2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!)

Sooooo many people arguing back and forth on whether or not the localization was a game changer.

To me, the localization gave Midgardsormr's words a different tone. I thought him more... sinister? Kind of... Enemy of my enemy type of thing. (Enemy of Ascians, yay! help!).

To be honest reading the JPN->ENG kinda gave me even happier feelings about having cute midgardsormr watching me as I make my own path.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UMMMMMMMMM so, speaking of Godbert...

OxrnIfo.png

He just randomly showed up to the cafe above Rowena's House of Splendors.

UciGwCV.png

And has a conversation with the Carbuncle about how much he approves of this establishment.

w2Oo9bQ.png

And then he starts talking about how the oil on his body glistens in the light of the Carbuncle...

I was so caught off guard by the appearance I forgot to grab screenshots of the text bubbles, but now waiting at the Cafe for a repeat visit. Will update when I have the text!

It's Hammer Time.

Y1sfFBTsfTA

Not fair! Why does he always have his LB bar full whenever something needs to be done? And his LB is flashier than Meteor or Final Heaven! That bastard!

I do hope the job-specific LBs end up looking good (they're also only changing the level 3 LBs, apparently, which means they should be suitably flashy - hoping for something really nice with DRG and NIN).

Let me ask you, though, Final Fantasy faithful: How many late-arriving NPCs who seemingly are more competent than your current party survive, again? I can think of more than a few examples where we've met someone who'd be a GREAT addition to our group who... doesn't last more than a chapter or three.

You mean like (Final Fantasy II, IV, and VI spoilers):

this guy Tellah_GBA_Menu.gif and this guy FF6_General_Leo.png and this guy Banon_menu.png and pretty much everyone in Final Fantasy II who fills the fourth slot of your party until the very end of the game?

Yeah, I kind of saw it coming the first time she got blasted before even returning to the Rising Stones. :/

It's Hammer Time.

Not fair! Why does he always have his LB bar full whenever something needs to be done? And his LB is flashier than Meteor or Final Heaven! That bastard!

I do hope the job-specific LBs end up looking good (they're also only changing the level 3 LBs, apparently, which means they should be suitably flashy - hoping for something really nice with DRG and NIN).

I'm hoping for something akin to Freya's "Dragon's Crest" skill from FF9 for DRG.

tumblr_nili8kXLKT1twz8gbo1_250.gif

tumblr_nili8kXLKT1twz8gbo2_250.gif

tumblr_nili8kXLKT1twz8gbo3_250.gif

I'm hoping for something akin to Freya's "Dragon's Crest" skill from FF9 for DRG.

tumblr_nili8kXLKT1twz8gbo1_250.gif

tumblr_nili8kXLKT1twz8gbo2_250.gif

tumblr_nili8kXLKT1twz8gbo3_250.gif

I love the Freya incarnation of Dragoon in IX! All of her Dragon Magic was just amazing support. Reis Wind and Lancer and White Draw mmmm! (Yeah, can you tell Freya was never NOT in my party when I had the choice?)

I actually wish the limit breaks were less flashy if anything. Hopefully they won't take too long to perform so I can dish out as much damage as possible before and afterwards. I've seen a lot of people die due to unfortunate combo attacks happening during the animation sequence.

become the living vessel for Zodiark's return by Elidibus' hand

...can this happen so we can FINALLY KILL HER and move on to a character that's actually interesting?

I'd rather take orders from Hildibrand at this point. He'll be more competent.

Saying we should expect Moenbryda to bite it because she actually did shit doesn't make it less frustrating that she does, but rather, it makes it more frustrating that the Scions, aka the NPCs you interact with the most, are about as deep as cardboard.

Also, you could say that Y'shtola is safe from harm not because of her Limsa connections (because fat fucking chance they'll revisit the city again what with the focus being on Ul'dah and then wholly on Ishgarde/Heavensward) but rather because Phil from Marketing will veto anything that happens to her. How the fuck she made it as the FFXIV representative in Theatrhythm CC over literally anyone else.

It's definitely worth asking some questions regarding Minfilia next time there's one of those Q&A sessions with the developers. My partner's actually getting into the game and doing the early quests for the first time as I write this and already he's very tired of her character.

Though as someone who has come to this game from WoW I'm already used to awful, terrible characters being favourites of the developers and forced into the spotlight at every turn. She's the Jaina Proudmoore/Thrall of Eorzea.

I actually wish the limit breaks were less flashy if anything. Hopefully they won't take too long to perform so I can dish out as much damage as possible before and afterwards. I've seen a lot of people die due to unfortunate combo attacks happening during the animation sequence.

This is more about gameplay than the story that has been presented to us so far but..

OMFG THIS YES.

I sincerely hope that the animations for LB3 were not as long as they are now. The timing on them can be -very- finnicky, MAKE SURE NO MECHANICS ARE GONNA HAPPEN!!1111

Seriously. Doing LB3 during Tethers or seconds too late after Heavensward... fuck. D:

I want 2.55 already. Fuck Gold Saucer and Zodiac. idgaf about them.

MORE STORY PLEASE.

I won't lie, I was extremely happy playing along with this story line as opposed to some of the older MSQs. Not to mention, I really enjoyed Keeper of the Lake as a dungeon.

inb4 "I know you're on a floating continent malms and malms into the sky, but could you return to the Rising Stones so we can have a brief conversation that is totally possible to be had over Linkpearl? That would be greeaat..."

3.1, they move her out of Mor Dhona to establish the Risen Stones, but you still have to return there every freaking quest.

In so far as the LBs are concerned, they can be flashy as they want, just make them cancellable.

I won't lie, I was extremely happy playing along with this story line as opposed to some of the older MSQs. Not to mention, I really enjoyed Keeper of the Lake as a dungeon.

It's sort of strange, I think that the new storyline is perhaps the most hit or miss with the playerbase that they have had. I see a lot of people who just didn't like it at all, and I see a lot of people who loved it.

Personally I feel like it was a bit short, the reason they gave us for splitting up the story was because there was too much, but I kind of feel like there was less of it this patch than there was in any of the previous ones, save perhaps the 2.1 storyline which was 90% fetch quests. I kind of feel like they could have just included it all into one patch, World of Darkness was more than enough to keep people logging in and playing, at least for that weekly quest and weekly drop.

inb4 "I know you're on a floating continent malms and malms into the sky, but could you return to the Rising Stones so we can have a brief conversation that is totally possible to be had over Linkpearl? That would be greeaat..."

3.1, they move her out of Mor Dhona to establish the Risen Stones, but you still have to return there every freaking quest.

In so far as the LBs are concerned, they can be flashy as they want, just make them cancellable.

Even better solution would be to make the user immune to most damage while animation locked. I say "most" because I could see situations where it could be abused by people, but for the most part you should be immune to a lot of things while using it.

It was mentioned somewhere before that this looked to be about "half" of what they had planned for 2.5's story. Now it seems like 2.55 will have much more story to go through.

It's very possible that it was the best place to have a stop in this junction than later on. Narration and story telling is not just about telling a story but how you do it as well. They most likely felt stopping later would not be the best way to tell it.

It was mentioned somewhere before that this looked to be about "half" of what they had planned for 2.5's story. Now it seems like 2.55 will have much more story to go through.

It's very possible that it was the best place to have a stop in this junction than later on. Narration and story telling is not just about telling a story but how you do it as well. They most likely felt stopping later would not be the best way to tell it.

My point was that the current 2.5 story was short enough that, if this is about halfway through it, they didn't need to split it at all. They could have included the full MSQ and it would have been maybe a little longer than the storyline from 2.3 or 2.4.

As I've linked into a previous 2.5 thread,

Patch 2.5's main scenario alone is full of content

Q/A Text

Q Will the Main Scenario to be added to Part 2 be even longer than the one on Part 1?

A About 2/3rds of the Main Scenario planned for Patch 2.5 were selected to be released with Part 1, but since the Scenario grew a lot after the cutting point was decided, Part 2 will end up being even larger.

Q I suppose it's best to not compare it with the Main Scenarios we have seen in the patches so far.

A Indeed. I played through the content we have for Part 2's Main Scenario from start to finish, and despite ignoring all the other content, it still took me quite a long time to finish. We also have a lot of cutscenes and voiced scenes, so the volume is quite large.

Q So the Main Scenario will be the focus of Patch 2.5 Part 2, right?

A We want Part 2 to be the grand finale for the "Realm Reborn Chapter" of the story. I can't go into more details, but players will also be able to take part in the Battle of Ishgard, which will be a major part of the Main Scenario. Also, I want to work on fixing the little things that our fans complain about before the release of Heavensward, so we will be releasing hotfixes as usual.

Q I'm curious about the details of this Battle of Ishgard.

A I will be able to talk about it after we release the patch.

Nevermind the fact that the main story quests in previous patches had you going through the stupidest lines ever. Walk through sylphland infested area here. Use X on B mob/item. Travel from Gridania to Uldah and back. Travel through Coerthas without many places to teleport here and here. Most of the time spent in those quests were spent doing stupid travel and not a lot of meat in them.

OxrnIfo.png

UciGwCV.png

And has a conversation with the Carbuncle about how much he approves of this establishment.

w2Oo9bQ.png

And then he starts talking about how the oil on his body glistens in the light of the Carbuncle...

I was so caught off guard by the appearance I forgot to grab screenshots of the text bubbles, but now waiting at the Cafe for a repeat visit. Will update when I have the text!

UPDATE!!

So I told my friends about this event and they sat around at the cafe for a while. We didn't see Godbert return, but a friend of mine did see... MOMODI!

Momodi in Revenant's Toll

First Godbert, now Momodi in Revenant's Toll. What could this mean? I know Momodi pledged her support with offering supplies to the Domans when they first arrived, but Godbert veto'd providing the Domans sanctuary in Ul'dah. Is he trying to make recompense? Is he helping to fund the construction of Revenant's Toll? The mysteries!

Godbert refusing to aid the Domans doesn't mean he's not willing to spend time at the Revenant's Toll cafe. I really think it's more that he heard there was a new cafe in Revenant's Toll and figured he'd spend time there in-between hunting chimeras in his underwear or whatever else he does.

My guess is that we'll start seeing many familiar faces spend time at the cafe. It's to carry a little bit more lore about them and show more facets of their personality.

Also, Momodi's allowed to chill, and I can't imagine she can do that at the Quicksand.

ALSO, GODBERT STOP HOGGIN' THE OIL AND GIVE SOME TO ME. KELL GLISSENIN' IN HIS MNK OUTFIT IS THE ONE THING FUCKIN' MISSING TO MAKE IT PERFECT.

OxrnIfo.png

UciGwCV.png

w2Oo9bQ.png

UPDATE!!

So I told my friends about this event and they sat around at the cafe for a while. We didn't see Godbert return, but a friend of mine did see... MOMODI!

Momodi in Revenant's Toll

First Godbert, now Momodi in Revenant's Toll. What could this mean? I know Momodi pledged her support with offering supplies to the Domans when they first arrived, but Godbert veto'd providing the Domans sanctuary in Ul'dah. Is he trying to make recompense? Is he helping to fund the construction of Revenant's Toll? The mysteries!

IIRC Godbert wasn't on the syndicate at the time of the vote on the Domans.

Who owns that Carbuncle?

There's a Miqo'te girl who wandered around at ground level calling out for her "Ruby" in the last patch; I always saw her and never ran into the carbuncle, so I panicked thinking she was looking for a little kid... I'm not sure if she has the same route now, but she was always walking around by the northern gate area.

Nevermind the fact that the main story quests in previous patches had you going through the stupidest lines ever. Walk through sylphland infested area here. Use X on B mob/item. Travel from Gridania to Uldah and back. Travel through Coerthas without many places to teleport here and here. Most of the time spent in those quests were spent doing stupid travel and not a lot of meat in them.

The same thing could be said about the current storyline though. You do a few small quests running back and forth talking to people then you do a dungeon, then you do a bit more back and forth, then you go to Northern Thanalan, run around clicking on objects, talk to some more people, run around Northern Thanalan looking for shiny spots, fight mobs, run around talking to people, cutscene, boss fight, run around talking to people, the end.

I would like to think that the story content for this patch was short because they wanted to get Dragons and the dark wizard guys out of the way so they can finish up with a ton of content for the ending of the Ul'dah arc.

It makes sense as well if they did it to finish the arc's separately. That last two major patches (2.4 and first part of 2.5) focused on Ishgard for the buildup to heavensward as well as finishing up the Ul'dah questline. It makes sense they would segment these seperately so they then only need to focus on finishing one arc at a time. With Dragons mostly out of the way and ascians out as well, its mostly just going to be about Ul'dah stuff or finishing that up at least.