Where did you start RPing?

Desu Nee

I started roleplaying about two years ago in World of Warcraft and I'm slowly moving away from it to devote my time completely to the gameplay and RP in Final Fantasy. While I'm not a huge fan of Warlords of Draenor, I run a guild that has a heavy fanon setting, and that is what is keeping me around.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got into RP on FFXIV. My friend "owned" property in costa del sol ICly(ithink) and she wanted help getting this guy off of it.. So I made up a character on the spot and the goal was to try and get him to come back to my inn room.. Wow. Okay that sounds rather pathetic.. BUT IN MY DEFENSE!! I really care for my friends(even though we arent friends anymore. ; _ ;) so I'd do the stupidest shit if it meant I helped with a thing. @w@; I've been writing fanfics for over like 10 years.. but never had a nice community or game to RP in, so Thank you FFXIV and RPC for making a great RP community!<3

(along with tons of other reasons behind social anixety, shyness, etc..)

I started making characters and discussing them/planning how they interact with friend's characters when I was on neopets (lol) about 11 years ago. Does that count as RP, I'm not sure? 

Otherwise, I still haven't actually had a proper IC conversation. One day! :P

My very first RP was with some friends who introduced me to roleplay. I was around 15 I think (oh god I feel really old suddenly) and they created a short plot with some premade characters out of any tabletop to make me comfortable, after that we began to play the vampire / werewolf / mage triad and all :) .

BUT ! Before even that, I was already writing stories and continuing stories I was reading (some of those not going in the direction I wanted them to), I think I began to do that at around 7 or 8.. In fact I can't remember when I did NOT do that (I still do, please books, be more compliant, thank you). So RP was a new way to build stories for me, this time with friends. And it was extremely fun :) .

I had my RP beginnings in a little-known text-based game called GemStone III (I believe it's still around now and called GS4) as a half-elvan empath.  This was probably circa 1993-1994.  I had Prodigy ISP back then and remember switching to AOL when it went free to play for awhile before they pulled it and began charging a monthly rate.  I think games like that nowadays (or similar) are called MUD/MUSH but I don't really get into that scene.

This is only a little amusing to me lately since Golden Saucer recently came out and everyone acronyms it 'GS' and even now some 20-someodd years later my mind still equates GS with GemStone.  :blush:

I do this, too, but then again I still reactivate on GS4 every now and then. Slightly off topic, but in the coming weeks they are going to begin offering F2P options to new accounts. Some restrictions apply, like no empaths on free accounts (due to huge potential for abuse) but overall seems an attractive option.

GS3 and SSI's Neverwinter Nights back on AOL were my first forays into online RP, and I haven't looked back. :)

I was probably twelve when I had first jumped into the world of role play. I joined a LOTR proboards which did roleplay and during that time I was also casually roleplaying on a habbo hotel clone called Coke Music, or Coke Studios? I have no clue what it was called but I did enjoy it for some time. Although I had started pretty young my role play days had ended when I left that forum and coke studios closed down. The next time I would RP was when I joined SWTOR which really had me hooked until I came over to FFXIV.

I started in D&D. A long time ago. Longer than it ought to be :)

It was pen and paper because you know what.. there were no personal computers back then :)

1997, my boyfriend at the time got me into Vampire: The Masquerade.

I had no idea you could rp on the internet, though I had had it since 1995 (Most of my time on the internet at the time was spent in mIRC chat rooms talking about Savage Garden. Look, man... I was a teenager). Though when I heard about Everquest, I just assumed everyone RPed on MMO's and found that pretty fascinating, so when I played by first MMO (FFXI, 2003) I was a derp who assumed everyone was rping and started an rp ls on my server.

MMO wise I suppose my first real dive into RP was an old game called Tibia. In that game you could kill other players/steal their items. That is also where I first started using the name Arimar and it kinda stuck around since. After that I jumped into EQ1.

Wow, you guys have a lot of time doing rp. I was just passing by and reading some posts. (I haven't rp and I have only play mmos with friends to lvl up and do dungeons/mvp fights xP).

Oh yeah what I was going to say: keep up the good job guys. I have been watching people rping in game and it looks so cool =]! 

It s fun playing and watching you guys acting with your characters ^^

I want to count dressing up as Sailor Moon and fighting bad guys -siblings- as LARPing.

But Alas, :love: I started roleplaying on World of Warcraft, I have about three years of experience from there!

animaatjes-sailor-moon-2574511.gif

Everyone's a RPer from childhood! :thumbsup:

THERE'S A MONSTER IN THE CLOSET, I'M GONNA SHOOT IT WITH MY LASER PEW PEW!

I want to count dressing up as Sailor Moon and fighting bad guys -siblings- as LARPing.

But Alas, :love: I started roleplaying on World of Warcraft, I have about three years of experience from there!

animaatjes-sailor-moon-2574511.gif

Everyone's a RPer from childhood! :thumbsup:

THERE'S A MONSTER IN THE CLOSET, I'M GONNA SHOOT IT WITH MY LASER PEW PEW!

Ahaha, that we are!