2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!)

I have a suspicion that Yda, Papalymo and the rest of the "useless characters" are going to gain an awful lot more affection with whatever events unfold as 2.5 moves into its third part. Since the trailer had them handling matters during Ul'dah's coming dissolve, I really feel like we're gonna have them turn the corner.

Or at least, here's hoping so.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(and the whole ZOMG THANCRED IS POSSESSED was weak as balls btw)

It's actually very cleverly done. If you talk to Thancred between story missions, he starts to always sound out of breath or distracted, and he starts wearing a snazzy new necklace a few missions before even that. It's very intelligently and subtly acknowledged before the reveal - not that you'd be able to call it coming, but it's not just a blind WHAT A TWEET moment. They lay the foundation.

That being said, Momodi is in the MSQ, and no one can say a single bad thing about her.

Potential thread derailment here, but this seemed like the best place to post it just in case of spoileration to others who may have not done it yet.

I ran (finally) WP Hard last night. Soooo fun...but what I'm posting about was the victory cutscene. I just had to say that I am so happy I decided to not skip it. Absolutely LOST IT with lols.

You go, Tonbabies. You freakin' go.

Also as an aside, I just have to say how delighted I am that the entire quest to go there is handed out and turned in to a gay couple.

WP HM is love all around.

Something unrelated: I was beside myself with joy when I saw the name of the first boss in Keeper of the Lake. Einhander is easily one of my favorite Square games. Not to mention, the boss functions in a way that resembles the games, using its arm to pick up various weapons to use against you and blowing stuff up strategically to cause damage to you. There even was one that briefly emerged with a shield canister in the Midgarsormr bossfight called Astraea, like the ship in the game. I hope this is a sign Square hasn't forgotten about Einhander and will continue to do stuff with it later. In any case, that dungeon was a lot of fun even without the references, but that personally made me super happy.

Yeah what I saw with the couple who were essentially exiled for their love... it was because they were interracial and not because they were same sex.

It goes to show that the cultural divide of races is far bigger than there would be about same sex couples.

((Almost makes me wonder if there is no taboo because of procreation. For a world where children could be considered precious because of the short lifespans, I would have thought that a same sex couple (by earth standards not able to breed in coupling by themselves) would face much more ridicule. Yes I'm totally joking about it, as if they could breed together etc etc.))

What's even more interesting about the Wanderer's Palace HM quest is that the gay couple doesn't talk about their being the same gender directly at all as a problem, but they do so about being an interracial couple.

Says a lot about Eorzean culture.

Given that you an do an Eternal Bond with someone of the same gender and no one bats an eye about it in the game, this isn't surprising at all. There are still a lot of racial prejudice that we see quite often in the game however, especially involving the Miqo'te, so it's really not that big of a shocker they would gloss over the same sex couple but not the interracial couple part.

Potential thread derailment here, but this seemed like the best place to post it just in case of spoileration to others who may have not done it yet.

I ran (finally) WP Hard last night.  Soooo fun...but what I'm posting about was the victory cutscene.  I just had to say that I am so happy I decided to not skip it.  Absolutely LOST IT with lols.

You go, Tonbabies.  You freakin' go.

I think this is just to show the players that the Tonberries remain not anything to fuck with, and it's really just because the Tonberries themselves did not expect that particular Mamool Ja clan to be hostile. Aka they got punked yo.

I like that nobody seems to raise an eyebrow in regards to same-sex pairings. Eorzea doesn't need to mirror real world issues and neither does it need to revolve around medieval or religious morality.

I really like characters who just happen to be gay instead of characters that exist as a walking stereotype or one trick pony.

On that note, I've noticed that they NPCs showing up only appear on your screen. I was standing there with a friend and he was commenting how one of them were there, but they didn't show up on my screen. No one at all! I imagine this is so that people don't downright swarm the NPC when they want to play triple triad. >>;

What's even more interesting about the Wanderer's Palace HM quest is that the gay couple doesn't talk about their being the same gender directly at all as a problem, but they do so about being an interracial couple.

Says a lot about Eorzean culture.

Given that you an do an Eternal Bond with someone of the same gender and no one bats an eye about it in the game, this isn't surprising at all. There are still a lot of racial prejudice that we see quite often in the game however, especially involving the Miqo'te, so it's really not that big of a shocker they would gloss over the same sex couple but not the interracial couple part.

Do not kill the messenger on this one, but this is because Eternal Bonding isn't a marriage. It looks like a marriage, it quacks like a marriage, but it is not a marriage. No necessarily at least. It CAN be a marriage, but it can just as easily not be one. 

This and it is preformed by an ecclesiastical body that while certainly recognized by the other city states, is not the end all be all authority for them in terms of religion. That distinction goes to the city-states own existing religious institutions (the Fain, the Thaumaturges, etc.). One can assume that each city-state has their own marriage customs, ceremonies, etc.

Lastly, while interracial marriage is certainly a thing, getting every race and tribe to sign off on it as a whole would probably be a little trickier. Duskwights and Wildwoods seeking to get bonded or married would likely have people in their respective tribes screaming bloody murder of the idea. The same can probably be said for others.

Just some food for thought.

I FINALLY finished all the Hildy stuffs last night. And now I wish we had some weaponized frying pans. <3

What a series of quests. I hope Hildy comes back in a little while. I think a break from him would keep people recharged and ready for him to arrive. Though I'm quite curious as to what connection the Gold Saucer has to the Mandervilles....

Guess we'll have to Look Forward To It™

What a series of quests.  I hope Hildy comes back in a little while.  I think a break from him would keep people recharged and ready for him to arrive.  Though I'm quite curious as to what connection the Gold Saucer has to the Mandervilles....

Guess we'll have to Look Forward To It™

Well, Hildy certainly went... Heavensward at the end of that. So I'd wager we won't see him until then.

Manderville Gold Saucer? I'd say financed by Godbert.