Poll: Au Ra and your character, what will you do?

Blue

How are you going to RP an Au Ra?  

251 members have voted

1. 1. How are you going to RP an Au Ra?

• I'll just make one. I've got free character slots!
    • Killing/MIAin' my character, and Fantasia/Name change into an Au Ra.
    • My character will be ICly transformed through magic, curses or potions. Name and personality won't change.
    • ICly drinking/transforming, but mind will be affected too. Only name will stay the same.
    • My character was an Au Ra from the beginning, just very good at hiding horns. I'll discuss retconning with friends who may have seen them.
    • Eh, I'll stick to my original race for now.

Well... I have a level 50 Dragoon/33 Warrior who goes by my regular online handle: Henna Lang. I never really figured out what kind of character she was going to be for RP purposes, so she's pretty much a blank slate. She'll be turned into an Au Ra with the unused Phantasia in her inventory, and I'll also purchase a name change for her. I'm hoping the naming conventions aren't... to tight around the Au Ra... I'm pretty set on a name already. I would assume they wouldn't have crazy and extremely different naming conventions since they're essentially a crossbreed, right? Like... Elezen and Hyur-ish names, right?

The backstory of the race IS a dragon and Elezen or Hyur gettin' down in funky town, riiiight?

Oh well. Time will tell.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Torn right now.  We'll see where the landscape is in a few months.  Retiring (not necessarily killing off) Eva, or making an alt character out of her and respeccing (fantasia + name change) to be a male Au Ra character is a very real possibility.  We already have two characters (one of whom doesn't see very much play time at all) and I'm not sure how I feel about leveling another and going through all the MSQ again.  Maybe.  Want to know more info before making any big decisions.  :thumbsup:  But going Au Ra main is not off the table for us.

I hate playing alts. One reason why I like FFXIV is because I can consolidate everything onto one character. And I want to try playing Au'ra.

I find the transformation plot device a bit distasteful though so I'm swinging back and forth. I might just end up killing Nero off; anyone who's read his arc up to this point can reasonably see that as the only way it ends. And that'd mean getting to reuse any of his character points I never properly established.

It'll probably be a  considerable maybe for me right now because I don't know a thing about this race's lore and also the fact that  one  part of a model won't give me a good judgement on whether the female Au Ra seems attractive or not. Though the trailer one does look quite cute regardless.

I've played through the main story three times now. There are limits to my sanity.

I know the pain; my Au Ra would actually be the 5th character who goes through the main story for me, but I'm willing to endure that, haha.

I've been thinking... the main story doesn't really make sense from an Au Ra perspective. Do you think there's a possibility that Au Ra might have their own story? If that were the case, perhaps using Fantasia wouldn't be possible with them (?). It's just a thought.

I've played through the main story three times now. There are limits to my sanity.

I know the pain; my Au Ra would actually be the 5th character who goes through the main story for me, but I'm willing to endure that, haha.

I've been thinking... the main story doesn't really make sense from an Au Ra perspective. Do you think there's a possibility that Au Ra might have their own story? If that were the case, perhaps using Fantasia wouldn't be possible with them (?). It's just a thought.

Well isn't the basis of the story from the first cutscene: You're a traveler from *Undefined* Who may or may not even have ever been to your starter city of choice before?

That can be slapped onto pretty much anything. Granted its been a while since I watched it, so feel free to correct me if my memory is off.

I'd expect at most a handwave, and maybe some altered dialogue to let them know they're a-okay with the au ra, then move on as usual. A full on new storyline for them right from level 1 is probably too much work, but there will likely be acknowledgement of their existence in 2.5 at earliest, and most certainly some degree of discussion in the 50-60 storyline. Not to mention that from a business standpoint, they really want as many people as possible to fantasia to the new race, preferably also fantasia back when the new-race dazzle wears off!

Edit: Also I just remembered why I came to this thread again. They're really growing on me as time passes, so I've already transitioned to "I am definitely making one no doubt" now. I want their run cycle and walk cycles.

A second edit: Not to mention its especially unlikely for them to make a new race not be fantasia-capable in a game thats as alt unfriendly as this one. Lets be honest, aside from RP there's little to no incentive to make multiple characters.

The whole Yugiri story would have to be changed, as right now she's supposed to be the first Au Ra to step into Eorzea. They could just make her display her face from the beginning, but some dialog would have to change as well. If they leave things as they are now, it'll be strange.

I'm considering creating a random troll character right now and levelling them up while I wait for Au Ra, so that I can Fantasia this character later on. But I think I'll wait until we get a confirmation regarding the possibility to use Fantasia. SE can be a bit unpredictable sometimes, I don't want to risk it.

The whole Yugiri story would have to be changed, as right now she's supposed to be the first Au Ra to step into Eorzea. They could just make her display her face from the beginning, but some dialog would have to change as well. If they leave things as they are now, it'll be strange.

I'm considering creating a random troll character right now and levelling them up while I wait for Au Ra, so that I can Fantasia this character later on. But I think I'll wait until we get a confirmation regarding the possibility to use Fantasia. SE can be a bit unpredictable sometimes, I don't want to risk it.

Thats a really obvious point that entirely slipped my mind during the last post (a good one as well, mind you). I know the timelines are kind of muddled with class / job vs main story (Hi nins where they're already here at level 30 for new characters!), but it would be pretty strange for them to leave timeline messed up like that without it even being outside of the main story quest.

Everyone is going to use Fantasias? Will I be the only lv 1 newbie Au Ra? ;_;

Looks likes you're stuck with me as company again.... (_ _)

I'll be making a level 1. I guess it just becomes more of a matter of if our level ones run into each other. v:(v

As much as Yugiri claims to be the first Au Ra in Eorzea, we shouldn't forget that Columbus did much of the same, while now we know that vikings did see the Americas long before him. I wouldn't call it a stretch to theorize that maybe some Au Ras did get here in the past, and maybe just were never heard of on a big scale. People travel, and always have.

As for my own questions about the race, I'm mostly wondering about their age spans. Dragons by stereotype live for centuries, and I admit I'd be very intrigued to RP a secular character... :geek:

Right now I'm playing with the idea of making a DRK Au Ra who hunts down Dragoons to protect dragons and dravanians xD A nice alter ego to my strict Ishgardian Wildwood.

Depends for me. I may change some of my characters to an Au Ra and start from scratch (actually waiting for the lore for some of my characters to decide on whether or not I change them/make them as an Au Ra) or just stick to the race I gave them.

Either way, I'm definitely making an Au Ra character alone and will make some of my current characters Au Ra if it's suiting.

THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING! \o/ "They see me rollin'... They hatin'..."

But yeah, for realsies dood! OuO Or like, an organization of kunoichi. Basically a rip-off of what Mochizuki Chiyome did.

We'll see where the lore goes, but I've been waiting for this moment all of my Ninja career. *Sparkly eyes*

Kitty!

You makin' me wanna roll an alt!!

KITTY!!

STAAAAHP!!

No, but seriously, I would join the shit out of a kunoichi organization.... OuO

I have a Hyuran Doman thats a warrior-miko... not quite a ninja... more like a battle-shamaness I guess.

So, I was thinking about all the folks suddenly either making Au Ra or having one of their characters change into one. And I was reminded of something. I couldn't find the actual clip, so enjoy the next best thing - a TF2 recreation:

abbeSIRNHqg

• 3 months later...

Let's bump this, now that we know the Au Ra clans: Raen and Xaela. Raen (the ones with a more human-like complexion) have Japanese-like names (so like Yugiri and the ninjas), while we don't know much about the Xaela (the ones with Duskwight-like complexion).

Damn, I prefer the Raen by looks, but I hate the names they use. Let's just hope Xaela Au Ra can have normal skin.

Let's bump this, now that we know the Au Ra clans: Raen and Xaela. Raen (the ones with a more human-like complexion) have Japanese-like names (so like Yugiri and the ninjas), while we don't know much about the Xaela (the ones with Duskwight-like complexion).

Damn, I prefer the Raen by looks, but I hate the names they use. Let's just hope Xaela Au Ra can have normal skin.

To be exact, here's what was said on the forums:

"Au Ra Raen and Au Ra Xaela. Au Ra Raen have been closely related to the Domans for long time, so their names are somewhat Japanese-like. The Xaela on the other hand have led a nomadic lifestyle for some time, and they have a unique naming convention."

So that's a little info to start concept-crafting!