General Lore Questions

Goodfellow

What do we know about mammets? Are they magitek? Are they living creatures? A mix between both? The MSQ showing the mammet heart seems to hint at more than just machines... Or are they just like allagan nodes in a less advanced fashion?

Mammets, or as they're more commonly referred to, Automatons are simple clockwork technology developed roughly 100 years ago in Ul'dah. While most similar to early Allagan clockwork technology and for all accounts follow similar structure, it is unknown for certain if modern automatons are based off their ancient Allagan ancestors.

What we do know is that the first modern mammet was created 100 years ago and was named Mnejing. All modern mammets are based on Mnejing's design, though many have been outfitted for a variety of purposes such as security, gladiatorial combat, advertisement, banner carriers, and more. Most clockwork or automaton minions are created using mammet technology.

While automatons are little more than gears, cogs, and bolts held together by silver connector components, which allow aether to flow throughout the mammet's body and move its extremities. What creates a unique, sentient automaton is its core or heart. While the core's exact composition is unknown, a makeshift core made from electrum, pearl, and materia is used to save Mnejing in the Goldsmith storyline. As materia is made from condensing aetherial and soul energy into a solid mass, it makes sense this could be used as a replacement core.

According to the current Goldsmith guildmaster, it takes an incredible amount of skill in goldsmithing to produce a working mammet, and that they require constant maintenance of their small parts to maintain. Of note, the Sharlayans were also accomplished doll makers, but it is yet unknown if these are also similarly constructed mammet automatons or if they're inanimate objects brought to life using golem magicks.

Summons a fully operational clockwork puppet built in a joint effort by the Alchemists' and Goldsmiths' Guilds.

The standard frill-free #001 model is not only the best-selling mammet on the market' date=' but is the blueprint on which all other clockwork servitors are based.[/quote']

Gigi ate it! Mammets can't even taste food!

Anyway...silver was historically prized for its beauty. Ancient peoples even believed it to possess magical properties. Although they did not completely understand the natural processes involved, they were in fact correct. It's difficult to explain to someone without an extensive background in the relevant fields, but let's just say that silver is really, really good at channeling aether.

For this reason, silver is the material of choice for making a mammet's precision parts. Thankfully, the component responsible for Gigi's erratic behavior is within my ability to craft. But gods forbid that his core should ever be damaged. ...Oh, the core? It's like, well...it's everything that makes Gigi himself. His memories, his personality─his soul, really.

I...I think his core might be irreparably damaged. It was made over a hundred years ago with techniques that have long since been forgotten. If it has failed' date=' then he is forever lost to us...[/quote']

The clockwork soul of a mammet.

You see' date=' he's by far the oldest mammet we have here, having been constructed by one of our former guildmasters over a century ago. In fact, I'm the nineteenth guildmaster he has assisted, according to records. But what our records didn't contain was his original name, which was so faintly inscribed upon his core that it went unnoticed until now. Gigi is Mnejing, ─the first mammet ever built, and the mammet whose design on which all others are based![/quote']

Ovjang. A mammet of some antiquity, last in possession of a wealthy collector who suffered from a particularly virulent case of buyer's remorse. He ordered the mammet disassembled and sold off for parts. However, once under the chisel, the mammet came to and attacked the smith, wounding her badly before making its escape.

Hope this helps! ^^

Ah interesting...! 

I wonder though, as it was a tad hidden behind my question I guess, if it enters the category of Magitek stuff? Or what are the boundaries of what constitutes Magitek as a definition? I tend to see it as every piece of technology that specifically make use and channels aether, but I'm not totally sure of myself here, since it would also include staffs and canes and bows and crude stuff like that...

I wonder though, as it was a tad hidden behind my question I guess, if it enters the category of Magitek stuff? Or what are the boundaries of what constitutes Magitek as a definition? I tend to see it as every piece of technology that specifically make use and channels aether, but I'm not totally sure of myself here, since it would also include staffs and canes and bows and crude stuff like that...

They are considered separate and differing technologies. Magitek, like a brand name, is Garlean mechina specifically. It was created roughly 50 years ago by reverse engineering Allagan technology and war machines. Where as Clockwork, while similar to a technology used by the ancient Allagans, was developed independently 100 years ago in Eorzea.

When you see magitek in Eorzea, it is because of the Garlond Ironworks, a group of Garlean engineers who defected from the empire 15 years ago after the Bozja Citadel massacre. These engineers brought with them Garlean technology so that they could help balance the war between Eorzea and Garlemald. Later, under the Galadion Accord, Limsa Lominsan privateers were paid to loot Garlean vessels and salvage whatever components and tech they can find to turn in to the Ironwork's workshops to reverse engineer.

More detailed lore on the Garlond Ironworks and Magitek can be found in the spoiler below:

Magitek is a form of reverse engineered Allagan technology created/discovered by Garlemald's engineers roughly 50 years ago. Created and perfected by Midas nan Garlond, Cid's father, and popularized in warfare with its neighboring nations by House Darnus and House Galvus, Garlemald saw a flourishing technological age of prosperity that galvanized its continent and later multi-continent empire that we know today.

After the fall of Ala Mhigo some 20 years ago, Garlemald found evidence of Allagan technology in the Gyr Abanian region that led to the discovery that the lesser moon Dalamud could be controlled by Allagan technologies. In their initial attempts at communicating with these ancient devices, a terrible accident occurred which wiped out a city known as the Bozja Citadel. Afterwards, Cid and a majority of his Garlean engineers defected to fled to Eorzea, bringing magitek to Eorzea. There Cid and his engineers formed the Garlond Ironworks to aide the Eorzeans in their fight against the Empire and help steal and re-manufacture Garlean machina for the Alliance. Their motto being "freedom through technology" as they do not study and manufacture any thing that can be used for tyranny's gain.

Under the banner "Freedom through Technology," this gathering of talented engineers labors to advance the realm by providing technical counsel to the Eorzean city-states. To offset the monetary strain put on the organization by such selfless acts, the Ironworks also creates masterpieces of magitek technology for sale to those with the proper wherewithal.

Cid Garlond established the Ironworks in 1562, so that magitek technology might spread throughout Eorzea, lessening the Garlean Empire's dangerous monopoly on the science. With a combination of both Garlean defectors and young Eorzean engineers in its employ, the manufacturers create everything from airships to ceruleum-driven trains. There are even

scaled models for the younglings of well-to-do houses. The company is second to none when it comes to airships, and it was but a twelvemoon after Cid's defection from the Empire that he designed a civilian model completely craftable with Eorzean resources. Since forging their partnership with Highwind Skyways, the Ironworks has produced countless airships, and is largely responsible for the current era's convenience in sky travel.

While Cid remains the president of the company in name, during his five-year absence following the Calamity, it was a woman named Jessie who saw to the everyday management of the Ironworks. It is said that she remains at the company's helm even now, as Cid's duties often lead him far afield. Jessie works mightily to support the Ironworks through her particular specialty-equipment created with the aid of magitek, and sold through an exclusive contract with Rowena's House of Splendors.

After his safe arrival in the city' date=' the engineer you rescued could not stop raving about your “selfless act of bravery in the face of extreme peril.” He has since been reunited with the remainder of the Garlond Ironworks delegation which arrived yesterday via a different route. What is the Garlond Ironworks, you ask? I am surprised you have yet to hear of them. The Garlond Ironworks comprises one of the largest collectives of scholars and engineers in the whole realm. It is they who work to uncover the secrets of the Empire's machina, and it is their findings that will help us to destroy them.[/quote']

Surely you have heard by now of the Garlond Ironworks. It is a collective formed of the realm's most talented engineers and smiths' date=' overseen by the incomparable Cid Garlond─a man of rare talent. Such devices as the airships are just the beginning of the wonders born of their forges and workshops. We have them to thank for the vast majority of the magitek at our disposal. They spearhead the technological progress of the realm, and for that, we owe their genius a great debt. But like all genius, theirs is not without a crippling flaw─they have no mind for business. The fools will not pledge themselves to a single nation, but share their knowledge and secrets freely with all. They refuse every offer we make, always citing some thrice-damned philosophy. Bloody idealists![/quote']

A contract with the Flames? Exchanging information for gil? Such treachery breaks nearly every vow we speak when we join the Ironworks.

This miracle of modern mechanics is actually a miracle of ancient Allagan mechanics reverse-engineered and then modified with advanced Garlean magitek technology.

The Allagans were remarkably skilled in the manufacture and manipulation of complex machina similar to what is seen in Garlemald today' date=' though it is believed that their knowledge was at a level far in advance of the Garleans.[/quote']

We call them tomestones - relics from the Third Astral Era. It is believed they were once used to store the knowledge of the empire that ruled during that age' date=' but time has rendered them useless - no more than novelties to collectors. You may be interested to hear that Nael van Darnus, Legatus of the VIIth Legion, hails from a family of just such antiquarians... Moreover, van Darnus's father - a decorated hero of the Empire - famously used Allagan technology to give Garlemald the upper hand in the war which ultimately earned the Empire its independence.[/quote']

The Garleans are an enigmatic race of people from a massive empire situated to the north and east of Eorzea' date=' and despite coming from a realm so large, remarkably little is known about them. As few have ever seen them without their armor, rumors about their physical makeup are many, some of the more "coloful" claims being that they implant machina in their bodies to improve agility and strength, and that they possess a third eye allowing them to see in all directions at once. Though, I would assume there is little truth to these sailor's tales.[/quote']

Hey now i'm confused. One of the citations above (Jijina, whoever that is) says that tomestones have become useless due to their age and are only collector items now.

Why is that in the 3.0 SMN quests Y'Mithra clearly says "I shall consult my tomestones" countless times?

Hey now i'm confused. One of the citations above (Jijina, whoever that is) says that tomestones have become useless due to their age and are only collector items now.

Why is that in the 3.0 SMN quests Y'Mithra clearly says "I shall consult my tomestones" countless times?

Jijina is one of Cid's Garlond Ironworks engineers. But the discrepancy goes back to deliberate misinformation from unreliable narrators. At the time, the Garlond Ironworks didn't know how to get the tomestones to work. And many of them didn't work. It's essentially like having a USB drive with no computer to plug it into.

Nael van Darnus knew how to read and use the tomestones. Y'mhitra and the Sons of Saint Coinach know how to read them now. Even the Grand Companies have data mammets used to extract data from the Allagan tomestones and monoliths on Seal Rock. But still, some tomestones are broken and are really nothing better than collectors items... or currency as far as a dealer in antiquities like Rowena are concerned.

I was wondering something about the Battle of Carteneau. IC my Ishgardian char didn't participate, but I was wondering if Ishgard sent soldiers at all or were they too busy fighting the Dravanians?

Just wondered if anyone in her family was likely to have fought or not.

There was only the three core city states as far as I recall: Ul'dah, Limsa and Gridania, leaded by their respective military leaders (Raubahn, Merlwyb and Kan-E Sena). 

The Holy See of Ishgard declined officially to join in the war against Nael Van Darnus and his meteor project 5 years ago, and so were absent from Carteneau. It was an unfortunate surprise for the rest of the Eorzean alliance since they were allied and intervened in the Autumn War before, where Ala-Migho tried to invade Gridania.

• 2 weeks later...

Any significance/lore regarding the tattoos for hyur? I've looked about but can't seem to find anything about them.

Just curious before I start tossing about some head cannon in my little circle of RP friends. :)

Beyond:

Q: Why don't male Highlanders have eyebrows?

MCKF: There is a reason. Highlanders are a very violent group of people. Their clan is always warring amongst each other and against the Midlanders as well back in their homelands. They like battle. They fight and the women fight and their children fight, because that's their culture. When you have this culture of everybody being able to fight, it's all about getting the one-up on your opponent. Everyone's good with a sword or a club or whatever, so you need something extra. Everyone expects their opponent to have eyebrows. So if someone goes into battle and your opponent doesn't have eyebrows, it psychs you out and your head gets chopped off. Different tribes have their different rituals but one of those rituals is shaving off the eyebrows to put fear into your opponent.

Q: So they do have eyebrows, they just shave them off?

MCKF: Yeah, it's not a genetic thing. They shave them off or they give themselves scars or pull out their teeth. Things like that to make them look more imposing.

We have nothing specific ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Well there's the Sharlayan/Circle of Knowing tattoo, but besides that? I don't know of anything else. I'd imagine it is just... clan specific stuff? I'm personally also waiting out to see if we can get more info on (highlander) clans and their bodymodification in a more specific fashion.

http://gamerescape.com/2015/06/02/the-lore-train-inked/

Maybe someone else has more though D:

Corrupted Aether.

What is it exactly? What association does it have with Void things? Can someone have corrupted aether inside of them? What does corrupted aether do, how does it form?

Any general knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

A few musings...

1) I'm also interested into corrupted aether. Most specifically corrupted crystals (which are concentrated aether in any case). What is that corruption? Void shenanigans? Umbral corruption (though I would not call it corruption then)? Something else? Also, they use it extensively from time to time in the MSQ.

2) I went through the Heavensward MSQ part where you go beg Cid to bring you over to the Aery to go confront Nidhogg, so he offers you to try his manacutter prototype that Biggs and Wedge designed. They say mainly that it uses corrupted (??) crystal technology to turn ambiant aether into elemental wind that go blow into the sail and bits of the thing. They also say the power output it brings is pretty shitty though, so it only flies in places where wind aspected aether is really strong (like the Aery). Does that mean they can only fly there? Or they seem to imply that it's a problem they have to fix before doing anything, so you then get to deal with things with the Sultana while they are working on it. So, the question is, they fixed that issue right? Found a way to go around? But the only thing Alphinaud says when it's ready is "engineers say manacutters are ready!"... So, I'm a bit at a loss here. Did I miss something? So yeah, I was looking for technicalities on how the things work, just to find those... plot holes.

3) Heh then, how do airship fly? Not the garlean stuff mind you. The eorzean version that is everywhere and stems from Ixali designs.

Corrupted Aether.

What is it exactly? What association does it have with Void things? Can someone have corrupted aether inside of them? What does corrupted aether do, how does it form?

1) I'm also interested into corrupted aether. Most specifically corrupted crystals (which are concentrated aether in any case). What is that corruption? Void shenanigans? Umbral corruption (though I would not call it corruption then)? Something else? Also, they use it extensively from time to time in the MSQ.

Asking the tough questions...

Corrupted Aether is caused by a sudden, severe imbalance in the aetherial properties of the crystal or aether concentration. This can occur in a few different ways:

1. A crystal formation begins leaking aether after suffering damage.
  2. A crystal formation is feasted upon by Voidsent.
  3. Aether becomes stagnant overlong and for whatever reason cannot return to the Lifestream.

Corrupted crystals are far more prevalent due to the recent destruction to the land caused by the fall of Dalamud. Severe loss of life or the death of the land, according to Erik, causes a violent separation of aether from its host. Usually, aether returns to the Lifestream and rejoins the Aetherial Plane before cycling back to the Physical Plane to become new life. However, only so much aether can make this journey at a time, a limit called the Aetherial Threshold. When this is reached, any excess aether remains behind. If a large enough concentration remains, a crystal will form.

This was seen widespread across Eorzea due to the Calamity.

When struck by a fallen shard from Dalamud's outer shell' date=' a massive amount of concentrated aether was released from just below the surface of the Rhotano Sea, immediately fusing with and crystallizing the towering fount of salt water which was expelled during the impact. City-state-funded exploratory forays into the inner crater have all yet to return...[/quote']

So what does corrupted aether do? Well, as it is corrupted, the aether can be incredibly dangerous to both environment and creatures nearby. Overlong exposure to the corruption can distort one's own aetheric balance. Corrupted crystals which are leaking aether or reacting with other nearby clusters of corruption can become highly volatile, as seen in places like Pharos Sirius and Dzemael Darkhold.

Since the Calamity' date=' there has been much imbalance in the elements. Founts of over-aspected aether erupt from the soil and manifest into corrupted crystals. These crystals, in turn, attract the most unsavory of creatures, the most common of all being elemental sprites who, upon absorbing the crystals, become corrupted themselves. The Brass Blades are seeking adventurers to comb the desert and find the crystals, slaying any corrupted sprites encountered.[/quote']

Being intangible matter' date=' aether is given to dispersion; only in its crystallized form is it a stable source of energy.[/quote']

Why would we need to tap the river when there's veritable reservoirs jutting out all over the land? Aye' date=' I speak of corrupted crystals. It might be that their aspect is out of balance, but a crystal's a crystal - it contains aether, and we can help ourselves to it.[/quote']

We speak of the manifestations of over-aspected aether that can be found throughout Eorzea. Since the Calamity disrupted the land's aetheric currents' date=' such crystals have become comparatively commonplace. ...Which has been a cause of great woe, as they are known to warp aetheric energies, including those of living organisms.[/quote']

The Calamity' date=' however, would change everything. The lighthouse was destroyed in the wake of Bahamut's onslaught, and the surrounding area's aether would soon give way to a formation of corrupted crystal. While efforts to rebuild the lighthouse were impeded by these crystals, the peoples of Limsa would soon face a threat much more sinister.[/quote']

A crystaline manifestation of aetheric energy exhibiting an extreme elemental charge.

A large crystalline manifestation of aetheric energy exhibiting an extreme elemental charge. When released' date=' the energy has been known to restore the corporeal and spiritual state of those otherwise incapacitated.[/quote']

*Appears identical to Corrupted Crystals.

But to the matter at hand─did you say you wish not to conduct field observations' date=' but to harvest a corrupted crystal? Egads, woman! At least take the necessary precautions so that you do not suffer from exposure to its harmful energies! I'm beginning to wonder if you've sufficient qualifications to handle such hazardous materials...[/quote']

One theory states that Dalamud may actually be moving towards us, thus the illusion of gradual growth. I had the good fortune to speak with Domitien, an Ishgardian scholar and proponent of the “moving moon” theory, and he was kind enough to elaborate further on the subject.

According to Domitien, the red moon's growing proximity is wreaking havoc on the natural balance of the elements. As evidence to support this claim, he points to the recent and wide-ranging discovery of crystals that either exhibit an extreme concentration of a particular elemental property, or appear to have lost any such properties altogether.

And what might the consequences of such a disruption to elemental balance entail?

Domitien hypothesizes that the disturbance could give rise to peculiarities among monstrous wildlife, as well as alter the flow of aetheric energy. This last point is especially worrisome, as the “rivers” of aether that run through the land are what make instantaneous travel between aetheryte locations possible. Should the aetheric flow become sufficiently warped, it may well prevent us from using aetherytes altogether.

This translucent crystal seems to have been completely drained of its elemental aspect.

Muaha, muahahaha! You could read all the literature in Eorzea, friend-every last treatise and tome-and still you would know nothing of deaspected crystals. Nothing! But even if books could help you, you'd have no need of them. Nooo, not a single page. Ronan Kognan knows all! For the Ashcrown Consortium is his employer, and crystals his employment, muahahaha!

Most curious… It seems the crystals share some bond with the moon Yeees, the lunar phases seem to influence the flavor - errr, the rate at which the crystals lose their aspect.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the greatest loss of flav- errr, power occurs on cloudless evenings when the moon is clearly visible. Ahhh, but I must know the truth… Bring me more! Mooore! I shall unravel this mystery! Muahahaha!

The Ashcrown Consortium has dealings with many peoples and tribes - beastmen among them. Yeees, we trade crystals with even the Amalj'aa and Ixal. That is how we came to learn that they, too, are attempting to solve the mystery of this deaspecting phenomenon. They claim this Ifrit of theirs - the flame deity conjured by their vile rituals - consumes crystals. I thought perhaps the dead ones were all that remained after the foul god's feasting - crumbs after a meal. But they told me I was wrong in this.

Hm? What will I do with them after my studies are complete, you ask? Why, I shall restore their lost power, of course! Yeees, certain corners of this realm are awash with aether. You need only bury a deaspected crystal there, and what once was dead will soon be alive again! Alive, do you hear!? Aliiive! Muahahaha! Yet many will never know such joyous rebirth. My studies take their toll on the crystals, you see. It's all the probing. Often, I am left with mere fragments. Even the tiniest of these seem to interest the moogles, though. Might you know why? They're rather odd, if you ask me.

These will prove invaluable to my studies. Invaluable! Muahahaha! Tore them from the corpse of a foul beast, did you? Many of the crystals I collect are formed faaar below the earth, where aether flows in abundance. Yeees, but aether flows through living things, as well.

And so it is with us, muahahaha! Even now, as we speak, that strapping adventurer's body of yours is coursing with the stuff! Yeees, you too have an aspect! Perhaps there is even a colorless, deaspected Lalafell running about somewhere in Eorzea…

No doubt about it, the aspects of these crystals have been utterly obliterated. Muahahaha!

I've seen blindingly brilliant crystals, darkened dead crystals, and crystals with only a hint of their aspect still glimmering within. That is how I know these deadened crystals were not always so, but once shone as magnificently as any. But why has their light gone out? Why? If only we had the knowledge of the crystals of Sharlayan… Though, I have heard the Archons have left there and come to Eorzea. They are pious souls who devote themselves to studying the prophesies of the Divine Chronicles. Perhaps they could shed some light on these mysteries.

Yeees, my precious little beauties are hard to come by of late. Every clan and creed south of the Bloodbrine is after them, each for their own ends. You see, the fate of Eorzea is tied to the crystals, my friend. So bring me any deaspected crystals you come across, adventurer. I shall cut them to pieces and grind them to powder, muaha! Touch them, smell them, taste them, muahahaha! I shall do whatever I must and more to discover the cause of their death! Muahahaha!

2) I went through the Heavensward MSQ part where you go beg Cid to bring you over to the Aery to go confront Nidhogg, so he offers you to try his manacutter prototype that Biggs and Wedge designed. They say mainly that it uses corrupted (??) crystal technology to turn ambiant aether into elemental wind that go blow into the sail and bits of the thing. They also say the power output it brings is pretty shitty though, so it only flies in places where wind aspected aether is really strong (like the Aery). Does that mean they can only fly there? Or they seem to imply that it's a problem they have to fix before doing anything, so you then get to deal with things with the Sultana while they are working on it. So, the question is, they fixed that issue right? Found a way to go around?

Okay, here's the lore behind how Manacutter functions:

Impressive little thing' date=' isn't she? My talent for ship design has plainly rubbed off on them. They've adapted the principles of corrupted crystal technology, and constructed a mechanism which converts aether from its surroundings into elemental wind. Said wind is then harnessed by the specially engineered sails, providing the craft with propulsion and lift. All in all, a most elegant solution...[/quote']

Remember the aforementioned "corrupted crystal technology" is part of the storyline where you outfit Cid's Enterprise with corrupted Ice crystals to distort Garuda's control of her storm so you could fight her. Because corrupted crystals "warp aetheric energies" the manacutter's engine is taking in an abundance of an element and using the energy to sustain propulsion/flight.

The design does' date=' however, come with one small flaw...[/quote']

The energy conversion ratio's bloody awful. To generate enough power to get you off the ground' date=' you need to be in an area awash with predominantly wind-aspected aether.[/quote']

In other words' date=' there are a few places you can fly...and lots of places you can't.[/quote']

This is the limitation of the manacutters, and it's something that they did not fix, hence why you can't fly your manacutter in the old ARR zones. The problem is that they have to fix the manacutters to handle the extreme winds of the Aery. The manacutters can fly, just not into the Aery safely. The Garlond engineers set out to fix this problem while you're away doing other things.

Leave the manacutter with us. We'll see that she's airworthy and suitably equipped to slice through those winds.

We've been working on a second vessel while we perfected the prototype. Don't worry─they'll both be able to handle the winds you're expecting.

The finer adjustments cost us a few sleepless nights' date=' but we got there in the end![/quote']

Which means you can get where you need to go. I tell you' date=' these little beauties'll tear through that wind barrier like a cermet drill through cottage cheese.[/quote']

But unfortunately no, manacutters still cannot fly in areas without thick wind-aspect density. The conversion rate on their engine is still bloody awful.

Supervised (in spirit) by the ever-absent Cid' date=' Biggs and Wedge (with a little bending over by Biggs) put their heads together to create this flight-ready miniature airship, powered by the realm's first corrupted crystal engine.[/quote']

3) Heh then, how do airship fly? Not the garlean stuff mind you. The eorzean version that is everywhere and stems from Ixali designs.

Ceruleum still! Almost all modern airships are based off Garlean magitek technology brought to Eorzea by Cid Garlond and his team of Garlond Ironworks Engineers. Though you are correct that the original Highwind Skyways design was based off the Ixali dirigibles, most of Tatanora's original airship designs never took flight or were so costly that they were neither a practical nor affordable means of transportation.

Airships are miracles of the Eorzean skyscape—flying vessels born from the ingenuity and ambition behind the Garlean Empire's most advanced technologies. The airships of the realm's free nations most commonly achieve flight by either one of two means—large balloons of hide and cloth filled with gases less dense than the surrounding air' date=' or wings of magitek making, made to beat by powerful ceruleum-burning engines.[/b'] Despite whatever technological simliarities they may share, however, the realm's vessels are easily distinguishable on sight from the enormous and sinister juggernauts of Garlemald—armored monstrosities designed for the sole purpose of destruction.

Airship-grade refined ceruleum. Required to fuel vessels traveling to the Sea of Clouds on exploratory voyages.

A simple yet highly durable sheet of thick canvas designed to serve both as a receptacle for lighter-than-air ceruleum gas' date=' as well as a sail to assist propulsion.[/quote']

The unique shape of this ceruleum gas bladder directs the flow of air around it' date=' reducing wind resistance.[/quote']

Airship lift is achieved by the rapid spinning of ceruleum-powered propellers mounted atop masts placed around the fore and aft decks.

Taking inspiration from the aether-manipulating flying fish found in the Sea of Clouds' date=' these radical new propellers have been treated with wind-aspected crystals, allowing for increased lift.[/quote']

A component to be used in finishing the Dezul Qualan's main ceruleum propulsion engine.

A component to be used in creating the Dezul Qualan's main ceruleum fuel tank.

Ceruleum Pipeline

Even before airships and engines were commonplace in Eorzea, Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern recognized the potential value of ceruleum and laid claim to nearly all of the untapped deposits in northern Thanalan. In an ironic twist, for many years before the Garlean invasion, the Concern's biggest customer was, in fact, the imperial army.

So, a little more on Ceruleum. It is made from refined aether. While the specific process is unknown, what we do know is that refineries artificially deaspect aether crystals and use the liquid residual as fuel. This process off-gasses a blue fog-like vapor, hence the Bluefog area surrounding the refinery.

Ceruleum is most commonly found on Ilsabard, the northern continent, but a small incredibly fertile patch of natural ceruleum exists in the mountains of northern Thanalan. However, it is controlled by Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern, and the tariffs they inflict to export the product are ridiculous.

Though most commonly used in airship engines, it does have other applications across Eorzea, from the Maelstrom flagship's engine, to Ul'dah's lighting its streetlamps, to Ishgard's ballistas, to the occasional overzealous lighting of the Stone Sentinels in Gridania.

Ceruleum? Yes' date=' I've heard of it. Some sort of oil, if I recall. Mined in the mountains north of Uld'ah. Brother Telent of the conjurers says no elementals reside in the stuff. They now think it is most likely produced from the remains of ancient life, long dead.[/quote']

In Nenekko's latest letter' date=' she wrote about the brilliant light ceruleum is capable of producing. It illuminates their entire city, she says. Most Ul'dahns scarcely notice the passing of night and day. The singers sing and the dancers dance with no end.[/quote']

To maintain our land and sea supremacy, we must constantly strive to strengthen our hold on that which we have, while seeking better ways to grasp that which we do not. That is why the Coral Tower has begun working in conjunction with both Naldiq & Vymelli's and the Garlond Ironworks to construct a new fleet of battleships.

These battleships will be unlike aught ever to have sailed the five seas, for they will be powered by neither wind nor steam, but ceruleum-fueled magitek. That is right, my friend. What better way to match the might of the Garlean Empire than with the selfsame power they employ in their own weapons? Unfortunately, the Garleans are not in the habit of divulging their secrets to the first person who asks nicely, which is why we must use…other means to obtain them.

As you know, a team of engineers from the Garlond Ironworks has been hired by the thalassocracy to assist in the design and construction of a flagship for the armada. Once the vessel is complete, it will require massive quantities of an element known as ceruleum to power its engines - which is problematic, since the element in question is not readily to be found on Vylbrand. In fact, it is not readily found anywhere in Eorzea. Anywhere, that is, except for a small swath of mountainous land located in northern Thanalan.

But as with anything of any value in and around Ul'dah, the procurement and sale of ceruleum is controlled by the covetous wretches who style themselves rulers of the region. Indeed, it is those selfsame swinish syndicateers who have recently impose a three hundred percent tariff on all ceruleum exports to Limsa Lominsa. The timing of this decree, of course, is rather too perfect. We can only assume that someone within the Maelstrom discovered the plans of our flagship to the Immortal Flames, and that the Syndicate moved swiftly to maximize its profit.

Ceruleum is a highly unstable soruce of energy. One spark from a pair of crossed blades…one ember from an errant Fire spell would be all that was required for ignition. And the resultant conflagration would initiate a chain reaction that would swiftly spread throughout the mountain and…well' date=' I imagine you can piece together the rest.[/quote']

Ceruleum burns like an alewife in winter' date=' and there's no going without it to make the firesand for the ballistas. Curse that Syntgoht... What does he think we're fighting here, ladybugs?[/quote']

East Watchtower

To power their legions of war machina, the Garleans require a steady supply of the aether-based fuel known as ceruleum. Bluefog housing the largest deposit in Eorzea, the Empire has begun their own mining operation but a stone's throw from the allied refineries, heightening tensions in the area and prompting the construction of two watchtowers.

Bluefog

Though abundant on the northern continent of Ilsabard, only a handful of ceruleum deposits have ever been discovered on Aldenard, the largest being buried under the Sea of Spires in northern Thanalan. Ceruleum is a highly unstable substance and will begin to evaporate when in contact with air, resulting in the bluish haze from which this area earns its name.

Angry about the ceruleum order being late, is he? Friend─pardon me, ─I understand his situation, I really do, and I would ship the stuff to him if I had any! The fact is, it's been a mighty struggle for many moons to procure processed ceruleum from Amajina & Sons, and now they've entirely ceased doing business with most vendors.

It's a hard life being the middleman, my dear lady. We pay for the sins of producers like Amajina and what do we get from them in turn? Not so much as a how-do-you-do. Edwyn's quarrel is with them, not me. Tsk, do you not know? The Concern has the exclusive right to mine ceruleum in northern Thanalan. They can do whatever they want. You can always try them directly. Go talk to Papawazu at Camp Bluefog─though I warn you, he's a smug little toad!

Airships are miracles of the Eorzean skyscape—flying vessels born from the ingenuity and ambition behind the Garlean Empire's most advanced technologies. The airships of the realm's free nations most commonly achieve flight by either one of two means—large balloons of hide and cloth filled with gases less dense than the surrounding air, or wings of magitek making, made to beat by powerful ceruleum-burning engines. Despite whatever technological simliarities they may share, however, the realm's vessels are easily distinguishable on sight from the enormous and sinister juggernauts of Garlemald—armored monstrosities designed for the sole purpose of destruction.

By pioneering the sky routes between the realm's major cities and establishing regular flights along them, Highwind Skyways, an institution founded by the exorbitantly wealthy aristocrat and adventurer Tatanora, is now slowly but surely making commercial flight an ordinary aspect of everyday life in Eorzea. Even so, only a few airships are permitted to take flight at any given time, for the Garlean Empire is always watching, ready to strike at the first sight of an enemy vessel.

It must be nigh on fifty years ago now that I began my apprenticeship with Tatanora, a famous adventurer and businessman. I still recall the day he conceived his revolutionary enterprise: he proposed the idea of building passenger balloons that shared the principle─if not the purpose─of Ixali dirigibles. His company was the very first air travel service in the realm, and marked the birth of Highwind Skyways. Of course, it was not until around thirty years later, when Cid Garlond brought airship technology to Eorzea, that flights between cities became a regular occurrence.

Those were the days, though... If I close my eyes I can still see the workshop─can still hear our excited optimism as Tatanora and I worked tirelessly on the construction of that first balloon... Ahem. Pray excuse an old man his reminiscing. What were we speaking of? Ah yes, “lathes.” I believe the lathe Master Tataramu refers to was the one we used in the old Fallgourd workshop. ...But I'm afraid the place was shut down and dismantled for lumber after Tatabaru assumed management of the company. It was the end of an era, after all.

“Spread your wings and soar”... That is the Skyways slogan. When I first heard Tatanora utter that phrase' date=' I knew at that moment what my life's work would be.[/quote']

By pioneering the sky routes between the realm's major cities and establishing regular flights along them, Highwind Skyways, an institution founded by the exorbitantly wealthy aristocrat and adventurer Tatanora, is now slowly but surely making commercial flight an ordinary aspect of everyday life in Eorzea.

"For my dear friend' date=' Dezul Qualan. On these wings I pledge our everlasting bond. -Tatanora"[/i']

“Tatanora” is my grandsire. He is the man who founded Highwind Skyways, forty-six years ago. And I'm fairly certain we've all heard that second name before... ...Then it was true. I speak of an old rumor. 'Twas said that Grandfather's company was built on his “appropriation” of beastman aeronautics─that all the balloons he flew were naught more than base imitations of Ixali-made vessels. 'Tis a rumor that was officially denied. And any mention has been thoroughly expunged from written records on the assertion that even unfounded claims of stolen beastman technology would unduly harm Highwind Skyways' reputation. I had thought it merely the rumblings of rivals, sick with envy at Grandfather's success.

What is it you wish to do' date=' boy? If you want to tinker with airships, the company has them in abundance. I'll have Colson arrange for one of those new Garlond Ironworks models to be docked in a spare hangar...[/quote']

'Twas a shaky start' date=' but the Dezul Qualan and I both returned unharmed! And we reached our target altitude of five thousand yalms─that's higher than any Eorzean airship has ever flown! A new aeronautic record! ...Unofficial, though it may be.[/quote']

South Shroud Landing

Constructed by Highwind Skyways to serve as a landing for cargo airships, this location quickly abandoned when the imperial presence in the area became too large to ignore. Now the site is used as a makeshift market where bandits and poachers peddle their ill-gotten wares far from the eyes of the law.

'Tis the “Witch's Shroud”... Godsdammit' date=' why now!? The sudden difference in aetherial density above the crown of the trees can produce turbulent air currents─a rare phenomenon peculiar to the Black Shroud and the bane of even the most seasoned airship pilot![/quote']

Goes without saying the bloody desert ain't got the resources of the other nations. But the merchants here got minds sharp as swords. And Ul'dahns are nothing if not perseverant. Still' date=' this place is a pale shadow of what it once was. Merchants and travelers used to come from all over Hydaelyn till the Garleans blocked the trade routes.[/quote']

An Ul'dahn airship was shot down by a Garlean battle cruiser to the southwest of here. We've bolstered the watch here at Camp Black Brush.

Despite the effort put into meticulously scheduling scores of flights throughout the realm' date=' the sad truth is that each and every airship will more than likely both arrive and depart late.[/quote']

Are you aware of the airship landing to the northwest' date=' betwixt the rivers Coerthas and Swiftrun? It is a favorite target of the dragons who fly out of Dravania which use the landing, but to little avail. As a result, fewer and fewer pilots are willing to risk the trip, preferring only to stop short in Millers' Glade before continuing west on to Gridania.[/quote']

Shortly after departing Millers' Glade in the Coerthas eastern lowlands' date=' an airship carrying supplies to Gridania was attacked by a pair of dragons. Knowing that they did not have the firepower to dispatch the creatures, the pilot chose instead to outrun them. To do so, however, he gave the order to jettison several items in his cargo hold in order to lighten the airship, thus increasing its speed. Cheers of joy filled the vessel when it arrived safely in the Black Shroud, but when the pilot realized which cargo was abandoned, those cheers soon turned to shouts of anger, for the crates that were lost were owned by one of the wealthiest noble families in Ishgard. The Horn and Hand has determined this a most opportune chance to improve our faction's standing in the mountain city-state, and so we seek volunteers to travel to the wreckage and assist in recovering the crates before bandits come across the items and claim them for themselves.[/quote']

Hail there, adventurer. The name's Ironheart, Nedrick Ironheart. Far be it from me to brag, but the blood of explorers courses through my veins. Take that map of Eorzea you carry around, for instance. That, my friend, is based on a draft penned by my own grandpapa. His legacy was handed down to my father, and now it passed to me. Casting light upon the great unknown - such is the mission of we who bear the proud Ironheart name. Sounds rather romantic, does it not?

Aye, well, it is - save where coin is concerned. The hard reality is that exploring incurs a list of expenses as long as my arm. Supplies, materials, assistants, miscellaneous entertainment - everywhere I look, there's a canyon, crevasse or chasm ready to swallow up my coin.

In order to finance my work, I'e offered my services to Highwind Skyways. My task? Maintaining the precision of maps used in airship routes.

I should probably mention at this point that topography has a considerable influence on wind currents, with obvious safety implications. And contrary to common belief, the lay of the land is far from being a static thing. The earth shifts. Man erects structures. Every change must be noted, no matter how minute, lest incorrectly recorded landmarks send the airships astray.

As a hub for travelers' date=' the airship landing is perpetually abuzz with the lastest tidings from across Eorzea. For that reason, it's considered a veritable wellspring by those who trade in information.[/quote']

We adventurers wouldn't get very far without airships and chocobos' date=' but the costs empty one's coinpurse faster than a sailor empties his tankard. Truth be told, there're times when I wonder whether I'm paying for airship flights to go adventuring, or going adventuring to pay for airship flights. [/quote']

Welcome to the airship landing, sir. At present, Highwind Skyways is offering flights between Ul'dah, Limsa Lominsa, and our own Gridania. For a time, we were permitted only to fly under unavoidable circumstances. But surveillance of the skies has improved since the reformation of the Grand Companies, and has allowed us to resume passenger flights.

Our vessels are the proud products of the Garlond Ironworks - second to none in both safety and speed. I'm sorry. I must be boring you. Come, do you have a ticket? Passage for one to Limsa Lominsa. Your airship will be arriving shortly. It may not be my place to say, but I am told that Limsa Lominsa can be quite an…inhospitable place. Do take care, sir.

Gone are the days when airship travel was available to all. The ever-present threat of imperial attack has forced us to impose drastic restrictions out of concern for public safety. These passes are only granted when circumstance demands it - as in this case.

Now' date=' I daresay Raubahn told you this, but not many people get to go on airships, these days. In fact, most folk go to their graves havin' never once seen Eorzea from above...[/quote']

Airships once connected Eorzea with the other continents' date=' but the Garlean invasion put an end to that. All flying vessels became targets for imperial aggression, and there was no recourse but to suspend all transconcinental routes until such a time as safety could be guaranteed. If the Grand Companies could ensure the safety of our essels, mayhaps services to distant shores would resume. I fear that happy day is some way off, however.[/quote']

Being a nation of mariners' date=' most Lominsans would sooner ride a ferry and feel the spray of the sea on their faces than take to the skies. With you adventurers, though, it's whatever gets you to your destination the fastest.[/quote']

My charge is to ensure that no ill-intentioned individuals slip on board. The last thing we want is for an airship to be seized by pirates. It's yet to happen' date=' but I wouldn't put it past those covetous scoundrels to try. To them, I expect an airship seems like a lavish prize - but in their untutored hands, such a vessel would be more like to bear them to their swift and fiery doom than the skies.[/quote']

Been a fisherwoman half me life' date=' I have. Ridden the worst o' the Indigo Deep's furies in that time, an' all. But nawt could've prepared me fer that infernal 'turbulence o' the airs'. An' it's so bloody cold up there! One bloke told me he damn near froze his knackers off on the flight from Ul'dah. Makes me glad I don't have a pair![/quote']

The Holy See has petitioned the Ironworks for assistance with this creation of theirs' date=' the Protector. Apparently, they just can't seem to get her flying. Anyway, I came to Camp Cloudtop to cast an eye over the ship, only to learn that you had arrived some few days before with an Ishgardian lordling in tow.[/quote']

Camp Cloudtop

An outpost manned by the Rose Knights of House Haillenarte, who stand watch against Dravanian incursions from atop the floating islets in the sky. Boasts the Protector, a mighty airship that would avail the Ishgardians greatly in their battle against the Horde were it ever repaired to full strength.

The Skysteel Manufactory. This workshop is primarily devoted to the construction of dragon-slaying weapons. The Ishgardians have granted us the use of a small corner of their workshop─all part of the agreement. I think you'll see we've made the most of the space... We call it a “manacutter”!

Impressive little thing, isn't she? My talent for ship design has plainly rubbed off on them. They've adapted the principles of corrupted crystal technology, and constructed a mechanism which converts aether from its surroundings into elemental wind. Said wind is then harnessed by the specially engineered sails, providing the craft with propulsion and lift. All in all, a most elegant solution...

...I'm actually a little upset that I didn't think of it myself.

Speaking of which - on the back of the field test's success' date=' we've gone ahead and licensed the design for mass production. Soon, the Skysteel Manufactory will be churning out manacutters by the dozen![/quote']

Apparently' date=' adventurers have been queueing up to place an order - and even some sky pirates! Ah, just imagining the Sea of Clouds teeming with our creations fills me with a father's pride![/quote']

Supervised (in spirit) by the ever-absent Cid' date=' Biggs and Wedge (with a little bending over by Biggs) put their heads together to create this flight-ready miniature airship, powered by the realm's first corrupted crystal engine.[/quote']

Despite it being the first' date=' and most ambitious undertaking by Highwind Skyways founder Tatanora, the Invincible actually never took flight, its ten-year construction period plagued by accidents, material shortages, sabotage, and outright incompetence.[/quote']

Taking inspiration from the half-remembered dream of his grandfather Tatanora' date=' Tatamaru used his encyclopedic knowledge to design a small-scale version of a rotary-winged airship. Its name derives from an airship that appears in an obscure novel of unknown origins.[/quote']

The original Enterprise was designed and built while Garlond family prodigy Cid was still working as a military engineer for the Garlean Empire. The aft crane' date=' intended for the loading of imperial weaponry, was added to the airship in the days before Cid's defection.[/quote']

Named after the "father" of propeller-powered airships' date=' the design used in this hull is certain to invoke a sense of inspiring nostalgia.[/quote']

A simple yet highly durable sheet of thick canvas designed to serve both as a receptacle for lighter-than-air ceruleum gas' date=' as well as a sail to assist propulsion.[/quote']

The unique shape of this ceruleum gas bladder directs the flow of air around it' date=' reducing wind resistance.[/quote']

Airship lift is achieved by the rapid spinning of ceruleum-powered propellers mounted atop masts placed around the fore and aft decks.

Taking inspiration from the aether-manipulating flying fish found in the Sea of Clouds' date=' these radical new propellers have been treated with wind-aspected crystals, allowing for increased lift.[/quote']

In short, Eorzean airship technology is less than 50 years old and was invented by "borrowing" Ixali engineering. Because airships are so costly to make and construction time is so long, very few models exist and most are used for cargo/military operations. Only recently (within the last 10-15 years) have they been used for civilian transportation.

Hope this helps! ^^

Oh right, Cerruleum... I'm le stupid.

Which brings me to the question: why not using cerruleum and attaching Magitek wings for those manacutters then? Hard to replicate on small ships? Maybe the same process that saw the design of bigger airships, that weren't initially propelled by cerruleum power?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh right, Cerruleum... I'm le stupid.

Which brings me to the question: why not using cerruleum and attaching Magitek wings for those manacutters then? Hard to replicate on small ships? Maybe the same process that saw the design of bigger airships, that weren't initially propelled by cerruleum power?

Likely that a ceruleum engine is much too large/heavy for a small manacutter to support, or that it would exhaust fuel too quickly to go very far? I don't know for certain, but if you go to the Market Board and look up the Airship Components tab under Items, you can read through the descriptions of all the airship parts and they provide some interesting lore. Like how a new type of airship, called the Viltgance is applying manacutter aether technology to larger airship builds. Unfortunately, if you look at its stats, it greatly reduces the airship's overall range.

The wings of a Viltgance-type airship' date=' which adopt the same technology as Garlond Ironworks' Manacutters in treating the wings with wind-aspected aether for buoyancy.[/quote']

And the Odyssey also has an experimental aetherial propulsion engine, however, on the larger airship, it seems to greatly reduce its speed.

The rear half of an Odyssey-type airship' date=' including the poop deck, tiller, rudder, and an experimental aetherial propulsion engine.[/quote']

So there is a mix and match of technologies that is happening when creating new airships. Maybe someone will invent a ceruluem propulsion engine small enough for manacutters, allowing them to fly in less aetherially dense airspaces. However, that doesn't seem to be possible yet.

Perhaps that is something for your character to be ICly working towards?

Yeah perhaps but it pisses me a little got to admit, just having to even consider to lore bend it... Because it's super special snowflaky, unless it's just... Working toward it as you say... I don't know what to do and I guess I'll have to think about it...

Maybe attaching small cerruleum tanks that barely alliws any range...? Still requires the technology though... How about harvesting garlean tech on the airships that crashed around the Agrius?

I'm not comfortable with those solutions...

What is a wind aspected aether dense space to begin with? I mean, where do we find those? Everywhere as long as it's in the sky? Could manacutters work everywhere as long as you drop them high enough in the sky?

What is a wind aspected aether dense space to begin with? I mean, where do we find those? Everywhere as long as it's in the sky? Could manacutters work everywhere as long as you drop them high enough in the sky?

In other words' date=' there are a few places you can fly...and lots of places you can't.[/quote']

Based on Wedge's earlier statement on the manacutter, we're looking for areas that are specifically awash with wind-rich aether. Meaning... unfortunately you're looking for floating islands. Specifically, the manacutter may be limited to the Sea of Clouds and areas immediately surrounding, which include Coerthas and Dravania. So basically, the places you can actually fly a manacutter. Though, you may also be able to fly them as far as Nym or upper Vylbrand...

The Floating City of Nym

Suspended high above the foothills of Mt. O'Ghomoro is the Floating City of Nym - central hub of a lost civilization which prospered on Vylbrand during the Fifth Astral Era. The accepted theory was to how the city was torn from the realm involves the over-aspecting of corrupted wind crystals - a phenomenon witnessed late in the Sixth Astral Era.

Which would explain how in 3.3 the Talons and Redbills are able to reach Yafaem on airship. Though, to be fair, Yafaem sits upon the southern Coerthan lowlands. In 1.0, this southern portion was available for travel and consisted of lakes and farmland and the zoneline into Mor Dhona. To the east, roughly, would be Yafaem. So, either this stretch of wind-over-aspected aether stretches from the Sea of Clouds southeast to Vylbrand, or Yafaem is close enough that the residual wind aether is fit for manacutters.

OR, lore was forgotten. Who knows. This would be a question best posed to Fernehalwes.

Anyways, here's a couple more things.

A glass case containing a wind-aspected needle balanced on a pin. Nearby aether currents exert torque on the pin' date=' "pulling" it in their direction.[/quote']

Nestled in the mountains of Abalathia sits the Sea of Clouds. The water and wind-aspected energies of the surrounding area create a perpetual mist reminiscent of clouds' date=' thus making the location true to its name. These same energies can be attributed to floating islands within its mist-shrouded borders. The unique climate conditions of these islands have given rise to heretofore unseen animal life. And with the advent of airship technology, Ishgard has slowly expanded into this brave new frontier.[/quote']

Also, unsure of the "dropping airships at high altitude" thing would work. So far, the record for max airship height is roughly three malms up. Assuming you got an airship carrier that high up and that the wind aetherial density was more pronounced at a higher altitude (we have no confirmation if this is the case) your manacutter would still be restricted to staying up that high to function. If it lowered too far into less aether dense or into uncharted aether currents, your manacutter would likely crash?

'Twas a shaky start' date=' but the Dezul Qualan and I both returned unharmed! And we reached our target altitude of five thousand yalms─that's higher than any Eorzean airship has ever flown! A new aeronautic record! ...Unofficial, though it may be.[/quote']

I'm not sure what more I can help with on this topic. I'd say safest bet is to have a character who is working on making this technology a possibility, as it does have backing in lore. (Viltgance-type) Unless Fernehalwes came around and said the Ironwork's new ships were able to fix their energy conversion ratio in areas less dense in aether, you might be limited to those areas with your manacutters. Unless you ICly began construction the other airship models or creating modifications to the manacutter design, like ceruleum powered magitek wings or float bladder. I don't know.

Yeah the idea about dropping manacutters from high altitude was just if we assume that dense wind aspected aether can always be found at high altitude, but that's a stretch at best. Was just an idea.

The idea was basically to attach your manacutters to your usual airship that can go everywhere, and launch them where aether is favorable enough, and get them back when it's not anymore. I like the idea as it allows the transportation of them between favorable spots (even if the high altitude idea = always favorable goes to the bin).

Thanks for the aid anyway. Some of those tidbits can at least provide lots of stuff to discuss ICly at least.

So I was going through the text of the series of recent quests for Haurchefant's mourning as well as the introductory cutscenes to the Weeping City and stumbled on those bits:

Speaking of Which - on the back of the field test's success we've gone ahead and licensed the model for mass production. Soon' date=' the Skysteel manufactory will be churning manacutters by the dozen![/quote']

Apparently' date=' adventurers have been queuing up to place an order, and even some skypirates! Ah, just imagine the sea of clouds teeming with our creations fills me with a father's pride![/quote']

It would seem that the thing will get a bit easier to get your hands on, at least. The last part seems to confirm that it's limited to the Sea of Clouds and similar areas like the Churning Mists/Aery.

Edit: it's also obvious that they go to the Weeping City through traditionnal airship, from the cutscenes.

I'm looking to make an Elezen, and thinking he'll be a Garlean spy or refugee; something like that. Because Elezen seem to be the only other race present in Garlean enemies I've seen, next to the majority being Hyur. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the Empire other than what I've seen in the story so far (and I'm far from completing it, as of now). Any info regarding Garlemald would be helpful (if there's a big lore drop or something somewhere), but my main question is: should I make him Wildwood or Duskwight?

I'm looking to make an Elezen, and thinking he'll be a Garlean spy or refugee; something like that. Because Elezen seem to be the only other race present in Garlean enemies I've seen, next to the majority being Hyur. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the Empire other than what I've seen in the story so far (and I'm far from completing it, as of now). Any info regarding Garlemald would be helpful (if there's a big lore drop or something somewhere), but my main question is: should I make him Wildwood or Duskwight?

"Pureblooded" Garleans are their own Hyur-like race, separate from Eorzean races. However:

I have a strong recollection (also see the lore dump that I link at the bottom of this post) that the Garlean Empire operates by annexing its new territories and conscripting the able-bodied to go and fight overseas from the conquered territory, preventing them from contributing to uprisings in their homeland.

(I remember because I found it amusing that infiltrating Castrum Centri was actually the least out of place that my Au Ra WoL had looked so far in the MSQ; while there had been no mass-migration of Au Ra to Eorzea yet, Doma had already been annexed by the Empire, and thusly it was already possible that Au Ra of both subclans had been conscripted.)

So in other words:

Anything you like.

Literally.

If you wanna play a Duskwight, do it; if you wanna play a Wildwood, do it.

I guess just bear in mind that Duskwight seems to be a divergence in the elezen appearance that emerged specifically as a result of living underground for generations, usually in Gelmorra in the Black Shroud. The natural appearance of surface-dwelling elezen families is the appearance that we know as "Wildwood".

Wildwood don't actually have to be from a wood; but duskwight do actually have to be from underground, at least ancestrally (it takes more than a generation or two to iron out the differences).

As for general fluff on the Garleans, have this loredump that Sounsyy wrote up a while ago (helpfully saved in my bookmarks as, simply, "garlics").

The reason we see mostly Elezen soldiers in Eorzea is because most pureblood Garleans are Hyur, and the soldiers they send out to their many territories are usually their conscripted soldiers. We believe Ilsabard to have a high population of Elezen, though ultimately unconfirmed at this point. Most Elezen from up north would likely be Wildwood or Wildwood-looking, though Duskwight is of course possible. Ultimately, it's up to your aesthetic choice. If your character were conscripted from an annexed territory, where would he have been from? Ala Mhigo had Elezen of both clans in 1.0, so that's a possibility if you still want him to be Eorzean? Though he could have originated in one of the Ilsabardian territories or even from the three known city-states of Othard.

[align=center]____________________________________________________________[/align]

The rise of the Garlean Empire in the Year 1522 of the Sixth Astral Era led to significant changes in the structure of the Garlean society. This is most evident in the adoption of titles which serve to indicate an individual's place within the social hierarchy. The following information was compiled with the aid of informants within the empire and has yet to be verified:

Royalty

Zos - The emperor

Yae - Member of the royal family in line of succession

Wir - Member of the royal family with no claim to the throne.

Military

Van - Legatus (Commands a Legion)

Tol - Tribunus laticlavius or Tribunus militum (Commands a Cohor)

Sas - Tribunus angusticlavius or Praefectus castrorum (Commands Castrums)

Rem - Primus pilus or Pilus prior (Commands a Manipulus)

Quo - Primi ordines or Centurion (Commands a Centuriae)

Pyr - Optio, Tesserarius, or Decurion (Cavalry Officer)

Oen - Duplicarius or Legionarius (Footsoldier?)

Specialists

Nan - Chief engineer or engineer

Mal - Primus medicus or senior magitek technician

Lux - Chief medicus or magitek technician

Kir - Senior medicus or senior technician

Jen - Medicus or technician

Public Officials

Iyl - Dictator or Princeps senatus

Het - Consul, Praetor, Tribunus plebis, Aedilis, or Quaestor

Goe - Censor

Fae - Unknown

Eir - Unknown

Dus - Lictor

This hierarchy extends to the general populace as well, though it is far less complex. The majority of citizens bear the "Bas" title, and there is a smaller group which appears to be comprised of respected artisans who have adopted the "Cen" title.

The "Aan" title is bestowed upon the peoples of annexed territories and indicates that they lack even the most basic rights afforded to a citizen. However, many Garleans view this as an opportunity rather than a condemnation, as citizenship may be granted to those who have demonstrated exceptional skills, as well as those who have contributed twenty or more years of military service.

Before I launch into an explanation of this development, dear reader, allow me to provide some background on Garlean military structure. The imperial army is composed of large-scale units known as legions. Of the fourteen such units believed to exist, it is the VIIth Imperial Legion, commanded by Legatus Nael van Darnus, that currently threatens our hearths and homes.

According to our sources, each legion is comprised of ten infantry battalions known as cohors. These cohors are further broken down into three companies, or manipuli. Finally, a manipulus consists of two platoons, or centuriae.

Our troubles lie with this last unit. Previously, the Empire pushed into our territory with entire manipuli. Recent days, however, have seen the attacks scaled back to the smaller centuriae.

“But surely,” you must be thinking, “Would that not make them easier to defeat?” Unfortunately, the answer is a resounding “nay.” Respected adventurers have described these centuria units functioning as elite shock troops—platoons that are provisioned with the latest in magitek weaponry.

Twin Adder strategists theorize that the Empire seeks to prevent the Eorzean Alliance from amassing by deploying these smaller detachments to threaten the realm on multiple fronts.

You look at the Garleans and again' date=' the Garleans are a different race, the pure-blood ones with the third eye. But when you look at the army they have people of all races because they go and subjugate a nation and tell people they can gain citizenship if you join our army and prove your worth. So that’s why you have so many soldiers that are Elezen, because all the real Garleans are back home ruling while their conscripts conquer the land, sometimes using the magic that they can’t.[/quote']

The Garleans are an enigmatic race of people from a massive empire situated to the north and east of Eorzea' date=' and despite coming from a realm so large, remarkably little is known about them. As few have ever seen them without their armor, rumors about their physical makeup are many, some of the more "coloful" claims being that they implant machina in their bodies to improve agility and strength, and that they possess a third eye allowing them to see in all directions at once. Though, I would assume there is little truth to these sailor's tales.[/quote']

The next question had to deal with the functionality of the Garleans’ third eye (a question that a lot of people ask me personally at Fan Fests and game shows). Oda-san had an answer prepared for this one as well' date=' so I read what he gave me. This pretty much stated that the third eye is believed to considerably improve the race’s capacity for spatial recognition. Because of this, the Garleans have a decided advantage over other races when it comes to navigating aircraft or firing weapons. I then bring up Cid’s bandana and the legatii’s helms...but Yoshi-P says that armor has been designed not to interfere with the workings of the 3rd eye.[/quote']

The Garlean Empire controls the majority of the Three Great Continents, the enormous landmass that encompasses Eorzea. Until some fifty years ago, Garlemald was a remote and sparsely populated nation which held little more than a fraction of the northern continent of Ilsabard. But with the arrival of a technological golden age and the concurrent emergence of a brilliant young legatus—now the reigning emperor—in the span of a single generation Garlemald established itself as one of the most formidable forces in all of Hydaelyn.

Garlemald is unsurpassed in the field of magitek, a technology which it exploits with devastating effectiveness in warfare. Unperturbed by their lesser numbers, the Garleans went forth upon gigantic flying warships, bearing powerful weaponry the likes of which the world had never seen. One nation after the next fell before their relentless onslaught, first those of the northlands, followed by the sovereign states of the eastern continent, Othard. Employing suppression and conciliation in equal measure, Garlemald indoctrinated the peoples it conquered, thus integrating them into its ever-expanding territory. So it was that the Garlean Empire came into existence.

In the year 1557 of the Sixth Astral Era, a mere thirty-six years from the Empire's founding, the Garleans brought their campaign of conquest to Eorzea, swiftly bringing the city-state of Ala Mhigo to its knees. Yet following the subjugation of Ala Mhigo, the Empire suddenly ceased its aggressive expansion.

For more than a decade, the continent of Aldenard knew relative peace. In the year 1572, however, the Garlean army once again began its inexorable advance. Using the calamitous arrival of the Seventh Umbral Era to sinister advantage, the Empire prepares to gather the lands of Eorzea into its steely embrace.

Outside Aldenard, the flames of conquest were only beginning to rise. To the north, on the continent of Ilsabard, the Republic of Garlemald begins overwhelming nearby nations with their iron war machines, seizing their land and consuming their cultures. In the year 1552, the leader of the republic, Solus zos Galvus, declares Garlemald an empire and appoints himself emperor. The new imperial army, now swelling with the might of countless assimilated nations, methodically subjugates the eastern continent of Othard and the remaining lands of Ilsabard, welcoming those nations willing to bow to imperial rule, while erasing those which refuse the Garlean standard.

With two of the three great continents now under its control, the Garlean Empire sets its sights on Aldenard, and in the year 1557, sends the XIVth legion to conquer Ala Mhigo in the first step to bring Eorzea's people under imperial rule. The Garlean Empire renames the conquered city-state and the surrounding lands of Gyr Abania to the Ala Mhigan Territory.

Born of distinguished lineage in the Garlemald Republic, Solus zos Galvus began his military career at a young age. After a string of impressive victories on the field of battle, however, he soon attained the rank of Legatus, and proceeded to integrate machina technology into the army's regular rank and file. With single-minded determination, Galvus transformed his fledgling nation into a formidable military power.

His actions garnered the undivided support of the citizenry, and catapulted him into the position of Dictator, supreme commander of Garlemald. In the years that followed, Garlean forces conquered all the lands of the north and hammered them into a single entity. Galvus then instituted an imperial regime to govern their new territories, conferring upon himself the title of "Emperor."

The eastern nations were the first to feel the newborn empire's mighty fist. It was during this campaign that the emperor witnessed firsthand the destruction wrought by the primals—an experience that led to an imperial mandate for their annihilation.

Now an old man of more than eighty winters, Galvus yet rules as emperor, but court rumors speak of frail health and frequent illness.

The highlands of Gyr Abania in the eastern reaches of Aldenard were once under the control of a martial nation known as Ala Mhigo. It was' date=' perhaps, the historically conflicted nature of the territory that forged the country into a significant military power. Even as this aggressive nation sent its forces to conquer in the west, it repelled repeated attempts at invasion from the east. In the Year 1557 of the Sixth Astral Era, however, it finally fell to the incursions of the Garlean Empire. From that time onwards, the country became merely another imperial territory under the governance of its usurpers. Though the people of Ala Mhigo once revered Rhalgr, the Destroyer, as their patron deity, any such religious observance has since been forbidden by the controlling authorities.[/quote']

*More about Ala Mhigo and its fall here.

We had heard that Ala Mhigo's armies were more than enough to fight off the Garleans. Tidings of her demise were...disheartening' date=' to say the least. And now there is word that Garlemald has made a stronghold of the ruins. It is from there that they launch their winged monstrosities, such as the one which destroyed our own airship. Their juggernauts have been spotted in the skies over every part of the realm, and their silver-clad soldiers are becoming a regular sight in the borderlands. Aye, it would seem the Garleans mean to unleash their full wrath on Eorzea.[/quote']

For many years' date=' my nation, Doma, suffered under the yoke of imperial rule, and my people yearned to be free. Thus, when a war of succession broke out in Garlemald, we sought to take advantage of the chaos and reclaim our liberty. Alas, our enemy proved less preoccupied than we had hoped, and our rebellion was put down in the most brutal fashion.[/quote']

"Beast tribe" is a designation of Garlean origin' date=' given to those races the Empire deems detestable. Equivalent to an earmarking for extermination, the label is attached on account of association with primals—beatific beings who, amid certain circles, command godlike reverence. In stark contrast, the primals are held in highest hatred by the Garleans, who, besides calling them by the derogatory denomination eikon, have sought to suppress with startling single-mindedness any species suspected to summon them.[/quote']

Legatus of the XIVth Legion' date=' the imperial force currently occupying Ala Mhigo, van Baelsar is possessed of a natural flair for wartime command equaled perhaps only by his sensibilities as a governing administrator. Among his numerous accomplishments is the conquest of five enemy cities, the political conversion of which he also oversaw. In subjugating Ala Mhigo, van Baelsar employed subterfuge to stoke the fires of civil unrest, a masterstroke which led to the nation’s capture without the need for a protracted siege. However, the unanticipated appearance of a primal shortly thereafter prompted the Empire to halt the legion’s advance. The legatus has since remained in Ala Mhigo, where he rules as an imperial viceroy.[/quote']

Though native to a territory subjugated by the Empire' date=' Rhitahtyn nevertheless serves as praefectus castrorum of the XIVth Imperial Legion. The Roegadyn was awarded the rank by Gaius van Baelsar himself, the legatus more interested in recognizing the mercenary's exceptional martial prowess than the origin of his birth. Rhitahtyn wields a unique gunshield named Tartarus.[/quote']

Legatus of the VIIth Legion presently dispatched to the western front' date=' van Darnus boasts distinguished parentage in his sire, a founding figure of the Garlean Empire. A ruthless man who has risen to infamy even among his own people, he draws no distinction betwixt friend and foe when met with dissent. Tales are oft told in hushed whispers of van Darnus’s swift rise to power upon the abrupt death by illness of his sire, whose body had no sooner grown cold than his closest aides were put to death. The White Raven seems a man well-suited to such dark rumors, for it is his pet project, "Meteor," that will herald Eorzea's inevitable plunge into the Seventh Umbral Era...[/quote']

Tell me, do you think it fate that brings you here? Some threads woven by your Weaver whore? Or was it no more than the meddling of Master Garlond? Hmph, it matters not. Go, take what you have scrounged like a rat and run to him. He is the only hope left you. Do not think this a mercy. Garlemald will annihilate the primals and claim dominion over all Eorzea. It is inevitable. As inevitable as your futile resistance. All you can hope to do is decide the manner of this realm's demise. This is the mercy I offer. A choice - an end by the red moon, or an end by Garlean might.

I will not deny that the primals have proven a great nuisance. They have delayed our advance. It was to break the stalemate between us that Nael van Darnus sought to bring down Dalamud. The impact of the red moon would destroy the primals in an instant. Little wonder that His Radiance embraced the scheme. But Dalamud is no mere rock, despite what van Darnus would have us believe. It is a great red sin, exiled to the skies by ancient Allag. There it has long festered, becoming something far more vile than we ever supposed. I see proof of this in van Darnus. His manner is…altered. He is anxious. Uneasy. He deceives His Radiance.

Of those in your realm, only the son of Midas nan Garlond sees the red moon for what it is. His Radiance will reach the same conclusion in time. Yet by then it will be too late. The shadow of Dalamud will already be dark upon these lands. Oppose van Darnus and Meteor, if you wish. It is the only hope you have of sparing Eorzea from complete obliteration.

Allow me to return the favor. I am Nael Van Darnus. Legatus of the VIIth Imperial Legion. I come bearing the light of salvation to the people of Eorzea. It warms my heart to know that there are still those who would attempt to preserve life upon this forsaken continent. And by the blood of fallen eikons, no less. A noble struggle, I grant you, but one that is sadly beyond hope. Alone, you stand no chance of survival. None. If you are to prevail, you must needs accept the outstretched hand of salvation - the hand of the Garlean Empire.

I know full well your people see the Empire as little more than a covetous beast, hungry for territory. But naught could be further from the truth. The world is stricken by an evil blight, her peoples given to despair. Seeing this, the Empire was moved with pity. It reached out to the other nations, bringing them under its wing that they might know deliverance.

For ours is the radiance that shall banish the darkness that threatens to engulf the land. Embrace the light, son of the South, and your progeny shall live to see a brighter tomorrow. Yet know that the light is unbending, its judgment absolute. By its illumination, all is laid bare - the world revealed in truest form. The bold shall inherit the world, and the beautiful shall rule it! So has the light decreed, and so it must be! Only then shall the land be free of chaos!

Ne'er till land consumes sun can sea bear moons,

heavens spew crimson flame, hells seep black dooms.

I see these words are lost upon you. That the children of this land should have grown up ignorant of the sacred prophecies of yore… The slumbering emperors of old Allag are surely turning in their graves.

But I will not blame you for your forefathers' negligence. Permit me to explain it as I might to a child of Garlemald. Naught is eternal. Nay, not even the dance of the stars upon the celestial sea. The hour of reckoning is at hand. Soon the crimson star shall descend, and the land shall be purged of its taint. Oh, but what manner of foul shadow will the unredeemed souls of your countrymen cast by the light of judgment!? The mere imagining of it cuts me to the quick.

Q: Natural-born Garleans are unable to, or do not, use aether. Is this because they do not possess the knowledge to do so or is it because genetically they are unable to?

Fernehalwes: This is an easy question. They are genetically unable to. It's in their DNA, because they have all of this knowledge. They basically go and take over a bunch of countries, but they don't destroy the nations when they go and take them over. They kill the leaders and then let the nations remain as they are, because they realize that's a better way to have them remain loyal to the Garleans and not have an uprising. Because of that, the Garlean Empire has access to all of this information, but even with access to all of that knowledge on magic, they still can't use it because it's in their genetics. That's why they've built up all of that machina to fight the magic that's so powerful in Eorzea.

The Empire is using Ala Mhigo as a breeding ground for new soldiers. Once children reach a certain age' date=' they are taken from their parents and sent into the north for training...never to be seen or heard from again.[/quote']

Believe thyself. Believe thy strength.

Know thyself. Know thy weakness.

Thou art alone. One amongst many.

The land is alone. One star in the void.

See through the lies. See beyond the words of deceivers.

Follow the truth. Follow the whispers of verity.

Protect that which must be. Destroy that which must not.

For Calamity draws nigh. The End is upon thee!

Kill the tribes.

Kill their gods.

Kill the tribes.

Before the Land doth perish!

Might you already have an imperial linkpearl? No? Garlean airships have been showering the free cities with them. Perhaps you will find one in the gutter with the night-soil. Nenekani did. Or perhaps it is better that you did not have one at all...

The message on the imperial linkpearl states we are not to be fooled by the appearance of the sylphs' date=' for they, too, are beastmen like the Amalj'aa and Ixal. If that is so, then why does Lady Minfilia insist on aiding them? Perhaps it is time I left the Path...[/quote']

Thank you one and all for coming. I have summoned you here today because I wish to speak of the linkpearls being distributed by the Empire. I understand the message they impart has a disquieting effect on those who hear it...especially those of us who walk the Path of the Twelve, and I hope what I have to say can help ease the hearts of some, if not all of you.

As you all know, and as some of you will personally recall, it was not five and ten summers ago that the Garlean Empire launched an offensive on the northern city-state of Ala Mhigo. You will have heard stories of how the men and women of their armies did their best to repel the enemy, only to find their iron blades and modest magicks no match for the Empire's machina. And you will have gleaned from such tales just how swiftly the entire region fell under Garlean control.

In those dark days, fear swept across the Realm, many believing that the Empire would surely continue its march south. But such fears proved unfounded. Against all expectation, their armies withdrew as fast as they had advanced... And, with the exception of the tragedy at Silvertear Falls, there has been nary a sound from Garlemald. Until now, that is.

Imperial airships and juggernauts have begun dropping linkpearls in all the major city-states on Aldenard and Vylbrand. These linkpearls state that the beast tribes of Eorzea are secretly plotting to call forth unholy eikons and lay waste to the Realm. The message goes on to say that if the city-states were to accept imperial rule, they would be granted the protection of the Empire—on the condition that the citizenry take up arms against the beast tribes.

However, there is one particular matter that deeply disturbs me, and makes me fear for the lives of my fellow walkers on the Path. It pertains to those of you who have been granted the gift of the Echo and can read the hearts of the Amalj'aa and Ixal... You see, in the eyes of the Empire, the ability to communicate with the beast tribes makes you one of them.

Imperial Court

The Garlean royalty are all of the line of Galvus. In addition to the aforementioned "zos," the term "yae" refers to male members of the royal family in the line of succession, as well as the Emperor's wife and mother. There also exists the title of "wir," or those who have no claim to the throne such as female heirs and their spouses. It is believed that all members of the royal family dwell within the extravagant imperial palace in Garlemald, and have decadent villas outside of the city.

The Senate

The Senate ruled Garlemald during the days of the Republic, and while since diminished, still serves as an advisory role to the emperor and his court. Members range from upper level public officials, titled "fae," to the highest-ranking princeps senatus- "iyl." The Senate also holds the power to remove the magistrates - the consul, praetor, tribunus plebis, aedilis, and quaestor. However, it has yet to use this right.

A large image of the completed Garlean Social Hierarchy Chart can be found here! This one covers the titles in far more detail than the compilation from Gubal. Note that the lore book lists ordinary citizens as "Bas" whereas Gubal lists them as "Ban." "Ban" is a typo.

van Darnus boasts distinguished parentage in his sire' date=' a founding figure of the Garlean Empire.[/quote']

The VIIth Imperial Legion

Having existed since days of the Garlemald Republic, the VIIth Legion became legend for its ferocity during the campaigns to unify Ilsabard. The first legatus was the father of Eula and Nael van Darnus, and remains a lauded national hero to this day.

These quotes above give us some insight into how House Darnus achieved Garlean nobility in the transition from Republic to Empire, but I just spent the last half hour combing google for some text I seem to recall from the 1.0 Lodestone suggesting that many of Garlemald's current "nobility" are members of the original founding Republic families. While this, in all likelihood, is not a requirement for nobility it could be a tidbit you consider when creating your own House of Garlemald.

It's then just a matter of deciding what position your character would hold in the Garlean hierarchy- and remember, if multiple titles apply to a single person, the higher title is always taken.

More lore on Garlemald and its history and military found outside of the lore book's pages can be found in this Garlean Lore Compilation. Hope this helps! ^^

c.1510 - At the turn of the 16th century, an engineer attempts to create a smaller version of the stationary steam engine, but chose instead to utilize ceruleum as a fuel source. His creation is weak but portable, and soon has the backing of Garlemald's military funding. The first magitek engine is born.

1513 (64 y/a) - Solus zos Galvus's becomes a Legatus and begins making reforms to use magitek in the military.

1515 (62 y/a) - The Republic of Garlemald begins invading and subjugating its neighbors in Ilsabard.

1517 (60 y/a) - Solus zos Galvus is named Dictator of Garlemald. The first Republican magitek airships launch. The small nation of Dalmasca in Ilsabard's central mountains falls, securing Garlemald's control over most of the northern territories.

1522 (55 y/a) - The northlands of Ilsabard are united under Garlean rule. The Republic becomes an Empire, and Solus zos Galvus becomes the First Emperor. Several influential Garlean Houses, such as House Darnus, are elevated to positions of power in the Senate or military. A new calendar is adopted by the Garlean territories, the years counted according to the Emperor's reign.

1528 (49 y/a) - The Garlean Empire begins its invasion into Othard.

c.1530 - The Othardian nations summon an unknown primal to stall the Garlean advance.

1552 (25 y/a) - The Garleans seize Doma, crushing the last resisting nation in the Far East.

1553 (24 y/a) - With the remaining lands of Othard quickly being annexed, Garlemald turns its attention towards Eorzea and begins attacking Ala Mhigo.

1555 (22 y/a) - Cid Garlond and Nero Scaeva enter Garlemald's Magitek Academy, their fiercely competitive rivalry fueling the military with countless new inventions, many of which would come to be used against Ala Mhigo.

1557 (20 y/a) - Ala Mhigo finally falls after Garlean infiltrators incite civil war in the city-state. The small resistance put up by Ala Mhigo's defenders is put down in the most brutal fashion.

1562 (15 y/a) - After amassing their forces in Ala Mhigo, Garlemald pushes south into Eorzea, seeking to lay claim to Silvertear Lake in Mor Dhona, but are thwarted by Midgardsormr and the Dravanians he calls to war. This singular event, later known as the Battle of Silvertear Skies, is the catalyst for almost every major world event to follow.

1562 cont. - In the massive explosion of aether from Silvertear, the first Eorzean primals are summoned from the fears of the Beast tribes. From then on, the tribes learn to summon these primals repeatedly against their enemies. The Echo begins manifesting in countless individuals after reportedly seeing a "starshower" in the sky.

1562 cont. - The XIVth Legion, utterly crushed by the Dravanians, retreats to Ala Mhigo and begins construction on Baelsar's Wall to keep the beast tribes and their "eikons" at bay.

1562 cont. - Seeking a method to defeat Eorzea's primals, the Emperor gives the okay for Midas nan Garlond's and Nael van Darnus's "Meteor Project," seeking to use the power of Dalamud as a weapon against Eorzea. Their first test site is Bozja, the largest commercial hub in Othard.

1562 cont. - Dalamud awakens and a beam of energy evaporates the entire city of Bozja, desolating the entire region. Garlemald attempts to coverup this "Bozja Incident" but it is impossible. Fear spreads throughout Othard. Nael van Darnus takes her failure out on the Othardians, worsening conditions there. The first whispers of Far Eastern resistance begin.

1572 (5 y/a) - Nael van Darnus and her VIIth Legion leave the Far East and occupy Ala Mhigo, driving the slaves there to redouble their military efforts. The VIIth and XIVth Legions harry the city-states, cutting off trade routes in and out of Eorzea and shooting down airships over Eorzean skies. Trade between the East and Eorzea begins to dwindle.

1572 cont. - The second incarnation of the Meteor Project comes to fruition in the recently Garlean occupied Mor Dhona. Dalamud descends upon Eorzea. The XIVth Legion retreats to Ala Mhigo to crush Ala Mhigan resistance there. The VIIth Legion entrenches itself in Mor Dhona, sending out cohorts to attack the city-states.

1572 cont. - The Calamity and the start of the 7th Umbral Era. The calendar Year resets to Year 1. For the next 5 years, the XIVth Legion pushes into Eorzea, creating castrums to prepare for another round of invasion. However, all further aggression halts as First Garlean Emperor Solus zos Galvus's health sharply declines.

0005 7th Umbral Era (~1 y/a) - Operation Archon. The Eorzean Alliance pushes back in a unified assault on all Garlean castrums, rooting any planned Imperial advance. Gaius van Baelsar, legatus of the XIVth Legion is slain. The empire quickly sends reinforcements to the Eorzean castrums to hold their position.

0001 7th Astral Era (~1 y/a) - Solus zos Galvus passes. A War of Succession breaks out between the Emperor's youngest son and the Emperor's grandson. During this War of Succession, the resistance in Doma rebels, taking back several villages from the Garleans.

0001 cont. - The War of Succession ends abruptly with the grandson, Varis zos Galvus, taking control over his uncle. Varis tightens his grip on the East, the Doman rebellion is put down, its capitol is razed, and anyone captured associated with the rebellion is publicly executed alongside their families as an example to Othard's other peoples.

0001 cont. - Yugiri leads a group of surviving Doman refugees to the nation of Hingashi (and its cities Kugane and Bukyo) seeking asylum. Hingashi refuses them, fearing they'd face the fate of Bozja and Doma. The refugees then sail to Thavnair. They are also refused there. Yugiri finally turns towards Eorzea, sailing for two months to reach Vesper, whereupon Ul'dah also refuses them aid. The Doman refugees finally settle in a border town in Mor Dhona called Revenant's Toll.

Additional Garlean lore you may find helpful can be found in the links below:

-The Rise and Fall of the White Raven

-The Invasion of Othard

-Garlean Political Structure

-Garlean Invasion and Castrums

Hope this helps! ^^

EDIT: Whoops, Kilieit beat me to the punch!

• 4 weeks later...