General Lore Questions

Goodfellow

I guess that joke really dive bombed.

There's a special level of hell for those who make such horrible, horrible puns.  :evil:

Sorry I just can't help it sometimes, I read words and make a neural link.

(Last one I promise)

Ok I have a real question. How do dragons work. The main quest seems to imply they are intelligent and organized enough to corrupt people in Coerthas, and pose a valid threat. However when you encounter them, they all seem like mindless beasts like every other monster. 

How smart are dragons? Can they speak in common tongue languages? How do they corrupt people in coerthas?

Apparently dragons can corrupt people just by looking them into the eyes, touching or even hearing them. The eye of Nidhogg (who I think is or was the baddest dragon around) is locked away in Ishgard (after the first dragoon poked it out of his head) because of that reason. The other two, touching and hearing, could perhaps be just Ishgardian exageration about the matter.

Here is an older thread about the matter. Scroll down to Sounsyy's answer.

We can assume that dragons are intelligent, at least their elders, who in some FATE's are blamed for sending the dragonkin to attack Ishgardian locations.

Apparently dragons can corrupt people just by looking them into the eyes, touching or even hearing them. The eye of Nidhogg (who I think is or was the baddest dragon around) is locked away in Ishgard (after the first dragoon poked it out of his head) because of that reason. The other two, touching and hearing, could perhaps be just Ishgardian exageration about the matter.

Here is an older thread about the matter. Scroll down to Sounsyy's answer.

We can assume that dragons are intelligent, at least their elders, who in some FATE's are blamed for sending the dragonkin to attack Ishgardian locations.

There's a lot that we don't know about dragons, really.  And what we do know is basically filtered through Ishgard - which is an incredibly biased source.  I'm curious to see if they'll reveal more in the future.

• 5 weeks later...

Throughout the cutscenes, Hydaelyn is not just referred to as a world, but as a planet.  My question then is this: is Hydaelyn a part of any sort of stellar system like our own solar system with other planetary bodies (not just Hydaelyn's own moons)?  And if so, are there details of that system and its component celestial bodies anywhere in the lore?

Throughout the cutscenes, Hydaelyn is not just referred to as a world, but as a planet.  My question then is this: is Hydaelyn a part of any sort of stellar system like our own solar system with other planetary bodies (not just Hydaelyn's own moons)?  And if so, are there details of that system and its component celestial bodies anywhere in the lore?

The planet FF14 takes place on is named after the Mothercrystal Hydaelyn and its reasonable to assume that it exists in a solar system with other planets present. However whatever they may be called or look like is completely unknown.

1) Are surnames individualized for Dunesfolk?  That is, are both of a Dunesfolk's names unique to that individual?  Is Lolotaru Lalataru the only Lalataru, or does he come from a long and storied line of Lalatarus?

I don't know why I contemplate Lalafell naming conventions when I don't even play a Lalafell but here's my 2gil on the subject

Dunesfolk naming conventions:

Male:AAB CCB

Female:AAB AB

Hihibaru at Highbridge has a daughter named Hihira in Little Ala Mhigo. Based on those NPCs I would guess that Dunesfolk family names are represented in the first name.

The AA portion of the father's name is passed on

Hihira Hira= Full name

Hihi = family name

Hi- = family prefix to unique female name

-ra= unique suffix to unique female name

The Coco(b)- brothers of the thaumaturge's guild are another example of shared AA prefixes (and first letter of B suffix). The B and CCB portions of male names seem to be unique

tl;dr Perhaps Lolotaru Lalataru's family name is Lolo.

I don't know why I contemplate Lalafell naming conventions when I don't even play a Lalafell but here's my 2gil on the subject

Dunesfolk naming conventions:

Male:AAB CCB

Female:AAB AB

Hihibaru at Highbridge has a daughter named Hihira in Little Ala Mhigo. Based on those NPCs I would guess that Dunesfolk family names are represented in the first name.

The AA portion of the father's name is passed on

Hihira Hira= Full name

Hihi = family name

Hi- = family prefix to unique female name

-ra= unique suffix to unique female name

The Coco(b)- brothers of the thaumaturge's guild are another example of shared AA prefixes (and first letter of B suffix). The B and CCB portions of male names seem to be unique

tl;dr Perhaps Lolotaru Lalataru's family name is Lolo.

That's an interesting find. I always figured the B part of the two names were considered the family name but this makes a lot more sense.

• 1 year later...

Casting [insert preferred rez here] on the thread to avoid cluttering the forums.  I have a question, and I put it to you all.  You've not let me down yet.

We know that Hearers perform the vital function of...well...hearing the elementals in the Shroud, and we know that elementals exist all over the world, but they're the most vocal and...er...active(?) in the Shroud.

My question is, do all elementals actually require Hearers to communicate with mortals or can an elemental manifest itself willfully enough to speak directly to mortals without an intermediary?

Thanks folks!

My question is, do all elementals actually require Hearers to communicate with mortals or can an elemental manifest itself willfully enough to speak directly to mortals without an intermediary?

As best we know, yes. The PC can understand when an Elemental speaks to them (Oha-Sok from 1.0 WHM questilne) because A) CNJ questline establishes you as a Hearer and B) you have the Echo. In all other instances of Elementals appearing to mankind, an intermediary is required. Whether this be a Hearer or Moogle.

Soileine: Elementals abound in the Twelveswood around Gridania. Unto them falls the task of protecting the forest. And unto us falls the task of protecting them. To that end' date=' we have laid the Hedge - a magical barrier formed by our order and the Elementals that serves to turn away outside evils. Those who would breach it invite our vengeance. [b']We are the conjurers - intermediaries of nature and man. Our place is between Gridanians and the Elementals. The majority of our citizenry are deaf to the forest's whispers. Yet all feel the presence of the Elementals, as surely as they feel hot and cold.[/b]

Waldew: Listen' date=' adventurer, to the rustling leaves, the flowing rivers- to the very pulse of this land. We conjurers of Stillglade Fane interpret these whispers of the Elementals and convey them to the people of Gridania.[/quote']

Why is it that Elementals cannot speak to us through other means? I think there's a Heavensward Quest which answers this the best:

Kan-E-Senna: In requesting the Elementals' assistance' date=' you must needs be aware of one difficulty - a difficulty born of the fundamental difference between man and elemental. In perceiving the world around him, man relies upon senses such as sight and sound. For the sake of convenience, he gives names to such things as are near or dear to him. Being formed of pure aether, however, such concepts are foreign to the elmentals. Instead, they perceive by observing the ebb and flow of the energies of life. So profound a division cannot be bridged with simple discourse. The Elementals' voices stir not the air, and thus reach not our ears, while our words are but wind to them. Though we seers can commune with them through feelings, naught that we can impart will serve to aid them...[/quote']

we know that elementals exist all over the world, but they're the most vocal and...er...active(?) in the Shroud.

As for this bit, yes, Elementals exist all over the world. Every tree, every stream, rock, etc. The reason the Elementals have such a "vocal" presence in the Black Shroud is that they have the protection of the Hedge, a magical barrier which wards out dangers. By breaking or passing through this barrier, you begin accruing Woodsin, a palpable aggravation to the flora and fauna of the Twelveswood. Enough Woodsin will drive nearby beasts mad and cause them to try to "silence" your Woodsin. (This is slightly different from "Greenwrath" which is when you commit a wrong so grievous it awakens an Elemental to deal with the threat. These Greenwrath-worthy events are usually acts in violation of the Pact of Gelmorra.

Hope this helps! ^^

As for this bit, yes, Elementals exist all over the world. Every tree, every stream, rock, etc. The reason the Elementals have such a "vocal" presence in the Black Shroud is that they have the protection of the Hedge, a magical barrier which wards out dangers. By breaking or passing through this barrier, you begin accruing Woodsin, a palpable aggravation to the flora and fauna of the Twelveswood. Enough Woodsin will drive nearby beasts mad and cause them to try to "silence" your Woodsin. (This is slightly different from "Greenwrath" which is when you commit a wrong so grievous it awakens an Elemental to deal with the threat. These Greenwrath-worthy events are usually acts in violation of the Pact of Gelmorra.

This reminds me of a question I've had ever since 2.0 launched. In 1.0 the woodsin and greenwrath were very prominent in the Gridanian storyline. But even since 2.0, I haven't noticed anyone mention it, and you certainly never see it happen as you did in 1.0. I remember a reason for this, though if I'm being honest I can't remember if I read this in game or made it up in my head as a possible reason for not seeing any greenwrath, but is Dalamud cutting deep wounds into the Twelveswood the reason we never hear or see anything about the greenwrath in 2.0? As in the elementals have been weakened or are healing or somesuch and therefore can not enact the greenwrath as they once could? Or did I skip a cutscene on accident and I just missed it?

This reminds me of a question I've had ever since 2.0 launched. In 1.0 the woodsin and greenwrath were very prominent in the Gridanian storyline. But even since 2.0, I haven't noticed anyone mention it, and you certainly never see it happen as you did in 1.0. I remember a reason for this, though if I'm being honest I can't remember if I read this in game or made it up in my head as a possible reason for not seeing any greenwrath, but is Dalamud cutting deep wounds into the Twelveswood the reason we never hear or see anything about the greenwrath in 2.0? As in the elementals have been weakened or are healing or somesuch and therefore can not enact the greenwrath as they once could? Or did I skip a cutscene on accident and I just missed it?

Yes, the Calamity greatly damaged not only the Twelveswood, but the entire planet. The Elementals are the lifeblood of the world, so their lifeforce is intrinsically tied to the wellbeing of the planet. When Hydaelyn is weakened, so are they.

The elementals are the eternal guardians of the Twelveswood. Since time immemorial, they have watched over the forest and all life within, ensuring that the balance of nature is preserved. By an ancient covenant, man was permitted to reside in the Twelveswood. Thus was the nation of Gridania born, some five centuries ago.

Alas, the elementals were gravely weakened during the calamitous events that ushered in the Seventh Umbral Era. Mere mortals though we be, it now falls to us to protect the forest with body, mind, and spirit.

We once relied on the elementals to protect the Twelveswood' date=' but with their power now diminished, it falls to us to shoulder this burden. The Bannock was built for this very purpose. It is a tangible symbol of the commitment both the Elder Seedseer and the Order of the Twin Adder have made to maintaining the balance of the forest.[/quote']

Greenwrath and Woodsin are still present in 2.0/3.0. It is just not to the extent that it was in 1.0. In 1.0, Gridania was still very much an isolationist nation, relying very little on outside nation's help, trade, or aid in their own matters. Most Ul'dahn caravans would even refuse to enter into the Black Shroud for fear of their life. But when the Calamity destroyed a good portion of the Twelveswood, they were forced to accept outside help. And without the Elementals at their full strength to aid them, much of that Greenwrath has been abated. You do still have to deal with it in the 2.0 WHM questline and there's a few NPCs in Gridania and Quarrymill which reference Woodsin and Greenwrath as well.

awesome lore stuff

And this probably explains why the Garleans are happily marching in all over the place, wouldn't it? No need to fear the forest when it can't fight back [as easily]?

I do have to wonder if they still do the festival/ritual to cleanse woodsin though. It'd be a shame if we couldn't wear our halfmasks anymore. :

As best we know, yes. The  PC can understand when an Elemental speaks to them (Oha-Sok from 1.0 WHM questilne) because A) CNJ questline establishes you as a Hearer and B) you have the Echo. In all other instances of Elementals appearing to mankind, an intermediary is required. Whether this be a Hearer or Moogle.

Soileine: Elementals abound in the Twelveswood around Gridania. Unto them falls the task of protecting the forest. And unto us falls the task of protecting them. To that end, we have laid the Hedge - a magical barrier formed by our order and the Elementals that serves to turn away outside evils. Those who would breach it invite our vengeance. We are the conjurers - intermediaries of nature and man. Our place is between Gridanians and the Elementals. The majority of our citizenry are deaf to the forest's whispers. Yet all feel the presence of the Elementals, as surely as they feel hot and cold.

Waldew: Listen, adventurer, to the rustling leaves, the flowing rivers- to the very pulse of this land. We conjurers of Stillglade Fane interpret these whispers of the Elementals and convey them to the people of Gridania.

So that raises the follow-up question: are there Hearers outside of the Shroud?  Discounting the WoL, are Hearers a phenomenon apart from the Pact of Gelmorra?  Could some random Xaela out on the steppes of Othard be born with the ability to communicate with the elementals or is the concept tied to Gridania?

As best we know, yes. The  PC can understand when an Elemental speaks to them (Oha-Sok from 1.0 WHM questilne) because A) CNJ questline establishes you as a Hearer and B) you have the Echo. In all other instances of Elementals appearing to mankind, an intermediary is required. Whether this be a Hearer or Moogle.

Soileine: Elementals abound in the Twelveswood around Gridania. Unto them falls the task of protecting the forest. And unto us falls the task of protecting them. To that end, we have laid the Hedge - a magical barrier formed by our order and the Elementals that serves to turn away outside evils. Those who would breach it invite our vengeance. We are the conjurers - intermediaries of nature and man. Our place is between Gridanians and the Elementals. The majority of our citizenry are deaf to the forest's whispers. Yet all feel the presence of the Elementals, as surely as they feel hot and cold.

Waldew: Listen, adventurer, to the rustling leaves, the flowing rivers- to the very pulse of this land. We conjurers of Stillglade Fane interpret these whispers of the Elementals and convey them to the people of Gridania.

So that raises the follow-up question: are there Hearers outside of the Shroud?  Discounting the WoL, are Hearers a phenomenon apart from the Pact of Gelmorra?  Could some random Xaela out on the steppes of Othard be born with the ability to communicate with the elementals or is the concept tied to Gridania?

It should be doable. Hearers are rare, but not Padjal-rare. I've yet to see any racial restriction on them. Although...Gridania seems to be the only place to help a Hearer understand their ability. But that could just be because the Conjurers' Guild is there.

Hearers appear to be a genetic quirk, of sorts, so I do think that they could be born outside of Gridania, though it would be far rarer than if they were born within the Twelveswood.

It's doable, tho, imo.

It should be doable. Hearers are rare' date=' but not Padjal-rare. I've yet to see any racial restriction on them. Although...Gridania seems to be the only place to help a Hearer understand their ability. But that could just be because the Conjurers' Guild is there.[/quote']

Being a Hearer appears to be tied directly to an innate ability in Conjury, so it makes sense that Hearers born outside of lands where Conjury is well known and understood would have trouble coming to grips with the ability. Not to mention the fact that the Hearers in Gridania, by nature, are going to have more experience with the ability, and thus probably a few tips and tricks that help them along.

Got a question:

What is the extent of fur on a Miqo'te? Most of them look like they just have fur on their ears and tail, with normal (for humans) body hair other than that. Still others look like they might be as furry as a standard house cat, and the texture simply isn't detailed.

So what's the call? Do we know?

So what's exactly the deal with Jandelaine and Guillefresne? Supposedly duskwights of an Ishgardian noble house, I've seen nothing mentioned of them in Heavensward and really no evidence of a duskwight population in Ishgard.  I've personally only seen wildwood, midlanders, and two foreign adventurers bringing xaela and highlander into the Forgotten Knight, but not much else.

Did I miss something?  Are there any duskwights seen in Ishgard or at least lore referencing their existence there?  Or is it really just a big question mark at this point?

Maybe I was lied to and Jandelaine's pure wildwood stock, making this entire post useless? :P

Well there is the rather Duskwight looking guy that you face in the MSQ during the trial by combat? His skin tone is darker than what you can make with Wildwoods in the CC and he also has bright eyes both of which are typically attributed to Duskies. He's also -named- after a certain house but....

It's kind of up in the air, as far as I know? Some say they're there but obviously in smaller numbers compared to the Shroud while others say they can't be since apparently no sun = automatically pale (which is TOTALLY different argument itself). Since I play an Ishgardian Duskwight, obviously I'm a little biased in my opinion here. >_>

So what's exactly the deal with Jandelaine and Guillefresne? Supposedly duskwights of an Ishgardian noble house, I've seen nothing mentioned of them in Heavensward and really no evidence of a duskwight population in Ishgard.  I've personally only seen wildwood, midlanders, and two foreign adventurers bringing xaela and highlander into the Forgotten Knight, but not much else.

Did I miss something?  Are there any duskwights seen in Ishgard or at least lore referencing their existence there?  Or is it really just a big question mark at this point?

Maybe I was lied to and Jandelaine's pure wildwood stock, making this entire post useless? :P

They could be very dark Wildwood, you can make a very dark skinned Wildwood in the CC after all.

How are patron deities chosen? Each month is associated with a deity, but at character creation you choose it independently of the character's nameday, so... how is that determined? Is there any lore on this at all?

How are patron deities chosen? Each month is associated with a deity, but at character creation you choose it independently of the character's nameday, so... how is that determined? Is there any lore on this at all?

As players, we're just kinda given it as an option.

Certain cities and areas around the game do have a patron diety that is worshipped. You may have seen a few already!

Ul'dah: Nald'Thal

Gridania: Nophica

Ishgard: Halone

Ala Mhigo: Rhalgr

As players, we're just kinda given it as an option.

Certain cities and areas around the game do have a patron diety that is worshipped. You may have seen a few already!

Ul'dah: Nald'Thal

Gridania: Nophica

Ishgard: Halone

Ala Mhigo: Rhalgr

And Limsa Lominsa's is Lymlaen, if I'm not mistaken.

I just chose my birthday for Shoshopu's and that sits her in a month associated with Lymlaen- but that's just one month off from Oschon, so I was considering retconning it (from Third Astral to Third Umbral; at least they're both Wind), since Oschon is her patron deity, and the one her family worships the most, as well. Would that mean her entire family's patron deity is Oschon? Or is it determined by, like... some kind of random occurrence that happens that the family might interpret as a blessing from x deity? Just the fact they call it "patron" deity makes me want to think it's not chosen by the person whose patron the deity is, but by the deity itself, someway or another... 

On the other hand, since she now spends most of her time in Limsa, Lymlaen doesn't seem to be a bad one to be associated with, from a flavor standpoint...

Just trying to find as much lore on it as I can before I make a decision.

I chose mine based off the personalities of the characters I was creating. Gogon is a seeker of knowledge and holds information in high regard, as such Thaliak was the obvious choice for him. Chachan follows more closely to his family's heritage and is a smith, and thus has Byregot. Judge has a very black and white view on things and believes one thing will lead to another, and so I picked Nymeia for him. That's just personal preference, though. :blush: