Truth Serum! Questionbox sort of thing.

Kage favors the sweet water he had asked for before bursting out, "Enough nitty and gritty! What are the simple pleasures in life? Hobbies? Foods? Drinks? Surely not everyone's lives are filled with the grim."

He looks to Kage and this time, completely removes the mask. It really wasn't needed anymore at this point. His face slightly flushed from all the ale, "I think you already know a couple of my hobbies. May time change them."

"As for food, anything really. But if I had to pick a flavor, garlic. The Garlean variety. Any meal can be enriched from its flavor. Not to say the local dishes are bland or anything." He glances around, in hope he hasn't offended any bar maids.

"And drinks? Keep 'em coming! I wouldn't still be coming back here if the ale was bad."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the simple pleasures in life? Hobbies? Foods? Drinks? Surely not everyone's lives are filled with the grim."

The Knight eyes Kage from her position against the far wall. "It seems to be no small task to raise the spirits of this somber group, Master Kiryuu. To the aforementioned question, I have been fortunate to not have suffered any great personal betrayal in my life yet. Perhaps that alone may be hope enough to others that this world is not as dark as one thinks."

"My hobby would be my work. It is what sustains me. To shine what little light I can into the lives of those besieged by despair. For it was when I was at my darkest hour that a single kind soul gave me the hope I needed to survive. I suppose what I am trying to say is that no matter how grim things appear, by the grace of the Twelve I am able to shine my own light into the darkness."

"And white chocolate."

She nods to herself after her long-winded speech and leans back against the wall once more.

Warren grinned to himself as he listened to the group's conversation.

"I'm not sure if I have to speak with her around. Duty is sufficient, and if I can protect those around me or have need me then I am satisfied by that." He paused to consider whether or not to expand upon that but again seems content.

Kage favors the sweet water he had asked for before bursting out, "Enough nitty and gritty! What are the simple pleasures in life? Hobbies? Foods? Drinks? Surely not everyone's lives are filled with the grim."

C'kayah laughed coldly, his eyes flashing with barely suppressed cruelty.

"Since we are speaking honestly, if you were to answer for me, you'd probably say my greatest pleasure was walking away from you, my nunh..."

He snorted and rolled his eyes before chuckling coolly. "Until today, I would have said that the simple pleasures in life involve good food, good drink, and spending time with those I care about. Last night, however", he said, his eyes taking on a distant look, his expression softening and warming, "a child fell asleep in my arms while his mother sang him a lullaby. That was perhaps the simplest and most sublime experience of my life."

"I will be the first to admit that a little tea is more than enough to get me in a better mood any time of the day. Especially with some honey. That Gridania-special is absolutely a send from the Twelve." 

He couldn't believe no one had even bothered to reply to his comment, as if hwe were a non-entity. The words he'd directed at Kage hung in the air like a dead weight around him. Ruru laughed and shook his head knowing it was pointless, as the others wasted time discussing food.

With that he stepped outside and laughed aloud as he walked away, realizing his voiced regret was in fact the truth.

Kellach stepped inside the Quicksand after what seemed like an eternity and the aroma of absolute truth soon penetrated his nostrils, altering his own thought processes and becoming far more receptive to invasive inquiries.

He'd not heard the latest question, but a whisper from nowhere would incessantly repeat it, reverberating in his brain, and amplifying until it became unbearable.

(Enough nitty and gritty! What are the simple pleasures in life? Hobbies? Foods? Drinks? Surely not everyone's lives are filled with the grim.)

Kellach scratched the back of his fluffy long hair and started speaking to no one in particular. "Before I'd have just said working on the farm was fun but these days it's all about several mugs of ale and discovering new cosmetics as I travel Eorzea!"

The drink slid alongside the bar, and he carefully brought it to his mouth.

"Whether it's a smoother skin powder for my tone or a clearer lip color, I just have to try it, but usually it doesn't get past the rigors of battle. I didn't really think much of such things on the farm, but in Eorzea I was free to explore, and well, I quite like the enhancing features of these cosmetics and especially the bright pink colors I can lace my hair and bring to my lips."

Putting the mug down, no trace of the pink lipstick could be found on the mug.

Erik felt drawn out. Days of debriefings, medical exames, and an entire command to reorganize, he had not once been to the Quicksand since returning. He smiled as he heard the familiar sounds and smelled the sweet air. Happy to see "his" stool open, he sat and ordered the drink everyone seemed to be drinking.

The Knight stands quietly regarding the silence that has befallen the room before speaking up once more.

"There is a blade I carry now which was a commission especially for me. It has a spring-loaded crossbar of polished bronze, and ornate walnut hilt. T'was my gift to myself the day I took my oath and became full Sworn. I keep its edge always keen and the blade well oiled.

Is there one item of particular import that anyone else carries with them often?"

"Is there one item of particular import that anyone else carries with them often?"

Obsidian Hornet gets a sentimental sort of smile to her as she touches the choker around her neck. "I wear this as often as I can." She says, fingers brushing piece of jewelry. The choker is set with a large piece of amber in which is set a yellow lotus flower. "This was a gift from Gharen Wolfsong, crafted by Jajara Jara. Gharen and I don't see one another often but this reminds me of his love and his kindness everyday. I've only had it for a few months but it's more precious to me than I can express."

Is there one item of particular import that anyone else carries with them often?"

Kage takes off his beret, he shows it to the others. "I used to have a smaller one of these, a white feathered beret. I gave it as both a goodbye and a present to someone who I love dearly."

He paused before taking out a book from his pack. He showed the contents of one page. It was a string, pressed flowers and herbs onto the page. He paused, glancing around the room before whispering softly, "This was given to me by one I spoke of before. It helped me in a time of great need and recklessness."

Erik was swaying a bit, a warmth filling him, warmth he thought long gone cold. He ran a finger around the back of his neck, pulling up a cord with two silver rings, "My wife... when she left to sail she would leave her wedding ring. She was always afraid she would lose it overboard. I put this cord on every morning... I miss you my love."

C'kayah grinned languorously, his eyes taking on a distant look. He tugged at a cord around his neck, withdrawing a small bag of fine, supple leather from inside his shirt. A flame colored feather dangled from it, tied securely with waxed thread. He loosened the thread closing the bag slipping a lock of pale pink hair from within. A fine ribbon tied the hair, and he held it as if it were an item of great value to him. He smiled at it, as if at a long-departed lover, before replacing it in the bag and slipping it back inside his shirt.

"Now that we've had this question, let me ask a new one: If you were to die tomorrow but have any one thing you wanted today, what would it be?"

Buttons almost fell out of her seat as she heard a question out of nowhere. it was nowhere right? Her ears lowered slightly as she stared into the recently emptied cup. Someone switch her tea? " Something special? Yep I've got something special." She pats the pouch at her hip and looks back up for a moment. " 's my spoon! Mister Scoopers.. Never thought I'd have a friend like him in the world but we've been through lots together. By the way.. He's seeking more intimate companionship.. If you happen to know a nice little tea spoon.. " Looking up with a bright smile as her ears perked up. " I've heard that strength is not a measure of how much you can handle before you break but that it's how much you can handle after you break.. Who or what gives you the strength you need to keep pushing no matter what is thrown at you? .. for me it's my Sisters.. Lissa and Kanaria, and Brother, Ossy "

Warren considered the question without looking towards the source. He began slowly and quietly.

"I have something. A favor, given to me by the one I took up the sword and shield for. I keep it tucked in my tabard when on duty. She wasn't exactly, uh, proficient with a needle and thread, but seeing those goofy hearts and flowers... Reminds me why I do what I do. Even if I do it badly, I suppose."

Bah. More brooding.

Who or what gives you the strength you need to keep pushing no matter what is thrown at you?

Coatleque thinks for a moment before speaking up once more.

"There are but two things a man may look to for strength to weather any storm. The first being the uplifting words of friends, and the second their faith in the Twelve. I know now that whatever comes before me, Llymlaen shall guide my steps to the path Nymeia has foreseen. How I came to this faith is... another story."

Kellach wasn't looking at much of anyone. Unlike most of these patrons, he didn't know anyone here. Instead he stared off in the air, nodding and answering questions that fell into this collective whisper that the ambient air was generating.

Is there one item of particular import that anyone else carries with them often?

"I don't really have anything like that. I guess I would say my axe because without it I can't really fight but it's not that important in a sense. Not like everyone else and their items. I kind of wish I'd brought something from home but I just didn't have much of anything that was truly mine. Everything went to my brother and I don't really intend on coming back either. It's time for me to strike out on my own instead of just being in his shadow."

Who or what gives you the strength you need to keep pushing no matter what is thrown at you?

"I don't know. I'm surrounded by good people... kind of? And I want to do right by them. I didn't think much of Eorzea when I first arrived here by boat but the longer I've been here I found I really like the place even with its ups and major downs. Including that girl that said I looked too girly for her when... well, I wasn't really interested in the first place."

• 2 weeks later...

The paladin looks up, eying his company with no small regard.

"Let's say you were confronted by the Twelve tomorrow, and they tell you you've only got a week left before you have to leave this realm. In exchange, they let you dictate the terms of your passing. What do you do for that week, and how do you go?"

The Knight leaned back against the wall with arms crossed, staring at her companion from across the room. Her mood slowly soured the longer she watched. It was as if somewhere (in another life perhaps) two ships were not just passing, but firing volleys at each other.

"I think perhaps this room needs more questions to consider, as the answers seem to have grown silent. We have broached the subject of love once before. So I ask to anyone: To what lengths would you go for it? Or if you prefer, is there an absolute limit to what you would do?"

(nom Meatloaf)

The paladin looks up, eying his company with no small regard.

"Let's say you were confronted by the Twelve tomorrow, and they tell you you've only got a week left before you have to leave this realm. In exchange, they let you dictate the terms of your passing. What do you do for that week, and how do you go?"

He looked up from his drink. "I don't think I'd be going anywhere. Don't believe in your false eikons. They're no better than the beast-tribe's 'primals'. Granted, if enough people believe in something, they'll make it real. So if I believed, I'd want them to fill in the gaps of my life. find my family, get me back my memories. Let me live a little. Then I guess I'd go."

The Knight leaned back against the wall with arms crossed, staring at her companion from across the room. Her mood slowly soured the longer she watched. It was as if somewhere (in another life perhaps) two ships were not just passing, but firing volleys at each other.

"I think perhaps this room needs more questions to consider, as the answers seem to have grown silent. We have broached the subject of love once before. So I ask to anyone: To what lengths would you go for it? Or if you prefer, is there an absolute limit to what you would do?"

(nom Meatloaf)

Warren keeps his gaze steady, looking up for the first time and meeting the question head-on.

"There shouldn't be a limit. If it's true love, you'd be prepared to sacrifice anything. If they're worth everything, they're worth everything."

The raven-haired Highlander bard had fallen silent for a long time, simply enjoying her glass of wine as she resumed her seat, precariously balanced on the railing of the Quicksand. She had heard that lalafells had once perched in this very spot, and overlooking some of those gathered in the tavern, she could see why. She had happily listened as the chattered continued, wondering why everyone was sporting such a loose tongue that echoed their deepest thoughts. She had only taken part because it was fun, she had no such compunction. At least until the two that posed the most recent questions met each other's gaze. She took note with an arched brow.

"Love and death. Within a breath of each other. Mm." She hummed. "One ponders one's end..." her green eyes sought out the broody Mister No-fun who had asked. "And the other ponders what cost one is willing to pay for love." She glanced to the redhead.

She smirked. "Perhaps one answer applies to both. "I wish to face death with no regrets. No second thoughts. No what-ifs. I would spend that last week doing everything and anything I ever wanted to do. There shall be no man I would wonder what his lips felt like, no sweet delicacy I would not try, and no music I would not dance to." She leaned against the railing with one hand, her belled bracelets jingling. "I would ask to die in my bed, well fed, well loved, and in the arms of a handsome man that adored me."

"No regrets, Miss Somber and Mister Serious." She raised her glass. "Love is a forbidden joy, meant to bring ye to yer knees, risk all that matters, and still bring ye heartbreak in the end. And yet, and yet it is still worth it all." Her eyes drift back to the brooding man with a slow nod. "Everything." She drained her glass of the last drop of the dark wine. "Or so the bards say when we sing of it."

The unknown adventurer flipped back his locks. They'd slipped in front of his face, and  they were starting to poke into his eyes. The questions, once more, arrived, and he was still forced to answer.

"If I had a week? Aye... That is hard to answer. I don't believe I'm old enough to even contemplate my own mortality. Even with the profession I've chosen to have, I don't think about how I might die. I think about how I might be victorious..."

He takes a sip of tea, somehow a cup had been slipped under his fingers. He had no recollection of such a thing.

"Yes. I think I'll go with that. I'd go out swinging, in the midst of battle, and my request would only be that this sacrifice of mine wouldn't be in vain. Although I suppose I am vain for requesting that..." he let his sentence drawl out with a nervous laugh before continuing with the other question.

"Love? My... Is everyone on Eorzea concerned with grand matters? How far would I go for it? I'd like to say, to the death, but it'd be irresponsible of me to die before even tasting the fruits of love. Maybe my resolve isn't steeled enough for it?"

He took another sip of the tea.

He nodded to himself, before a simple thought escaped his lips : "What place in Eorzea means the most to you?"

"Me, it'd have to be the sight of Limsa Lominsa from the Rhotano Sea, right after the sun has set, and the stars shine on, illuminating both sea and land. That is when I understood the majesty of this continent, and one of the reasons why so many are attracted to it."