Experienced RPer, new to FFXIV

Hey folks!

As the title says, I'm new to the FFXIV world... new to anything FF actually so, I'm the newbiest of noobs when it comes to the game or lore. I rolled a little Miqo'te female, on Balmung (you don't want to know how long it took to pull -that- off). She's an Archer though I also picked up Conjurer since I almost always play a Ranger or Healer. So, yeah, I know nothing but am looking forward to learning. So far my Archer has reached level 12.

Anyway, I love to RP but knowing nothing about the lore has me quite timid. ICly I always RP the Ranger archetype so I was wondering where the best places are to find RP, where I can... eavesdrop and get a feel for it here. Sticking with the Ranger type she's a loner and fairly quiet. Beyond that I've got nuthin!

I am an experienced RPer, having RP'd in WoW, GW2, SWTOR, RIFT, LotRO. Hopin to meet a few people, perhaps join a guild (Free Company?), and maybe if the stars align - find a partner to both play and RP with!

Look forward to meeting some of you fine folks soon!

Welcome to the RPC! and to FFXIV, the best place for RP there as this time. The best advice anyone could give you is to make connections as you level and don't be afraid to put yourself out there.

The Quicksand in Ul'dah (the adventurer's guild and new player's area) is the biggest RP hub but you can usually find some by taking a stroll through the housing districts. But also don't be afraid to plan your RP, too many people get caught up with RP in FFXIV needing to just miraculously happen but the truth of it is that if we aren't currently RPing, then we probably either need a reason to start , ie you, or we are doing something else incredibly fun that this game has to offer. So yeah whisper people and plan out your RPs.

And welcome!

Welcome welcome.

I would say you pick up enough lore from the quests and story to play your archer. The game is good like that. Just play a "normal" hero and you should be fine.

I'd recommend finding an RP linkshell, you can check the list on this forum. While there are locations to attract RPers it depends what you want.. hence LS definitely.

However, the main hub for random bar RP (and all that it entails) is the Quicksands in Ul'dah.

Also go to the events, they are really great places to meet people.

The Quicksand in Ul'dah (the adventurer's guild and new player's area) is the biggest RP hub..

Uh, yeah, I have no clue where this is yet, but thanks for thee welcome!

I'd recommend finding an RP linkshell, you can check the list on this forum. While there are locations to attract RPers it depends what you want.. hence LS definitely.

However, the main hub for random bar RP (and all that it entails) is the Quicksands in Ul'dah.

Also go to the events, they are really great places to meet people.

Ah, I see. Did not know what a linkshell was. I will definitely check that out.

I am very -not- fond of bar RP and would rather find something more... adventurous. Is there much RP out in the world?

I have to admit I haven't checked out events... really haven't played much at all. Looking forward to it though!

Welcome to the RPC and to Eorzea! May you fire arrows and heals in equal measure! :3

If you're looking for some tall Roelady, feel free to give me a poke, though just looking at your timezone thing (I think that's what that is?) we might not get to meet in-game. :c

In any event, hope you enjoy yourself in-game and in-forum. :D

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been checking out the resources as time allows. Leveling is my least favorite activity but have been trying to work on that a little as well.

See you all in game.... soon as I figure out how to actually get anywhere.

Welcome Wolfie!

I'm a recent member of RPC myself and let me tell you people here are SO friendly! Sadly I haven't been able to meet many in game so far, but hopefully that will change!

As far as getting anywhere, you have to play out your lvl 15 story mission to be able to travel to the three different lands! 

If you want to meet up with a troublesome Miqo'te, and you play GMT time, feel free to look me up!

Welcome to the RPC and Eorzea! If you have lore questions, you can post them here in the forums and they'll get answered! Most of the game's lore can be found piecemeal in quests, leves, and item descriptions - which can sometimes make the lore a bit difficult to navigate. But can try to help if you have questions about anything. ^^

I've been looking but not found a lot on the Miqo'te lore. Just some brief things but I need to get a handle on it so I can figure out where my gal comes from. For me, I need to nail those things down before I can really participate in RP.

Anyone with some good resources for the Miqo'te lore, I'd love some help! Right now she's a Seeker of the Sun, and I think, named appropriately. 

Something else I've noticed is 'linkshell,' 'free company,' and the more familiar word 'guild'. Are these things the same? I'm a bit lost tbh.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've been looking but not found a lot on the Miqo'te lore. Just some brief things but I need to get a handle on it so I can figure out where my gal comes from. For me, I need to nail those things down before I can really participate in RP.

Anyone with some good resources for the Miqo'te lore, I'd love some help! Right now she's a Seeker of the Sun, and I think, named appropriately. 

Something else I've noticed is 'linkshell,' 'free company,' and the more familiar word 'guild'. Are these things the same? I'm a bit lost tbh.

Thanks in advance for your help!

This post has a compilation of Seeker Lore that should help you out! ^^

Also Free Company is the FFXIV version of traditional MMO "guilds". Linkshells are more private chat channels. In the original 1.0 version of the game we didn't have anything equivalent to guilds, so groups used linkshells instead. Now that they added Free Companies, most people just use linkshells as secondary groups.

Hello there, welcome! :D If you're still in the market for an FC, Harbingers of Dawn is a good-aligned, med-heavy RP FC dedicated to protecting and aiding the citizens of Eorzea. You're welcome to check us out! You can learn more about us here and apply on our website if you're interested.

Wow... I just have to say, thanks for the warm welcome. Many of you have posted here and a few have contactacted me in game, which is amazing! 

Thanks to those who have grouped with me and run me through dungeons and showed me the ropes. Thanks to those who have let me bounce RP ideas for my chaacter off ya, given advice, and listened to my meandering thoughts.

I am still torn between keeping my Miqo'te and changing her to Elezen. Whoever she is she'll be the 'Ranger' type and that seems to fit a little better with the Elezen. That and I always do like to have a bit of romance mixed in my advernturer's life. From what I read of the Miqo'te, a monagamous relationship seems unlikely in their culture. While it's not the focus of my RP, I like to have the option. Though I know little of the lore, I like to abide by it so, it should be reasonable for the character for the setting. I don't know, am I over thinking it?

Also, are there any more resources out there on the specifics of the races? The wiki and enix stff seems very general. Not finding anything on life spans, age of adulthood, that sort of thing.

Anyway, thanks again!

Fortunately/unfortunately, depending on your view, there isn't a whole lot of the very solid/specific lore on any of the races. Most of what we're given is some broad brush strokes of lore then things can be taken from context in the game world itself.

As for a 'ranger' sort of character, given the makeup of Gridania (if you'd like to be from there) it would fit well with either a Miqo'te or an Elezen! Elezen are a little more rare to see ingame (by and large) but there are plenty of Miqo'te roleplayers who are in monogamous relationships so I wouldn't let that stop you either. Not all Miqo'te are tribal, which is what a lot of the lore focuses on. Many of them (meaning most roleplayers/adventuring sorts) can be found within cities having adapted to that life as well.

So yeah! Welcome but don't feel boxed in by what you've read. There are lots (and I mean a LOT) of spins to put on what we're given without falling into 'special snowflake' territory. Go with what's fun and calls to you. :)