Regarding Dark Knight...

Would you be on ICly?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be on ICly?

• Heeeeell yeah!
    • Uh uh.

I look forward to many explanations of how "bigger is not always better" and how a sword through their the lungs and heart  is oftentimes just as deadly if not deadlier than the swing of some massive piece of metal that relies on momentum and power rather than finesse and skill =P

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be playing DRK, because I play all the classes. I love levelling the things, so I'll do it eventually without doubt.

I've taken on a teeny bit of the 'jack of all trades' idea into Qhora, with the idea that she's gone to everyone (NPCs, classes not jobs) willing to teach a thing and asked 'what can I pay you teach me that I can learn with relatively little effort'. I've scaled that back the more I play her, figuring she specializes as she comes into her own.

That being said, I can't see her touching a greatsword with a ten foot pole IC. Unwieldy, for style only, a style that doesn't suit her at all, nahhh. Not gonna do it. She might tinker with a few things from whoever's teaching machinist. She might learn how to read a few star maps from astrologians. But the greatsword, she'll probably just look at and say 'no, thanks'. She might be an emo emo kid with emo hair and emo rage, but DRK's just not my style of tea, nor hers. No big.

Now if they did scythes, and she could use it for farming vast swathes of broombrush as well... That's a different kettle of tea.

If we're going to go by game statistics, Seekers of the Sun are supposed to be of equivalent strength to Midlander Hyurs. Base strength statistics for all the various clans do actually reflect their cultures and the like. Highlanders have a higher base strength pool than Midlanders for obvious reasons. Seekers have a higher strength pool than keepers. Seawolves have a higher strength pool than Hellsguard (who are more magically inclined). Could go on and on, but, bottom line, Seekers and Midlanders are equivlanet.

Well, I was referring to lore, not stats

snip

It's more that Miqo'te PCs seem to be anything they fancy without consideration to the racial lore

First of all, show me in the lore where it says that Miqo'te shouldn't be strong enough to wield a great sword.

Second, it's a myth that great swords were ridiculously heavy, they were not. The heaviest practical great swords were eight pounds at the most. By the way, when you're swinging around eight pounds of metal in a fight endurance makes way more of a difference than lifting power. So it's entirely possible that Miqo'te would be better at it than a Highlander if we're going with this crappy logic.

Third, watch Raubahn in the most recent cutscenes. That's proof that physical fighters use aether to make themselves stronger, which invalidates every argument about physical limitations for any race/size/gender, period.

In case you haven't seen it, he kicks through a pillar and slams his sword so hard into the stone floor that it shatters. This coupled with what we see melee do in game pretty much seals the deal about aether amplifying physical capabilities, as there is no other explanation for that and Raubahn being able to do what he does.

Finally, I RP'd a Miqo'te Keeper male that was only a Conjurer, couldn't fight worth shit, hell he couldn't even read. So stuff your commentary about Miqo'te PCs.

I don't see why you have to play a brooding, emo Dark Knight either. It's dark magics, probably dark aether, not really dark character. Be a chipper Dark Knight if you want too!

I've actually considered it for my Au Ra Langli - who is SUPER upbeat (Read: Annoying) and her brother will be a DRK icly - just for the funsies. But, Langli has always been a monk in every game I've put her in and it would be hard to part with. She'd basically be like Rikku with a giant sword... IT'S SO TEMPTING.

Need to see the lore on it though.

ffxiv3-860x280.jpg

brace-yourselves-for-they-are-coming.jpg

But on a serious note, I wanted Aaron to have a great sword since I first bought the game. Only reason I EVER started off with PLD was because I thought they'd at least have ONE great sword. Needless to say I was disappointed.

However Rogue got me hooked. I like the dual wield look. If anything Aaron will probably be a Rogue -> Machinist -> Dark Knight in that order of frequency.

Because let's face it, Aaron all about the blades and guns.

Aleria might look sexy toting around a huge ass sword though. . . or a bigass gun. . .

I don't see why you have to play a brooding, emo Dark Knight either. It's dark magics, probably dark aether, not really dark character. Be a chipper Dark Knight if you want too!

This made me think of Dante from DMC. Ya know, the fun loving one from the old games and not the foul mouthed douche from that horrible remake.

Now I wanna go back and replay 3, again.

Apparently from tidbits about them we know they're gonna have a European-inspired naming convention.

I have 10 bucks on russian.

We have links to these tidbits? I'm dying for AuRa lore.

Swimmington Scalington Of Yorkenshire the 1st.

I've actually considered it for my Au Ra Langli - 

Named already whyyyyyy

Apparently from tidbits about them we know they're gonna have a European-inspired naming convention.

I have 10 bucks on russian.

We have links to these tidbits? I'm dying for AuRa lore.

It's not much but here you go.

Fernehalwes: Hello everyone!

I just wanted to pop in and give a tiny update on the Au Ra. I'm still not allowed to reveal a lot (under punishment of defenestration...and we're on the 18th floor), but here are three things I can tell you:

1. What is the official pronunciation of Au Ra again?

Those of you who've already seen the Fan Fes videos will probably already know, but it's always good to have something in writing somewhere, just in case. Despite the similarity in spelling Au Ra does not sound like "aura." The official pronunciation is Au=Ow (as in "ou"ch) Ra=Raw (as in WWE sushi).

2. Hyur is Hyuran. Lalafell is Lalafellin. What on Earth Hydaelyn is the adjectival form of Au Ra?

This one's a little special. Instead of just tacking an 'n' to the end of Ra, the term takes on a slight metamorphosis. Au Ra -> Auri (pronounced Ow-ree, rhymes with Maori). Example: "An Auri warrior can eat a whole turkey in a single sitting."

3. When are we going to get a naming guide!? I need to start thinking of what I'm going to call the new character I roll in June!

The naming rules for both clans have been finalized and work is being done fleshing out the lore behind it all. Things will be somewhat similar to what was done with the Hyur (drawing from historic names) but the with the regional and linguistic roots being completely different. Surnames will also feature a special set of rules that can be followed to the T, or slightly modified if a player wants to be adventurous.

I will be adding a detailed (sticky) explanation right here to the forums once Yoshi-P has given me the green light...which hopefully will be sooner than later!

Until then!

Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/211564-Au-Ra-physiology-and-other-lore.?p=2825255&viewfull=1#post2825255

I know I'll try to ICly make Ramomo here a Dork Doge Christian Bale Batman Dark Knight. If the whole application process seems workable into her current storyline or the circumstances around her. 

Otherwise she'll be a Black Mage alternating between Staff, Axe, and Greatsword. Robes and Armor. The rationale being "As much as I can make things explode with my staff and how I feel so damn powerful wielding a glowing axe, this overgrown sword look cool."

I'm already working on how she tweaks her aether to help her swing her axe and how she basically vents the anger/rage/psyched out barbarity that comes with being taught how to warrior as otherwise snide or smart-assed responses to stupid questions and/or statements or those she finds stupid. That and well the fact she can make things explode at will seems to be a nice balance for it I'm pretty sure I can use those self same explosions and her fascination with such to help her manage the 'power of dorkness darkness' within. 

I'm not letting go of the whole 'Black Dark Mage Knight Warrior' idea I have for her. Even though the Dark bit can be covered by the Black Mage side/her personality and the Knight can kinda be twisted into her Warrior side/her personality so much so that she can still be a Black Mage Warrior swinging a greatsword.

Greatswords man.

I think a LOT of folks are fixated on the "Dark" part instead of the "Knight" bit. Honestly, I'm assuming the Dark is just the form of aether, wielded by a group of folks who follow a code of chivalric conduct as a means to protect themselves from whatever intent their power comes from and use it to protect others.

Of course, there's the "ronin" card that plays in with the historical Dark Knight as well, which could be further helped out by people being scared of the sort of aether the Job wields...and since Steel is a wandering sellsword as it is now, that plays right in to her story.

She tried the path of the Holy Knight and the words rang empty. She learned and saw how ferocity fuels the need to help others by working with the Brotherhood of Ash. She took up the greataxe to learn how to tap into that power, but it's not enough for her. She needs more power to become what, in her mind, will be a champion for the realm. Dark energies intrigue her and seem to be the best avenue to become that champion.

Of course, some people can be just so jovial or unaffected by bad things that they could toss about waves of umbral energy and still tell a joke at the end. That's more than feasible and always welcome. "Dark" doesn't mean it has to have some form of personal or emotional impact--it could mean nothing deeper than "Our spells are mostly black in color". Or their effects would be seen by someone on the outside as "dark" in purpose.

The beauty of RP--despite some of the oh-so-high-LARIOUS grumbling in this thread--is that there's nothing really "wrong" with one's approach. And if one finds a person's approach wrong? You just ignore it and move on with the rest of your life, literal and digital.

In the end, im really just waiting for what happens after every new class exists for a while.

Everyone is one for the beginning. Couple months later they slowly (well majority) go back to other classes (like the Nin influx)

I also honestly don't expect a lotta people to have DRK for long. From my experience of getting asked to "tank this dungeon because I hate tanking" I expect the majority to get sick of tanking and the hassle of trying to out aggro ballsy dps.

In popularity, I believe of the 3 classes DRK will be the least popular and MCH the most.

In the end, im really just waiting for what happens after every new class exists for a while.

Everyone is one for the beginning. Couple months later they slowly (well majority) go back to other classes (like the Nin influx)

I also honestly don't expect a lotta people to have DRK for long. From my experience of getting asked to "tank this dungeon because I hate tanking" I expect the majority to get sick of tanking and the hassle of trying to out aggro ballsy dps.

In popularity, I believe of the 3 classes DRK will be the least popular and MCH the most.

This can be abbreviated thusly:

In popularity, I believe of the 3 classes TANK will be the least popular and DPS the most.

It's the classic issue with Holy Trinity design: People are intimidated by tanking roles and while they might level it, they won't be using it.