Heavensward race change poll 2.0

Will you RP an Au Ra?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Will you RP an Au Ra?

• Yes, I will be changing my main character into an Au Ra - whether by retcon, magical in character transformation, or death/MIA of my existing main.
    • Yes, I will be creating an Au Ra alt.
    • No, I will not be role playing an Au Ra.

Personally, my issue with being an overplayed race is that I feel like I would struggle to play a unique and compelling character for others to be entertained by. I gloss over any Miqo'te characters most of the time because there's just so many, it's just mathematical you'll have more bad characters among them as a result.

So as Au Ra #51412, how are you going to distinguish yourself from all the others?

That's strictly my problem, of course, and I'm sure people have plenty of techniques. But to me being part of the crowd was never my preference.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, my issue with being an overplayed race is that I feel like I would struggle to play a unique and compelling character for others to be entertained by. I gloss over any Miqo'te characters most of the time because there's just so many, it's just mathematical you'll have more bad characters among them as a result.

So as Au Ra #51412, how are you going to distinguish yourself from all the others?

That's strictly my problem, of course, and I'm sure people have plenty of techniques. But to me being part of the crowd was never my preference.

Well, like in real life, not everyone is a unique special snowflake. Doesn't mean they are lesser as people.

As Hyur #100000, how do you distinguish yourself from the others?

This is a stupid prejudice that's only applied to Miqo'te (and now Au Ra) Rpers by smug hipster RPers. The fact of the matter is that just as many RPers (or more) are Hyur and don't come to this website, but no one laments that Hyur are so plentiful or comments that they don't really consider them in RP because there's "just so many".

It's just a smug hipster way of trying to present yourself as a better RPer for not playing one.

So as Au Ra #51412 I'll distinguish myself by being a good writer and someone who is fun and compelling to RP with, I'd do the same thing if I was Au Ra # 100000.

This is a stupid prejudice that's only applied to Miqo'te (and now Au Ra) Rpers by smug hipster RPers. The fact of the matter is that just as many RPers (or more) are Hyur and don't come to this website, but no one laments that Hyur are so plentiful or comments that they don't really consider them in RP because there's "just so many".

It's just a smug hipster way of trying to present yourself as a better RPer for not playing one.

So as Au Ra #51412 I'll distinguish myself by being a good writer and someone who is fun and compelling to RP with, I'd do the same thing if I was Au Ra # 100000.

I agree with this, but without the unnecessary name-calling. ^^

It's applicable to everyone.

Distinguishing yourself from the crowd is not something that is distinct for just one race in this game, it's for all of them. It always has been and it always will be.

I don't think it's unnecessary to call a smug hipster idea smug, or hipster, but I'm more addressing his poor way of considering other RPers than him directly.

Also, I'm calling the prejudice stupid, not him. There is a difference.

The immediate influx of Au'ra players could also be ICly accounted to the sudden amount of Doman refugees. Could be! Not meaning it has to.

I think it's a good point - how will you stand out as a character? 

I think it varies per role-player, because ofcourse we're all looking for different things, but I think this question should be important to all the peoples.

I think you can have underplayed characters, or stories (you can see it with tv shows and books) that are absolute gold, and you wish they were more popular. I'm thinking Firefly. <.< By the turn of a coin, these can also be very, very poor, because sometimes different just isn't always appealing. We all love Lalafell, but this doesn't mean just by playing a little person you're character is somehow more solid or creditable than any other races.

Alternatively, you can have a unanimously popular medium that is popular for a reason - it's fun. It's good. It plays at your heart strings. A lot of people liked Breaking Bad. A lot of people like Game of Thrones (I'm not fishing for arguments with any of these examples by the by - I'm just pointing them out, even if you particularly don't find them as such). Again, many of us roll our eyes at "pop culture." Being hip has negative connotations. Perhaps it's associated with not thinking for yourself and following the grain.

Neither is wrong, and ideas and feelings are allowed, and should, differ. As a personal belief, I can appreciate a good, strong role-player and a good, strong character, regardless of minor cliches. How many people play an orphan?

It's applicable to everyone.

Distinguishing yourself from the crowd is not something that is distinct for just one race in this game, it's for all of them. It always has been and it always will be.

Yup. I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion that X race has a proportionally higher number of bad RPers just because they're more popular. RP skill is completely orthogonal to racial choice in any event, though it could be argued that people going for 'hipster cred' are actually the worse ones for attempting to compensate for a lack of individuality through simply taking advantage of being the statistical minority.

Someone playing an Elezen or a Roegadyn is not automatically more interesting than any Miqo'te or Hyur in my mind just for being a minority; though I will initially take note of their race because they ARE a minority, that is only a first-impression sort of thing and does not color the rest of my interactions with that character.

That being said - visually your character will have an easier time standing out as a minority race than a majority one. That goes without saying, really, especially in a game with character creation as limited as this. But, again, that has no impact on whether or not a character and their story is actually interesting and well-realized or not.

Funny thing is? Most of the best roleplayers I've met in this game happen to main a Miqo'te. It pains me to think they've been shunned by people such as yourself for what ultimately amounts to nothing more than an aesthetic choice.

Also, to answer your question: by providing a compelling, well-written, three-dimensional character backed by a concept no one else is willing to touch. Those are the qualities that drive someone to roleplay with another, not a token racial selection.

I don't think it's unnecessary to call a smug hipster idea smug, or hipster, but I'm more addressing his poor way of considering other RPers than him directly.

It really just sounds like you're calling him stupid.

More on-topic, if I could stand alting at all, I probably would go w/ an Au Ra just for kicks. Xaela being nomads probably means they're more open to a wider range of concepts so I think we'll see more people playing those than Raeeaeaean.

It really just sounds like you're calling him stupid.

More on-topic, if I could stand alting at all, I probably would go w/ an Au Ra just for kicks. Xaela being nomads probably means they're more open to a wider range of concepts so I think we'll see more people playing those than Raeeaeaean.

Feel free to recommend my post for my moderation. I stand by it, because a person can have a stupid idea or a poorly thought out way of looking at things without being stupid.

Christ, I did call it " strictly my problem" for a reason. I said it was "strictly my problem" I could not feel distinct as a race with a certain overcrowding stigma. I can make myself distinct as a Hyur, I said I feel I could not as a race I perceive to be designed by a developer purely for neko fancy. And that's "strictly my problem".

Aren't feelings really important on this forum, anyway?

Well, your feelings are formed on some kind of basis, so it's only fair that we question why you feel the way you do when we, ourselves, cannot find any rational basis for that particular feeling.

In which case, my preferred RP style is based around characters who are products of the world, ordinary people in extraordinary situations, for example. My character is a Highlander of Ul'dah, so according to the world's lore, he would have ancestral ties to Ala Mhigo, which he does. When my character encounters a Miqo'te in Thanalan, he expects them to be a Seeker tribal, because the game world presents very few Miqo'te characters as common citizens of Ul'dah. Likewise, if my character encounters a Sea Wolf, he'd expect them to be from Limsa Lominsa. If he encounters an Elezen from Ul'dah, he'd find that particularly curious, but perhaps mention that the Grand Flame Marshal is/was an Elezen. If my character encounters an Au Ra, he'd expect them to be from Othard. If he encounters an Ishgardian character, he wouldn't expect them to be Miqo'te, Roegadyn, or Lalafell (although most of the time they end up Miqo'te for whatever reason).

It just so happens that when my character encounters a Miqo'te, it can be Seeker or Keeper, and they can be literally anything from anywhere, regardless of lore portrayal. I perceive Miqo'te as more roguish, hunter style characters (so ROGs, PGLs, ARCs, etc.), but instead I get an axe-wielding character who tells me that character is as strong as my character naturally, despite me playing a race that is explicitly portrayed as a race with high musculature and a long military tradition.

And that's my problem. I still RP with anyone, however, because my ultimate rule is that I RP with anyone who doesn't break universal laws of RP, and any idiosyncrasies are dismissed IC by my character "WELL THESE 'VENTURERS ARE A STRANGE LOT YKNO". I find not everyone can grasp the desire to want to RP with everyone and simultaneously find enjoyment in critical discussion of roleplaying habits.

I perceive Miqo'te as more roguish, hunter style characters (so ROGs, PGLs, ARCs, etc.), but instead I get an axe-wielding character

Slight derail, but it's important to remember that the standard axe wielders in Eorzea are rogues (specifically, lightly clothed pirates and privateers).

Contributing more directly to the discussion: while Kale may have his personal hangups about races/origins, I can speak from firsthand experience that he doesn't let that affect his OOC actions or attitude in any meaningful negative ways.

I actually have pondered this very same thing myself and I'll be rolling an Au Ra. I had the same issue with my Hyur initially and when I made a Miqo'te too. But I consider myself the sort to over-worry/concern myself with that kinda thing I guess? I'm a decent writer/roleplayer (so I'm told) so I'm not sure if that quite makes me smug/hipser or just someone who worries about perceptions too much.

I think that every character can be different and unique, just like human beings. It doesn't matter if there are tons of individuals from the same race; that has never been a problem for a character to stand out.

(Also, let's not forget that, from the sounds of it, there are tons of people who aren't actually going to rp a true Au Ra or the Au Ra lore, which makes it even easier for the true Au Ras to stand out).

I had planned to be miqo from the beta. I actually regret not going miqo at launch because they were overpopular (even our FC was/is like 90% miqo unintentionally), and wish I had gone with what I wanted from the start. I had the same thing with blood elf in WoW. It was just going to be a throwaway character because oh, everybody's doing that, but it turned out to be the greatest, most memorable, most well-rounded character I ever had and I regret nothing about him.

If I was in love with Au Ra, I'd go for it whole hog. Who cares if they're overpopular as long as you love your character. As it is, I'm keeping this miqo. She had to fight my prejudices to get here, so she's going to stick around for at least a while longer.