General Lore Questions

Goodfellow

Fantasia potions.

I've seen some people rping this as an IC means to change races, sex, etc. What do the lore masters have to say?

Yoshida and the Dev Team explicitly said that Fantasia was not canon.

Doesn't stop some people nonetheless but canon wise, Fantasia doesn't exist.

Fantasia potions.

I've seen some people rping this as an IC means to change races, sex, etc. What do the lore masters have to say?

There was a statement made by one of the official lore team stating that they weren't actually existent IG, but plenty of folks still use them ICly. Even if not by name, I've seen a few tales spun of folks who ran afoul of a Sylph or encountered some strange unknown potion.

The main issue is the difficulties that would arise if such a thing was commonplace. Spies and other ne'er-do-wells could just change form on the fly, eluding capture. I mean, in the ALC HW questlines, you have a... body-hopper or something of the like? And the only way they're caught is by using a special powder to identify their aether on an item they made.

Simply put if Fantasia was canon we would somehow have even more Fem Seekers than we already have. Civilization would collapse, birthrates would decline, people would speak out loud emoticons, and society would not collapse in a bang like the other Eras, but in a whimper suffocated by their own overwhelming Fem Seekers population.

It is simply too powerful, like Alexander, the ideal situation is not existing for the sake of the world.

I've used the Fantasia a few times, but it was always as a gag. First time was someone slipped a fake Fantasia into Lili's drunk in the QS like 2+ years ago and she woke up the next morning stuck as a Keeper for three days. Woke up on the third day and was fine.

Another time was Lili and her late husband where he basically did the same thing. Was given a supposed 'cure all' which just turned him into a miqo'te until Lili made an antidote. Was for shiggles and then we went back to loving our hyurs again.

For me, it's all about the application. I tend to stop really acknowledging it after a while and just have my characters go 'okay cool'.

For me, it's all about the application. I tend to stop really acknowledging it after a while and just have my characters go 'okay cool'.

Chachan's pretty ambivalent about sudden race and gender changes after a couple people have gone through every race ICly. Twice. And he had enough Lalafell girls going Miqo'te that I joked that he thought that was part of the process.

Chachan's pretty ambivalent about sudden race and gender changes after a couple people have gone through every race ICly. Twice. And he had enough Lalafell girls going Miqo'te that I joked that he thought that was part of the process.

31106537.jpg

31106537.jpg

More like mewberty. And to make it even better, one of them retconned into having always been a Miqo'te and at least one of the others went back to being a Lala at some point or another. So it either never happened or it was indeed just a phase. :lol:

31106537.jpg

More like mewberty. And to make it even better, one of them retconned into having always been a Miqo'te and at least one of the others went back to being a Lala at some point or another. So it either never happened or it was indeed just a phase. :lol:

-points to the door for the mewberty comment- Go think about what you've done.

Me Headcanon:

Fantasia is extremely rare and only spoken about in whispers. Most laymen agree it's an urban legend, and serial criminals have probably died in the Philosopher's Stone-like pursuit of this mystical potion which will allow them to become someone new, either from drinking a fake that turned out to be poison or from being killed directly by a competitor.

...rich businessfolk in Ul'dah are in possession of the substance, usually for recreational or vanity purposes; they don't call it by its common name, "fantasia", but by something else fakey and scientific-sounding that doesn't give away its purpose. It often ends up in the hands (or drinking glasses) of unsuspecting adventurers after it's been stolen or mistakenly taken by servants and wait-staff who service both said rich businessfolks and more common bars; sometimes on purpose (and then maliciously or mistakenly fed to said adventurer), sometimes on the mistake that it's actually expensive liquor (and then mistakenly fed to said adventurer).

Far more commonly available and known-about and, like, known to actually exist and not be a wild goose chase (do geese exist in Eorzea??), methods of changing one's appearances are glamours of various sorts, both the kinds weaved through prisms and the kinds cast by creatures like imps and sylphs. That would be most characters' first port of call if mundane disguises weren't doing the trick or weren't applicable to the problem.

Fantasia potions.

Yoshida and the Dev Team explicitly said that Fantasia was not canon.

Doesn't stop some people nonetheless but canon wise, Fantasia doesn't exist.

It's not quite so cut and dry. MCKF spoke briefly about Fantasia at the 2014 London Fan Fest. One can, of course, take that as tongue in cheek, but the lore team did give some thought to the concept and how it operates within the setting.

That said, there are far easier and available ways to change appearance.

I always thought Phantasia wasn't canon. If it is brought up in RP, my headcanon treats it like an advanced glamour. The loreteam did say it gives you the courage to be what you want, so in my view it might make you LOOK like another race/gender, but you aren't actually. If you're a hyur, "accidentally drank it" become a lalafell, you are still a hyur (I mean how common is this friggin thing? Didn't the loreteam say it's ability would be too insane to exist?)

At the end of a day it's a player-service, not EVERY item on the mog station or received through mail is lorefriendly. FFXIV has been the only MMO I've played where a race/gender changing player-service has been treated as canon by RPers for some reason.

Fantasia potions.

Since Fantasia is mentioned in the Alchemist questline and was a big part of the 1.0 Alchemist storyline, it exists, but is extremely rare. Think of it more like the fountain of youth. It might exist but nobody has really made it yet, or if they have, they are not mass producing it.

Fantasia potions.

Since Fantasia is mentioned in the Alchemist questline and was a big part of the 1.0 Alchemist storyline, it exists, but is extremely rare. Think of it more like the fountain of youth. It might exist but nobody has really made it yet, or if they have, they are not mass producing it.

I think the developers stating it's not lore would trump any 1.0 content. Personally, I dislike folk referencing 1.0 for lore guidance. The game sucked, flopped, and died. More importantly, we have no way to access any information in that game anymore, such as lines of dialogue. A quick search for "fantasia" on the lore finder website yields nothing.

Fantasia potions.

I think the developers stating it's not lore would trump any 1.0 content. Personally, I dislike folk referencing 1.0 for lore guidance. The game sucked, flopped, and died. More importantly, we have no way to access any information in that game anymore, such as lines of dialogue. A quick search for "fantasia" on the lore finder website yields nothing.

1.0's lore wasn't retconned though. Its shitty battle system and server architecture was. The gameplay sucked. Not the MSQ, its quests or other content. And really, by the time Yoshi-P took over, it had fairly decent gameplay. But a bunch of bandaids could really only get so far.

On a side note, there are plenty of ways to access the information in the client. There's a 1.0 version of the FFXIV file Explorer. NPC scripts can be decompiled. (They're all lua). All text was stored client-side. There are a plethora of let's-play videos where people recorded all of the cutscenes. And that's not even touching the private server communities where you can replay all the cutscenes yourself. (Like how the cancelled Titan cutscene was found.)

Fantasia potions.

1) I'm not quite sure where Fantasias came into the 1.0 ALC questline? Those quests were wholly dedicated to discovering a cure for Guildmaster Faustigeant's son, Damelliot's, sleeping sickness. The several failed medicines attempted would later be used in the attempted assassination of Nanamo Ul Namo. But to be sure, I just went back and reread the entire questline. No mention of fantasias by name or description.

2) Kale, regardless of people's opinions of the 1.0 version of the game, it's story and lore was not retconned and serves as the foundation for which all of ARR's lore and story is built. Of the estimated "80% old info" covered in the new lore book, well over half of that is 1.0 lore. So, sorry people keep referencing 1.0 lore? But it literally had triple the amount of lore and world building information than ARR and in a fraction of the quests.

3) I have no idea where people think I get my lore from, but I'm here to tell you all I don't have some private collection of screenshots from 1.0. You all literally have access to every bit of lore I have via google, I just know what I'm looking for. Saying 1.0 lore doesn't count because you don't have access to it is just false for one, and silly considering most lore found in ARR was first introduced in 1.0 anyways.

Okay I tried to find something for you in the lore book and I couldn't (Sylphs pages mention everything but glamours, couldn't spot anything in the aetherology section at a glance) but I did find this which I couldn't not share I'm sorry

[...] Multiple exposures [to a Primal's aether] can lead to an eventual degradation and transformation of [the] body [...] Ramuh's "touched" sylphs will grow extended beards.*

*Proof of this final claim is, at the current moment, severely lacking.

I want fanart show me fanart

Does lore says anything about Magitek prostetics and augmentations like that? Is that purely fanon or is there some lore examples about it?

I'm at work currently so I can't peak at the lore book to see if it mentions anything extra on the topic, but this is the original quote which started the popular magitek prosthetic headcanon:

The Garleans are an enigmatic race of people from a massive empire situated to the north and east of Eorzea' date=' and despite coming from a realm so large, remarkably little is known about them. As few have ever seen them without their armor, rumors about their physical makeup are many, some of the more "coloful" claims being that they implant machina in their bodies to improve agility and strength, and that they possess a third eye allowing them to see in all directions at once. Though, I would assume there is little truth to these sailor's tales.[/quote']

Ah, right. That bit..

Yeah I have seen there is an interesting couple of pages on the garlean tech and doodads in the lorebook, I'll try to have a look at it when I get back from work (and update my garlic lore thread).