Regarding Dark Knight...

Would you be on ICly?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be on ICly?

• Heeeeell yeah!
    • Uh uh.

Maybe I'm just missing the point here, but...

People understand you can just RP as a swordsman, right? Like... you could just be a Knight, and not a... Dark... Knight?

No one has ever thought of that ever.

I mean, you think I'm being silly, but I'm sitting here watching LS chat every day where folks are like "I want to RP a dark knight, but I don't want to be Evil McBadguy, how do?" and I'm just like

"... what?"

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of it is that we won't be getting a great sword class the same way we have Gladiator for Sword and Shield, or Marauder for Axe. 

It's pretty much Dark Knight or no great sword in game.

I do agree it's a little much that some people are already RPing Dark Knights, but it's not like I RP with them so... it's whatever.

I'll level DRK to have a greatsword, but no forced edgelord shite for me. A character's anguish should come from their personal experiences and background, not a contrived profession which validates said anguish (not saying DRK will be like that in FFXIV, but I think a lot of people see DRK that waY).

I don't know if it'll fit my own headcanon for actual combat in doing a dungeon IC, though. A lot of the actions seem less 'dude swings big sword', but a plethora of magical attacks with it as well. Compare that to GLD which is mostly various flourishes and sword spins.

Bad ideas/concepts/plots are played, not made.

Like. . .

Don’t wax poetic about all your DARK and MUDEROUS rage publicly and you should do fine. I’m also going to take a shot in the dark here and say Dark Knights aren’t horribly known to common folk. It’s probably not the sort of thing you talk about when you first meet someone unless they happen upon your character throwing FRIGGIN’S SICK magical fast balls.

While I won’t be playing DRK (ASTROLOGIAN AND MACHINIST,HOLLA) I’m pretty much down to play with people who are so long as they aren’t using it as the one defining thing about their character. If someone has an interesting character and good roleplay and fun plots like. . . What does it matter? What the hell does it matter? Dark Knight sounds potentially cool as hell. 

I don't know anything about the lore but I highly, highly doubt I will be one - just a greatsword wielder. My idea for my Au Ra was developed before I even thought about what class he'd be, but a greatsword definitely fits that bill in the end.

Having said that, under certain circumstances he could certainly turn into an uncontrollable machine(i.e if his master is in serious danger), but other than that he will usually be very stoic and level-headed about everything, even in battle.

Edit:

Ah, yeah... magic.

Have never been a fan of non-mages doing that but I guess I might consider having a character use it for once. We'll see.

What does it matter? What the hell does it matter?

See: Terribad Nunh RPers

Rpfucious said that he who use a singular detail, be it their sexual dominance in a pack or MUH DARKNESS to justify their entire character, is renamed Mary Sue, or just flat out uninteresting and flat.

Yeah, but like...

Repeat after me.

There is no such thing as roleplaying wrong. Everyone is allowed to do as they please. If you don't like something, it's really, really easy to just ignore it!

But we're going to delve into RP elitism at some point or another with this conversation. So! In an effort to keep it on-topic.

My main is going to be rerolled into a Dark Knight. Though I can't say for certain if it's going to be IC or not--since it all really depends on the lore. You can probably start making educated guesses based on how the mechanics work, to a degree, even if we hardly know anything about those to begin with.

Such as: We know they have a stance they activate that drains MP but generates "darkness" as well as buffing themselves. That sounds like it has potential voidkin-related applications, as things from the Void have a tendency to suck the aether/mana/whatever out of things they're attached to.

So it's possible that it'll be something like... Oh, I dunno. Making a pact with a minor voidkin to become partially voidtouched. You give it aether, it gives you power. That could be neat, right? 

There are a million things it could work off of and we honestly have no idea what the lore is going to look like without throwing out wild speculation. It's a bit too early to throw the baby out with the bathwater, I think.

Mary Sue

Sexist misogynist alert!

I'mbeingsarcasticifyoucan'ttell

RESPECT MY PRONOUNS CIS SCUM

But yeah there's such thing as bad RP, there's a spectrum to everything. Pulling the elitism card is just a blanket defense against muh equality n' fairness. No, there's such thing as good and bad everything. Don't lie to people by saying they're not bad, encourage them to be better.

BACK ON TOPIC:

In all regards though, DRK is a wicked class and I expect more or less general PLD RPers to just be getting a bigger sword and proceeding a usual. Mages might pick it up as a means to incorporate magic into their newfound blademastery, hell, it's super open ended. There's gonna be the lot that will pull the uncreative card and just Guts McEdge all over the place though. And that's as normal as a Miqo ERPer in the QS wearing nothing but the Hempen set charging 40k an RP. I love Ul'Dah. I love you.

Mary Sue

Sexist misogynist alert!

But yeah there's such thing as bad RP, there's a spectrum to everything. Pulling the elitism card is just a blanket defense against muh equality n' fairness. No, there's such thing as good and bad everything. Don't lie to people by saying they're not bad, encourage them to be better.

BACK ON TOPIC:

In all regards though, DRK is a wicked class and I expect more or less general PLD RPers to just be getting a bigger sword and proceeding a usual. Mages might pick it up as a means to incorporate magic into their newfound blademastery, hell, it's super open ended. There's gonna be the lot that will pull the uncreative card and just Guts McEdge all over the place though. And that's as normal as a Miqo ERPer in the QS wearing nothing but the Hempen set charging 40k an RP. I love Ul'Dah. I love you.

And then there'll be the few people who take and respect the concept of Dark Knight and play it as something awesome and engaging. 

There's a spectrum for everything, if some people want to water down the job into mundane greatsword swinging, then it's cool for others to want to pump it up into the dark magic using bigsword edgy badassery.

And I'll be roleplaying with the folks on both ends and having a blast.

Mary Sue

Sexist misogynist alert!

BACK ON TOPIC:

And then there'll be the few people who take and respect the concept of Dark Knight and play it as something awesome and engaging. 

There's a spectrum for everything, if some people want to water down the job into mundane greatsword swinging, then it's cool for others to want to pump it up into the dark magic using bigsword edgy badassery.

And I'll be roleplaying with the folks on both ends and having a blast.

^This right here. Hell yes.

LEMME SUM UP MY BEEF IN A SINGLE PICTURE, THOUGH:

26544779aideh.jpg

I do think that there's an objective good and bad to roleplay. There's a lot of things people are universally going to agree on for either side. At least create an environment where people who WANT to pull the topic off well aren't afraid to play their characters.

Ok, so a DRK is basically a wielder of a two-handed sword.

Here's one to RP!

*cue Dirk the Daring*

...Telly, you're a genius! xD

While we're mining the 80's for "People with Swords Who Are Maybe Magical But Not Grimdark Goths"....

He-Man and She-Ra (You want tanks, you got tanks.)

Conan (Emperor's Invisible gear makes it possible) and Red Sonja

Blackstar (look it up)

Lion-o. (However, you ARE required to do the Thing to invite members to your party)

Thundarr. (Lords of Light!)

Star Wars doesn't really count, though I guess you could play a Jedi or Kyle Katarn or Starkiller in your head and not tell anyone. DRK is already pretty much Magical Sith, though, so none of those.

So, considering a DRK should be able to glamor the Emperor's New ____ over their OMG Japanese Grimdark gear and run around in skimpiness (Look, I know we have bikini-raiders in here somewhere)...

Oh, and since every bad barbarian movie is about somebody with a sword and NOT a shield, click the link below, but do so at your peril, for it is filled with reasons why people laugh at the genre....

The Barbarian Checklist (Adult Themes. Ayup.)

I've made no small mention that Judge is going to be a "DRK" when it comes out. But only mechanically - i.e. dude with a big two-handed sword. If I actually use his IG DRK abilities, I'll probably refluff them to match what he's supposed to be IC...

Ffta-cid.jpg

And that is a Judgemaster (JDG?). That Zweihander is his Judge Blade. Even in his "make your character into a raid boss" fight, I have him using abilities taken from Cid in FFTA. I even managed to adapt Judge Points into a thing in it, which I'm rather proud of. :lol:

Any grimdark he possesses is due to his background and whatnot, and not at all related to the fact that he's mechanically a DRK. More likely than not, though, he'll just be running around with his black-and-white viewpoint doing Judge-y things.

It's funny you outline that, because "magically-powered barbarianess" is the sort of angle I'm taking this job with Steel...though not quite as "simply" as that.

She will be wearing armor, though. Because none of the "true barbarian" styles look...well, they look stupid.

I dunno. I might make my alt into one if I can without making it mary-sueish. I'm not going to try real hard to work around the lore, though I imagine it to be snowflakey like Dragoon or White mage.

Hard mode: Don't make it Guts from Berserk.

Impossible mode: Don't make it have anything to do with MUH DARKNESS.

And btw, I really need to watch/read that.

I really love Berserk, personally, but not so much that I want to RP it all the time. I'll be (attempting) to put my own spin on things for my Au Ra DRK....hopefully without stepping on the landmine known as terribad (I was actually just talking to Aysun about these concerns last night, weirdly enough) backstory.

♪I'm a dark knight and I'm okay.

I've got a big sword and I angst all day

I glare at mobs, I swing my sword,

I go out and Arrpeee!

On Lightsdays I go shoppin'!

And have Lalafels for tea!

I cut down mobs, I skip and jump,

I like to pick out glamors,

I put on grimdark armor,

And hang out in Ul'dah!

I chop down mobs, I frost my hair,

And sigh an awful lot.

I wish I'd been an Au Ra

Just like my dear papa!

I think there's two sides to this whole thing here.

Some people wanna RP DRK for the weapon, some people wanna RP DRK for the DRK.

Pretty much like that for every job, really. You could even use the main slot as an object.

Take Conjurer. I've seen shit ranging from people RP'ing as holy-god-damn wizards, to people literally using the cane as a way to guide their walking because they're blind, or because they're old.

I don't really think having a base class matters. Like with Lancer, you could RP as being a Woodwailer like the quests are, but you could also be a guy serving in an Ishguardian battalion. Or just a dude that knows how to use a spear.

I personally welcome the DRK overlords, because now I will actually be able to make my character put both friggin' hands on his sword.

*Sniffles* It's a big deal for me man. :cry:

Two things I'm looking forward to the most about DRK RP...

- Having Kale burst out laughing whenever someone unironically tells him that they're a "Dark Knight"

- Giving Miqo'te DRKs even more shit by saying "lol, how can your catboy arms even carry that thing without snapping?" (incidentally, I think Miqo'te have stronger leg muscles than arms)

Giving Miqo'te DRKs even more shit by saying "lol, how can your catboy arms even carry that thing without snapping?" (incidentally, I think Miqo'te have stronger leg muscles than arms)

If we're going to go by game statistics, Seekers of the Sun are supposed to be of equivalent strength to Midlander Hyurs. Base strength statistics for all the various clans do actually reflect their cultures and the like. Highlanders have a higher base strength pool than Midlanders for obvious reasons. Seekers have a higher strength pool than keepers. Seawolves have a higher strength pool than Hellsguard (who are more magically inclined). Could go on and on, but, bottom line, Seekers and Midlanders are equivlanet.

I've wanted Greatswords for Merri ever since he first came into being some five years ago. It's been a long, long wait, but I'm absolutely psyched for it. That being said, I'm not so sure I plan on playing him as a Dark Knight. He's far to upbeat and positive of a character to go down that road, though I suppose it depends entirely on how dark magic plays out in Eorzea.

I don't ever plan on turning Endemerrin into some dark, seething character, as it's just not something I'd enjoy playing, so unless he can keep his general joviality and wield dark magic, it's probably not going to happen. That, and as a character he was built to be abysmal at wielding magic for a handful of reasons, so that'd be another hurdle to overcome.

But yes please, greatswords.

If we're going to go by game statistics, Seekers of the Sun are supposed to be of equivalent strength to Midlander Hyurs. Base strength statistics for all the various clans do actually reflect their cultures and the like. Highlanders have a higher base strength pool than Midlanders for obvious reasons. Seekers have a higher strength pool than keepers. Seawolves have a higher strength pool than Hellsguard (who are more magically inclined). Could go on and on, but, bottom line, Seekers and Midlanders are equivlanet.

Well, I was referring to lore, not stats, but that being said, Kale would also snerk at Midlander DRKs for the same reason. Given the racial remarks NPCs make, like in the Miners' Guild having a Roe tell his Midlander drinking buddy that he "holds his drink as a good as a Lala". Highlanders belief in their physical superiority over smaller races doesn't seem out of place.

It's more that Miqo'te PCs seem to be anything they fancy without consideration to the racial lore. So, super strong and buff even though this defies how Miqo'te are characterized as being more endurance-based sprinters?. Ishgardian Dragoon? Garlean noble? Stuff like that, 'Magical Miqo'te. I certainly wouldn't play a Highlander as super nimble and dextrous in comparison, or a better sprinter than a Miqo'te.

Bring on the edgelords, at any rate.

Remember, you're only allowed to be edgy if you can conceal edginess. Dark clothing, tortured backstories, and brooding are all faux pas; "grittiness," interpreting the lore to be as caustic to other groups as possible, and "low fantasy" are perfectly acceptable.

Be sure to edge responsibly.

Despite my earlier post I think I looked at it more from the perspective of this:

- I'll have even more plate armors to mess around with, edgelord or not there's bound to be some models I'll find appealing and hopefully they can be colored.

-It's a new tank class! I quite enjoy tanking as it is. This can't be a bad thing.

-New classes are cool! More options, more RPers and certainly more players in general are a good thing to me, generally.

I make jokes about being an grimmcdeath hipster, but really- I don't see how it's any different than any other rper out there. It's just another person and it's hardly unoriginal when everyone's intent on pointing out the faults, or what they don't like in others.

My thing is, I don't like jerks. I've been incredibly fortunate that no one in-game (or here) has been a jerk about RP. Anyone that I haven't gotten along with, I can just keep the peace, nod and be on my way.

It's also been stated repeatedly that you don't have to be exactly as the Job/Class you play in game. I am in agreement with this thinking. Although, I can't help but wonder if:

Is Nero is going to return as our first Dark Knight, it seems like everything is in place for it. Or maybe it's obvious and everyone already thinks this? Maybe I've overlooked the facts and it's something else in game.

With any luck, there will be a place for something mauraders with greatswords instead of axes to something to that effect. If not, someone's going to have to just play pretend that much harder than usual.

Well, I was referring to lore, not stats, but that being said, Kale would also snerk at Midlander DRKs for the same reason. Given the racial remarks NPCs make, like in the Miners' Guild having a Roe tell his Midlander drinking buddy that he "holds his drink as a good as a Lala". Highlanders belief in their physical superiority over smaller races doesn't seem out of place.

It's more that Miqo'te PCs seem to be anything they fancy without consideration to the racial lore. So, super strong and buff even though this defies how Miqo'te are characterized as being more endurance-based sprinters?. Ishgardian Dragoon? Garlean noble? Stuff like that, 'Magical Miqo'te. I certainly wouldn't play a Highlander as super nimble and dextrous in comparison, or a better sprinter than a Miqo'te.

Bring on the edgelords, at any rate.

I would like to see if I can change your perception on Miqo'te PC's one day.

That being said, Highlanders do have a solid reason to believe that they are physically more 'buff' so to speak than most races except for Roe's, yes. They have a physical advantage in that aspect. Though I fail to see the physical disadvantage in the arms of a Miqo'te.

Sure, Highlanders are more naturally gifted to build arm strength, but if Miqo'te arm strength is average, it doesn't mean they're weak.

Likewise, if I'm built for endurance and leg strength, then I would utilize my greatsword as such. I would put my legs behind every swing, and go for momentum and attrition instead of relying exclusively on power. You don't have to be buff to handle one of those things, that's just how it's generalized.