General Lore Questions

Goodfellow

The question might be... what is the source of all that corrupted aether? I would be tempted to say, it's from Bahamut itself... but... somehow I'm not especially satisfied with that answer.

It might have something to do with that technology in Azys Lla that can create matter from nothing. I can imagine that in a system where all life and matter is born from a self-sustaining cycle of aether, introducing artificial matter would have some bad side effects.

I rewatched the final curtain video for the closing of 1.0 and it seems to me that all that crystalized, corrupted aether is probably the result of the conflagration between the final spell used by Louisoix and the unleashing of Bahamut energies. We see clearly that when both meet, the meteor stops just before reaching the ground, and long coils of magick soon turn into crystal (which are still here today, pointing to the sky).

I'm in search of detailed lore on what the pieces of Balmung do to the land around where they are found (specifically very large chunks). I went with this as a huge part of my miqo'te and her clan's story based entirely off watching the intro movie and wondering what happens to the land where the debris falls. Luckily (and ironically) for me, it seems much of the main story for a Gridania start-up... is my characters backstory minus a few details. O.o

So anyroad, explain away in detail for a lore newb (spoilers okay).

Do you mean, Dalamud the moon, the loyal hound of Memphina?

Then you just have to wander around a lot of areas (Thanalan Burning Rocks, La Noscea East near Castrum Marineris and especially the North Shroud). The scars of the fall of Dalamud are clearly visible. Huge and tall crystalized parts of corrupted aether spring out of the land everywhere a massive chunk of it fell.

Gridania is said to have been the most impacted by the fall and the Elementals are extremely weakened from this as a result. The land is slowly healing, but there is a resurgence of all kind of tainted shit running around, twisted by all those corrupted aether seeping into the land (Fukushima style).

If you go watch a bit about the Binding Coil of Bahamut raid series, you can see the pieces of the moon are still more or less intact and functional and run deeeeeep into the ground (more than thousand malms under). And somehow seem to have some kind of self sustaining/self repairing nano machinery that slowly pieces everything back together pretty organically. You can go from La Noscea to Northern Thanalan through there, as seen at the end of BCoB T5.

The question might be... what is the source of all that corrupted aether? I would be tempted to say, it's from Bahamut itself... but... somehow I'm not especially satisfied with that answer.

Yes, I meant Dalamud. I should'nt be writing forum posts so late after bedtime! :blush:

RE death:

tumblr_od2ngpFLw81v3oxlpo1_1280.png

tumblr_od2ngpFLw81v3oxlpo2_1280.png

tumblr_od2ngpFLw81v3oxlpo3_1280.png

Truthfully, there is no "afterlife". Once a soul's aether has returned to the Aetherial Realm via the lifestream, that's it for that individual. Their aether will be recycled eventually, but they won't be the same person.

I believe aether exits Eorzea for the Aetherial Realm via a breach located in Silvertear Lake in Mor Dhona.

Regarding some types of "rebirth" shown in the MSQ:

tumblr_od2ngpFLw81v3oxlpo8_1280.png

tumblr_od2ngpFLw81v3oxlpo6_1280.png

tumblr_od2ngpFLw81v3oxlpo7_1280.png

tumblr_od2ngpFLw81v3oxlpo4_1280.png

tumblr_od2ngpFLw81v3oxlpo5_1280.png

tumblr_od2ngpFLw81v3oxlpo9_1280.png

tumblr_od2ngpFLw81v3oxlpo10_1280.png

Additionally:

- Undead exist. They're created either by some manner of preventing the soul from exiting Eorzea to begin with, or by animating the corpse without the presence of its original inhabitant. (Want to bring your dead lover back from the afterlife? Do you want Voidsent? Because this is how you get Voidsent.)

- Religious beliefs about an Afterlife do exist. You hear NPCs talking about the dead "feasting in Thal's realm now", and about how Halone takes the souls of the righteous unto her bosom.

I'm sure there's more stuff I'm forgetting but it's about 9am and I haven't slept so :'3

Thank you for the answers!

I've moved into a totally different subject in trying to read up on Raen and Doma... and finding very little out there. My primary question at the moment is wondering if Doma truly is similar to edo era Japan as has been suggested, how are women treated? Would it be like the rest of the FFXIV setting where they are allowed the same rights to own a business and prosper without the need of a male leader in the family? Or would it be more restricted such as it was for that period and region?

I've moved into a totally different subject in trying to read up on Raen and Doma... and finding very little out there. My primary question at the moment is wondering if Doma truly is similar to edo era Japan as has been suggested, how are women treated? Would it be like the rest of the FFXIV setting where they are allowed the same rights to own a business and prosper without the need of a male leader in the family? Or would it be more restricted such as it was for that period and region?

It's hard to say, exactly, as we don't really get to see Doma first hand. However, all Doman women have so far been treated with a good deal of respect from their peers and counterparts that I can recall off hand. For instance, Yugiri is the respected leader of all the Doman refugees in Eorzea. Oboro practically throws himself at the feet of Princess Yatsurugi no Yuki. Tsubame seems to be as respected a member of the shinobi as any of the others. So, though loosely based upon Edo-era Japan, Doma seems to follow the trend of the Eorzean city-states where women are thought of and treated as equals.

More collected lore on the Raen Au Ra and Doma can be found in the following links. Hope this helps! ^^

-Race Lore Masterpost

-Raen & Doma Lore

-Au Ra Naming Conventions & Raen Lore

How does death and the afterlife work for Eorzeans?

Kilieit covered it mostly, but wanted to throw a couple of additional links at you:

-Aether & Lifestream Lore

-Lore on Death

-Necromancy, Undead, and Void Possession Lore

-Order of Nald'thal Lore

-Eorzean Religious Beliefs Lore

Looking for suggestions on where you'd possibly find a elezen noble house somewhat near locations where seeker clans are known to exist. Or am I overlooking an obvious answer - Ul'dah? >_>

Well, when you say noble house, that is based upon where you're wanting Elezen nobility to exist and to which standards of nobility. Most often, you'd associate a true Elezen noble house with Ishgard. So you'd be looking for Miqo'te populations near Coerthas. Though, if you're wanting an Elezen noble house in Ul'dah, you'd have to appeal to Ul'dah's standards of nobility, which are a bit different than Ishgard's.

Here's a thread on Eorzean Nobility that clarifies this more.

Both Elezen and Seeker Miqo'te can be found anywhere in Eorzea, so it's really all about where you want to set this character or story and how nobility will play into it. Here's a(n outdated) thread on Miqo'te Seeker distribution and populations shown in game. Note, it's from 2.2 or 2.3 so obviously more Miqo'te have been added since.

-Seeker Population Distribution

Or, you could use this map as reference that I marked up for an older thread. Red shaded areas indicate in-game Miqo'te populations as of ARR, since some people aren't fond of using 1.0 as a reference wherein Miqo'te could also be found in Coerthas.

kVK62B7.png

Hope this helps! ^^

What is in Pagith'an? East of Uld'ah?

Paglth'an is the Amalj'aa homeland. We know only that it's accessible via southern Thanalan and that it is little else but arid grasslands that border Thanalan, the Bay of Dha'yuz, and the south Shroud. Little else is known about the place. You are briefly taken to Paglth'an's border in the 1.0 MSQ where you witness the summoning of Ifrit.

We, the Amalj'aa, were once simple nomads who roamed the vast plains of Paglth'an. If any sought to impede our path, we relished the challenge to our skill at arms. For as long as our people have existed, it has been the tradition of aging warriors to make the pilgrimage to the holy land of Zanr'ak, and there confront the specter of death. It is an honor to cast one's time-tempered soul into the sacred flames, and return one's body to ash.

But these craven whelps of Zahar'ak quaver before death's inevitability - they seek not to fortify their spirits, instead groveling before a deity for the strength they do not deserve.

Zahar'ak

Loosely translated as "land of perseverance," Zahar'ak is a forward stronghold for the Amalj'aa host based in Zanr'ak. The beast tribe believes the scorched plains of Thanalan to be hallowed ground blessed by the cleansing flames of their primal deity, Ifrit, and as such are intent on driving from the land all whom they deem invaders.

A brightly colored fish native to the warm waters in and around the Amalj'aa territory of Paglth'an. The fact that the wavekin has been spotted in locations distant from their stronghold has led Ul'dahn officials to worry that the beast tribe may be seeding other rivers and lakes with the fish in preparation for the Amalj'aa's advancement into those lands.

I have learned from the Ashcrown Consortium linkpearl that the sylphs have sighted one of the Paragons making his way towards the Amalj'aa stronghold in Paglth'an. If fortune smiles upon us' date=' perhaps we can find this traveler and enlist his aid. Make your preparations and meet me in southern Thanalan, at the gates of Paglth'an. We shall deliver our entreaties together.[/quote']

You went to Paglth'an!? Have you taken leave of all your senses!? You could have been killed! Then again' date=' your bravery will more than likely earn you the praises of the smallfolk. There is no love for the Amalj'aa here in the sultanate.[/quote']

You say you saw others who were captured by the Amalj'aa? Were there any who looked like me? You see' date=' I am searching for my sister. She was traveling through southern Thanalan when her chocobo coach was attacked by beastmen raiders. They never found any bodies, so I still hope that she may simply be in a cell somewhere in Paglth'an. Yet I worry for her safety. Please tell me you saw her![/quote']

The type of Astrologian that you play in-game is a Sharlayan discipline.

(There exists a job in Ishgard which is titled "Astrologian" as well, but it involves far less casting of spells and far more looking at books to figure out when dragons are going to attack.)

I can also think off the top of my head of a number of artefacts and objects in the MSQ, created by Sharlayans, that do pretty unique things with the aether. (Not being more specific because spoilers.) The nation is basically a plot device factory.

Do we know of any magic specifically originating from Sharlayan? With all the books they keep, I reckoned there'd be some.

Edit: I've done some quick digging but all I could find was that they turn frogs into porrogos who are basically froggified housemaids

Astrologian. Specifically, the type of Astrologian we have available to us as players. It's the Sharlayan (original) denomination. Ishgardians then took a modified form that was only used for Dragonsong War purposes.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that any of the magic being used by Matoya, Y'shtola, Krile, or any of the other Scions was also likely practiced there as well.

I think you might find a few answers here

Of course Astrology is not the only magical science used by Sharlayan. I would wager that they actually tend to integrate every kind of magic there is to learn.

But for stuff directly originating from them, yeah, astrology for sure, probably poroggos (unless it's specific to Matoya), and possibly magicked brooms (that are seen all across Eorzea).

Seeing the kind of spells Y'shtola or even Louisoix seem to cast, they seem to have access to very powerful magicks.

What was the general consensus on the after life in Eorzea again? I know there was a thread on it, but I cannot find it for the life of me.

I know the Ishgardians believe they go to the Halls of Halone, even going as far as believing it is a group of stars. I know there is the Realm of Nald'thal the Ul'dahn seem to be obsessed landing into but...

Didn't each respective God/Goddess have their own respective realm/hall/whatever their believers would join in their after life.

Of course we know they got to the lifestream, but I'm asking what the Eorzeans believed again.

What was the general consensus on the after life in Eorzea again? I know there was a thread on it, but I cannot find it for the life of me.

I know the Ishgardians believe they go to the Halls of Halone, even going as far as believing it is a group of stars. I know there is the Realm of Nald'thal the Ul'dahn seem to be obsessed landing into but...

Didn't each respective God/Goddess have their own respective realm/hall/whatever their believers would join in their after life.

Of course we know they got to the lifestream, but I'm asking what the Eorzeans believed again.

try these ones.

RE: Ul'dah and unclaimed bodies?

RE: Thaumaturgy and the Order of Nald'Thal (Lore Questions)

RE: Religious texts and their influence in Eorzea