Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character.

Now, this might be a bit lore-bending, because we know so little about the Allagans, and future content risks making characters like this completely lore-breaking, but... (Also please tell me if something's not clear because English is not my first language and explaining certain concepts is hard for me sometimes.)

What would you think of an Allagan (humanoid) robot character?

She would be found by random Explorers/researchers in some Allagans ruins. After entire eras, she's still intact, but she has no memories of who she is, she doesn't even know she's a robot.

The explorers take her away, believing she's an actual human. They ask her why was she found in ancient Allagan ruins, but due to her lack of memory, she is unable to answer, so they let her go, assuming she was just another explorer who was hit in the head and lost her memory.

So, she starts wandering for Eorzea, with absolutely no memories aside occasional flashbacks (basically like the Echo but she actually "lived those moments). She thinks she's a human (she believes so because the explorers talked to her as if she was one), but is unable to feel any emotion at all.

She has to struggle everyday not only with the fact that she doesn't remember anything and has no idea where to go or what to do, but also with the fact that everyone around her can be happy, sad, angry... while she can't, despite being (or at least she believes to be) exactly like them.

Now, tell me... would this be possible without breaking the lore? Would it be accepted? Or should I give up on the idea?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the idea is extremely interesting, you must understand that the community may not accept it as a whole, due to the fact some people might consider it slightly Mary-Sueish (and before anyone says I'm lying: Please don't try to bullshit them. Some people DO avoid roleplaying with characters like this. Denying it doesn't help OP.)

I have no qualms with most character ideas, it's lore-bending, but not breaking. It's completely possible Allagans built humanoid robots. I personally only have a problem with people who are demi-gods ("I AM THE INCARNATION OF BAHAMUT AND I IDENTIFY AS GARUDA-KIN!!1!") 

So while I personally wouldn't mind rping with you (So long as you don't make your character overly OP or overbearing to other people's RP) Some people are more into the gritty-hyper-realitic rp and might avoid you for this. Take it was a warning.

While the idea is extremely interesting, you must understand that the community may not accept it as a whole, due to the fact some people might consider it slightly Mary-Sueish (and before anyone says I'm lying: Please don't try to bullshit them. Some people DO avoid roleplaying with characters like this. Denying it doesn't help OP.)

I have no qualms with most character ideas, it's lore-bending, but not breaking. It's completely possible Allagans built humanoid robots. I personally only have a problem with people who are demi-gods ("I AM THE INCARNATION OF BAHAMUT AND I IDENTIFY AS GARUDA-KIN!!1!") 

So while I personally wouldn't mind rping with you (So long as you don't make your character overly OP or overbearing to other people's RP) Some people are more into the gritty-hyper-realitic rp and might avoid you for this. Take it was a warning.

Nah, I don't like being OP myself. Honestly I was going to avoid making her fight (because if she gets hit it would soon become obvious she's a robot, and I don't want everyone to know she is a robot). I already have Isaulde as a fighter character, with this character I'm probably gonna focus on, well, non-fighting RP.

I say it's perfectly valid. The Fractal Continuum shows us that they made machines far more humanoid than the derpheaded clockworks out of coil. As was stated before, a lot of people will turn their nose up at this character, but being in possession of a character who has built an android that can pass as a real miqo'te in the Allagan style, I fully support this concept.

Omni and the droids in Fractal Continuum are fairly humanoid for Allagan robots, and Allagans were known to dabble extensively in cloning technology.

As seen in Azys Lla, they also spliced together different animals and creatures as well. They also created completely artificial beings such as the Ixalion!

I would say that the techniques required to build an "android," so to speak, with realistic skin and hair and so on, were probably well within the reach of Allagan technology. So I don't think this is "out there". It's probably completely lore-compliant from a "could Allagans have made such a thing" point of view. That said, some people will like as not consider such a character a "Mary Sue" as previously mentioned.

Just food for thought.

Like was said above, some people will be fine with it, others will have an issue and prefer not to RP with you over it. I guess it depends on whether that bothers you enough not to play that idea. And you don't have to tell the details of the backstory to every casual RP acquaintance you meet so it won't really affect anyone other than the people you RP with on a regular basis (those most likely to be confronted with it if/when she discovers what she is). As long as they are fine with it and you're having fun with the character I don't see why you shouldn't do it.

Personally, I'd say go for it if you find the idea fun. You'll find people who'd be ok with it, myself included. I'm fairly flexible when it comes to lore as long as its not crazy (demi-gods, insane god-moddy abilities etc) and I think there are plenty of others out there too.

That said I don't know a great deal about Allagan lore. I don't think there's anything in there that specifically says such a thing is absolutely impossible...

As others have said...

A) In terms of it breaking lore? I don't think it breaks lore. There is nothing in the lore that states that the Allagan were not capable of cloning peoples or having droids...

B) In my opinion, the lore supports the possibility that this can happen. In some way or form.

C) In terms of acceptance I believe it really is something that depends on both how you RP it and who you RP it with. Will the character tell everyone? How will it come up and why? If she's not fighting, how will it come up?

The big questions usually entail: how will this be roleplayed so it's not just one big trope? Will it be the sole defining trait/characteristic? How do you incorporate it without making scenes that aren't solely about the character being something of an android?

Well I already RPed with someone who was essentially this. It was very interesting especially as it was only revealed through RP. 

I think many strange things can be rationalised so have fun with it, but I would advise using it as a flavor and not let it define the character. Give them a life.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Allagans create artificial robot-like beings called "mannequins"? I think I heard about it on the official forums with two important characters from the crystal tower storyline being these types of beings. If that's the case, I don't see why the OP's character couldn't work from a lore standpoint. There would still be the issue of some people thinking the idea is Mary Sue-ish, but you can't please everyone.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Allagans create artificial robot-like beings called "mannequins"? I think I heard about it on the official forums with two important characters from the crystal tower storyline being these types of beings. If that's the case, I don't see why the OP's character couldn't work from a lore standpoint. There would still be the issue of some people thinking the idea is Mary Sue-ish, but you can't please everyone.

I don't really remember the Crystal Tower questline, but if you're referring to Doga and Unei, if I'm not mistaken they were clones, not robots.

Also, while I don't remember anything about "mannequins", that reminds of the manikin enemies from Fractal Continuum. I think they're robots, but I'm not too sure (sadly due to the parties I get I never have time to read the guide plates in the dungeon to get some lore).

The mannequins are the ones from Fractal, which are apparently a reference to Dissidia. That said, they were in the Soldiery/warfare gallery of the museum and the display panels nearby stated that they were constructed by the Allagans to do their fighting for them. They have no faces but are clearly humanoid and are combat-capable (nevermind that they suck at it), so there's nothing at all that would stand in the way of one inferring that some Allagan technician somewhere didn't create a one-off that was, as the trope reads, a ridiculously-human robot.

And yes, Unei and Doga were clones, not machines.

I don't really remember the Crystal Tower questline, but if you're referring to Doga and Unei, if I'm not mistaken they were clones, not robots.

Also, while I don't remember anything about "mannequins", that reminds of the manikin enemies from Fractal Continuum. I think they're robots, but I'm not too sure (sadly due to the parties I get I never have time to read the guide plates in the dungeon to get some lore).

Those might be what they were talking about. I also saw some people theorizing that the WoL is an Allagan manikin/mannequin whatever thingy. I may have just assumed that it was some kind of magical construct.

The mannequin soldiers in Fractal don't have faces/hair because why give combat droids anything like personality or individualism? The Soldiery wing of the museum is all combat droids with no real faces (or biology); biological constructs like Ixalon (maintenance) and Nagas (experimentation) are in the second wing. The clones in the Coil storyline also serve a very different purpose from combat.

I'm not exactly saying "don't do it," but I am saying consider the why Allagans would create something like what you want your character to be.

The mannequin soldiers in Fractal don't have faces/hair because why give combat droids anything like personality or individualism? The Soldiery wing of the museum is all combat droids with no real faces (or biology); biological constructs like Ixalon (maintenance) and Nagas (experimentation) are in the second wing. The clones in the Coil storyline also serve a very different purpose from combat.

I'm not exactly saying "don't do it," but I am saying consider the why Allagans would create something like what you want your character to be.

I know that.

I was thinking about an Allagan manikin creator who grew fond of one of his creations and gave it a face and a mind, making it sentient, and keeping it for himself.

I know that.

I was thinking about an Allagan manikin creator who grew fond of one of his creations and gave it a face and a mind, making it sentient, and keeping it for himself.

Sounds legit to me. Maybe he lost his children or couldn't have any of his own so he made one using his knowledge of manikin making. I can see plenty of ways you could spin this. I say go for it.

Well, I have created her on another server, now I'm just waiting for the server transfer (I might create a few other alts before, so I can transfer them all, though).

Since her memory was completely wiped, including her name (actually it's just an excuse for me  because I couldn't find a name I liked), I called her in-game "Enigmatic Girl".

Would people still approach me for RP, or would they think I don't RP because she doesn't have a proper name?

Well, I have created her on another server, now I'm just waiting for the server transfer (I might create a few other alts before, so I can transfer them all, though).

Since her memory was completely wiped, including her name (actually it's just an excuse for me  because I couldn't find a name I liked), I called her in-game "Enigmatic Girl".

Would people still approach me for RP, or would they think I don't RP because she doesn't have a proper name?

Believe it or not people might just think you are not approachable for RP as your name kind of implies you are part of a storyline rather than an individual and free character simply because your name isnt within naming conventions, or they might indeed just ignore you for it. Most I could suggest would be putting a description in your search text directly addressing it.

Believe it or not people might just think you are not approachable for RP as your name kind of implies you are part of a storyline rather than an individual and free character simply because your name isnt within naming conventions, or they might indeed just ignore you for it. Most I could suggest would be putting a description in your search text directly addressing it.

I see. I'll keep that in mind.

I know that.

Alternatively, you could take the 'subterfuge' angle. Android spies created specifically to guise as humans, have programmable personalities, and through a neuro-link connection, they'd be a semi-unwitting, or completely unwitting host for another person in the Allagan empire to spy on their rivals to the throne or advancement up the social/corporate/military ladder or some such. I could see a ruthless conquering nation like ancient Allag having a tad bit of infighting. Garlemald certainly had it's civil war for a time while it's leaders were clamoring for the throne. And they are, if anything a modern analog to the ancient Allagan empire.

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest this doesn't sound like a great idea. Actually it sounds pretty awful. Sure you could -technically- get away with it, but honestly if you want to go that route, I think one of the Allagan clones/replicants are probably better. You could still have them deal with the memory loss, still with the allagan origins, but it'd basically be a machine made of flesh instead of made of metal. It'd be much easier to blend in, and it wouldn't make the character so alien to deal with on the average basis.

If you do do it, the trick would be to NOT do it. Don't talk about it, don't tell anyone, don't be obvious. Be extremely subtle, and perhaps reveal it through a planned character event instead of just talking about it casually. This applies for IC and OOC.

To be honest this doesn't sound like a great idea. Actually it sounds pretty awful. Sure you could -technically- get away with it, but honestly if you want to go that route, I think one of the Allagan clones/replicants are probably better. You could still have them deal with the memory loss, still with the allagan origins, but it'd basically be a machine made of flesh instead of made of metal. It'd be much easier to blend in, and it wouldn't make the character so alien to deal with on the average basis.

If you do do it, the trick would be to NOT do it. Don't talk about it, don't tell anyone, don't be obvious. Be extremely subtle, and perhaps reveal it through a planned character event instead of just talking about it casually. This applies for IC and OOC.

I don't understand -why- you say it's a bad idea. Is it the part in bold? Well, she does blend in, because Allagans do have the technology to make a perfect human-looking robot, and she is supposed to feel somewhat "alien" when she does something.

And, well, I obviously don't go around saying "IM ACTUALLY A ROBOT HURR DURR". She doesn't ICly know it either. She's slowly remembering something from her past, but even if/when she remembers, I'll keep it an hidden thing, unless people ask about it.