ENG Stormblood Launch Trailer - Spoiler-y???!!!

Kage

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I firmly barely cared about any of the Scions, and now this...I don't want anyone to die, yet I know with war approaching someone will have to sacrifice. I even cared about Alisaie for a second there. What are these emotions?! Imagine they are showing us this now, but we will literally have to wait patches and patches for possible retribution on some of these bigger plot points. Torture.

I do really love this war narrative they have created, a sort of microcosm to grow their greater themes in, and show the hardships of the everyday people ruled by Garleans that have a taste for the more sadistic. I can't wait to crush the Empire as time goes on.

I don't think you tip your hand in a trailer like this, so I think it is the same as happens so often in movie trailers, it is likely a tease to make us go "Oh no! I have to see what happens!" But it would be too big a deal to give away in a trailer. I think. (I hope.)

If you play Revolutions with the launch trailer you can see extra snips off the launch trailer scene. For example Yugiri is present in the same scene with Y'shtola, this is not shown in the launch trailer but it is shown in Revolutions. I don't think SE would make two scenes off the same scene at two separate times.

Well, historically whenever a 'death' is shown in a FFXIV trailer it has almost always been a bait and switch. Y'shtola is also the mascot character for FFXIV so it's highly unlikely that the developers will be bold enough to kill her off for good. At most, I expect that she'll be injured and spend some time recovering.

I do hope for some major deaths, though. It's sorely needed to reduce character bloat and to ensure that the antagonists are actually allowed to be competent rather than beaten back and prevented from enacting their plans at almost every turn.

The trailer is intriguing, though. I'm hoping there's a lot of focus on the horrors of war and that the Eorzeans and their allies go too far to the point where Garlemald ends up becoming more justified in terms of their own assault. After all, at this point the Eorzeans are the opportunistic aggressors as of Baelsar's Wall...and whilst diplomacy would likely fail, I hope there's dire consequences for not trying to make use of it given that the horrors of war are going to get a lot of people killed across the board.

#based Zenos finishing what Lolorito started.

What's up with his weird sword dispenser?

They modeled Zenos after Raven Branwen duh

b-3f2p53Bp0

[link=https://youtu.be/b-3f2p53Bp0?t=1m23s]1 min 23 mark[/link]

As a former screenwriting major, a general rule of thumb is that if a character death is teased in a trailer it's always a red herring. Be concerned for the characters that are only shown briefly.

Krile, for instance. @4:08, the door closing on her is quite ominous. She has a peaceful yet resigned look on her face. She's a Lalafell, and we've had at least one important Lalafellin NPC killed off in ARR and HW. And it's the only time she shows up in the trailer.

Alisaie and Yugiri both have similar defeated/blood splattery snippets @4:26. I expect a lot of character injury coming out of what will probably be a doomed Ala Mhigan Resistance vs Garlean Empire battle. Even WoL gets knocked down @2:04 continuing @5:11.

I don't expect they'll kill off more Scions this quickly though. Papalymo's death already felt cheap. At this point, bleeding Scions is just getting old. They seem to be the only characters SE is willing to kill off. Hopefully they'll get more creative. /stares at Yugiri. Yeah, sorry Yugiri, you lead your people to safety, you returned with us to the Far East so we've upheld our bargain to help take back your home, and now that we've access to Othard you don't serve much narrative purpose anymore. . . We have Gosetsu now.

Garlemald ends up becoming more justified

I'm genuinely curious as to what it would take to make an unapologetically genocidal, aggressively expansionist empire that utilizes chattel slavery "more justified".

Shades of grey, which exist unless you willingly choose to ignore the passages in the Encyclopedia Eorzea detailing the reasons behind Garlemald's rise to prominence in the first place. There's also the simple fact that both Gaius and Regula have been painted as very nuanced. The latter even going so far as to sacrifice himself to aid the Warrior of Light and some of his closest allies.

They're very much a case of well intentioned extremists, defending their own interests above all else - which is something equally applicable to many countries in the real world throughout history. In particular, this is the case with the Roman Empire - which to this very day influences much of the world's culture in terms of art, language, theatre and architecture. The same can be said of the British Empire as well and there's parallels/influence drawn from both where Garlemald is concerned.

Does this mean that Garlemald is completely justified? Not at all, there's a lot that needs to change and the rot needs to be cut out. All the same, there's already evidence of factions within Garlemald that desired a more diplomatic approach and a lack of over-extension. I doubt we've heard of the last of them, even if they were supposedly purged.

There's also the Archadian Empire in FFXII, which will hopefully serve as heavy inspiration for a redeemed Garlemald moving forward once we start heading deeper into their territory and seeing things from their perspective. Given the abundance of references to FFXII in the game already, though, I'm fairly confident that they'll go down that route at some point - it's but a matter of when.

Ishgard wasn't exactly shown in flattering light but they still managed to add many shades of grey to the place. Heck, they've even added shades of grey to the Ascians, particularly Elidibus. Plus the lyrics of the Revolutions song strongly imply that war has a heavy cost and that there's two sides to every story.

Real talk... if they kill off Thancred I'm going to - well, I'm not going to fib and say I'll unsub. But I'll have trouble finishing the MSQ.

It took me so long to get through 3.0, even though I knew he would reappear in 3.1...

I agree Shtola is a red herring, though. If nothing else because I think it'll have more impact on the WoL to see another comrade almost die when their shield faulters and a weapon goes through their gut, causing blood to seep from their mouth... than if said comrade actually dies (which I feel will just be like "welp, that happened again, everything's horrible, what's new").