Do you use the minions in RP?

GhostlyMaiden

Recently I've started using the red panda minion with my summoner, going with the idea its a glamour on their carbuncle. I'm still on the fence if it was something that Tali'ra just did because it was cute, or if the carbuncle (who he refers to as Iiyola) wanted it in some way. There seems to be a bit of murkiness on if a carbuncle has a sense of free will and autonomy (if you've done the quest with Tataru becoming on arcansit, you'll know what I'm talking about :V)

All the same, I just love how the red panda will latch to his shoulder and hang on. Its super cute, and I figure Tali'ra enjoys it as it feels much more comforting to have a pet who wants to be that close and isn't just a minion to fight for him.

For many of the non-wind-up minions (and a few of the wind-ups, as well, such as the Qiqirn), there's no need for a reason to use them in roleplay. You just have to want to. If you want to, then you'll figure out a way to work it into your character's story, and that's that.

Case in point, NUTKIN.

NUTKIN NUTKIN NUTKIN NUTKIN NUTKIN.

Harasses the shit out of everyone in Osric's vicinity. Gods forbid it's around when he visits with someone.

I AM VERY HAPPY YOU PUT THAT NUTKIN TO GOOD USE.

NOW HELP ME NAME SHIT.

It's come through RP that Kage has amassed a zoo of sorts of nice animal companions. It started with Shiron the chocobo whom he was left in the care of when its former owner left the chocobo as they ran away while Kage was training to become a Sultansworn. His most recent addition is a hawk preceded just before that was a warbear that he fought to submission.

Mama Griffin has recently laid her eggs in the nest she's made so if anyone was a close friend of Kage's and wanted one ICly... hit me up.

I considered just linking this for you as it answers your question too.

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Kage_Kiryuu#tab=Mounts_2C_Pets_2C_Companions

Still yes. I actually need to make major updates to even just this.

1280px-KageRestZoo.png

Holy thread necromancy, batman!

But anyway....

Yeah, I use minions in RP.  They're there in game, might as well react to them just like we do with chocobos, characters, mobs, and anything else.

Hell, I use Eurus, Erah'sae's chocobo, more then I use the actual character in some scenes.

I've actually included the little bombling in my character's rp for some time. With the backstory on it being a forge helper to Lori's father that followed her when she ran off from home. I have included a few other minions from time to time, some creatures that were just in passing while others have been happy accidents or gifts (gifts that require feeding.. on a tight gil budget).

I know personally I have plans for one of the baby wyverns or maybe the zu hatchling in burdening my character with a long term pet that grows up.

I use them similarly as I would my chocobo. I just hope none of them get as developed story wise as that dumb over-sized chicken.. xD

Roen has two little minions that were gifted to her, but since she is out and about most days, you won't see them running around unless she is in the city. Then she takes the time to keep them company. She has two different sitters for her little critters, a fat cat that is being looked after at the Forgotten Knight and a grey pup that a noble family in Ishgard treats as one of their own.

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be too "snowflakey" to have a Moogle tagging along with me IC through the wind-up pet, given their association with Seedseers?

Moogles can choose to appear to whoever they want, so it's not implausible. That said, you'd have to write a pretty convincing Moogle character to have one journey around Eorzea with your character.

Would it be too "snowflakey" to have a Moogle tagging along with me IC through the wind-up pet, given their association with Seedseers?

Moogles will literally stalk people.

Hell, in this game, they're so out and about they function as mailmen.

You're perfectly fine.

• 5 months later...

I have a little Wind-Up Tonberry that follows Alastor around. 

My current running headcanon is that he found it and it tried to stab at him even though the knife didn't work and he thought it's determination was "adorable." His buddies did not agree. So of course Alastor took it with him! And the little guy follows him to this day. 

(He calls it Mr. Stabbers.)

While I haven't used my Baby Opo-Opo in a long while, the minion you get for finishing the 3.0 relic quests I use as my Sch Faery whenever I'm not on my Scholar but she's still out and about. The wandering around is a bit annoying but liveable.

• 5 months later...

One of my character's is holding onto one MiB white whittret, because I got idea that when he finds some love, that perfect person should have white whittret as pet so my character can get annoyed by it :'D (Let's just call it weirdest kind of engagement ring.)

• 6 months later...

Nobutaka is a master Summoner and very proud of his mastery of carbuncles. So he has his summon carbuncle plus a wind up carbuncle following him at all times to help emphasize just how great he is! He can summon multiple carbuncle at once! (Sort of, at a distance >.>) combine those two with the carbuncle around the next from the mog station top and he has THREE blue carbuncle with him at all time. Deserving of his God of Magic title!

• 2 years later...

Yup! For Narengal I use the butterfly minion Morpho. More or less, the small bug is a half baked familiar that she created without intending to. In a way, summoning it as if a primal. Making a wish and using her aether to create her friend.

The butterfly, Erveekhai, is always present around her and assists her in spellcasting by essentially having the basics for some spells coded into it. As if she has half of the equation already. It allows her to cast very basic spells without her staff, using Erveekhai as a focus!