FFXIV Anniversary: The Rising Event - 2015

Elaris

[align=center]tumblr_ntdvxvTu6J1uogdyko1_540.jpg

[align=justify]Thursday, August 27, 2015 marks the second anniversary of FINAL FANTASY XIV! To celebrate this momentous occasion, we'll be holding a special in-game event: The Rising.

Players will have the chance to receive special minions and a number of commemorative items, so don't miss this chance to celebrate two years of adventure in Eorzea!

[/align]

[align=left]Link: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2015/The_Rising/

Quest Location: Ul'dah, Steps of Nald - Nonora

map_01.png?1440056627

[/align]

[/align]

Gotta admit, for an event that should mark an anniversary of an incredibly successful launch of a game that floundered in spectacular fashion....this strikes as duller than Ben Stein painting a wall taupe,

Eh. Moar minions.

Another lack luster event is right.

We're still getting a lot more in terms content than what certain other MMO's are offering. Two additional minions is pretty cool, especially since we're getting a minion based mini-game in the next big patch.

It also sounds like this event will give us a sneak peak of 3.1's Primal - so that's pretty neat as well.

We're still getting a lot more in terms content than what certain other MMO's are offering. Two additional minions is pretty cool, especially since we're getting a minion based mini-game in the next big patch.

It also sounds like this event will give us a sneak peak of 3.1's Primal - so that's pretty neat as well.

I suppose? I mean, I've been in more grandiose events in City of Heroes and the like. But I'm not knocking anyone's fun, of course. I'm just wishing that there would be more as a result of the occasion.

And I had heard a lot of scuttlebutt about the Bard who was setting the Ultima fight to tune is around for this event....so that pretty much leads me to think that the new Primal is going to be a HM of Thordan.

I suppose? I mean, I've been in more grandiose events in City of Heroes and the like. But I'm not knocking anyone's fun, of course. I'm just wishing that there would be more as a result of the occasion.

I think the idea is that even FFXIV had more grandiose events... last year, in fact.

Also, it's very, very dangerous for an MMO to rely on, "well, we're giving more than other MMO's give." That's technically true, but right now, there isn't pending or implied competition, no Game Exodus or Shiny New MMO to pull people away. Wildstar tanked, EQNext is probably a couple of years away, and...

Hm.

Well, there's Star Wars Battlefront and the new Fallout incoming. Those aren't fantasy, though, but I expect they WILL pull a lot of people away, and what happens is that people then ask why they should come back. Also, with FFXV coming out soon, SE will be competing with themselves! I expect another rift to open and give us Fancy-Boy outfits and cutoff jeans, yellow T-shirts and greasy baseball caps for the ladies... IF SE is smart. Heck, maybe that's what they'll do.

Sure, we can say that Heavensward siphoned off a lot of dev time and effort, but the game's events have been getting lower and lower in quality and new offerings since January (or since before that, if you're like me and didn't care about sheep...), and the clock's ticking before people start getting bored again. FFXIV has weathered this issue better than a lot of MMO's, yes, but that can't be good enough forever.

And yeah, it sounds picky and petty. The expansion is only 2 months old, and perhaps we do sound like we're saying, "What have you done for me lately?" But SE does need to take heed, at least.

Didn't they say the new expansion content would take as much time as taking a character from creation to 50 or something? Or was that implying how much content there would be by the time they start working on 4.0? Kinda hard to believe since people managed to get to 60 in a matter of days (some even during the Early Access!).

And really, if I can be perfectly honest, there hasn't been many of the events in general that have grabbed me. If I'm lucky there's some items that I can incorporate into my glamours - the Revenant Wing from Lighting Returns or the yukatas - or a fitting title for one of my dudes... but most of the time it's just "grab them in case I want them later, okay back to the usual." I usually have them all done on all three of my characters in a day, no matter the event. They are, and always have been for me, little more than a brief distraction.

So, as long as I can get something mildly interesting out of them, that's cool with me. On the other hand, I'm also glad they're not including more custom "you can't get these afterward unless we decide to put them on the Mogstation" emotes anymore. I still kinda want /huzzah on Chachan, and I bet it'd be a similar feeling for other people who missed out on such things. Besides, minions are much more in line of "buy these off the 'Station later" and actually carry across multiple characters... rather than shelling out the money for the /bombdance for just one character. :blush:

If we do put our current Moonfire Faire into the comparison, here it is:

1) Be level 30.

2) Grab quest in Limsa.

3) Finish single quest to get one outfit piece. Done in 20 minutes, tops.

4) Realize that Fate grind is arbitrary; buy or get Battered Fish.

5) Get tokens for Fish by wearing out your mouse/X button.

6) Buy all the things.

Faire done.

We did get more stuff last year, true. That was mostly due to crossovers between FFXIV and some other titles though. I don't generally go into seasonal events expecting something mind blowing though. It'd be great, don't get me wrong - but I generally just treat them as fluff with an achievement and some interesting items associated with them.

It's also possible that they don't want to spend a lot of time on content that is around for a couple of weeks and then never appears in the game ever again in the same form.

I can't find the source for it but I'm pretty sure that it was confirmed that we'll be getting a crossover event for FFXV. I'm actually really looking forward to that since I played the demo recently and it impressed me quite a bit. We may end up getting some FFXV themed outfits/weapons.

I'm very lost. We're getting a lot of content, what's there to complain about?

I personally had a lot of fun with this year's Moonfire event, just like I did the last year. And what's more important, people love the new swimsuits. This year's anniversary event sounds exactly like last year's; glamour items were given in Moonfire back then as well.

I'm unsure of what the problem is. I certainly see none.

Didn't they say the new expansion content would take as much time as taking a character from creation to 50 or something? Or was that implying how much content there would be by the time they start working on 4.0? Kinda hard to believe since people managed to get to 60 in a matter of days (some even during the Early Access!).

People can just as easily get from 0-50 in a matter of days if they skip all cutscenes, take in zero sights and show no interest in subquests just like those people who raced to 60. It certainly took me a decent portion of time to get to 60 on my main where I was taking in and enjoy absolutely everything. Naturally, it only took a few days with the alt where I watched no cutscenes.