Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Said it before, saying it again:

Concepts that have a "quirky special gimmik!" that has no bearing on the RP other than to make something stand out are bad concepts.  If it's not adding to the char, it's pointless fluff and muddies the story in ways that make it hard to interact with the char, and to treat them as a whole person during the course of RP (

If several key points of your existence have no actual point you'rr less a robot and more a mannequin, which makes the concept the RP equivalent of a brick wall.

UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO INVEST IN THE CONCEPT YOU SHOULD PROBABLY NOT BOTHER.

That said:

This sort of concept can work!  Transhumanism is a nasty concept that can break the sense of self and the mental complications that come after that makes for a REAL interesting story. Everything from Star trek's Data to Ghost in the Shell are good examples of dealing with a man-machine border, asked for or not, and what that does to the idea of what makes you 'human'.

Read up on the idea.

Just don't make "lol I'm a robot desu"

To be honest this doesn't sound like a great idea. Actually it sounds pretty awful. Sure you could -technically- get away with it, but honestly if you want to go that route, I think one of the Allagan clones/replicants are probably better. You could still have them deal with the memory loss, still with the allagan origins, but it'd basically be a machine made of flesh instead of made of metal. It'd be much easier to blend in, and it wouldn't make the character so alien to deal with on the average basis.

If you do do it, the trick would be to NOT do it. Don't talk about it, don't tell anyone, don't be obvious. Be extremely subtle, and perhaps reveal it through a planned character event instead of just talking about it casually. This applies for IC and OOC.

I don't understand -why- you say it's a bad idea. Is it the part in bold? Well, she does blend in, because Allagans do have the technology to make a perfect human-looking robot, and she is supposed to feel somewhat "alien" when she does something.

And, well, I obviously don't go around saying "IM ACTUALLY A ROBOT HURR DURR". She doesn't ICly know it either. She's slowly remembering something from her past, but even if/when she remembers, I'll keep it an hidden thing, unless people ask about it.

lol uhh okay, being just a teensy weensy bit defensive there, yeah?

And I don't know you, so I don't know what you OBVIOUSLY do or don't do

Way to deal with criticism, whatever. If you are just going to nod your head in agreement when someone agrees with you then plug your ears and scream when someone doesn't, then I'm not sure why you even asked others their opinions in the first place. Play your character however you want and let us know how it goes.

To be honest this doesn't sound like a great idea. Actually it sounds pretty awful. Sure you could -technically- get away with it, but honestly if you want to go that route, I think one of the Allagan clones/replicants are probably better. You could still have them deal with the memory loss, still with the allagan origins, but it'd basically be a machine made of flesh instead of made of metal. It'd be much easier to blend in, and it wouldn't make the character so alien to deal with on the average basis.

If you do do it, the trick would be to NOT do it. Don't talk about it, don't tell anyone, don't be obvious. Be extremely subtle, and perhaps reveal it through a planned character event instead of just talking about it casually. This applies for IC and OOC.

I don't understand -why- you say it's a bad idea. Is it the part in bold? Well, she does blend in, because Allagans do have the technology to make a perfect human-looking robot, and she is supposed to feel somewhat "alien" when she does something.

And, well, I obviously don't go around saying "IM ACTUALLY A ROBOT HURR DURR". She doesn't ICly know it either. She's slowly remembering something from her past, but even if/when she remembers, I'll keep it an hidden thing, unless people ask about it.

lol uhh okay, being just a teensy weensy bit defensive there, yeah?

And I don't know you, so I don't know what you OBVIOUSLY do or don't do

Way to deal with criticism, whatever. If you are just going to nod your head in agreement when someone agrees with you then plug your ears and scream when someone doesn't, then I'm not sure why you even asked others their opinions in the first place. Play your character however you want and let us know how it goes.

Was I being defensive there? If that's the impression I gave, then you misunderstood me.

I just explained my reason to do things as I did. And, well, I said "obviously" because I had already mentioned that even my character herself wouldn't know she's a robot, so I thought it would be obvious that I don't say around that she's a robot.

Also, I'm not listening to positive feedback and ignoring negative feedback, it's just that you were a bit late to the party, as I had already created my character. I can't really completely change her around now.

This kinda irks me. Especially with major lorebendy things. If my character gets to know someone then all of a sudden the scooby doo mask comes off and they are something totally weird...

I mean, how do you expect normal characters to react? Seriously. It's like being like "Hi, I'm an alien" except no one really gets the proper exposition to deal with that and then you expect them to show up at tavern night next Tuesday like you being an alien isn't a big deal.

Idk I think it's lame but to each thier own.

Was I being defensive there? If that's the impression I gave, then you misunderstood me.I just explained my reason to do things as I did. And, well, I said "obviously" because I had already mentioned that even my character herself wouldn't know she's a robot, so I thought it would be obvious that I don't say around that she's a robot.Also, I'm not listening to positive feedback and ignoring negative feedback, it's just that you were a bit late to the party, as I had already created my character. I can't really completely change her around now.

lol whatever dude, you just want to be a robot and be a passive aggressive dickhead

Just your first response was oozing with passive aggression and agitation, your response was even more agitated, and this one just reeks of passive aggression, holy crap you want to play a robot in a fantasy game, some people are going to think its stupid, no need to go on the rag about it

Not reading anymore of your responses, as far as I'm concerned, you're just a rude trash roleplayer who I'm just going to ignore, get over yourself and your shitty attitude

Mod: user was warned for this post.

Was I being defensive there? If that's the impression I gave, then you misunderstood me.I just explained my reason to do things as I did. And, well, I said "obviously" because I had already mentioned that even my character herself wouldn't know she's a robot, so I thought it would be obvious that I don't say around that she's a robot.Also, I'm not listening to positive feedback and ignoring negative feedback, it's just that you were a bit late to the party, as I had already created my character. I can't really completely change her around now.

lol whatever dude, you just want to be a robot and be a passive aggressive dickhead

Just your first response was oozing with passive aggression and agitation, your response was even more agitated, and this one just reeks of passive aggression, holy crap you want to play a robot in a fantasy game, some people are going to think its stupid, no need to go on the rag about it

Not reading anymore of your responses, as far as I'm concerned, you're just a rude trash roleplayer who I'm just going to ignore, get over yourself and your shitty attitude

...whatever floats your boat.

[[steps in with the mod hat]]

Basically what was said here.

Knock it off and be pleasant, please. If you don't like the concept - that's perfectly fine. Though feedback that is constructive and civil is going to be much better received than needlessly hostile quips.

Disagreeing is fine. If you find yourself not having anything nice or constructive, or if it only comes out as a rude comment, please refrain from posting it.

This kinda irks me. Especially with major lorebendy things. If my character gets to know someone then all of a sudden the scooby doo mask comes off and they are something totally weird...

I mean, how do you expect normal characters to react? Seriously. It's like being like "Hi, I'm an alien" except no one really gets the proper exposition to deal with that and then you expect them to show up at tavern night next Tuesday like you being an alien isn't a big deal.

Underrated post.

I super agree with this. Playing hidden aspects of your characters and telling no one IC or OOC can be really great and add a healthy dose of surprise to roleplay, like the rich merchant eventually revealing he was a dashing con artist all along. But when it comes to... far-out concepts like androids or whatever, it can be a bit of a gamble. Not everyone is going to like it, or even accept it. Especially people who like to follow and respect the game's lore to a T - and there really is no hard evidence that the Allagans could make KOS-MOS tier androids, so...

I don't know. Something to be aware of. I know if I suddenly revealed to everyone I am involved with RP-wise that Edda is actually an intricate, heartless mannequin crafted by her father, I would seriously piss off more than a few people.

There was an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation in which Data meets a woman who claims to be his "mother", the ex-wife of his original creator. At some point during the episode, she falls in a chasm and her arm breaks away, revealing to the crew that she is an android like Data - but she was programmed to "go unconscious" if damaged in a way that would indicate her true nature, with a hologram message that would display asking whoever found her to not reveal her true nature to her if she was repaired. Presumably, the implication is that she wouldn't "go unconscious" if she were verbally told of her true nature and shown evidence of it, it only happened in accidental circumstances. The crew repaired her and chose to abide by the wishes of Data's creator, who had also created the android version of his ex wife, and not tell her.

It was an interesting episode, but suffered from a glaring flaw in that most people realistically injure themselves in minor ways on a regular basis - a small cut in the kitchen, a sprained ankle, a stubbed toe, a cat scratch, falling and scraping a knee, and so on. Any of these minor injuries would've been enough to reveal that she was an android, because as we could see during the scene where her arm had been broken away, she didn't have blood. So the episode presumed that for years and years and years, she never was injured at all, not even a little bit.

The reason why this is relevant is that regardless of whether or not this is a good idea, when you take a setting even further away from "safety" as Star Trek's is (let's face it, day to day life in a medieval fantasy world filled with monsters is way, way more likely to have minor injuries happen compared to life aboard the starship Enterprise)... the likelihood that it could remain secret that she's not organic drops substantially. That's only addressing the issue of her nature becoming revealed when she's injured (which would probably happen within a week or two of her activation). What happens when a friendly magic-user tries to Cure or Physick her? Does it work? Should it work? Do those magicks work on inorganic targets? I don't even know. Is it even plausible that someone who can use magic wouldn't be able to tell via the aether that she is or isn't organic? 

In other words, it seems like there's almost no chance of this remaining secret for very long at all, and once it becomes revealed, you're left with only two outcomes:

1: You play up the fact that she's inorganic, making it a very relevant part of the character's day to day existence, which has the side effect of forcing anybody who interacts with her to either accept/approve of your concept or avoid the character (which can itself be problematic, since within a group, if one player accepts/approves and another declines, what does the group do?). I could foresee that creating some OOC conflict between players, and possibly causing you frustration.

2. You don't play up her inorganic condition, and in fact go out of your way to keep it as concealed as possible except in situations where it can't be concealed (such as when she gets injured, etc). This option has problems too, though. The first is that if we assume that it successfully stays hidden, then it doesn't actually add anything to the character, because she'd be getting roleplayed as basically Hyur (or whatever her physical representation form happens to be). The second is that if it does become discovered from time to time, as a result of injuries, those discoveries are bound to happen at times when the attention of the scene shouldn't be upon the Big Reveal of your character. For example, if you're taking part in a plot where she goes along with some friends and they get ambushed by bandits... in a sense, you'd be interrupting the plot if her inorganic nature became known. However, if one of those bandits stabs her, you kinda can't avoid it being revealed. At that moment, not only does everyone's attention shift from the plot to your character (which may even derail the scene from continuing and concluding in a timely manner that the person running it may have had in mind), but, you also run into the original problem all over again - everyone involved in the scene has to decide to accept/approve or decline of what's going on (and you may have some of them choose to withdraw from the scene rather than having their character's canon suddenly include an encounter with an inorganic person).

I'm afraid I just don't see any option with the idea where it won't probably cause some sort of frustrations for you and conflicts for others. 

That said, if you're determined to go forth with the idea anyway, I wish you luck with it - but it's not something I'd personally touch with a ten fulm pole.

Oh yeah, I sure wasn't being constructive or offering any feedback, alternatives, or anything, and I sure swung first

Whatever, you are just being a passive aggressive bully, repeatedly insulting someone, then running to the mods like a baby when you realize that -gasp- there are consequences for repeatedly insulting someone and playing the victim card when CLEARLY you swung first

MQzFSXY.png

Actually, I reported your post because you started to make personal attacks out of nowhere. 

Seriously, you need to take a step back and calm down. Your behavior is acceptable in the No Mods Section, but it's really not acceptable here.

Actually, I reported your post because you started to make personal attacks out of nowhere. 

Seriously, you need to take a step back and calm down. Your behavior is acceptable in the No Mods Section, but it's really not acceptable here.

I was being personally attacked several times beforehand? Just because they didn't use any direct nasty words doesn't mean it wasn't happening. Great job on not knowing what you are talking about. I am the victim here. I was asked for my feedback, I gave it, I was insulted repeatedly, I stood up for myself, and now I'm being given a warning because I did the right thing and stood up for myself. I was being insulted. I was being bullied. Me. Not him. Me. He shot first. I gave honest feedback and he insulted me over and over and over.

If there wasn't a cause there'd be no symptoms. And I'd like to point out that I called his -idea- stupid, he responded by calling -me- stupid. You are contributing to him bullying me. You, him, and the moderator are attacking me for standing up for myself when I'm being attacked for literally no reason whatsoever. What is wrong with all of you?

EDIT: Whatever, I'm dropping it here. Leave me alone and stop trying to get the last word. I posted the evidence. Nothing you say can magically change what is clearly there.

To get back on topic:

I wouldn't do it.

As stated beforehand, the ability of Allagans to make robots that would require Rick Deckard to pull out his Blush Response tester is questionable. They can make things that look like humanoid mannequins, but they're still markedly inhuman.

The real prowess of the Allagans sits in genetic and biological manipulation, so a Clone would go over more nicely, while still allowing for trans-human and existential themes.

Don't get me wrong, I love robots. I think robots are great. I shove robots into every piece of fiction I make because F-Yeah, Robots. But I don't think that there's enough in the setting to justify it other than using Allagans as an Ancient Civilization version of Applied Phlebotinum through the logic of "they can do all this other stuff, why not This," not to mention that I don't think there's enough In-Universe hooks to really be able to play a character like that out to their fullest. Other than running around and poking Allagan ruins to make Slightly Cooler Stuff Than Usual happen, there's very little that Being A Robot opens up for a character like that.

Underrated post.

I super agree with this. Playing hidden aspects of your characters and telling no one IC or OOC can be really great and add a healthy dose of surprise to roleplay, like the rich merchant eventually revealing he was a dashing con artist all along. But when it comes to... far-out concepts like androids or whatever, it can be a bit of a gamble. Not everyone is going to like it, or even accept it. Especially people who like to follow and respect the game's lore to a T - and there really is no hard evidence that the Allagans could make KOS-MOS tier androids, so...

I don't know. Something to be aware of. I know if I suddenly revealed to everyone I am involved with RP-wise that Edda is actually an intricate, heartless mannequin crafted by her father, I would seriously piss off more than a few people.

:moogle:

Glad I'm not crazy. I recently had a scene play out where someone reveals their character is a black mage (in privacy with a trusted group) and my rather normal character has the reaction of "..You're a WHAT??"

Literally 10 minutes go by where I'm staring at my chatbox and everyone just ignores my post like my character is crazy for thinking that weird when I know damn well they know what's up with lore.

That's that's just a black mage. If someone mysteriously revealed that they were an Allagan Android I would seriously consider retconning you and would DEFINITELY retcon you if you couldn't even allow my character or others to express being flabbergasted with the situation.

My grand experience with these kinds of things is that everyone just wants to be special in some way but doesn't really want to do the necessary RP that comes along with being a power ranger and just be accepted for being a power ranger.

*drops 2 cents and /exits*

Underrated post.

Glad I'm not crazy. I recently had a scene play out where someone reveals their character is a black mage (in privacy with a trusted group) and my rather normal character has the reaction of "..You're a WHAT??"

Literally 10 minutes go by where I'm staring at my chatbox and everyone just ignores my post like my character is crazy for thinking that weird when I know damn well they know what's up with lore.

That's that's just a black mage. If someone mysteriously revealed that they were an Allagan Android I would seriously consider retconning you and would DEFINITELY retcon you if you couldn't even allow my character or others to express being flabbergasted with the situation.

My grand experience with these kinds of things is that everyone just wants to be special in some way but doesn't really want to do the necessary RP that comes along with being a power ranger and just be accepted for being a power ranger.

Well, I mean to reveal her true nature through a story arc, and it's meant to be shocking. My character herself will be shocked about it, I'm not gonna act like being an android is normal.

Underrated post.

Well, I mean to reveal her true nature through a story arc, and it's meant to be shocking. My character herself will be shocked about it, I'm not gonna act like being an android is normal.

The issue is you know you are playing a character that stands a good chance to fly in the face of people's accepted understanding of the lore. You know that or you wouldn't be posting this.

If this was an idea you really wanted to do then you need to find an FC that is open to these kinds of things, put it on your app, and execute your plotline there with folk that -want- to be there.

Don't go make friends in the Quicksand and neglect to mention you're a massively lorebendy character and spring it on them. That's just a dick move.

Otherwise, find your like-minded group of people and knock yourself out.

Underrated post.

The issue is you know you are playing a character that stands a good chance to fly in the face of people's accepted understanding of the lore. You know that or you wouldn't be posting this.

If this was an idea you really wanted to do then you need to find an FC that is open to these kinds of things, put it on your app, and execute your plotline there with folk that -want- to be there.

Don't go make friends in the Quicksand and neglect to mention you're a massively lorebendy character and spring it on them. That's just a dick move.

Otherwise, find your like-minded group of people and knock yourself out.

I know, I know. I have random RP in the Quicksand, but I give subtle hints, at most. But if I find someone who accepts her true identity, then I try to involve them when my character is investigating about her past.

To sum it up: to who doesn't accept her as an android, she's just a normal amnesiac girl.

To who accepts it, well, for now she's still normal, but there are a few suspicious things about her and her past.

RE: Allagan mannequin/android not being feasible because they haven't shown that technology , have I missed something? The mannequins in the game seem remarkably "convincing" to me and they're explicitly called mannequins as they are not "flesh-and-blood soldiers." For what we know they can abdroids, I don't know if Eorzeans really have a concept of what am android may be but we know the mannequins are not flesh and blood.

This thread has sorta gotten past that initial stage of "potential" character. It was brought back almost a month after its last post. The character was made already. The feedback we can give now is more fleshing (hehe) out of poosibilities for the character's histories and what the best way to roleplay that out. However as of this moment most if not all here are not yet part of the narrative. It's up to OP for those parts.

It's of my opinion that plots like this need a certain "circle" of roleplayers who will be receptive. A group of players who frequently roleplay together. I would say plotting basis but I know some people will shut that down fairly hard.

RE: Allagan mannequin/android not being feasible because they haven't shown that technology , have I missed something? The mannequins in the game seem remarkably "convincing" to me and they're explicitly called mannequins as they are not "flesh-and-blood soldiers." For what we know they can abdroids, I don't know if Eorzeans really have a concept of what am android may be but we know the mannequins are not flesh and blood.

They don't even have faces, and they're likely mindless as well.

SIxpIjO.png

Also, if the character is already made, Retcons are still possible. The OP asked for advice and thoughts, and we're giving them.