Any mention of pregnancy or birthgiving in-game? Are we even sure we are mammals?

Blue

I have the impression a lot of people are taking my question as "why didn't they give us nipples?". I'm not, I know why they're not there.

I just wonder if, along with the decision to not put nipples on our characters, SE didn't also think "let's support this with lore and say they don't really need nipples because they do not breast-feed their babies.". Nothing was said in this regard, as we pretty much give for granted that the races of Eorzea are mammals, but can we really? Sure, nothing was said about Eorzeans laying eggs, but nothing was said of them being mammals either (since, again, there is a lack of mention of this among the NPCs to my knowledge.

I should've thought of this question for the lore panel...

Lore < PEGI age rating, that's just this. And they could pretty much say "Bra covers the breasts" to answer to your question or something that sort, but this decision is really about the age rating of that game.

(And to my knowledge, when you're wearing a bra, you don't always have the nipples showing, or maybe I'm just wearing some special bra ._.)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen what cannot be unseen. In 1.0, a friend of mine sent me a screenshot of his miqo'te with one of those mods that people used to use in XI to change their character's appearance/clothing. Well, he'd managed to remove the opacity on her top, leaving only the texture of the fabric behind. They have nipples. I wish I didn't know that for sure, but I do.

This discussion is silly though. xD Really, OP, it's the art style that SE is using that is common in Japan. The males (Highlanders especially, I've noticed) do have little bumps just not color/texture. It's style, not a biological thing. >_>

I have the impression a lot of people are taking my question as "why didn't they give us nipples?". I'm not, I know why they're not there.

I just wonder if, along with the decision to not put nipples on our characters, SE didn't also think "let's support this with lore and say they don't really need nipples because they do not breast-feed their babies.". Nothing was said in this regard, as we pretty much give for granted that the races of Eorzea are mammals, but can we really? Sure, nothing was said about Eorzeans laying eggs, but nothing was said of them being mammals either (since, again, there is a lack of mention of this among the NPCs to my knowledge.

If that were the case, female characters wouldn't have breasts at all.  Breasts exist solely for the purpose of producing milk for babies. :-P

If that were the case, female characters wouldn't have breasts at all.  Breasts exist solely for the purpose of producing milk for babies. :-P

I love you for bringing this point up *sage nod*

At first when I saw my male without a shirt I wondered the same thing about why there are no nipples. But then I realized it would probably go against the rating of the game, and probably start a whole mess of drama between parents, and the developers, since there are young teenagers who do play.

As Liadan brought up, our races are mammals because females have breasts. As was also pointed out, if you look very closely our characters, both male and female, do have nipples. If you're Miqo'te put on the hempen camise or the red summer taiga and trust me, you'll see them.

What we do not have (at least males don't) are areola, which are the discolored circles of tissue surrounding the nipple.

Can different races crossbreed?

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/32685-Questions-related-to-Lore?p=490835&viewfull=1#post490835

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/32685-Questions-related-to-Lore?p=490835&viewfull=1#post490835

It's been said that the cross-race issues will be touched upon or detailed in 3.0 Heavensward.

I love you for bringing this point up *sage nod*

At first when I saw my male without a shirt I wondered the same thing about why there are no nipples. But then I realized it would probably go against the rating of the game, and probably start a whole mess of drama between parents, and the developers, since there are young teenagers who do play.

Interestingly, I'm told that male Humans in WoW didn't have nipples until they recently upgraded the models.

Some players are quite perturbed by their new nipples.

It's been said that the cross-race issues will be touched upon or detailed in 3.0 Heavensward.

So your saying Kerwin x Otto could have children...in the future perhaps. Ruh roh.

I'm also pretty sure there's a lack of them visually because it might be inappropriate or something. But on the subject, I've been wondering...what would Eorzeans use as contraception? I was thinking of some sort of "potion" contraception, but is there actually any lore about it?

Bootshine to the gut? Eorzea's Plan: B.

I'm also pretty sure there's a lack of them visually because it might be inappropriate or something. But on the subject, I've been wondering...what would Eorzeans use as contraception? I was thinking of some sort of "potion" contraception, but is there actually any lore about it?

That's terrible.  TERRIBLE!  *beats on with a stick*

That's terrible.  TERRIBLE!  *beats on with a stick*

AHH!!

200_s.gif

Well given the things you 'do' see and come across in game, it's heavily influenced that the races are generally mammal. I'm not too sure why they'd suddenly decide to take these fairly mammalian looking races and decide "oh ya they're gunna lay eggs, but we're not gunna touch on that at all evn though they seem mammal cause we can" xD

So your saying Kerwin x Otto could have children...in the future perhaps.  Ruh roh.

Kage can find a pretty Femroe and have children.

So, yes.

FINALLY! SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS ME!

... Except I would joke to Lillini that they would have to go to a Conjurer for a staff to the abdomen. ヽ(´ー`)ノ (And maybe a Cure after they jabbed them to rid of the potential babe.)

So your saying Kerwin x Otto could have children...in the future perhaps.  Ruh roh.

Kage can find a pretty Femroe and have children.

So, yes.

A Lala guy and a Roe lady?........

go%20tap%20that%20bro.jpg

As for lack of something depicting females as nipple-less.. the hempen camise and other bra-type of clothing leave very little to imagination, especially on some models like Miqo'te and Highlander.

Just gonna throw it out there that as a woman IRL, I can't see my nipples through my bra. o_o Hell, my breasts are pretty perky naturally, so the main reason I wear a bra is to make sure nothing's poking through my shirt.