Thoughts on the Au Ra?

Oli!

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to ask that everyone please just take a step back, take a deep breath, and if necessary - take the discussion to PMs to work things out there. This thread is getting quite off track, and if it spirals out of control, we will have to lock it. I will say, however, that this specific train of conversation ends here, with this post.

Thank you for your understanding!

Man, I love you guys. Every other innocuous thread ends up turning into the reading equivalent of watching a car crash in slow motion. Never change, RPC.

Anyway, I do really like the look of them, but I agree with the general sentiment that Au'ra look unoriginal in the sense that they're basically just Hyur with horns and tails tacked on. I guess it makes things easy for cosplayers? I do genuinely like the aesthetics of the race though. The idea of originality is laudable and everything, but you wouldn't see many people playing a race that was truly bestial in appearance. I still have PTSD flashbacks from how horribly armor fit on Charr in Guild Wars 2.

The good news is that some people will be happy that they finally have a reason to change their name to Eddie Lizzard.

In all honesty, I play female characters a lot and I do prefer aesthetically beautiful girls fighting in brutal battlefield. So that's just me. I am okay with Au Ra female being dainty. But I would not judge on a race over 30 seconds clip of just showing the pre-designed character without showing any hairstyle/tail/color/face options.

I have seen this point made a few times. I wanted to address it. I have seen a few people wondering if it is okay to dislike a race based off a preview/unfinished version. I have also heard this point from several other MMO communities regarding similar topics. At the time it has been brought up, I have found that if I disliked a preview I do end up still disliking the finished product.

The short of it is, the developers are not going to release something that isn't even nearly close to being finished. Typically when something like a new race is previewed, any changes from there on will usually be very minor. That, and unless Au Ra are super special and get an amazing amount of customization options that the other races don't get, we can expect their character creator to be very similar to what we have already seen.

I sincerely doubt, for example, that they will allow us to change any scale patterns because that just doesn't factor in as a comparative option to the other races. (the horns seem reminiscent of miqo'te tail styles. While possibly color of scales is influenced by hair color) Does that make sense?

There is a lot I wonder about. I wonder where on the height sliders the preview characters are. I wonder what kind of horn style selections we will get. I wonder what sort of hairstyles we will get. These are things that could help us change our mind on the race, certainly, but if your dislike of the design goes deeper than that... Then being able to tinker around in a character creator is not going to endear you to them.

In all honesty, I play female characters a lot and I do prefer aesthetically beautiful girls fighting in brutal battlefield. So that's just me. I am okay with Au Ra female being dainty. But I would not judge on a race over 30 seconds clip of just showing the pre-designed character without showing any hairstyle/tail/color/face options.

I have seen this point made a few times. I wanted to address it. I have seen a few people wondering if it is okay to dislike a race based off a preview/unfinished version. I have also heard this point from several other MMO communities regarding similar topics. At the time it has been brought up, I have found that if I disliked a preview I do end up still disliking the finished product.

The short of it is, the developers are not going to release something that isn't even nearly close to being finished. Typically when something like a new race is previewed, any changes from there on will usually be very minor. That, and unless Au Ra are super special and get an amazing amount of customization options that the other races don't get, we can expect their character creator to be very similar to what we have already seen.

I sincerely doubt, for example, that they will allow us to change any scale patterns because that just doesn't factor in as a comparative option to the other races. (the horns seem reminiscent of miqo'te tail styles. While possibly color of scales is influenced by hair color) Does that make sense?

There is a lot I wonder about. I wonder where on the height sliders the preview characters are. I wonder what kind of horn style selections we will get. I wonder what sort of hairstyles we will get. These are things that could help us change our mind on the race, certainly, but if your dislike of the design goes deeper than that... Then being able to tinker around in a character creator is not going to endear you to them.

While I agree with you in terms that character customization in this game is so very limited, majority of the people who are disliking the race but is willing to accept or try are just taking grain of salt to at least give it a shot. Instead of Elezen/Lalafell's ear shape, we might get Horn Shape option, and also as you said, Miqo'te's tail style into Au Ra's version of tail style.

Again, their game character design option is VERY VERY limited because they are still using 1.0 character creation option  except they just enhanced it by making interface options look more beautiful was all. Is it disappointing? Yes. But is it as bad as many other MMOs? No. Because many MMOs have big options  to create your character and yet the graphics and the way they are designed is really sloppy.

I don't know. Maybe future expansion after Heavensward might add more options like how they did for Mists/WoD  (Sort of).

But even Tera which was made after FFXIV 1.0, they still had some sloppy character creation options. Also MMOs can take it so far on how much they can apply into the game. :'/

The good news is that some people will be happy that they finally have a reason to change their name to Eddie Lizzard.

brb going to make placeholder character.

Tried that back when we first saw Yugiri's tail, its taken. :(

Completely unrelated to anything so far in this thread, but that might be a good thing at this stage! How do they hear? My theory right now is tiny holes at the side of the head like a lizard, that will no doubt be hidden by hairstyles much like where hyur ears would be on miqo'te. But tiny side holes are also not very aesthetically pleasing for the look they go for! Except on the wedding hairstyle, I could see the forbidden zone. It was horrifying I tell you.

Really I just want to question other details like that if people can think of any! Do you think they have long lizardlike tongues? Probably not! But they might sneak it in on one clan much like they snuck fangs in on keepers of the moon!

Well considering their facial structure, it's hard to think they have any really feral teeth or long tongues.

...but then, anime.

As far as hearing, small holes like most lizards have seems to be the prevalent and most likely thing, considering their horns are all up on the sides of their heads.

After thinking about it for a bit, I had a series of ideas pop into my head that I think make some degree of sense, and decided that it would probably be better to make a dedicated thread for lore / biology speculation, so I'm gonna go do that, rather than bring it up in this thread which is more to discuss opinion on the race.

And then you can coerce one of your Miqo'te friends to become David Meowie. With your powers combined, your guyliner will be unstoppable.

And then you can coerce one of your Miqo'te friends to become David Meowie. With your powers combined, your guyliner will be unstoppable.

I was gonna say an Elezen Archer named David Bowyer, but that works too.

[...]

The truth? We only have like 2 major servers for RP, and 1-2 minor servers that is growing with RP. And the rest of the servers and players don't RP and they look at cuteness over how creatures should look realistic. That's the sad truth. Some people will just come up and say "I play ugly characters and I am damn fine" but most of the others don't. They want to be materialistic, and beautiful in a game - and that's just the harsh truth.

Don't like Au Ra? Then sure. Feel free to rant about it. But don't expect other people to just be accepting your opinions, because in community and in life, people will always agree or disagree.

I already pointed out that a more bestial version of the Au Ra does NOT have to be 'ugly', unless for some reason you find anything that's not fully human 'ugly' (in which case I would have to say something is broken inside of you, but I doubt that's the case. You DO like dogs and cats, right? RIGHT?).

Hell, I think if Miqo'te had full-body fur they'd STILL be the second-most popular race in the game.

I already pointed out that a more bestial version of the Au Ra does NOT have to be 'ugly', unless for some reason you find anything that's not fully human 'ugly' (in which case I would have to say something is broken inside of you, but I doubt that's the case. You DO like dogs and cats, right? RIGHT?).

Hell, I think if Miqo'te had full-body fur they'd STILL be the second-most popular race in the game.

Debatable. But again, I like playing attractive characters. Dogs and Cats? Not my thing really. But I will say that Miqo'te female are pretty cute all aside from their tails and ears. I'd totally tap them. Nice butts and curves just like Midlander female. FemRoes are pretty damn hot too with their curvy hair and their chest as well as Elezens despite their long necks.

I still find Au Ra to be cute like Miqo'tes do. But would I create it and fantasize it? Maaaybe.

Well not caring so much about dogs or cats should be considered as "broken inside of me".

[...]

The truth? We only have like 2 major servers for RP, and 1-2 minor servers that is growing with RP. And the rest of the servers and players don't RP and they look at cuteness over how creatures should look realistic. That's the sad truth. Some people will just come up and say "I play ugly characters and I am damn fine" but most of the others don't. They want to be materialistic, and beautiful in a game - and that's just the harsh truth.

Don't like Au Ra? Then sure. Feel free to rant about it. But don't expect other people to just be accepting your opinions, because in community and in life, people will always agree or disagree.

I'm pretty sure if anyone said they were romantically involved with a cat or a dog because they found their pet sexually attractive, there would be a lot of turned faces. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder though...let's not call other people broken for that, ok?

We've already had our daily dose of ridiculous drama for no reason.

--

As far as the Au-Ra go, I'll make my decisions about them when we can actually play them. Why are we judging something so much when it hasn't even been released outside of a couple clips here and there?

Why are we judging something so much when it hasn't even been released outside of a couple clips here and there?

I was talking with Iex for couple of posts regarding why Au Ra looked like that and why I felt that I couldn't judge a 30 second clip when it only showed one style for each gender.

But yes, I was very shallow minded by 30 second clip of Ninja/Rogue gameplay before 2.4 and I was on the verge of not playing it because it looked "lame" after like one or two skill demonstration. 

Which is why I took my grain of salt and wait for the race/class to actually come out and see it for myself :) . Though I think it does look nice since the lizard people reminds me of Tera races like Aman x Castanic fused.

Debatable. But again, I like playing attractive characters. Dogs and Cats? Not my thing really. But I will say that Miqo'te female are pretty cute all aside from their tails and ears. I'd totally tap them. Nice butts and curves just like Midlander female. FemRoes are pretty damn hot too with their curvy hair and their chest as well as Elezens despite their long necks.

I still find Au Ra to be cute like Miqo'tes do. But would I create it and fantasize it? Maaaybe.

Well not caring so much about dogs or cats should be considered as "broken inside of me".

I'm pretty sure if anyone said they were romantically involved with a cat or a dog because they found their pet sexually attractive, there would be a lot of turned faces. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder though...let's not call other people broken for that, ok?

We've already had our daily dose of ridiculous drama for no reason.

Okay. What the fuck? That's not... that's not RELEVANT. Both of you are basically assuming the character has to be sexually attractive (or is everyone playing Lalafell a deviant?), and moreover the latter example with bestiality is so far out of left field I can't even...

I mean...

Gods, I don't even know how to continue this conversation anymore. This is just too much for me. Too much! :dazed:

Yeah, so... 29 pages in, and with many valiant attempts to keep posts relevant and two mod warnings, I think we can probably put this thread to bed.

I'm just going to go ahead and close this. As usual, any substantive issues can be raised in a new thread if desired.

Let's all have some eggnog (or mulled wine, or whisky, or Dr Pepper, or your favorite holiday drink) and have a nice end of the year. :)

#magicAdminHat