Heavensward race change poll 2.0

Will you RP an Au Ra?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Will you RP an Au Ra?

• Yes, I will be changing my main character into an Au Ra - whether by retcon, magical in character transformation, or death/MIA of my existing main.
    • Yes, I will be creating an Au Ra alt.
    • No, I will not be role playing an Au Ra.

I've made a bet with a friend that quite a few of the role-players rushing to kill/retcon their current characters in favour of embracing the flashy new race will end up becoming very vocal throughout the expansion about their regret once everything stops being shiny and new.

It's the same story with every new race I've seen added to an MMO and I'll be commending those who will actually stick with their decision to play a Au Ra long term and those who - quite sensibly - have decided to wait and see what they're like in-game before investing in one full time.

Obviously everybody is entitled to do with their character what they wish but it's a little troubling that so many interesting characters are being killed off or suddenly made into 'actually Au Ra all along'. To me that screams indecision and that any long term role-play with those individuals is unwise as they're liable to change significant aspects of their character on a whim.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made a bet with a friend that quite a few of the role-players rushing to kill/retcon their current characters in favour of embracing the flashy new race will end up becoming very vocal throughout the expansion about their regret once everything stops being shiny and new.

It's the same story with every new race I've seen added to an MMO and I'll be commending those who will actually stick with their decision to play a Au Ra long term and those who - quite sensibly - have decided to wait and see what they're like in-game before investing in one full time.

Obviously everybody is entitled to do with their character what they wish but it's a little troubling that so many interesting characters are being killed off or suddenly made into 'actually Au Ra all along'. To me that screams indecision and that any long term role-play with those individuals is unwise as they're liable to change significant aspects of their character on a whim.

Eh, for me. The only reason why I'm killing off the characters that I have- is because I've never really rped them. I only leveled them to about 15, but I didn't want to go through the first 15 levels again if I have blank slate characters. As for my main? C'sien is staying miqo'te. I love her, I'd never race change her unless I really finish off her plot before a new race is even mentioned. 

So yeah I'm kind of in agreement that the 'suddenly' is disconcerting. But the game is also not that friendly to alts. So I know why people are changing it, they don't want to level another 50(soon to be +) levels.

Technically 'changing', but my character was defunct and retired months and months ago, before Au Ra were even announced. I don't see myself ever changing to something else since they have my favorite aesthetic and I'm very happy with the design I've created.

To those worried about Au Ra in the Quicksand: since it's a very popular RP hub, are you suggesting that Au Ra players shouldn't go there ever/for a while or should have a certain attitude? 'cos I know I'm going to be hunting out RP hubs to hang out in since... well, RP.

As interesting as Rakka'li may or may not have been, he had become completely un-fun to RP due to a number of issues that I'm reluctant to get into here. My decision to off him was not made lightly and hardly rushed.

In fact I had quit RPing in XIV altogether four months before I decided to main an Au Ra or kill him off. =/

I'm looking forward to what might be a dramatic reduction in Miqo'te.  Not that I mind so many people liking Miqo'te, I probably wouldn't play FFXIV at all without them, but it would help my immersion to see fewer of them.  We are supposed to be slightly uncommon.

I did the benchmark and messed around with the character gen and I was a little tempted but I really only have time for one character.  There were some nice options for the Au Ra and I'll be looking forward to seeing how everyone kits theirs out.  In the meantime, I'll keep on playing my tribal adventurer.

SO!

I don't post very often these days, but I figured I'd weigh in on this since it's been discussed a lot in Coral FC chat.

I will not be creating an Au Ra alt or using fantasia to turn an existing character to Au Ra.

Personally, I don't care for the look of them but I swear, I'm not trying to be contrarian! I am certainly all for expanding the racial selection and having more diversity on the servers!

<3 Ames

SO!

I don't post very often these days, but I figured I'd weigh in on this since it's been discussed a lot in Coral FC chat.

I will not be creating an Au Ra alt or using fantasia to turn an existing character to Au Ra.

Personally, I don't care for the look of them but I swear, I'm not trying to be contrarian! I am certainly all for expanding the racial selection and having more diversity on the servers!

<3 Ames

No worries, I'm just interested in metrics. I'm not offended that people are not interested in role playing Au Ra.

I thought about it for like 5 minutes, but I honestly like Armi far far too much to make an Au Ra main.

I might have played an Au Ra as my main if they weren't so delicate and small.  Glioca is and always has been a larger woman (6'5"), and while I've been forced to play her shorter in other games without a height slider, the idea of her suddenly being tiny because reasons and shiny new race is so off-putting.  The fact that she has/had draconic history in other settings might have been a motivating factor, and I made a version of her as a Raen, which was quite pretty, but I can't imagine her as anything but an Elezen.

I do have alts that are going to be Au Ra, one of whom I've played off for a while as being disguised, and the other is a character who passed away, who I'm only using the class levels for.

From what I'm reading... seems a lot more just want to give it a small try versus having it govern their RP futures [as making it their mains].

Given I've next to no history with RP here, and only just got my current main moved to Balmung a short while back, it won't hit me as hard. Thank goodness I suppose, haha. But I plan on making up a story as possible without killing someone off.

Runs around all shiny and doe eyed >.>

My main will be race-changing to Au Ra, and it will be magical in nature. To be fair though, I've planned this since we saw the presence of a new race in 2.2 and designed my entire backstory around it. I didn't know what race it would be and personally swung between Viera or Burmecian in my theories until 2.4, upon which I figured dragon people (like most did) only to be disproven recently with Yoshi-P confirming that they are not draconic in nature, but rather demonic.

When they were revealed, I was just happy that the physical appearance was something that I enjoyed. So I actually didn't decide to race-change for aesthetic reasons, but because when I read Yugiri's inital story, it fit with some of what I had already decided for my character's backstory and where I went with things from there just ... clicked.

I will change my main into an Au Ra and have him be a new character ICly. My main will ICly either end up dead or live the rest of his life together with someone dear to his heart... depends on how things turn out. :P

And then my Au Ra will most likely be my only character... until my altitis kicks in, that is. xD

The image of someone having a magical girl transformation into an Au Ra sent me into a fever of giggles. Thank you so much for the mental image.

I can't say that I would not entertain the concept of it. It would have to be done fairly well and I personally think it would have to be a build up to make it work. We've seen in game some pretty interesting spells and enchantments, so a novice at the craft could indeed get lucky and make the change without completely destroying immersion. Again though, these changes HAVE to be played down a fine line. As with any game I've RP'd in, it's one that is borderline metagaming. But, as far as the expansion goes- there will be at least one Au Ra on my character list. The race is interesting, though I fear that the flood of them within the first month will make me lose interest quick. But, I doubt it will top the number of Miqo'te I spy. And no that was not a jab at any Miqo'te or anyone who intends to roll Au Ra. It's your character, your story, your choice. Jussst don't go too over the top or I'm dropping the MG. :bomb: Lol.

Even though I didn't RP him much, I don't plan to actually kill my old character, but rather switch him to 'mostly inactive alt' status. 

Death is too finite for me, even if the character wasn't really RP'd. I suspect a lot of other people who picked that option on the poll are also in this same situation.

Even so, I see nothing wrong with changing a character to suit your needs and wants (magical girl transformation or not). It's all for fun and if a change will make RP more fun for you, then I say go for it.

Even though I didn't RP him much, I don't plan to actually kill my old character, but rather switch him to 'mostly inactive alt' status. 

Death is too finite for me, even if the character wasn't really RP'd. I suspect a lot of other people who picked that option on the poll are also in this same situation.

Even so, I see nothing wrong with changing a character to suit your needs and wants (magical girl transformation or not). It's all for fun and if a change will make RP more fun for you, then I say go for it.

I can get down with this statement.

I do really like au ra, however... I plan on waiting a month or so to see how popular they turn out to be. If femRa are the new femiqo then I'm not bothering. If They're around the same as highlander or elezen I'm so changing lol. Call me a hipster, but I really dislike being part of the super over played races.

Eh, I agree there are an excess of Miqo'te. Can't really disagree.

However! I do feel as if there were once more Miqo'te. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I feel as if with time, players have simmered down on experimenting with the options available to them and have become comfortable in whatever suits their virtual skin.

What I mean is... I think there will most definitely be a surplus in Au'ra come expansion, but I think those numbers will dwindle with time as everyone gets over it. Play whatever suits your fancy, honestly. Popular, not popular, cute, rugged, whatever. I'm personally excited.

Eh.... I've played miqo'te since 1.0. During launch of 2.0 I made C'sien, took a break and there were many more miqo'te. But I wasn't going to race change her. Just because there is a fotm race doesn't mean I'll change my race. I like my chars how they are. I likely won't make another miqo'te, I have enough. But I am changing two to au ra and I'll enjoy them, regardless of an influx or not. :)