• Dark Knight
    • Mechanist
    • Summoner
    • Scholar
    • Ninja
    • Paladin
    • Bard

So, curious to know.

What does your 'character' do lore wise. I want to see with how this aligns with what you play as in game too.

For example:

'John Doe is a Conjurer from Gridania, but I OOC play a White mage to represent this'

I am very curious to see how OOC jobs align with actual IC jobs for characters. please select the one that applies the most to your -main- character.

My character Gin has beginners lessons in lancer arts but has no real skill for it - she can hold a spear but that's about it, however she is quite an accomplished weaver and often can be found working alongside the guild for extra gil to send back to her family in Mor Dhona.

OOC I main Scholar and this has no relation to my character's profession.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graeham is both an aspiring knight and an aspiring diplomat. I use the PLD job to reflect this though that's purely to give him a sword, shield and armour. He's still learning how to fight effectively so at present he has quite a bit of progress to make before he can be considered 'seasoned'.

He also can't use magic effectively due to having Garlean blood flowing through his veins - thanks to his mother - so the flashy magic abilities aren't something I use IC on him.

I considered using DRK instead but since every single ability looks very blatant in its conjuration of dark energy it would prove very difficult and immersion breaking for me to hand-wave it as not existing during a fight whenever Graeham heads out to take down a bandit or monster.

In his spare time his major hobby is fishing - so I use that class to reflect it effectively whenever I have him head off to catch something for his friends to eat.

Manari has been an assassin type character since before ninja was added. Before I used Gladiator and the daggers they used to have to represent this. Now I obviously have an easier time using Ninja and all it's gear to assemble a good RP outfit for her assassin role.

I've voted "Disciple of the Hand" as it's closest, but she's actually a cleaner!

However, that's not what she wants to do all her life.  It's paying her room bill at the Hourglass until she can learn a craft, or do something more interesting.

Because I like to spiel, I'm gonna go over all three of my characters. :blush:

Chachan is a hero-wannabe and child of a legendary smith ICly. OOCly, he's a PLD and BSM/ARM, so I think that meshes up pretty well. He's the sort that wants to use the weapons and armor he makes to protect people, so it flowed pretty well (even if I don't ACTUALLY make the pieces for him to wear - I do when I can, of course, but the best gear isn't crafted oftentimes). Sword, shield, heavy armor, all set to save the day.

Gogon is Chachan's older brother and has the same parents, but decided that knowledge and tactics would be more desirable, profitable, and overall more powerful than just churning out weapons and armor. As such, I stuck to SCH as his main (even when his albeit crazy/lore-bendy plot had him doing far more than that) when presenting him to people. The addition of more tactical based skills (and lore) in HW have helped even more in cementing the comparison.

I have to say, though, that I suppose I'm cheating a bit. Both these guys, at their base, are "playing the class." I play Gogon as he IS a Scholar, and Chachan as he IS a Paladin and Blacksmith. As such, there's a direct link between IC and OOC representation.

Judge, on the other hand, is a deviation from this. He's supposed to be... well, a Judge - in a FFTA/FFXII sense. Big armored dude that lays down laws to be obeyed. The original inspiration was Cid in FFTA, and his art shows him with his Judgesword - a massive, artsy-fartsy greatsword. So, I wanted him to have a big sword to match that - which is why he's a DRK (had him as a WAR beforehand).

L'yhta is an adventuring mage and explorer or, as she puts it, "Limsa Lominsa's most splendiferous sorcerer!" :dodgy: She practices all three Disciplines of Magic and is reasonably competent at what's now called machinistry, particularly when it comes to enhancing equipment with channeled aether.

OOCly, I have almost every class on her at 50 or higher, because I like playing the game. :) However, most of those jobs are entirely OOC; the jobs I use to represent her skills are WHM, BLM, SMN, SCH, and sometimes PLD (when she whips out some special spells). I may end up dropping PLD for DRK, though, given the way the DRK quest line seems to be working out. It seems to fit better for a talented aether-channeler.

Asmodean would be a "Base Deciple of War" but claimed the title of Warrior due both his skill with the ax all well as the fact he dose carry a number of weapons he will use if better suited to the problem at hand. Just about any Hellguards would seem him at least as someone who might be worth of the title, but at the moment see a midlander carrying a big ax.

Following Chachan's example here! 8-) But I voted paladin as that's the one getting the most RP regularly for now. That changes week to week though, honestly.

Zarek is was initially a Pugilist, plain and simple. He followed a lot of the same story paths of the class because it was easiest for me when I made him (my first FF14 character), meaning he worked as muscle for the Platinum Mirage, etc etc. He's also done some time as a miner and a gladiator (even if he was mostly in fixed fights). Recently, he's taken steps thanks to Mistalv Arroway to actually become a Monk, including opening his first chakra so..not quite a full blown Monk but more than a Pugilist now.

Martiallais is an Ishgardian knight. He has some lancer training (which he abandoned before he would've been up for dragoon training), but fights with sword and shield mainly. He has some passable healing ability but mainly focuses on defensive/offensive magic (in that order) so Paladin fit him perfectly. I don't call him a paladin IC, merely a knight but it's pretty much the same thing.

Temurgal is a Xaela warrior who uses a giant axe. While I would view him as more the 'eye of the storm' sort than a berserker, the inner beast/warrior dynamic fit his concept perfectly. It's come up in RP more as a generic warrior (meaning a combatant rather than the class) but it's what he'll be in character as well. I originally thought to go ninja with him but with where I believe the character can go, a class like Warrior ties in with the concept much, much smoother.

Seldi's a novice archer right now, but eventually she'll start training some kind of magic. What kind of magic really depends on how the RPs go, but she's currently being pushed toward conjury.

As for her actual "job", she's claims herself a courier, but she's pretty much an adventurer when you get down to it.

Marten is a geologist and an adventurer. He was a gladiator, became a soldier, started training as a paladin, and never finished. So, I usually keep him in his paladin job, because it's more convenient that way.

On occasion, I'll switch to lancer or marauder, just to carry a different weapon, but IC he prefers the sword anyway.

Former THM whom, through RP, has lost the ability to cast and is learning how to use a firearm to make up for the lack of self-defence. 

I have almost everything combat wise at 50, with the exception of MNK, DRK, and WAR which are close to 40 right now. AST is 60, BRD is 53, MCH is 51. I actually main BRD, but am getting MCH up for variety's sake. I have gatherer's above 50 and I have GSM at 50, none which is used in RP.

Crofte is a Paladin and Sultansworn. I use PLD to show this obviously, but she tends to favor a two-handed grip and forgo her shield. Depending on the gear situation, I may use DRK to reflect this in the future. Since the Sworn fighting style is more than just waving a sword around she also knows a little conjury. She is decent enough to raise barriers but cannot focus enough to heal well.

Jade has some base knowledge about using a lance from living in Ishgard but he's more comfortable carrying around knives for his work.

Nekhii is more complex because I'm a sucker for sad stuff.

He's a monk only because he needed to survive in Eorzea. He actually is a huge pacifist and after the events at the end of 2.5 with the Sultana he kinda breaks down and quits fighting. It isn't until he gets allowed into Ishgard and picks up Astrologian that he returns to being active.

I think you included "warrior" in your pole twice.

On topic, I picked generic disciple of war, because Klynzahr is a semi-retired gladiator with no intention of becoming a paladin.  Disciple of magic could also be a little relevant, since she completed half of an arcanist apprenticeship as a teen.

OOC I play a white mage.... :dodgy:

Yeah, it has absolutely no relevance to Klynzahr's character. Initially I had the thought the she would be a retired gladiator, who turned to conjury but the conjorurs guild turned out to be a bunch of hippies that don't gel well with her character concept.

So now Klyn is a professional adventurer and couch surfer but I still play WHM.

I think you included "warrior" in your pole twice.

On topic, I picked generic disciple of war, because Klynzahr is a semi-retired gladiator with no intention of becoming a paladin.  Disciple of magic could also be a little relevant, since she completed half of an arcanist apprenticeship as a teen.

OOC I play a white mage.... :dodgy:

Yeah, it has absolutely no relevance to Klynzahr's character. Initially I had the thought the she would be a retired gladiator, who turned to conjury but the conjorurs guild turned out to be a bunch of hippies that don't gel well with her character concept.

So now Klyn is a professional adventurer and couch surfer but I still play WHM.

This is why I don't post at 2am ;-;

C'sien is an alchemist by trade, she also runs Heart of Coeurl. Conjury and Arcanum is a study rather than a trade by nature.

Dusk is... I don't think she really has a job. I guess she'd be an armorsmith to get by for money but her focus is a dark knight, and she'd personally consider that her profession.

IC Iso is a healer, I'm torn on what to use although I'm currently using White Mage for it -- but that is likely to change once I get Astro leveled. I'll probably use that, and perhaps use it IC as well, still debating that! 

Most of my girls IC'ly are healers so...its about the same answer for any and all girls I would play. But also OOC'ly I do love to level so I have a few classes leveled on one girl or another.

Warrior is on here twice.

I put DoW, I guess, because Tancred is using spears, axes, swords, knives, and bows whenever they're available. After losing the hammer he was known for in the Garlean War, he's been trying out new weapons and fighting styles based on the cultures he travels through and whatever weapon is available at the time.

It's a bit tougher than it seems for me because of where I stretched canon. In the game, the Monk class always uses the Fist of Rhalgr, so Virara is technically not a Monk according to those terms; her style developed from the same roots, but was never an established monastic order and uses entirely different techniques. That would make her a Pugilist, except she uses physical abilities more commonly associated with Monks, even if she doesn't consciously manipulate chakra. (Minus the laserbeams and whatnot.) Her style is intended for assassinations, so while she herself is pretty straightforward, with the skills taught to her that she makes poor use of, Virara might even fit into Ninja. Still that is a stretch, because she fights barehanded when she can, and while she's capable of stealth, she doesn't avail herself of it that often. I'll just say Monk and make it simple...

As for other jobs, she is not a professional or a member of any guild, so she can only qualify as an amateur culinarian, seeing as she's picked up some cooking knowledge over the years, she's been recently mentored by someone, and she observed cooking techniques during her ill-fated employment as a kitchen laborer at the Quicksand and later the Bismarck. She knows more or less how to catch her own fish and gather food, as well as hunt, but she has never visited any guild and thus cannot qualify as Fisher or Botanist officially. Eventually, Virara will need a stable job, and I intend to have a lot of fun finding mentors for that...