Fought Garuda for the First Time...

Madda

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mamushi is surprised that this was Madda's first Garuda fight. Madda has been around for a long time, what has Madda been doing?

Mamushi can 2-man Garuda EX. 8-)

With enough practice and gil for repairs, Madda can too.

Mamushi is surprised that this was Madda's first Garuda fight. Madda has been around for a long time, what has Madda been doing?

4c7u4lly, 4 l07 0f p30pl3 c0n51d3r 570ry 64rud4 7h3 h4rd357 0n3 0f 7h3 bunch, b3c4u53 7h3 l3v3l 5ync 15 much 716h73r.

Back in 2.0 when I was leveling Berrod, our group kept wiping to Garuda's limit break, even though we managed to keep a decent number of the rocks up. What we ended up doing was grinding to 45 to get the four pieces of Artifact gear. That gear gave us a significant boost and made the trial lots easier! We were able to endure the damage and push on. Gear matters for Garuda Normal!

You can always do an undersized party of non-synced folks, but where's the fun in that?

Sometimes, it's not about fun.

It's about getting it out of the way because it doesn't reward jack.

Don't forget holding you up on advancing the MSQ as well.

Don't listen to these yahoos, they did it without the sync option! It's a game, it's always supposed to be about fun! BACK OFF, GRUMPY GRANDPAS.

Seriously though, it's up to your personal preference. If you just want it out of the way to advance in the MSQ, grab two other level 60 folks for an unsynced undersized party! If you'd like to experience the fight to something close to the fullest (and win lol), Unlock Dzemael Darkhold, get yourself to 45, do your Artifact Gear quest and jump back in there! Either way is viable, and you get it done. It's just a matter of how you want to do it.

Have fun!

If I'm around when you need it I'd be happy to unsync smash for you. Or even sync'd. I won't really DPS it synced but I def can do dps unsynced. >.>; I can fill any role if you need.

Garuda Normal can be quite a trial for those new to it or to those who don't have experience with healing. Healers tend to focus on needing to get heals out and get smashed in the face when they don't see her telegraphs. Also some people needlessly stand by the stones.... and tanks do not mitigate or avoid avoidable damage (Slipstream come on)

Most of the Garuda fight mechanics are about looking at her model and being in a good place. The other part is the dps putting out burst dps.

If you can, definitely recommend going the extra level and getting level 45 Job stuffs.

4c7u4lly, 4 l07 0f p30pl3 c0n51d3r 570ry 64rud4 7h3 h4rd357 0n3 0f 7h3 bunch, b3c4u53 7h3 l3v3l 5ync 15 much 716h73r.

This man is correct. While Titan will punish you for not having situational awareness and Landslides, and Ifrit will wipe you if you fail to notice the nail, Garuda has multiple phases that will out and out kill anyone-not-a-tank in the form of Mistral, plus exploding plumes that must be dealt with swiftly, plus the overall "hope you sure got gud" panic after rocks blow up and she keeps using Mistral.

While most other encounters can be grunted through if one role is lacking, Garuda is the first to really make the fight nearly unwinnable if you've got a bad healer, or a bad tank, or bad DPS.

Berrod's got sound advice, too: Hitting 45 and snagging your free AF gear goes a long way, especially if you're still running about in whites or sub-40 pinks.

Yeah, getting to 45 to get the AF gear is imperative to not die to Aerial Blast (unless you're the tank, but in that case you'd need the AF to not die from every other attack). Also, the 45 ability can be really helpful too, depending on the job (SCH and Sacred Soil, NIN and Jin mudra, WHM and Holy, and others).

I think it is the hardest normal primal for new players, and arguably hard mode is easier now due to gear inflation. I suggest you level a crafter high enough to repair in dungeon though; there's no way you had to run it that many times... Right?

I've...never had this issue. I wiped once on my first run because I didn't know she changed the location at which she fires Mistral...but I've never had any issues.

Maybe it's because I have Succor and Selene on tap? I don't understand what the big deal is... why are people dying?

For that matter, why do people leave the giant whale immediately after entering the instance? What could be worth a half-hour ban from dungeons? I have NEVER seen a party wipe in there, and have never felt it was any harder than any other Primal fight.

FYI I main SCH.

I've...never had this issue. I wiped once on my first run because I didn't know she changed the location at which she fires Mistral...but I've never had any issues.

Maybe it's because I have Succor and Selene on tap? I don't understand what the big deal is... why are people dying?

For that matter, why do people leave the giant whale immediately after entering the instance? What could be worth a half-hour ban from dungeons? I have NEVER seen a party wipe in there, and have never felt it was any harder than any other Primal fight.

FYI I main SCH.

I've had two party wipes on Bismark. Our DPS was bad and they could not kill those snakes fast enough. I was sad. The second after we got to the last phase no one was activating the harpoons, so adds kept spawning and dps wasn't killing them fast enough, it was crazy. I was yelling get the damn harpoons. As I was starting to hold more and more ads because they where not killing them fast enough. It was a nightmare. I have no idea how that group made it to the second half of that fight.

And here I was lamenting how Garuda was the only duty that was challenging enough to be any fun... 

*goes back to playing Dark Souls*

Overcoming challenge: Fun

Wiping to the first Mistral for 45 minutes because the healer can't understand "Get behind the rock" = Decidedly not fun

Remember when tank lb was a thing? Now it isn't. I remember when it was once a thing.

Garuda story mode has been arguably harder than Hard mode since.... something like a year+ ago. I remember asking in Reddit for a better BLM burst at that moment and people suggested timing a freeze or Fire 2 +Swift Fire 2

FYI I main SCH.

Healer, especially SCH, is actually one of the better roles to be good at when queueing into Garuda. Your heals are pretty good and there are a ton of WHMs who aren't... well great. A bad WHM will get wrecked by Garuda super fast, either because they don't pay attention to Garuda's telegraphs or because they over compensated healing and ran out of MP. Too many WHMs will run into Garuda spamming Cure II that by the last phase they can't do squat cause they're out of MP and don't know how to recover. Not to say a great WHM won't wreck Garuda but there are far more "bad" WHM who go into Garuda than I have seen Scholars.

And regarding Bismarck, you have not seen the amount of bad DPS. Multiple wipes and vote abandons to both Ravana and Bismarck because people can't kill things in time.

I've had two party wipes on Bismark. Our DPS was bad and they could not kill those snakes fast enough. I was sad. The second after we got to the last phase no one was activating the harpoons, so adds kept spawning and dps wasn't killing them fast enough, it was crazy. I was yelling get the damn harpoons. As I was starting to hold more and more ads because they where not killing them fast enough. It was a nightmare. I have no idea how that group made it to the second half of that fight.

I would say that it was mostly in the beginning of 3.0's launch where I had more wipes to Ravana and/or Bismarck. As tank I've had times where I was the one to grab harpoons because... no one else did. -_- The worst feeling is being in bismarck and not knowing how well you took down the snake adds. "This feels a long time" leaves you with dread so you wonder if you're about to get swallowed by him or if you're going to survive.

I've had wipes on Ravana after seeing seven swords go down.

SEVEN.

My immediate response to this was wanting to find that dog meme pic where it just looks shocked and like, fuck I'm taking a step back holy shite.

They never hit one of the butterflies omgawd wow D:

Thanks to all for your advice and such. Guess it's only hard because Madda's the lowest level you can be to do it. That and Madda's never been in a situation healingwise where you have so much to heal and interrupts and LoS to deal with. 

Sorry for venting. Madda shall git gud.