Maintenance Rage Thread

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm able to get in game, play, but when I go to an instance, it loads, and loads, and loads... then it crashes. Then my character is stuck in limbo. I switch to other character, queue, get in. Play. But if i go with an instance with said character, SAME incident.

LOL, you either can't get in or you get in and have complication. It's like WoW's launch all over again. Both games are/were great at launch, to look at it in a positive light. It means the game is a good game. Sucks so much server issues.

This was posted last Friday, but it's a good read.

Also, from the above link.

Resolving AFK Character Issues

From several users on some of our more congested Worlds, we have received requests for a feature which automatically logs out characters who are AFK for an extended period of time. We are actively looking into the implementation of such a feature, but have decided to first concentrate our efforts on increasing the number of Worlds and optimizing the Duty Finder servers.

I'm still on the side of an AFK timer being basically useless. With the internet these days information gets passed around so fast that everyone and his mother will be able to bypass it in a couple of days.  Especially the reddit crowd who will be like "INJUSTICE! How dare SE try to stop us logging in 24/7 and clogging up the servers pointlessly! The only thing that matters is if i get to play! This breaches human rights!"

And then how long would an AFK timer be? Does everyone have to make sure they move every 5-10 minutes while they have a quick break to use the bathroom and make a cup of coffee?

I think if i were to request something from SE about the game i'd first ask them to make it easier to block unwanted people and to crack down on gold spammers.

I think half an hour sounds reasonable. Sure you could find ways around it. It would probably be as easy as writing a macro telling your character to jump once ever 10 minutes or something. But most people wouldn't do that.

For most people, they'd tab out to watch a youtube video, and then get sidetracked into watching 5 more, and reading 12 wiki pages for no apparent reason. But hey, now you know the unlikely origin story of saccharin, and that ciorba de burta, or tripe soup, is one of the 4 national dishes of Romania.

I forgot the point of this... Oh right, you get kicked for being AFK. But that's no big deal, just log back in again.

That's the thing, an AFK timer is pointless. You can easily get around it, and when the servers are fully operational, there's going to be far less people AFKing because logging in won't be a problem.

SE knows that, it's why they called an AFK timer a placebo solution and they're focused on fixing the servers first, because the servers are the actual problem and everything else is a product of that problem (like a large amount of players AFKing to avoid being locked out). Until now they kept dismissing the idea of an AFK timer.

But hey, the majority of people want one, so if anything this shows us that they're listening to the players (or humouring them as the case may be).

It's not like SE has never encountered AFKers before, it's why there is a timer on dungeons after all, they're just fully aware that it's not going to fix anything with regards to the server issues.

That's the thing, an AFK timer is pointless. You can easily get around it, and when the servers are fully operational, there's going to be far less people AFKing because logging in won't be a problem.

That's my point. I think you're overestimating how far people are willing to go to avoid being logged out. I'm fairly sure most AFK are just AFK because they can. They probably couldn't even be bothered to go into options and tick a "Don't AFK-boot me" box to avoid it. They just get up from their computers and go do other stuff, and if they get kicked during that, they'd just accept it.

There are always going to be those people who move heaven and earth to not get kicked for being AFK. I know one guy who used to tape a lego block to his forward key, and aim his character towards a corner for that very reason. But these people are just a tiny minority.

And even if it's just a placebo, having part of a server just standing around being AFK is, if nothing else, depressing to look at. It's better that the people who are online are the ones actually playing the game.

Is anyone else having a bunch of latency and graphic bugs after the maintenance? I have shimmering shadows/brightness and textures in all the window modes, and sometimes it appears as if a "sliver" of a texture randomly hovers in the air. Most recently, it was like a cone of bright Ul'dah building exterior texture through the bed when I logged out.

I don't get it, everything worked fine on the highest setting on a 60fps cap. Now it is all buggy at even the lowest settings/30fps cap.

My temps are 30-40 degrees Celsius and all my drivers are up to date, so it can't be that. Plus, it started today, and seemed to be fine yesterday (was there another maintenance? I didn't get any notification in that case). Antivirus is ordered to keep its mitts away from anything to do with FFXIV, and port forwarding didn't help. Nor does Game Booster.

My system benchmarks at 14833 (extremely high) when I have all the settings at the highest in full screen, so it should be able to handle everything.

Is anyone else having a bunch of latency and graphic bugs after the maintenance? I have shimmering shadows/brightness and textures in all the window modes, and sometimes it appears as if a "sliver" of a texture randomly hovers in the air. Most recently, it was like a cone of bright Ul'dah building exterior texture through the bed when I logged out.

I don't get it, everything worked fine on the highest setting on a 60fps cap. Now it is all buggy at even the lowest settings/30fps cap.

My temps are 30-40 degrees Celsius and all my drivers are up to date, so it can't be that. Plus, it started today, and seemed to be fine yesterday (was there another maintenance? I didn't get any notification in that case). Antivirus is ordered to keep its mitts away from anything to do with FFXIV, and port forwarding didn't help. Nor does Game Booster.

My system benchmarks at 14833 (extremely high) when I have all the settings at the highest in full screen, so it should be able to handle everything.

Would need details about hardware your computer has. Also if you use any overclocking and boost programs for your graphics card.

For what it's worth i've noticed a couple of crashes related to certain elements. Might be that some stuff needs updating to work with the engine will do some research on that. It appears to be definitely more on their end though as far as a programming error. Maybe they'll solve it soon.

Would need details about hardware your computer has. Also if you use any overclocking and boost programs for your graphics card.

For what it's worth i've noticed a couple of crashes related to certain elements. Might be that some stuff needs updating to work with the engine will do some research on that. It appears to be definitely more on their end though as far as a programming error. Maybe they'll solve it soon.

System details:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (6.1, build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)

Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

16366.664MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690(VRAM 4014 MB) 9.18.0013.2049

I use Noctua NF-A15 with an extra fan for cooling (from what I could gather, this was the best possible cooler for my system). 

I use a Samsung SSD 140 PRO for my games, and it's pretty new, but used enough to know that it works like it should (Skyrim, even with cells upped to 7 instead of 5, and with a bunch of HD mods and heavy ENBs loads in a split second, and runs stable and with good temps).

Also, it was checked by some computer professionals after the fan installation (the latest one) and stress-tested a lot, and came out stable.

Only FFXIV causes any problems (and I have a lot of stuff that can cause problems if there's a hole in the system somewhere).

No overclocking since I don't want to risk any overheating or undue stress on the components (but if it fixes these issues, I could overclock CPU to 4GHz), maybe in the future, but right now, it can handle all the games on maximum settings, even with Extra Ultimate Extreme HD MODS .

I've heard that both Nvidia and AMD systems have problems, so it's probably a problem from S-E's side. Alternatively, I've heard that it might be fixed with Directx 11.

Also, I had a BSoD crash that indicated FFXIV yesterday (but none since then). And flickering seems to definitely appear if I let the log in screen be on for a while (like one or two times through the intro movie), while if I log in almost directly it constrains itself to shimmers of the in-game graphics (the slivers of random textures hovering in midair seems to be gone).

I hope the 12 September maintenance can fix some of these issues.

System details:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (6.1, build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)

16366.664MB RAM

I use Noctua NF-A15 with an extra fan for cooling (from what I could gather, this was the best possible cooler for my system). 

I use a Samsung SSD 140 PRO for my games, and it's pretty new, but used enough to know that it works like it should (Skyrim, even with cells upped to 7 instead of 5, and with a bunch of HD mods and heavy ENBs loads in a split second, and runs stable and with good temps).

Also, it was checked by some computer professionals after the fan installation (the latest one) and stress-tested a lot, and came out stable.

Only FFXIV causes any problems (and I have a lot of stuff that can cause problems if there's a hole in the system somewhere).

No overclocking since I don't want to risk any overheating or undue stress on the components (but if it fixes these issues, I could overclock CPU to 4GHz), maybe in the future, but right now, it can handle all the games on maximum settings, even with Extra Ultimate Extreme HD MODS .

I've heard that both Nvidia and AMD systems have problems, so it's probably a problem from S-E's side. Alternatively, I've heard that it might be fixed with Directx 11.

Also, I had a BSoD crash that indicated FFXIV yesterday (but none since then). And flickering seems to definitely appear if I let the log in screen be on for a while (like one or two times through the intro movie), while if I log in almost directly it constrains itself to shimmers of the in-game graphics (the slivers of random textures hovering in midair seems to be gone).

I wouldn't overclock, your system should be running at 60+ pretty much all of the time with those specs.

I've actually researched into this, because I feel like my game is also running quite poorly compared to other games I can run on high no problem, and it seems there's a few threads of people who have noticed a sudden performance drop on their clients. Unfortunately I didn't see any solutions for this problem.

The fact though that your game was working flawlessly is proof that your computer can handle it, and from what you described it sounds like there's a glitch that's severely impacting your performance (possibly a memory leak).

Also rereading your initial post, I've just realised that I get the same weird glitches too! My game has crashed a few times due to a system error now. I've had the same client since phase 4 and I've been meaning to do a reinstall to see if it fixes anything (although I'm tempted to just reinstall win7 for that ultra clean feeling).

So, sorry but I don't have a solution. Although you're definitely not the only one and it's not something that's wrong with your machine.

System details:

16366.664MB RAM

I wouldn't overclock, your system should be running at 60+ pretty much all of the time with those specs.

I've actually researched into this, because I feel like my game is also running quite poorly compared to other games I can run on high no problem, and it seems there's a few threads of people who have noticed a sudden performance drop on their clients. Unfortunately I didn't see any solutions for this problem.

The fact though that your game was working flawlessly is proof that your computer can handle it, and from what you described it sounds like there's a glitch that's severely impacting your performance (possibly a memory leak).

Also rereading your initial post, I've just realised that I get the same weird glitches too! My game has crashed a few times due to a system error now. I've had the same client since phase 4 and I've been meaning to do a reinstall to see if it fixes anything (although I'm tempted to just reinstall win7 for that ultra clean feeling).

So, sorry but I don't have a solution. Although you're definitely not the only one and it's not something that's wrong with your machine.

I see. Thanks anyway for the confirmation that it isn't my computer, because if it was, it would probably take ages to get fixed right now (the place where I send it for repairs/component installations is currently swamped since everyone got back from vacation and found their computers in varying states of disarray).

Ah well, fingers crossed for 12th Sept. maintenance.

Ah, so it's not just me?  I was having major lag in Ul'dah, logged off, and now I can't get back in.  Ah well, at least I made it to an inn!

nope, there's a huge thread on the Tech Support forums about it.

:(

I'm stuck playing WoW waiting for them to fix it.  :(