RP Alts?

Sorry to make yet another post so quickly after the previous one, but I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on having at characters dedicated to RP and casual play.

I have my first character, Jensen, who in Heavensward/endgame content--and while I've been playing him since open beta, I don't have any real interest to RP as that character.

Aera is a completely new character I've made. Ideally, I'd like her to eventually grow as strong as Jensen, even though that's going to take a lot of time. Not to mention I've seen her more as a Dark Knight or Machinst, which are both 3.0 roles that cannot be unlocked prior to entering Ishgard.

What are everyone's thoughts on RP alts? It seems like a lot more work, but I think it's worth it in the long run if you truly have a specific vision for a character.

I don't think anyone really minds if you RP on an alt. Just know that sometimes people can be a bit nervous to invest a lot of time into an alt character as a lot of times, alts end up vanishing and that leaves RP hanging. I myself have been guilty of this as well as a lot of others.

Also on the other end, it's nice to have an RP character that has access to all ares so you are not shut out from one thing or another. So RP events etc in HW if you do not have access their on your alt yet.

As I've said before on a different matter you posted, their is no set rule book for this stuff. do what you want, keep it lore friendly and people will RP with you.

Sorry to make yet another post so quickly after the previous one, but I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on having at characters dedicated to RP and casual play.

I have my first character, Jensen, who in Heavensward/endgame content--and while I've been playing him since open beta, I don't have any real interest to RP as that character.

Aera is a completely new character I've made. Ideally, I'd like her to eventually grow as strong as Jensen, even though that's going to take a lot of time. Not to mention I've seen her more as a Dark Knight or Machinst, which are both 3.0 roles that cannot be unlocked prior to entering Ishgard.

What are everyone's thoughts on RP alts? It seems like a lot more work, but I think it's worth it in the long run if you truly have a specific vision for a character.

I have an alt I rp as but yeah getting them leveled up isn't as bad, just takes some time, and at least you'll know what to expect. You can also get a friend to help you taxi around the three major cities first to make rping easier while you level.

I have an alt I rp as but yeah getting them leveled up isn't as bad, just takes some time, and at least you'll know what to expect. You can also get a friend to help you taxi around the three major cities first to make rping easier while you level.

Sort of what I've been doing. I'm currently speed running the main story. ^_^ Only 2 hours in and I'm already level 10. 

Aera's currently a MRD but I intend on changing that later when the game opens up to all regions of Eorzea. :)

What do I think of RP alts?

e3dd12b8a4.png

sweats

In all seriousness, though:

Yes. It is a lot of work. I've been playing the game for a while now and all but two of my characters are still parked at level 23. (Why 23? Because by then you have airships and Gold Saucer unlocked for maximum access to seasonal events, and also because it's around then you get your retainers; everyone loves extra inventory space.)

If you're the kind of person who enjoys questing and is good at pursuing a goal once they've decided they want it, then levelling alts can honestly go pretty quickly. You've already done all the quests once - you know where to go and what to do - and you can skip the dialogue since you've seen it already.

But there's also the fact I've had just as much RP on Confiance and Medic as I have on Aghurlal - Confiance being a baby and Medic a toddler in terms of how high level they are. Although of course I have long-term goals for their appearances that involve high-level content (such as Confiance's title... one day), that hasn't prevented me from starting to RP on them before I have those things attained. That's a good option if, like some people I know, you spend a lot of your free time doing stuff on your main and siphoning it off onto an alt would cause you to lose out; or if, like me, you're a lazy ass.

Presumably, people used to roleplay musketeers and broadswordsfolk before Heavensward came out. Maybe you could look into or ask around about the ways they used to represent those things, for use until you can get your alt up to Heavensward?

What do I think of RP alts?

e3dd12b8a4.png

sweats

In all seriousness, though:

Yes. It is a lot of work. I've been playing the game for a while now and all but two of my characters are still parked at level 23. (Why 23? Because by then you have airships and Gold Saucer unlocked for maximum access to seasonal events, and also because it's around then you get your retainers; everyone loves extra inventory space.)

If you're the kind of person who enjoys questing and is good at pursuing a goal once they've decided they want it, then levelling alts can honestly go pretty quickly. You've already done all the quests once - you know where to go and what to do - and you can skip the dialogue since you've seen it already.

But there's also the fact I've had just as much RP on Confiance and Medic as I have on Aghurlal - Confiance being a baby and Medic a toddler in terms of how high level they are. Although of course I have long-term goals for their appearances that involve high-level content (such as Confiance's title... one day), that hasn't prevented me from starting to RP on them before I have those things attained. That's a good option if, like some people I know, you spend a lot of your free time doing stuff on your main and siphoning it off onto an alt would cause you to lose out; or if, like me, you're a lazy ass.

Presumably, people used to roleplay musketeers and broadswordsfolk before Heavensward came out. Maybe you could look into or ask around about the ways they used to represent those things, for use until you can get your alt up to Heavensward?

That's a terrific and interesting point. I didn't think about how people RP'd those kinds of characters pre-3.0.

One other conflict is that, while I see Aera as a swordswoman--I've tanked with Jensen as PLD for 3 years. You can't blame me for wanting to do something different.

Hopefully 4.0 will give us a Swordsman DPS class. In the mean time, I'm probably going to go Rouge/ninja once I can unlock it.

I have two alts that I rp on regularly besides my main, and they're both at level 60. I've chipped at them little by little when it comes to their levelling, sometimes doing as little as one roulette a day. Basically whenever I got rather bored I'd jump over to them and nudge them along. It was, for me, a really nice way of going about them. 

What I also do is that I completely segregate character from class, meaning that I level their pve as per what I feel like trying out where it doesn't influence their RP. Sometimes I pay some thought to RP gear, but even my tank who I RP as not-even-slightly the type who'd wear heavy gear has a good wardrobe now a days. 

I've gone back and forth concept-wise on one of the alt slots, but I am back to having the same two in my rotation as I made them something like two years ago. Obviously I spend far the most time on my main, but I seem to have found a balance where I can fill the other two with enough plot to keep them interesting.

I technically have a "content main" and an "RP main." >>;

Gogon is the guy I want to get 60 on everything on, and is the one I try to keep decently well-geared and tackle new content first. I've gotten the elemental horses on him, want to get the birds, maxed all the beast tribes, and has my collection of mounts, minions, and barding. I do RP with him some, but I still sort of see him as my PvE guy.

Chachan, on the other hand, is my RP guy. The one I usually idle on in the Quicksand looking for someone to chat with, and the one I most actively seek RP on. He has his 60s - but they're all mainly just the stuff related to him "ICly" - BSM/ARM/LTW all 60, and PLD as well. I do keep him up-to-date on the MSQ, but I'm far less intent on keeping him super well-geared or clearing the side-content with him.

So, technically, Chachan is an "rp alt" depending on definition. And he gets a decent amount of RP regardless. I just have a bit of "busywork" I do on Gogon first (mostly on weekly reset days), then I swing onto him for the RPs. :thumbsup:

If you can bounce between them, aye they work.

Personally? I can't. I sometimes still roleplay Virella, but that's on request. Also I don't want to make new contacts on her directly because I'm constantly on Ave, and I don't want to leave them hanging because I can't manage roleplaying two at the same time.

That said... I'm levelling both and they both are being used for different things. Vi is mostly my tank/healer, and Ave my dps/healer.

I have an alt problem.

I have 5, 3 at 60's, 2 are work in-progress ones. I get on my 3-5 ones from time to time and donk around. My 1-2 I put the most work into. Both have multiple 60's and very well "take care of". I regards to items/farming things and what not.

I at least like having the two. If I can't be on Ritsu due to IC reasons and I WANT to RP there is always Chi. Or if I want a change of pace, Ritsu and Chi are not even remotely a like. 

It is work xD But it isn't bad if you pace yoursef like do leveling roulette and then story for a hour or so a day.

Alts are fine and can give more variety to your selection. Maybe you don't want to RP on your main and want to Rp this other toon. Don't feel up for female characters? Play the male.

But to be fair I already have seven alts for RP, three at least above level 50 and not counting NPC characters I have, it is a lot of work. Especially when some are family members (See Xyla's Wiki).

Truth be told, if you are committed to playing more than one character, alts are fine.

I have eight characters, seven of which were designed with a story in mind. Five are at end-game, one is perma-stuck at 56 since I lost interest in Ninja and she already achieved the glamour I set out to get for her, and one is at level 50 content still - but will eventually move on up one my partner decides to level her Lala through HW too. The last I will reluctantly replace with a new race when it appears and if it appeals to me. I have a concept for Viera in mind but if I could make more than eight characters per server I'd have a lot more. Unfortunately I need to be picky.

Did they take work? Well naturally it's a lot more questing, but it's a hell of a lot more variety, really refreshing when your inspiration shifts from one direction to another, and really satisfying when different designs call for different sets so that each patch has a greater chance of appealing to at least one of your characters.

I only really have one true class per character however since just the one character being able to do everything feels stale to me so it's not like they all have several classes levelled(with few exceptions but not for the purpose of playing).

I have one alt (because I am bad at alts) sitting at level 57 (because I am bad at MCH). Mostly I use her for RP, though I do want to gear her and get her to endgame...once I figure out how not to be terrible at filling things with bullets.

Short answer: Yes. If you feel like it's worth the effort to make and level another character, then go for it.

I have 6 characters. One is main, 2 others get played relatively frequently, and the other three are mostly concepts without full stories yet (in varying stages). I love playing my three major kids, even though I'm usually on as my main - and I can always jump to one of them if I feel like it or if someone asks for them.

I'm one of those people who levels classes based on the character. So Cam'nahl is an Arcanist/Scholar, and I recently picked up enough levels in THM to get Swiftcast and open Summoner - and I found a way to make it compliant with his story for him to have some experience in those fields. Same with CNJ. They'll never be something he canon specializes in, but I can explain why he'd know at least the basics. However, he will never, ever be the time to pick up a sword or another weapon - which is what alts are for, for me. They let me explore a different character's personality and other classes at the same time.

I don't think anyone really minds if you RP on an alt. Just know that sometimes people can be a bit nervous to invest a lot of time into an alt character as a lot of times, alts end up vanishing and that leaves RP hanging. I myself have been guilty of this as well as a lot of others.

I've found this to be a self-fulfilling prophecy though. Like, I have alts that people actively avoid RPing with because they're alts, and that makes me less likely to play them. So I drop them for a while and those people who ignored me think 'see, we've proven alts can't be trusted'. 

While few people will outright say that you shouldn't RP with alts, I've seen that philosophy carried out in practice fairly often, actually.

I don't mind RPing with alts actually, like most characters if the character is interesting, I'll gladly go for it.

Mostly it's always about the form you put into it. I see a lot of connection requests on that forum that I could potentially have answered to, but didn't because it was a bit like "HERE ARE MY 5 CHARACTERS, MAKE YOUR CHOICE". It generally doesn't show the same kind of attachment you will see with a single character. It also means divided time for the player, and that you potentially will never see a character for months before it comes back again to life. Sometimes it's even a way for the player to gauge which character interests people and which one will work... Great when you pick up the wrong one.

So yeah I'm very wary of that, but I'm always totally open for alt characters (especially when the player has many) with people I trust. A lot of the connections requests are already most of the time puzzling to me because people will show up here, ask for connection, friend you ingame, and then... never contact you again. I actively have to seek them out most of the time for something to happen (with a few exceptions). It's already tiring because I die a little inside everytime I have to /tell strangers repeatedly for RP, so imagine now, add that with all the potential issues arising with alts...

One of the worst banes of RP is player fickleness. When players are fickle enough and go through alts and reprocess them regularly, it's just... urg.

I've had... three alts since ARR launched. Miah was technically an alt. I made her after I got to 30 and unlocked Monk on my first character (a decent achievement at the time). I believe I felt that being a caster wouldn't fit my first character and I wanted to try one out, so I made Miah as a Arcanist, found that I enjoyed the character that I made and I've been playing her since.

I don't see anything wrong with having a PvE main and a RP alt, if that's what makes sense for you, then go right ahead and do it. However, as others have said, there are going to be those that hesitate to RP with a character that they know is an alt because the player of the alt has already sort of declared their own investment in the character - as an alt its not first priority. RPing takes time and the players should get invested in the story and the relationships that are built, and many would rather not risk wasting time with a character they may not see around a month from now.

There have been times when I had to deal with RP alts, and... well, its not easy really. Miahs significant other started off as an alt, and while they were still feeling the waters and dating, there were times that the alt situation became an issue. If I was going to tie Miah down to someone, I would want them to be around - I had just come back from a situation in Wildstar where my characters SO wasn't around often (eventually vanishing on me), leaving my character sad and lonely for most of the RP events. It wasn't something that I wanted to repeat. Eventually things worked out in FF14 though. Miahs SO became a main and they had their ceremony months ago. Its been great. I'm extremely happy that I decided to not blow off someone just because they were an alt.

To mitigate what I said above a bit, I would definitely say that no matter what, alt or not, if the characters is really interesting I'll be drawn to it like a fly anyway.

I have an alt problem.

I have 5, 3 at 60's, 2 are work in-progress ones. I get on my 3-5 ones from time to time and donk around. My 1-2 I put the most work into. Both have multiple 60's and very well "take care of". I regards to items/farming things and what not.

I at least like having the two. If I can't be on Ritsu due to IC reasons and I WANT to RP there is always Chi. Or if I want a change of pace, Ritsu and Chi are not even remotely a like. 

It is work xD But it isn't bad if you pace yoursef like do leveling roulette and then story for a hour or so a day.

This is very similar to my situation. When I started being active on the RPC, I had three 'mains'; now I have five as well. As far as gameplay goes, they are either through HW or staring down that long tunnel of 2.1-2.55. I love swapping between them because each is their own unique character and all are fun to play as.

I don't mind RPing with alts actually, like most characters if the character is interesting, I'll gladly go for it.

Mostly it's always about the form you put into it. I see a lot of connection requests on that forum that I could potentially have answered to, but didn't because it was a bit like "HERE ARE MY 5 CHARACTERS, MAKE YOUR CHOICE". It generally doesn't show the same kind of attachment you will see with a single character. It also means divided time for the player, and that you potentially will never see a character for months before it comes back again to life. Sometimes it's even a way for the player to gauge which character interests people and which one will work... Great when you pick up the wrong one.

So yeah I'm very wary of that, but I'm always totally open for alt characters (especially when the player has many) with people I trust. A lot of the connections requests are already most of the time puzzling to me because people will show up here, ask for connection, friend you ingame, and then... never contact you again. I actively have to seek them out most of the time for something to happen (with a few exceptions). It's already tiring because I die a little inside everytime I have to /tell strangers repeatedly for RP, so imagine now, add that with all the potential issues arising with alts...

One of the worst banes of RP is player fickleness. When players are fickle enough and go through alts and reprocess them regularly, it's just... urg.

(bolded for empahsis)

And I completely understand this. There was one time a new minor plot line was introduced to one of my characters and I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT IT. I say it's minor, but it wasn't so minor to the other player who has one character to keep track of. I'm still so embarrassed about this.

Nothing makes me happier in game than to debate who I want to take to an event, juggle multiple story lines, and make progress in gameplay. I probably should invest in a notebook at this point, rather than relying on memory for plots I have going on. Maybe it's a relic of when I was little and an only child, I'm too used to imagining my own friends to play with. lol.

Both of these being said, I can see how my playing so many alts cuts into the time and concentration I spend on my RP partners, especially those who play only as one character AND have limited time in game (unlike me who practically lives in game outside of work). I tend to have an easier time with other altoholics since we both can offer a spread of cards, so to speak, and pick and chose which story line catches our fancy right then.

To a certain extent, I am actually jealous of those that can just play as one character and derive plenty of enjoyment from that.

Wow, thanks for the responses, everyone!

Yeah, it's a tricky tightrope to balance upon--but I'm going to have Jensen be my super-powered engame PvE character, and Aera be the RP character--and maybe I'll slowly end up playing one or the other more often. It depends on what the circumstance is.

My headcanon is that Jensen is the Warrior of Light--and Aera is just a skillful wanderer, living in Eorzea. In doing that, it helps me separate the MSQ from RP'ing, which is apparently what many are expected to do in MMORPGs.

My ideal situation would have Jensen be for getting to the endgame, doing serious content--or just taking a day to dungeon, interact with a FC, and just "Play" the game. 

Aera is a more storytelling approach--with some of Jensen's focus, but moreso on building a character and growing immersed in the world and the other players/characters who inhabit it. Obviously I intend on dungeoning and running instances with both, but it's too early to tell who will become my primary character, and what will become of the other character.

Seems like having just *one* alt as opposed to several like a lot of folks on here will definitely be an easier balancing act, especially for an RP newcomer like myself.

At the end of the day--I still gotta work towards making Aera a DRK. :P

Seems like having just *one* alt as opposed to several like a lot of folks on here will definitely be an easier balancing act, especially for an RP newcomer like myself.

Oh, definitely. If you're going to RP multiple characters, I highly recommend trying to schedule the RPs more if there's a lot of interest. I have a total of three RP characters, and there have been moments where it seems everyone wants to play with two or all three of them simultaneously. So, to alleviate that, I had a while where it was "this day is primarily for RP on Gogon" and so on - dedicated RP days for specific characters set as a baseline, and then adjusted based on who wanted to RP with whom and at what day/time.

Oh, definitely. If you're going to RP multiple characters, I highly recommend trying to schedule the RPs more if there's a lot of interest. I have a total of three RP characters, and there have been moments where it seems everyone wants to play with two or all three of them simultaneously. So, to alleviate that, I had a while where it was "this day is primarily for RP on Gogon" and so on - dedicated RP days for specific characters set as a baseline, and then adjusted based on who wanted to RP with whom and at what day/time.

I think what really helps for me is that with my 2 characters, Jensen is strictly PvE/Story/etc and Aera is specifically made for RP. 

Having that divide really helps with choosing what you want to focus on when you sit down at the login screen, about to play FFXIV, yeah?

The fewer alts one has, the easier it is to manage, as many have already stated. I have 6 characters on Balmung atm and while they are all open for RP, I've found that more time has been spent on them just moving through content than meeting people. 3 are at lvl 60, with a 4th not too far behind now. As one might gather, I'm perfectly fine with alts, and I was one of those searching for contacts with the "here are my 5 characters, now choose" threads. Lol Aside a few personal reasons for promoting so many characters at one time, I had a lot of ideas and inspirations that took form over time, and I love having the option of who and what to play on any given day. Different personalities, different hopes and dreams, different potential. As Devil's Advocate to that though, be prepared for strangers who are incapable of understanding those visions and won't take you seriously as you may be a bad investment for their time.

Don't stretch yourself too thin, but do what allows you to have fun in this game and enjoy the time you spend in it. While there may be a struggle to find people to experience multiple characters with, you'll find those eventually who want to participate with what you have to offer. Just don't get discouraged, and don't stop loving your alts when it seems like no one wants them. <3