"Lore-friendly" or not Jobs

Kage

Honestly, the only source of contention is White Mage. You can even be a Dragoon pretty easily as long as you don't run around calling yourself The Slayer The Azure Dragoon.

Summoner looks difficult but it's actually easy enough to bypass, the HARDEST is actually fighting a Primal and not get tempered if your character doesn't have the Echo.

There's a specific process for tempering/drowning/touching/etc, so it's possible for a primal fight to be narrated without the 'tempering' occuring! For Titan-egi it's the easiest to avoid, he doesn't 'temper' at all! It's not so hard after all :D.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Monk -- The job I've chosen as main. Rare, scattered and almost lost, but being taught by enough of the remnants to be making a comeback. Berrod was trained by a remnant of the Fists at a young age, and has his soul crystal in his possession. He continues to make progress toward mastery.

Warrior -- The art of a village in the mountains that's slowly dying out, but witnessing a revival by curious hottie gorge. Berrod has been to see him, and was denied a soul crystal because he did not demonstrate the level headedness needed to control the beast within.

Paladin -- Something definitely very accessible, though there are different restrictions based on what KIND of Paladin you are.

Black Mage -- A very taboo art, accessible to anyone who wants to take the plunge and can get the nasty knowledge they need. 

Bard -- Very accessible, since the job seems to be undergoing a revival thanks to the efforts of the  Warrior of Light and the Bard NPC whose name escapes me. 

Summoner -- Accessible, since there are ancient Allagan ruins popping up like pimples, and it may be easy enough for exavationists to procure the soul crystals. With regard to the primal slaying requirement. Primals are a revolving door, so it's easy to arrange one's character to have had a run in with them -- hell, I've seen people play out SEEKING the primals out to get a chip of their power!

Scholar -- Looks like it's accessible as well, given that the Nymian ruins can be a place where the soul crystals and faeries can be found. It'd just take a bit of clever playing.

Dragoon -- Accessible, though mostly trained in Coerthas. It's very easy for a player to write their character being trained in the art either officially, or by someone who's risking pissing off a lot of people. The AZURE DRAGOON however, is unique. Dragonfire dive is said to have been unique to the Azure, but if people can make replicas of the armor then people can try to recreate the attack based on what the legends say. Even if it's not nearly as effective.

White Mages -- Ah, white mages. I can just smell the boiling blood with this one. You can either go in the NOPE, ONLY PADJAL AND THE WARRIOR OR LIGHT ACCORDING TO THE MSQ route, or the 'Okay so they trusted that guy with it, and as all the other jobs are seeing a revival, it stands to reason that a controlled revival has begun there too. Do as you like! If no one else will roleplay with you, I sure as hell will. It'd be wise to keep the white magery on the down low and controlled, of course. 

There you go! All nine jobs, playable as hell. Enjoy!

This is a perfect sum-up. I agree with it :)

Honestly, the only source of contention is White Mage. You can even be a Dragoon pretty easily as long as you don't run around calling yourself The Slayer The Azure Dragoon.

Summoner looks difficult but it's actually easy enough to bypass, the HARDEST is actually fighting a Primal and not get tempered if your character doesn't have the Echo.

There's a specific process for tempering/drowning/touching/etc, so it's possible for a primal fight to be narrated without the 'tempering' occuring! For Titan-egi it's the easiest to avoid, he doesn't 'temper' at all! It's not so hard after all :D.

Out of all the primals, we've really only seen Ifrit and Leviathan temper. Titan just wants to smash his opposors, Garuda would rather kill them because they won't worship her by choice, Ramuh doesn't care, and King Mog already has his fluffy moogles, why would he want us?

But then you're stuck with Chicken Nuggets for an avatar. And the first thing Ifrit does is try to temper you when he's summoned! It's certainly possible, but don't expect the Faceless RP Public Strawman to accept it.

Trying to play an Echo-less summoner would be silly right from the get-go.

In fact, trying to play as anyone who canonically fought a primal without the Echo is silly. The game gives you the option for a reason, just go ahead and take it. You don't win any points just for refusing to be a Warrior of Light, you know?

This is actually a good point, because I can't argue that there is any lore and proves that the first move a Primal does is Temper. In fact, there is lore to the contrary (Ramuh, Garuda, Titan) and Ifrit may not temper all the time, just that specific fight. If people want to argue that the Primals didn't TRY to Temper their character then I can't argue back.

I'm fine with that though. That's what lore discussion is for!

But then you're stuck with Chicken Nuggets for an avatar. And the first thing Ifrit does is try to temper you when he's summoned! It's certainly possible, but don't expect the Faceless RP Public Strawman to accept it.

Well, the first thing Ifrit does in the MSQ is try to temper the people brought before him -- because they were brought for that specific purpose!

When constructing a narrative -- especially if someone wants to have an Ifrit-Egi, one must be prepared to go beyond that cookie cutter encounter. Perhaps, "WE STORMED TEH_MAJRALAA BAES AND AMBUSH AN' CHUCKED A PEBL AT IFRIT B4 HE COULD TEMPR." It may seem far-fetched, but it isn't impossible, and a valid course of action if a player wants Ifrit-Egi as part of their character's pokemon team.

I took a similar path with Berrod and his memory loss. I had to decide HOW he would discover that he had a few open chakras without the knowledge of what they even were. I made it happen during a thunderstorm in Upper La Noscea when lightning struck him during his training and he didn't die.

It can be a lot of fun crafting unique circumstances to give our characters what we wish for them to have, as long as it isn't ridiculous ("GO, HYDAELYN-EGI!"). 

And sometimes? You just gotta bullshit.

...also I don't like chicken nuggets. My friends call me crazy. PISTOLS AT DAWN, WARREN

In fact, trying to play as anyone who canonically fought a primal without the Echo is silly. The game gives you the option for a reason, just go ahead and take it. You don't win any points just for refusing to be a Warrior of Light, you know?

Some people don't want to be, though. Thats fine, there are ways around it.

Warrior of Light is people with the Echo? I thought WoL was the ones at Carteneau (Who may or may not have the Echo based on how confused his team looks at Derplander whenever he jumps into an Echo memory yet were still skipped ahead)

Don't forget the Company of Heros defeated Titan. Without Echo. It's certainly doable. Maybe not to a small group of average adventurers, but if the primal isn't going to temper, it's feasible to say a mob would take them down. Eventually.

Some people don't want to be, though. Thats fine, there are ways around it.

Warrior of Light is people with the Echo? I thought WoL was the ones at Carteneau (Who may or may not have the Echo based on how confused his team looks at Derplander whenever he jumps into an Echo memory yet were still skipped ahead)

A person with the echo is not necessarily a Warrior of Light. You were correct regarding the tag being given to the adventuring participants at Carteneau, however! So it's perfectly easy to play a character with the echo and not be a super special MSQ hero. In the end, it's your choice!

Don't forget the Company of Heros defeated Titan. Without Echo. It's certainly doable. Maybe not to a small group of average adventurers, but if the primal isn't going to temper, it's feasible to say a mob would take them down. Eventually.

*Tidus.

:lol:

That's right! Titan actually DOESN'T temper. All he wants to do is protect his children. The other primals, as I said before, have specific processes of converting folks -- which a player can choose to have them fail to do.

It gets tricky. Safe to think ALL Warriors of Light had the Echo, but not all Echo users might be Warriors of Light; Everyone in the Scions has the Echo but the Echo manifests in different ways for everyone. We're not even sure if everyone with the Echo is immune to Tempering, we just have good reasons to suspect it - Specifically that it's a gift from Hydaelyn.

So that leads to a new potential issue: We know the Scions are looking for people with that sort of specific aetheric frequency; It's why you just so happened to keep running into your guiding NPC during the opening MSQ. Those Sharlayan goggles make it easy to find out who's force sensi- er, endowed with the Echo. So if you've got it, you've got Important Named People looking for you, too. Sure, they might have just never found you, but it's just one more "hey, wait a minute..." thing that the No Fun Allowed squads will frown upon.

Enh. It's fun to antagonize those sorts. :evil:

I think the main unwritten rule on roleplaying jobs is the same of roleplaying the main scenario: you can do it, just don't brag about it.

I am a black mage IC, and plan on each of my other characters to eventually unlock and RP their respective jobs. And Twelve know how many will want to RP Ninja soon.

Just do it but don't bring it up in chat, and let those you're RPing with decide by themselves if they want to see you as a job RPer or a class RPer. I have not been calling myself a BLM, but used terms such as "I've been practicing the dark arts for many cycles now." or "I exploit thaumaturgy, and the power of black magic within." etc., and surprisingly enough had people call me a Black Mage themselves.

I also have a Lancer alt who is simply obsessed with becoming a Dragoon (he isn't one yet). He's still all too green to down a dragon himself (or even... find one.), but whenever he has expressed his burning desire to become one, I've never received an hairy eye OOC, only very skeptical IC comments due to his awful low experience xD.

Company of the Heroes is there show up that it is possible, since they beat titan!

Also, when the warrior of the light goes to fight some of the primals (ramuh, levi, and mog) the npcs normally tell him to gather a group to fight them. Maybe it is a bit of a plot hole, but since the game itself tells that it is possible, then...!

For my part, I stick to the classes for reference and pretty much do not consider the jobs to be something accessible to roleplay with the exception of the ones that have the very obvious loopholes. it's a lot less confusing and honestly, I don't see the point in having a character that is so powerful that they're basically up there in a league of heroes. Give a character some thraumaturgy powers and I'm positively sure they'd be able to kill a bandit or whatever they feel like throwing stuff at. In Sastra's case though, she doesn't even have a class. Her combat experiences consists of occasionally punching her way through a brawl, and beyond that she can use a bow for hunting purposes (Not so efficient against people). 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sure, there's some jobs you can play and some jobs that would make my character look at you a little weirdly (not to be confused with not wanting to RP with this person, generally speaking I'll always reserve the right for my character to think people are weird, in order to keep the RP flowing), but you don't HAVE to be a very powerful job class thingy in order to have fun, the regular classes do the same thing just as well. So why put yourself up for the hassle? 

But you know, everyone has their preferred cup of tea.

I think we can all agree that certain things are Subjective and certain things are objective.

Subjective: Primals Always Temper, All Warriors of Light have the Echo, etc

Objective: There is only but one Slayer Azure Dragoon born into a generation, Elementals told people who weren't the Padjal to eff off.

I think anything in the subjective pile is interesting to discuss but on an RP stand point your free to play it as fast and loose as you want. Anything Objective is locked behind a lore gate.

This is actually why I like discussing lore, it's my favorite subject after all - player and game lore - , because discussions warrant what is and what is not subjective. As a player you can't possibly know everything and someone else may know something you don't.

I was under the impression that anyone with the Echo is a Warrior of Light by default simply because the Echo IS Hydaelyn's blessing under a different name, and anything blessed by Hydaelyn is in fact blessed under The Light of the Goddess.

As for the problem of being scouted by the Scions, my solution to that was very simple: she doesn't answer to them. They can't force her to join or to take their orders, only encourage her and pressure her to do so. And that can only go so far, especially with certain personality types that aren't prone or obliged towards feats of heroism. She'll still help occasionally, but only when doing so is convenient to her in some way. Pretty simple, really.

This is actually why I like discussing lore, it's my favorite subject after all - player and game lore - , because discussions warrant what is and what is not subjective. As a player you can't possibly know everything and someone else may know something you don't.

This is mainly why I made this question~

Also I think the game makes it clear that there's like... hundreds if not thousands Warriors of Light.

I think we can all agree that certain things are Subjective and certain things are objective.

Subjective: Primals Always Temper, All Warriors of Light have the Echo, etc

Objective: There is only but one Slayer Azure Dragoon born into a generation, Elementals told people who weren't the Padjal to eff off.

I think anything in the subjective pile is interesting to discuss but on an RP stand point your free to play it as fast and loose as you want. Anything Objective is locked behind a lore gate.

Oh! I think It's objective that Primals do not always temper, since Titan doesn't temper at all. Could rephrase it to, *Named Primals* Always temper.

...on another vein...I wonder if Ramuh always tempers, or if he does trials by combat a lot...THINGS TO THINK ABOUT MMM LORE

I was under the impression that anyone with the Echo is a Warrior of Light by default simply because the Echo IS Hydaelyn's blessing under a different name, and anything blessed by Hydaelyn is in fact blessed under The Light of the Goddess.

As for the problem of being scouted by the Scions, my solution to that was very simple: she doesn't answer to them. They can't force her to join or to take their orders, only encourage her and pressure her to do so. And that can only go so far, especially with certain personality types that aren't prone or obliged towards feats of heroism. She'll still help occasionally, but only when doing so is convenient to her in some way. Pretty simple, really.

Not quite. Echo awakenings happened en-masse in 1.0 (which we're supposed to take as like a prequal now), but not everyone used it to fight primals. The only people that get the WoL disgnation are the 1.0 players that were in the Battle of Carteneau or the players that take the MSQ as their lore. (Or at least the Echo and game-beating parts of it).

It gets tricky. Safe to think ALL Warriors of Light had the Echo, but not all Echo users might be Warriors of Light; Everyone in the Scions has the Echo but the Echo manifests in different ways for everyone. We're not even sure if everyone with the Echo is immune to Tempering, we just have good reasons to suspect it - Specifically that it's a gift from Hydaelyn.

So that leads to a new potential issue: We know the Scions are looking for people with that sort of specific aetheric frequency; It's why you just so happened to keep running into your guiding NPC during the opening MSQ. Those Sharlayan goggles make it easy to find out who's force sensi- er, endowed with the Echo. So if you've got it, you've got Important Named People looking for you, too. Sure, they might have just never found you, but it's just one more "hey, wait a minute..." thing that the No Fun Allowed squads will frown upon.

Enh. It's fun to antagonize those sorts. :evil:

Who's to say they didn't find your character and they just declined the offer? :D

Warriors of Light are actually the players/adventurers pre calamity, who no one can remember because of the blinding light surrounding them whenever someone tries to remember them. Having the echo or not is a completely different thing. I wouldn't be surprise if one or ten warriors of light are just your beat of the mill heroes that was saved from bahamut by lousioix.

EDIT: Oh, Warren beat me to it.....still!

Not quite. Echo awakenings happened en-masse in 1.0 (which we're supposed to take as like a prequal now), but not everyone used it to fight primals. The only people that get the WoL disgnation are the 1.0 players that were in the Battle of Carteneau or the players that take the MSQ as their lore. (Or at least the Echo and game-beating parts of it).

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Warriors_of_Light#Final_Fantasy_XIV

Near completion of the main plot, the Scions of the Seventh Dawn and all player characters (i.e. including those created in Realm Reborn) are referred to as Warriors of Light by the leaders of the Grand Companies. The player character is referred to as a Warrior of Light specifically by Hydaelyn.

I will continue to contend that anyone with the Echo is a WoL simply by association with Hydaelyn.