Maintenance Rage Thread

While it is true they split groups they really only split it down the middle, and hopefully since they're will be more active players instead of afk's (fingers crossed) it should work better.

-Alleviating Stress on Duty Finder Servers

This maintenance has implemented countermeasures to alleviate the stress on servers. Previously, matching took place across all servers in the various region data centers, but following this maintenance, matching will now take place within the selected groups below.

*North American/European Data Centers

-Group 1

Adamantoise/Balmung/Cactuar/Diabolos/Exodus/

Goblin/Hyperion/Lamia/Malboro/Moogle/Odin/

Ragnarok/Siren

-Group 2

Behemoth/Cerberus/Coeurl/Excalibur/Faerie/

Gilgamesh/Leviathan/Midgardsormr/Phoenix/

Sargatanas/Shiva/Ultros

Sucks Balmung and Gilgamesh are in separate groups though

-Login Restrictions

In the time period just after maintenance has completed, we predict a rush of characters logging in simultaneously. In order to prevent any technical difficulties due to this login rush, we will be temporarily placing severe login restrictions. These login restrictions may occur frequently, lasting from a few minutes to ten minutes; however, restrictions will be lifted in a gradual manner as login status is carefully monitored. We ask for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Furthermore, as a result of the countermeasures taken to alleviate stress on the Duty Finder servers, we expect to be able to increase the number of players able to login simultaneously; however, if those login numbers still surpass the maximum number of possible logins in the various Worlds, please be aware that we will continue to implement login restrictions.

So yes login restrictions will still be in effect so that the login server won't crash when everyone thats been waiting to play logs in at one time. But...

-Regarding Limits on New Character Creation

As a result of this maintenance, it is now possible to accommodate an increased number of simultaneous logins in the various Worlds; therefore, we have now lifted the New Character Creation restrictions in the majority of Worlds in which restrictions were in effect. New players who are just starting a game or those who would simply like to create a new character can do so by finding a World which has had the restrictions lifted, and creating a character there.

Please note that there is a tendency for characters to become concentrated in certain Worlds, causing login numbers to jump up in those particular Worlds. In order to create a population balance between Worlds, we will continue to be implementing New Character Creation restrictions in overly congested Worlds.

We will monitor the situation, and in the event restrictions may be lifted, follow-up news posts will be posted. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and ask for your patience and understanding.

They still increased the size of the servers so they can hold more people now. The login server issues and world size issues are separate. They are limited how many people can login on at one time but as they day goes on and concurrent hits lower more people will be able to get on.

Full Lodestone maintenance report:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/4198c8c4e8b4b749e6881aa564b9b8b5c44d4061

They said that before too. Temporary became all the time.

Give it until peak hours you'll see.

This was because they hadn't upgraded the servers to hold the population yet. Though an afk timer maybe be needed to completely solve the issue, the larger population size means more people on and hopefully less afker's. => Alleviating the login issues since there will not be thousands of people spamming 0 and repeatedly trying to login which causes greater stress on the login server.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm the only one getting an "Unable to complete version check" error after the maintenance? not even replacing the boot folder works this time (>_<)

You may have already tried this; when I got this yesterday it took a reboot for the problem to go away. I don't know if that fixed it or whether it was fixed at Square's end during the time I took to do the reboot.

I guess I'm the only one getting an "Unable to complete version check" error after the maintenance? not even replacing the boot folder works this time (>_<;)

You may have already tried this; when I got this yesterday it took a reboot for the problem to go away.  I don't know if that fixed it or whether it was fixed at Square's end during the time I took to do the reboot.

I've rebooted my comp, but the problem remains. I think I just need to replace my boot folder files with those from someone whose client has patched successfully today. Someone from the Skype chat is sending their files to me, I hope they work ;w;

(I initially tried replacing the files with an outdated boot folder, so I guess that's why it didn't work).

It could also be that the patch servers are being hit so hard at the moment that the error message (the numbers can be different) might mean you can't connect to it.

Fingers crossed and keep trying.

It worked! Game is finally patching ^^

If anyone gets the same error, at least now we know how to solve it.

Welp, it's 1 pm UK, got 90ked, 3102 and now 1017 when I try to get back in. Can't say I'm impressed.

This happened to me while I was halfway through a dungeon, at about the same time... and it seemed like I was with some decent randoms :cactuar:

I'm getting hit with a bunch of the 3102s as well. Very irksome.

Well now it's truly an official fail launch. I was with them for a while but not adding an afk kick an seeing people get errors that kick them from the game and their characters remain in game indefinitely making it impossible for them to log back in really seals the deal on this one.

I'm starting to slowly float onto that boat you're on.. I keep trying to remain positive and believe SE will fix it.. but a problem always comes up after they 'fix' something it seems.

Been at it all day and still Balmung has not opened up for me to create a character. This is stinks, as all my RP friends are there. Honestly I wish they would fallow Arenanet's way of handling these issues. In Guild Wars 2 that have an AFK timer, you are always able to log on, and they have server guesting. Plus, a pretty smooth launch. I just hope SN eventually fallows their approach on these issues.

Well now it's truly an official fail launch. I was with them for a while but not adding an afk kick an seeing people get errors that kick them from the game and their characters remain in game indefinitely making it impossible for them to log back in really seals the deal on this one.

-sigh- It's comments like these that upset me. 

It's not a fail launch. It's an unpredictably -amazing- launch, as far as SE is concerned. 

These problems are coming up now, because none of the betas were an accurate picture of the load they'd have. We didn't have log in issues in P2/P3. Well. Not issues related to server load, atleast.

Open beta (P4) had some, but they were handled. EA had some, but they were handled.

The game launched -ONE- week ago, and they have more than double, probably more than triple the people trying to log in now than they did in the betas and EA. EA had -no- sign that this was coming, and they're scrambling around trying to get their shit together. They're doing the best they can, given the circumstances... 

A game should never be considered a failed launch, untill atleast a month in. Deciding it within a week? You're not even giving it the chance it deserves.

Thankful: Barring the 3107, able to get in pretty quickly.

Driving me crazy: unable to REMAIN in for much more than 30 min (less than 5 sometimes). I feel I can't even play the game for fear of D/Cing and hitting the 3107... it's not my connection, have a laptop right next to me and my connection never falls. Never happened in Beta/Ph4... and have put in several tickets. No online chat able... and can't even post on the Lodestone since it won't accept my Main Character (keeps telling me I haven't chosen one).

*sigh*

Working for next few days, so hopefully the kinks will be worked out.

Moving in next 2-3 weeks, so if it -is- my WLAN connection (don't get me started on why its WLAN and not via cable)- hopefully will be fixed.

Anyway... that's my rage atm.

Hate dying or failing crafting due to spontaneous D/C's... and not feeling comfortable joining a dungeon group... (or engaging in the RP I enjoy).....

It's not a fail launch. It's an unpredictably -amazing- launch, as far as SE is concerned. 

These problems are coming up now, because none of the betas were an accurate picture of the load they'd have. We didn't have log in issues in P2/P3. Well. Not issues related to server load, atleast.

Open beta (P4) had some, but they were handled. EA had some, but they were handled.

The game launched -ONE- week ago, and they have more than double, probably more than triple the people trying to log in now than they did in the betas and EA. EA had -no- sign that this was coming, and they're scrambling around trying to get their shit together. They're doing the best they can, given the circumstances... 

A game should never be considered a failed launch, untill atleast a month in. Deciding it within a week? You're not even giving it the chance it deserves.

I would disagree, betas will never show the true numbers, as not everyone likes beta testing. They could easily get an idea of the pre-orders, which would represent the EA people. And from glancing through the internet you could tell the hype for FFXIV:ARR was pretty good.  That should have gave them a better idea what was going to come. Heck, they struggled in EA. Pre-orders, regardless of what game, are usually only a small proportion of those who will actually buy the game.

Sure, they're doing the best they can in the current circumstances, but that's no excuse - they should have been a lot better prepared. Bugs I can deal with, but locking people out of the game and not having a proper queue system to log in, especially considered they've launched more than one MMO? That's disappointing imho, considering they were re-releasing this as an "apology" for what 1.0 was.

I'm not saying they should have had 100 servers at launch... but where were their contingency plans?

If I recall, the hype for SWTOR was pretty good too, and that was... well... it was TOR.

I think they had good reason to believe despite how many people were talking about it that it wouldn't be as great as success as they hoped. People -surely- would've still had preconceived notions and disinterest just because of what happened with 1.0. I'm sure they thought they were well prepared for everything and only realized they weren't when the huge number came flooding in.

Kudos to them. If the game is good, after all is said and done and the floaters are swept away in the sea of 'WELL, THIS ISN'T WARCRAFT', they'll still have a, likely, large and stable player base.

So long as no catastrophes happen between now and then.

If I recall, the hype for SWTOR was pretty good too, and that was... well... it was TOR.

SWTOR did, but mind you SWTOR had twenty-thousand (notreally) servers from the start. They had a thirty minute to an hour queue time and people complained a lot so they added even MORE servers. Which did -not- help matters. 

Later on we went from over 50 servers or so down to a small handful and we were merged onto other servers. Unfortunately we lost our names from launch because they did not appropriately do the merge. Anyone on a destination server got to keep their names while people who merged onto it had to change the name. It was not based on who made the name first. :/ 

This caused a lot of issues as you may imagine especially with the RP community.

I can understand the desire not to add servers. But it is a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

I would disagree, betas will never show the true numbers, as not everyone likes beta testing. They could easily get an idea of the pre-orders, which would represent the EA people. And from glancing through the internet you could tell the hype for FFXIV:ARR was pretty good.  That should have gave them a better idea what was going to come. Heck, they struggled in EA. Pre-orders, regardless of what game, are usually only a small proportion of those who will actually buy the game.

Sure, they're doing the best they can in the current circumstances, but that's no excuse - they should have been a lot better prepared. Bugs I can deal with, but locking people out of the game and not having a proper queue system to log in, especially considered they've launched more than one MMO? That's disappointing imho, considering they were re-releasing this as an "apology" for what 1.0 was.

I'm not saying they should have had 100 servers at launch... but where were their contingency plans?

They've said a few times now that they weren't given the numbers for copies sold from other retailers, and there's no way they could have predicted this huge influx before the start of early access. Browsing around on the internet for hype is also not a good indicator of potential customers.

Fact is they could only account for digital downloads from their own store, digital downloads which cost £5 more than their physical counterparts. Add to that, even if they had access to the preorder numbers from other retailers, such as Amazon, I wonder how many people, like me, preordered a couple of days before early access, waiting to check out the open beta first.

What's happening right now is their contingency plan. I mean how were they supposed to prepare for certain specific failures, when these failures only appeared when the game went live?

If they were able to predict that these problems would arise, they would have fixed them before they became problems, you know? I mean you can be sure that there's supposed to be a working login queue and that you're not supposed to be kicked by error 90k, and if these errors didn't exist, there would be no need to AFK either.

So what do you do? You identify the problems, and fix them, which is exactly what they're doing now and if you read through their announcements, you'll see it wasn't as simple as not enough servers.

SE screwed up, but they want to fix this as much as we want them to fix it and from my experience, being able to log in twice during peak hours first time, as opposed to waiting 30 minutes spamming numpad 0, it seems we're finally getting our solutions.

10:31 pm est.

So i was headed to bed for the night and I was interested in seeing if I could log out and log back in with no issues out of curiosity.  So I went to the inn and right clicked the bed and hit the exit button.  Game shuts down nice then I go to log back in and everything seems to go smoothly.  Untill I got 3102 LAWL totally didnt expect to see that one.