The Pokémon Thread!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mega Rayquaza or gtfo

Way too overpowered. Invalid choice. o:

That's the beauty of him!

Rayquaza tho honestly was a must have legendary for me ever since emerald.

The only other Legendary I found on par with his badass was Giritina.

Shadow Dragon op. Grievous orb op.

Clio senpai, you enjoy the game, that's all that really matters. :)

As for favorite Pokémon, while there's a lot, one that I'd like to point out is Togekiss. What surprised me was how cute little Togepi turned into a force to be reckoned with. 

What about favorite moves? 

I like Aura Sphere, seeing as it's the highest powered no miss move. Plus the animation is pretty cool. And the idea of projecting your aura into an attack is even cooler.

lul erik watches some of the online matches on youtube and i'm like "how are they knowing all this stuff? @__@; " sometimes cause they have plans for like every move a pokemon might have and i'm over in my corner going "use water gun or whatever :D " (not that bad but it feels like it xD)

i really really really liked grass knot. i had it on my teeny tiny roserade (named ragweed) and i loved sending it out on stuff like onyx cause it would usually 1hit ko it. she won a few pageants too x3

Mega Rayquaza or gtfo

Way too overpowered. Invalid choice. o:

That's the beauty of him!

Rayquaza tho honestly was a must have legendary for me ever since emerald.

The only other Legendary I found on par with his badass was Giritina.

Shadow Dragon op. Grievous orb op.

Mega Giratina op! 

Rayquaza was my favorite legendary for a long time considering that the very first Pokémon game I played was Ruby. 

Considering Mega Rayquaza and his method of mega evolving, it gets you thinking. Are we going to get more mega evolution methods? :o

Considering Mega Rayquaza and his method of mega evolving, it gets you thinking. Are we going to get more mega evolution methods? :o

I hope so!  I would love to see some extra methods in future games that are more than just "go here, get stone, done".  Maybe a quest line or certain conditions needing to be met (not unlike the Delta Episode) to get a move, item or whatever is required.

Aww dang I went to bed and missed two pages

Pokemon merch is frustrating! I mean, it makes sense that they would sell whatever's popular, but I tend to like unpopular things. I don't like keeping plushes, but I would probably get a nidoran plush.

I wonder how popular kangaskhan is in Japan? i like her mega but never ended up using it. I'm indecisive about megas ;.;

In Japan? I'm not really sure. I know Japan kicked our asses at Worlds in 2015 because they brought their mega Kangaskhan and we didn't. (Among other things, but mega Kangaskhan was a big one that nobody expected, for some reason!) Apparently the US meta thought it'd be like 2014, where everybody was expecting mega Kangaskhan counters, thus nobody brought mega Kangaskhan.

In 2014 the VGC meta was entirely different though, because only Pokemon from the pre-E4 Kalos Pokedex were allowed. In 2015 Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire came out, and the banlist busted wide open to allow everything but the cover-legendaries + event-only legendaries + Mewtwo, so Japan brought their Landorus-T, their Heatran, their Cresselia... and their mega Kangaskhan.

Honestly I liked the 2014 VGC meta better because the limited pool of Pokemon gave less popular Pokemon a time to shine, because their stronger counterparts were banned- and we got stuff like Pachirisu winning Worlds, which only worked on account of the very specific circumstances. You'd have to tailor very specific stat setups on your Pokemon to counter very specific things, and take your opponents by surprise... and that was a lot of fun. Now that practically all the Pokemon are allowed it's just the regular old 252/252/4 EV setup for a lot of Pokemon, you try to go wide with your teams instead of there being so few Pokemon that there are specific threats.

I don't think less of people who use the same four or five strong Pokemon on their teams, like some people seem to, that's just the nature of the competitive game. If you want to do well you use the best tools provided for you. I feel like a lot of the USA VGC community is searching for That One Pokemon that nobody would expect that's going to become the Next Big Thing in the metagame and get hung up on it because they want to be "original", whereas the Japanese VGC community is a lot more connected than ours is, they share their teams a lot more and they're less secretive, and they also have a lot more local grassroots tournaments- easier because they're smaller geographically I suppose. Their metagame progresses a lot faster than ours and ours is always trying to keep up with theirs when practically all we can do is google translate their blogs... xD

Apparently in 2016 VGC, Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza are in, including their mega-evolved forms. I'm interested in seeing how that goes but I can only see it being completely centralizing and everybody using it or using things to beat everybody else's.

sorry I turned that into a tangent about the VGC I just like talking about the VGC and wish I didn't need hundreds of dollars and lots of gasoline to compete

I think Mega Rayquaza was meant to be the ultimate (at least for now), absolutely broken Pokèmon to show what a -legendary- Pokèmon is about. Not just a rare Pokèmon, but a force to be reckoned with.

Also, it's more satisfying to beat them when they're overpowered.

Well unless you got a mega rayquaza right with them or you are pulling some sleep shenenigans, I wish you well cause that shit is not pretty in anything goes tier xD

I dunno if my post conveyed this at all but I'm much more interested in double battles/VGC than the Smogon meta. oAo Not to excuse all of the Pokemon team's mistakes (letting primal Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza into VGC? really?), but a lot of the things that are found to be overly centralizing and powerful in singles are much more balanced in doubles. Kangaskhan included.

I think Mega Rayquaza was meant to be the ultimate (at least for now), absolutely broken Pokèmon to show what a -legendary- Pokèmon is about. Not just a rare Pokèmon, but a force to be reckoned with.

Also, it's more satisfying to beat them when they're overpowered.

Well unless you got a mega rayquaza right with them or you are pulling some sleep shenenigans, I wish you well cause that shit is not pretty in anything goes tier xD

Yeah, it's borderline impossible to beat that thing lol

I want to win with a full team of Smeargles.

Smeargle was actually a thing in 2014 VGC and was really interesting to play around.

I actually have an old replay from a practice battle I did with one of my old teams back then. I don't have a capture card so it's a crappy phone recording

I ended up ditching Meowstic as a support later for the more offensive Mienshao, but Meowstic was a force to be reckoned with.

you can hear Fyrilsunn talking in the background rofl

I dunno if my post conveyed this at all but I'm much more interested in double battles/VGC than the Smogon meta. oAo Not to excuse all of the Pokemon team's mistakes (letting primal Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza into VGC? really?), but a lot of the things that are found to be overly centralizing and powerful in singles are much more balanced in doubles. Kangaskhan included.

I don't get into competitive games anymore, usually because of meta. When I have to pick certain good characters over certain bad characters, I lose interest. Hence, I just kinda breed pokemon just to pop out things with good stats, but then they go sit in the box.

I don't get into competitive games anymore, usually because of meta. When I have to pick certain good characters over certain bad characters, I lose interest. Hence, I just kinda breed pokemon just to pop out things with good stats, but then they go sit in the box.

I like to follow the meta and battle occasionally, but I do find breeding to be a lot more fun. I'd often breed stuff for friends and trade away the extra, slightly imperfect ones. I have some very special shiny babies... uwu I'm kinda the same way in MTG. I like the brewing and building process a lot more than playing, usually, but I'll play a little bit to get the satisfaction of my build being successful.

The most fun I had in a semi-competitive environment was a Pokemon league hosted on tumblr in which I was a normal type gym leader, and I enforced VGC-esque rules in my gym- Item Clause (each Pokemon has to be holding something different) and double battles. I named all my Pokemon after A Song of Ice and Fire characters. I actually rarely used my mega Kangaskhan, my Braviary was my MVP.

Unfortunately that league went inactive after a season or two. I really miss it!

I like to follow the meta and battle occasionally, but I do find breeding to be a lot more fun. I'd often breed stuff for friends and trade away the extra, slightly imperfect ones. I have some very special shiny babies... uwu I'm kinda the same way in MTG. I like the brewing and building process a lot more than playing, usually, but I'll play a little bit to get the satisfaction of my build being successful.

I enjoyed breeding 5IV things, naming them, and wonder trading them off. I'm one of those tools that believes heavily in nicknames, and I tend to collect nicknamed pokemon that come to me in trade, or I'll seek them out on the GTS. I wish I found enough with good stats that I would raise and use.

I wish the trading factor were a bit stronger in this game. As it is, I feel like you kinda trade to get something, then you go and breed from it and make it your own. What I've done sometimes is breed from a nicknamed pokemon I got in a trade, but pass on the same nickname to all of its kids, and hang onto the parent's original nature. I have a few kids from doing that.

I enjoyed breeding 5IV things, naming them, and wonder trading them off. I'm one of those tools that believes heavily in nicknames, and I tend to collect nicknamed pokemon that come to me in trade, or I'll seek them out on the GTS. I wish I found enough with good stats that I would raise and use.

I wish the trading factor were a bit stronger in this game. As it is, I feel like you kinda trade to get something, then you go and breed from it and make it your own. What I've done sometimes is breed from a nicknamed pokemon I got in a trade, but pass on the same nickname to all of its kids, and hang onto the parent's original nature. I have a few kids from doing that.

The VGC community, when I was more active in it, often bred battle-ready Pokemon and traded them around to eachother. I'd trade those and the extras for people who needed a shot of stats in their own breeding stock. I feel trading should be supported more in the ingame mechanics some way, though.

Another thing... For a while there was a program that actually let you check the stats of eggs, even the hidden ones like the SIV and the PID, and people would use it to see the ID of their eggs and find people whose games had a matching SIV so they could hatch their eggs for eachother and they'd hatch shiny, then they'd trade them back. People would make lists of all their extra eggs and their eggs' SIDs and make the lists public, and they could be claimed by peoples whose game's ID matched. That was really cool! Unfortunately the same technology could be used to read your opponents' teams in online battles so the loophole was patched out after a couple weeks.

I'm really happy that all you trainers are enjoying this thread. :)

I wish I had 5 iv Pokés to breed with and stuffs. ;c

Do you want anything to start with?

I was fortunate enough to get a 6iv feebas through breeding, and I kinda started using him as stock for others. Branched out into his two egg groups, then from those kids into others. I'd love to get a 6iv in each egg group, but it comes down to gambling.

I was fortunate enough to get a 6iv feebas through breeding, and I kinda started using him as stock for others. Branched out into his two egg groups, then from those kids into others. I'd love to get a 6iv in each egg group, but it comes down to gambling.

I could help with that process! With Power-Items and the Destiny Knot, anything is possible! :D

I stopped picking up Pokemon games after X and Y just because I had run out of "ideas." But even after the first game I started just running gimmick teams that amused me. I had a full Eeveelution team in the original Silver, for example. FireRed was only Pokemon given or purchased, Pearl was my Nuzlocke run, Black was my Bug Trainer run, and X was Dark-only.

My favorite, though, was probably my SoulSilver team and one I'd probably try to remake if I picked up the latest one. An entire team that learned Explosion - Exeggutor, Electrode, Camerupt, Cloyster, Forretress, and Muk. There was something amusing about being able to just say "SCREW THIS" at any moment in battles with friends and just start a chain reaction of death. It was ruined by Damp, but most of my friends didn't run a Damp Pokemon until they had run into my team a couple times. :lol:

But if you have a 6 iv Ditto, aren't all your worries gone?