Corguevais, his Ul'dahn handlers Niellefresne and F'lhaminn consort with Mumuepo in an attempt to temporarily restore life to Warburton and glean what secret information he had against Garlemald. (At the time he was returning with information on Garlemald's impending attack.) However, before the rite could be completed, Niellefresne was murdered by a Garlean agent, possibly Warburton (who may or may not actually be dead).

(@8:45)

As for ghosts and revenants and the like, these are souls who are bound to this realm and their soul remains long after their aether has returned to the lifestream. This also applies to Tempered people who are slain. The Tempering process binds them to this realm and even in death, they are trapped here.

Woodsin Thrall

Albin the Ashen

When the Hyuran tribe came to Thanalan some 800 years ago, Albin the Ashen was at the head of one of the columns. Then-native Belah'dians rose against the invaders and prevailed, as history records. Albin was but one of many slain in the abortive conquest, yet his mortal coil still roams the land in search of vengeance.

Flame Sergeant Dalvag

Flame Sergeant Dalvag was among the thousands of defenders who met the Garlean invasion force in northern Thanalan soon after the Calamity. His company was ill placed to hold their position, yet given strict orders not to retreat. Many fell, and suffered much in the falling. Multiple witnesses attest that Dalvag was the last of the company and fought as a man possessed till the end, the names of the dead tumbling in hoarse barks through cracked lips. Scholars theorize that his mortal remains are animated by a thirst for vengeance alone.

Haukke Manor! Arguably not necromancy and more along the lines of this is what happens when you deal with the Void. Lady Amandine, in her crazed attempt at remaining beautiful as she aged, began bathing in the blood of her virgin maidservants. However, no amount of man-made solutions would counteract the scars that were inflicted upon her during the Calamity. So she turned to the Void and offered up her body and those of all she'd slain.

Once used by Seedseers as a place of spiritual reflection and meditation, Haukke Manor was long frowned upon by the people of Gridania as a symbol of excess. After years of protest, the building was finally sold to a wealthy Duskwight by the name of Lady Amandine.

While little is known of the lady, it was said that she was exceptionally vain, and that to maintain her impeccable beauty, she would spare no expense. From facial creams concocted from rare Coerthan honeys to shampoos derived from the milk of exotic phurbles, her daily ritual of beauty treatments escalated until it was rumored she was bathing in the blood of her virgin maidservants. No amount of man-made tinctures, however, could hide the hideous scars she eventually suffered during the Calamity, and soon she was forced to turn to a darker solution, signing away her very soul in a final effort to literally "save face."

Scarred by the Calamity and warped by vanity, the lady of House Dartancours has made a bargain with the voidsent - and lost her soul, as is so often the case with such sketchy arrangements. Now, her manor house is a lair to all manner of dark beings, and the elite band of Wood Wailers sent to purge them has failed to report back. A second try is now in the works.

Succubi manifest on the physical plane by forcing their souls into the bodies of deceased women. Once the transition is complete' date=' the resultant creature is said to be both fair and fey to look upon. Still more disconcerting, researchers claim that these voidsent occasionally exhibit the personality traits of their deceased hosts. Succubi occupy the third and fourth rungs of the voidsent hierarchy.[/quote']

Edda's storyline with Avere is a fun one. Most certainly an attempt at Necromancy, although a very butchered one because Avere's head was severed from his body... meaning he had no body to return life to. Just a head. This is where Edda began sifting through the crypt of Tam-Tara in search of the perfect host for her husband to be. Now the only two sure-fire methods we know of to raise the dead are Thaumaturgy and Alchemy. Edda's approach doesn't truly seem to match either one, but could be a mixture of both, or of some Void-depraved method, given the state of Avere's head...

When the guiding light of one's life is extinguished, it takes uncommon strength of spirit to clamber out of the black pits of despair. Those who want for resilience may yet be pulled up by a friend's helping hand, but what becomes of a brokenhearted maiden who has neither the strength nor the succor to overcome the darkness that threatens to consume her? The answer shall be revealed through the tragic tale that begins with the arrival of a single letter...

It's been a long time since I did the main story, but I thought I recalled them stating that people needed to be buried properly because otherwise they rise as restless spirits.

Eorzea's preferred method is burial, although I seem to recall some mention of cremation somewhere? Couldn't find where though, so might just be in my head. Anyways! Burials! In Ul'dah the Order of Nald'thal (the THM's Guild) is responsible for performing the burial rites on all Ul'dahn citizens and sometimes those beyond. There's a 1.0 THM quest where you visit Limsa Lominsa attempting to sell graves. Yes, you heard right. Ultimately, it ends up being a marginal success, although most of Lominsans prefer to be buried at sea. Anyroad, after the massive death toll of the Calamity, Ul'dah's crypts are overflowing and most all dead people are now being buried in Drybone's Lichyard instead.

Now, it is heavily implied throughout 1.0 that leaving a dead body is a pretty bad thing and may result in revenants or ghouls taking over the form, such as Bockman who was sited earlier in the thread. However, this does not seem to happen all the time, so it may just be a rare occurance. Either way... bury your dead - just to be safe.

What would you like done with the remains? He was not a citizen of Ul'dah. You will have to appeal to Arrzaneth Ossuary to make arrangements. I should think medical expenses and internment costs will come to upward of one and a half million gil. ...Then take his corpse out of here yourself. Leave it beyond the city walls, if you must. I'm sure the crows and the beetles will be happy to save you the cost of a burial. But whatever you do, do it quickly.

The cost of not burying the deceased is far greater than the cost of burying them. Those not properly returned to Hydaelyn are damned to spend an eternity wandering the wastes!

I am aware of what the scriptures teach, it's just... There is no money.

(@17:45)

'Tis a peaceful place for the most part. A lot of folk as perished in the Calamity are interred here - no room left in the city, ye see - and their loved ones come to pay their respects. Of course, people also come bearin' the bodies of the recently deceased, so the church always has its hands full attendin' to everyone's needs.

Hope this helps! ^^

WEEEEEE ANOTHER EDIT FOLKS!

So I knew I'd seen cremation somewhere, so I went looking. Sure enough!

Oh, and by way of parting advice... get rid of Avere's head! Bury it, cremate it, do whatever the hells you like with it - but for gods' sakes, stop carrying it around! It's... It's just... Just get rid of it alright!?

So, cremation canon. And if we combine that quote with this one:

The cost of not burying the deceased is far greater than the cost of burying them. Those not properly returned to Hydaelyn are damned to spend an eternity wandering the wastes!

Well, I think we have a more full picture of what eventually happened to Avere's head. Well... that and the notes strewn around Tam-Tara tell us the head starts talking to her. Pretty sad and creepy! Check it out!

Scarcely a week has passed since we returned to the village, and already I cannot help thinking it was a mistake. There was a time when this place seemed just large enough. But having see the wider world, it all feels so insufferably confined that I often find myself struggling for breath. I know that it is the same for you, my love.

The only time I feel truly alive is when I am adventuring with you. We are as caged birds in this backwater. So long as we remain here, we will never spread our wings and soar. So let us take to the road and create a lifetime of wonderful memories together.

I could not have hoped for a more romantic first visit to Mor Dhona. The crystals that pierce the landscape glowed in all their majesty, as if to celebrate our future together. And as we lazed by Silvertear Lake, watching the waves lapping at the shore, the sun took its leave behind the horizon, that we might enjoy a moment of intimacy.

"I want us to be together forever." You first said these words to me years ago, and you said them to me again tonight. I am so happy to be with you.

You have been looking deathly pale of late. The scorching heat of Thanalan does not agree with you. You were never fond of hot climes' date=' and it was a mistake to come here. Let us make for Coerthas, where the bracing air will put roses on your cheeks.[/quote']

I know' date=' I know - It is not easy being without a body. I promise to find one for you, but you must have patience. You are my husband-to-be, and there is nothing I would not do for you, so please, have faith in me. Give me time, my love, and I shall make you whole again, as you make me.[/quote']

I am sorry to keep you waiting, my love, but we cannot afford to compromise--not where your new body is concerned. Ordinary adventurers die often enough, leaving their ordinary corpses, but if you are to be like Sounsyy we cannot settle for anything less than extraordinary.

But a strong body requires an equally strong soul--as I recently discovered. Now, you are probably worried that strong souls are rare, and so they are--but never fear, for we can create one ourselves! All we need is a plentiful supply of the weaker kind, and they are common indeed. Be patient just a little longer, my love, and all will be as you desire.

With the nigh endless supply of bodies here' date=' I will make you well again, my love. Then we shall be wed as man and wife, and forever be joined as the gods intended. Of course, it is only fitting that a proper ceremony be held, with guests in attendance. i will send out invitations to all our friends. They will be so happy for us, I have no doubt they will jump at the chance to part with their souls.[/quote']

OHHHH ALSO! If you want to add on a whole other layer of emotional trauma to that whole storyline. The REASON Liavinne doesn't like Edda, is because SHE loved Avere! Avere was hittin' it with both women! /dramabomb.

Liavinne's Confession Part 1

Liavinne's Confession Part 2