FF15: Men or Dolls?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One day, Japan will realize if that if we wanted to play women, we'd play women. I mean, it's not like men are genetically predisposed to look like men, or anything.* That's kind of why the sexual distinction exists.

*please don't kill me, tumblr

Heaven forbid someone is comfortable enough with their gender enough to not care. 

Not to mention, they're all pretty masculine looking -- they just don't fit the narrow mold of SQUARE JAW BROAD SHOULDER BIG CHEST (except for that one with the swordy thing). I can clearly tell that they are men. Not that it MATTERS wtf they are.

Anyway, aside from that, any game without a character creator makes me cry a little and then I get used to the characters they give us. I don't think I'll be playing it, but it looks cool.

To those complaining about the prettyboy status of the cast of FFXV allow me to direct you to the artwork of Sephiroth as done by Yoshitaka Amano.

AmanoSeph.jpg

Prettyboys have been in FF since its inception. Get used to it, already.

Oh FFanboys, you argue over the silliest things.

Of the myriad complaints a Final Fantasy game can have, "too pretty male characters" is a confusing one to have...and the insinuations being bandied about in this thread are...worrying, to put it lightly.

This.

To be fair, the designs are not exactly my favorite either, because the cast looks like slightly tweaked versions of either characters ripped off from other franchises (Hello Sauske!), characters from all their previous games, or are just... pretty bland designs in general. There isn't really a single one that sticks out in my head as memorable looking except Noctis and its because, again, I can't stop thinking of him as Sauske: The FFXV version. I may or may not get it depending on what the combat system/story is like.

That said, there is this this extremely messed up implication floating around this thread that 'real men' look a certain way and that we should sneer down our nose at these characters for not looking like 'real men'. In reality, real men can look like a lot of goddamn things. They can be thin and svelte. They can be big and bulkular. They can be fat and stocky. They look like they belong at the army or look like they've spent way more time at the library than the gym. They can also look like goddamn women sometimes, but they're all still dudes.

It's okay to have preferences in the type of characters you want to play in games. As some folks may have guessed, I admittedly prefer to play tough, muscular dudes that look like they spent half their lives in a gym (BUT ONLY IF I CAN HAVE EYEBROWS DAMN YOU SE) - especially in MMOs. The FFXV cast doesn't really fit my normal preferences.

But, talking like these game characters are too 'pretty' or too lady-like to be 'real guys' kinda takes a shit on all the real-life men that don't fit the stereotypical Alpha Male look and I don't know about you, but I know way more dudes that fit the slenderer body-type of the FFXV cast - than I do guys with the stereotypically manly Alpha Male physique. (Though uh, not the faces because it's tough to look like that without 3 pounds of cosplay make up. :V)

Also, having a problem with 'pretty guys' while playing what basically amounts to "pretty-boy-anime-guy-land the MMO" is kind of questionable.

Heaven forbid someone is comfortable enough with their gender enough to not care. 

Not to mention, they're all pretty masculine looking -- they just don't fit the narrow mold of SQUARE JAW BROAD SHOULDER BIG CHEST (except for that one with the swordy thing). I can clearly tell that they are men. Not that it MATTERS wtf they are.

Anyway, aside from that, any game without a character creator makes me cry a little and then I get used to the characters they give us. I don't think I'll be playing it, but it looks cool.

Quoted for emphasis.

Prettyboys have been in FF since its inception. Get used to it, already.

Oh FFanboys, you argue over the silliest things.

Amano at least makes them colorful. That's what I like.

If by colourful you mean he vomited a rainbow, polka dots, and stripes over every single design...

FF5_Gilgamesh.jpg

Then yes, colourful.

I'm not saying I hate the design, but if you look at it long enough, it seems a little ridiculous, to be honest. How much superfluous shit and bright colour does a character need on their armor?

I'm not saying I hate the design, but if you look at it long enough, it seems a little ridiculous, to be honest. How much superfluous shit and bright colour does a character need on their armor?

Granted, you just pointed to Gilgamesh (I'd have pointed to Firion, actually - he seems to fit more that argument than a character designed to be goofy) who, well, is Gilgamesh.

It also helps that back then you had to bring that design down to handful of pixels. Which simplified it enough that they were certainly improved.

It feels like they're too simple in design and too similar because they wanted to release that line of clothing IRL.

When did the ideologues creep in? No one stated: a real man is x, y, and z. One individual made an off-handed quip about playing masculine men. The cast of FF15 is easily to date the most effeminate cast of the entire series and of the bourgeois class.

The second post was merely illustrating how the main character Noctis bares a striking resemblance to Sasuke from Naruto.

No one here is trying to push an ideal of "how to man." Jesus christ.

I know this will blow people's minds: it's okay to have an opinion and dislike something based purely on aesthetics and not be a "monster" for it.

I personally, which wasn't even the topic of the thread, don't care for effeminate male heroes, stuck in their late teens or early to mid twenties with all the social grace of a introvert and displaying the wisdom of an elder (it is rather unbelievable and disconnecting). It's just not my cup of tea.

I didn't like Vann (Granted Vann is a extrovert with disillusions of grandeur, and holding onto a vendetta) in 12 for that reason, and why Basch, Balthier, and Fran were my main cast.

The FF series did fall into a trend of "pretty boy" heroes when graphics started to become par for the course. Not liking effeminate male protagonists isn't equatable to hating effeminate men, wishing ill on such individuals, and thinking they are sub-par or lesser for it.

Each to their own. I won't be buying FF15 for many reasons, but that is simply 1 of the reasons why.

Also, so what if someone says: their are too many pretty boys in this game. How is that concerning? No one here said it is immoral or unethical.

Ummmm.

I somehow cannot imagine how you could consider Ignis, Cor, or Gladiolus to be effeminate or 'pretty boy'-ish. Gladiolus and Cor in particular are very manly men with their sculpted builds, square jaws, and deep voices.

Not to mention the grand majority of the principle cast is made up of ordinary-looking men (something that is a bit of a turn-off for me, personally, since I LIKE having a strong female cast, but whatever). Prompto and Noctis alone should not be enough for you to write off the entire rest of the game's cast like that. It's silly.

One day, Japan will realize if that if we wanted to play women, we'd play women. I mean, it's not like men are genetically predisposed to look like men, or anything.* That's kind of why the sexual distinction exists.

*please don't kill me, tumblr

I really, really hope this post was a joke. I honestly can't tell anymore. Poe's law, and all that.

No one here is trying to push an ideal of "how to man." Jesus christ.

Well, nevermind that the thread title is literally "men or dolls", not "men and dolls" or "men who look like dolls"...

So what? It's a title. Are you really getting hung up on limited character length? What do you usually associate with dolls that is getting you hung up? I guess Ninja Turtles and GI Joe aren't dolls they are "action figures."

Lmfao. It's gonna be okay.

Ummmm.

I somehow cannot imagine how you could consider Ignis, Cor, or Gladiolus to be effeminate or 'pretty boy'-ish. Gladiolus and Cor in particular are very manly men with their sculpted builds, square jaws, and deep voices.

Not to mention the grand majority of the principle cast is made up of ordinary-looking men (something that is a bit of a turn-off for me, personally, since I LIKE having a strong female cast, but whatever). Prompto and Noctis alone should not be enough for you to write off the entire rest of the game's cast like that. It's silly.

Hairless bodies, gelled or fashionable hair styles, and wearing or displaying fine clothes or jewelry. The art work of the male cast is a line up for cat walk for some A&E reality show.

Did you read my post? I stated 1 of the reasons, not all of the reasons, and ultimately is their in an issue of not wanting to play a game full of Ken dolls?