What Race+Class/Job combination do you prefer?

On things like Lalafell tanks.. Maybe, just squint a bit with your imaginations and the world becomes more fantastic with Moogles and such. Suddenly great knights in compact form is not such a stretch?

I get some like more realistic worlds/RP but the game itself does not mirror our RL world so you will find things to discount all over the shop. Maybe once in a while we all have to squint to accept another views.

*hugs*

There is something really satisfying about seeing a tiny person kick major ass. :lol: I am heavily biased in this, however, because my main in Tera was an Elin Berserker.

I'm also guilty of maining an elin Berserker *amused*. Cute characters with huge weapons (especially axes) are a weakness of mine, and Tera made that come true. Ugh, I miss Tera, even if I get bored of it fast.

I'm always amused to see lalafell tanks, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Part of the reason I picked up Tera was because (at launch) all classes were available to all races and genders. I personally really like the contrast when a small-framed character gets a big weapon or a large-framed characters gets to be speedy and agile. I don't have any real "preference" for matching races with classes in this game either; game NPCs tend to fill in the blanks anyway.

Haha, that's the same reason why I picked up Tera. I don't play much anymore, but I'm addicted to the comedic (and dramatic) value of pairing a physical class with a tiny character, thus I'm much more fond of Melee Lalas than Caster/Ranged Lalas. Although technically suboptimal for Monk, I find the difference of a few HP or STR barely makes a difference in endgame content, (For me at least.)

My main and secondary were Elin Warrior and Elin Berserker in that game, though I also had Human and Popori characters.

Forever Lalafell.

Forever Paladin/Gladiator / Marauder/Warrior.

Long live the tiny tanks.

QFT. Love me some David vs. Goliath action.

Though, I don't mind a Lala as any of the other classes either. Or any of the races, really. I just don't have a heavy preference on who should be what.

I mean, it's hard to considering what's presented. A Lalafell leading the Sultansworn, the Pugilist guild's two star pupils being Lalafell, a brainy Lalafell Marauder. Anyone and everyone has the chance to be an utter badass regardless of stature.

Conversely, I find myself struggling to find instances of the big, burly dudes being presented as soft and unassuming. Maybe I've missed instances of them, but where's the hulking Roe Conjurer tending to an injured fawn? Or a Manlander quietly going over the numbers behind a desk at the Arcanist's guild?

I'm sure there's people RPing that sort of thing, but there aren't as many NPCs that show the softer side behind the burls.

All Lalafell should be blacksmiths and armorsmiths, and they should act like the Dwarves in Oglaf.

I can only meet you halfway on that with Chachan, sorry. :(

(He's not nearly foul-minded enough to think up the gadgets Oglaf-dwarfs do.)

All Lalafell should be blacksmiths and armorsmiths, and they should act like the Dwarves in Oglaf.

Already learning. Blacksmith AF is so wonderful on lalafell. So is the armorsmith AF.

And the... and the...

Honestly I think Lalafell actually look good in alllll of the AF(and +1)

I'm not sure if I don't like them in any of them. @_@

On the subject of tiny tanks, I've always thought it more to do with the fact that it doesn't always have to a straight mitigation tank. It's possible for them to just be a distraction tank. Magical abilities to augment incoming damage and more of a focus on diverting it from your allies.

For many years, I played a tiny undead corpse. She loved candy because daddy said she wasn't supposed to have any in life. While it didn't make any sense for her to be effected by the sugar, shes hyperactive by personality and her armor never really fit properly. She just made a lot of noise and teared ass around and caused enough of a commotion that her friends could smash whatever got in their way. Being nimble and quick, had it's advantages. It made sense to me, she'd have been terrible at sneaking with all that armor clanging around.

Whenever I play these anything with the trinity format- I gravitate towards the tank classes. I like helping others and I don't mind being responsible for a parties well being if it means I need to get hit in the face for them. Mostly. For aesthetics, I love dual wielding. I was lucky in TERA that Warriors could cater to both of those.

But really, it comes down to how good my armor looks. I absolutely love plate. Sword and Board is almost always a must. Although, I can't get into it for this game. Marauders are pretty beast and I like their lore a lot.

As for my upcoming Au Ra?

Everything. Oh you bet you ass I'm going to rock them as everything.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my Miqo'te as an archer currently, and I doubt I'll be investing into the heavy classes/jobs. This is simply because he just looks so dainty. I can't really imagine her swinging a huge axe around, or wielding a sword and shield. 

However, if they were to introduce a kind of Musketeer class, who would use a rapier instead I think I could imagine that with E'rhina. 

For now she will be a bard, but I'd like her to have White Mage, Summoner, Black Mage, possibly Dragoon, and definitely at least rouge, if not ninja. 

For my Keeper, she'll be forever a spellcaster. Though I may have her pick up bard at some point. She just seems a tad more refined than my Seeker, and has a less of a necessity to know how to use weapons.

I'm personally adoring my Roe Ninja.

I feel as though it lets me play a martial combatant who's more than capable of using his hands or legs, yet still has some traditional blades to fall back on. As much as I love the monk, it isn't turning out to be the sort of Monk I wanted, or rather aesthetically, I'm just not that into the clunky fist-grips a lot of their weapons appear to be built around.

I just wish they had more chainmail options!

I also really dig how they look as paladins, but I think I preferred the animations and style of S/S and Two-Handed Axes on male Miq.

This thread gave me the idea to roll an IC Male Roe, likely fairly huge, and go straight to Rogue/Ninja.

Already have a basic backstory for it, too - though it borrows some cliché tropes of an an accident then overcoming the disability throughout rigorous training and dedicating themselves to another path.

Name him Silent Mountain.

The whole "multiple jobs" thing with characters, the way I deal with it is not that say, a character is an established Warrior, Paladin and Bard, but you could argue proficient in different weapons. I would just approach it realistically and the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind. Also, I would say with some skills out there, it wouldn't take much to learn something similar. I am primarily a Scholar, that is where I am most proficient, however, I have learned to Summon one egi, I have picked up a lance, but am physically weak and not very steady (years of alcoholism), so I'd be fairly easy to beat in a variety of circumstances. I also play about with a bit of alchemy, I am well read and of somewhat scientific mind, just a lot of the time, alchemy results in failure, but has got it right before now. Astrologian may be my next venture, not because "ZOMG new shiny shiny", because he'd have jumped on the Ninja or Rogue bandwagon, which I levelled fairly quickly on him, no, as somebody who navigates at see, he already has a keen interest in the stars, he of course is a healer (considered one of the crew's medics), a part of his story (even before the announcement of Heavensward) has brought him to do business with Ishgardians and of course, the card element would appeal to him greatly - not to mention is being related to a science of sorts. He won't suddenly become an awesome Astralogian, but he will be a fairly fast learner compared to say if he was starting out as a Warrior, so he will be able to learn enough within a sensible period for him to be able to make use of it.

However, I am getting a lot of fun playing as a Pirate Captain Miqo'te Scholar. It can create a lot of interesting scenarios. We have somebody who is blundering idiot, drunkard and somebody who used to have a reputation of chasing other people's tails (I am constantly reminded ICly of the "they're nuns, not prostitutes" incident - his reputation has changes since he's mellowed a bit), yet somebody who is intelligent, capable of rational thought, able to come up with a plan, a strategist. He is often treated like a moron, because he can make stupid decisions, has an ego that's grown as I've RP'd him (but he has achieved feats to give him said ego - he was very humble when I started him) and generally comes off as a buffoon, however, he will have moments where his depth comes through and his better qualities stand out. But he won't lose his reputation for being a buffoon, for instance, sitting in the Sands and letting slip he's a pirate with a Brass Blade stood right near him - 2 reasons he did that: one, he's an idiot and two, he's overconfident about himself. Although he was arrested, he was let go without me even needing to use his "get out of jail free card" - though not something that I can use to infinity, he used to have one in Limsa Lominsa, however, after him basically "taking the piss" no longer gets that privilege. So he is slowly learning he's not untouchable and well, he's just been kidnapped ICly, so...he definitely knows. But he let himself get kidnapped so his crew could escape safely...so on that occasion it was a selfless act of bravery and not an over inflated ego. :P

But either way, he doesn't help his reputation with others. :D

On the other side of things, I like playing a lore friendly Sultansworn Seeker of the Sun, perhaps not lore typical because she is prepared to work with pirates and pay them to do work. The reason my character X'hayu agreed to be Sultansworn in the first place is because she and the Sultana share similar interests, but is often weakened by the Syndicate, so X'hayu is unafraid to undermine the Syndicate, work behind their backs and without the Sultana knowing, so she can have complete deniability should X'hayu even get found out. She is one of my characters that has a lot going on for her. She is a two weapon character, bow and a sword and has some experience with magitek engineering, though minimal. She was with her tribe until age 16 (so a lot of interesting tribal lore), was recruited into The Garlean Empire, defected later and worked hard protecting and helping Ala Mhigan refugees as she felt guilty for the things she had done for The Empire - it was through her selfless deeds that she was recruited among the Sultansworn. I also don't play her as a law enforcement as I have seen some Sultansworn played, she will direct people to the Brass Blades normally. Much of her work is about aiding the needy, which the Sultana wishes she could do, but having the resources and the support of the Syndicate is difficult - X'hayu has the means to help some, particularly with the help of my pirate crew, a little theft and smuggling to help the needy. A noble cause. :P

I'd have to say.. Miqo'te Scholar(only because I glamoured my main's sch gear and it just suits him perfectly.) Roegayden Warrior, Lalafell Blackmage, Hyur WHM and Elezen Bard.

Though my opinion changes based on Character Appearance and their glamour. Like my friend is a Miqo'te WHM and she made it suit her perfectly. But Roe War is always a must for me. :> (especially female roe warriors holy crap. idk why im so attracted to them but i am.)

I currently play a Roe monk, with ninja secondary. She's no more than a grumpy, fist-happy thug with a personal code, and little understanding of Aether, and how it affects her and the world. However, some developments have her delving into a world she can't really hope to ever understand, which is going to lead me to retiring her for 3.0. 

She's only a tick above the shortest possible height for a Roe. I play her having more of a gymnast's build. Those women have some serious muscle and tone, and are exceptionally lithe.

My Au Ra will be primarily ninja. Super agile, bit of an instigator. I have this crazy conceptual idea for her. I'm not really sure how well-received it will be, given that I want her to have a sort of unconventional weapon. I have a habit of deviation and extrapolation with many of my characters. I'll work that out visually, first, before I commit to it.

I generally just treat the various jobs/classes as largely being an OOC thing. Graeham isn't a ROG or a NIN - he's just a mercenary that happens to use daggers as his weapon of choice.

In due time I'll develop him into using a gun instead when the MCH is added to the game.