Cloud is to be in Super Smash Bros!

Wha..? Why! I don't.

Could have at least given us a Crono. He was on SNES at least ;.;

Same reason Ryu is in Smash, and not Chun Li or any other Street Fighter character. Cloud is by far the most recognizable and popular Final Fantasy character there is.

I like Cloud... he's not my fave, not even in FF7, but I like him. ^^

Wha..? Why! I don't.

Same reason Ryu is in Smash, and not Chun Li or any other Street Fighter character. Cloud is by far the most recognizable and popular Final Fantasy character there is.

It's just so out of place. FF7 was never on a nintendo console. I know there are some other non-Nintendo characters, but I didn't like them being added either.

As was brought up in RPC chat, they could have done a FF character from 1-6 since they were all on Nintendo. Missed opportunity for a little black mage, or some kind of FF1 warrior of light tag-team character, like Pokemon Trainer in brawl. Black mage/white mage/(fighter or red mage), plz.

Wha..? Why! I don't.

It's just so out of place. FF7 was never on a nintendo console. I know there are some other non-Nintendo characters, but I didn't like them being added either.

As was brought up in RPC chat, they could have done a FF character from 1-6 since they were all on Nintendo. Missed opportunity for a little black mage, or some kind of FF1 warrior of light tag-team character, like Pokemon Trainer in brawl. Black mage/white mage/(fighter or red mage), plz.

Most likely tied in with the fact there will be an FF7 HD remake. There's no pre-FF7 (or post, for that matter... maybe other than Noctis) character that is relevant at this time. Just Nintendo and Square Enix cashing in on the remake.

I wanted Kain from FFIV...BUT HELLS YES I'LL TAKE CLOUD

seems surprisingly fast, shorter range than what you expect from a sword user (lots of the slashes have it start from within the character hitbox as opposed to extending the full arm and blade length like link, marth, ike or shulk.) Can never truly judge about power without percentages. Seems to have a useful tool kit with meteor smashes and the lark.

my worry is that he seems to have weak to poor recovery without the "limit break buff" (neutral b charge move?) and weak recovery characters tend to get shunted to mid to low tier just on the fact that more of the aerial zones are death for them.

He'll definitely become my secondary to link, if not primary.

FF7 HD marketing train has left the station.

NX bound next, perhaps?

Doubt it. Sony would shit themselves and throw a massive fit.

I'm about 97% sure this will end up multiplatform at some point regardless. At the very least, Xboned and PC will get their prescribed dose of sword-wielding edgelords.

If they were gonna add a character from a FF game, I'd much prefer Sabin. His Blitzes are perfectly suited for the move setup in Smash Brothers.

NOT TO MENTION HIS FINAL SMASH COULD BE SUPLEXING THE DOOM TRAIN ONTO THE STAGE.

Yeah, I would've liked a character more associated with Nintendo systems. But Cloud has become the posterboy of FF, whether we like it or not. And maybe more importantly, he'd sell millions of Amiibos. ;P

I sort of cringed at that trailer... but not nearly as much as I cringed at the reaction most of the internet has had to this news. My reaction to this is mostly just shaking my head and sighing with a "I really should have seen that coming."

I'm in the "was hoping for Shovel Knight" camp, because I thought it was a realistic possibility. Cloud? Freaking Cloud? How did this deal even happen? As many have already stated, his game has never even been on a Nintendo system. Well, aside from Theaterhythm I suppose. If that counts.

I fully understand that they know Cloud will sell the most DLC, and they are absolutely right. So ka-ching, Nintendo. I will choose to look on the bright side, however. At least it isn't Lightning.