2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!)

I'd wager that this will be conveniently ignored like, y'know, the Beady Eye in cities.

In so far as the pact with Midgardsormr goes, think we're all jumping the gun a bit here. 2.5 isn't even close to done (two more patches!) with MORE UL'DAH MSQ COMING and likely the setup to Heavensward, which will include more Midgardsormr goodness.

Also, obvious betrayal for Teledji from the 1st and 3rd unit of the Crystal Braves incoming. The setup wasn't subtle, and quite frankly I just shook my head. Ilsabard just CONVENIENTLY has his unit in Northern Than? You're doing a shady transaction with the Lalafell who's name I forget but all he talks about is how much money he's worth/making?

C'mon now.

On the subject of the Ascian being a dumb villain, I think he did his job - In that he was a new character made solely for the purpose of getting killed. Had it been anyone we actually cared about in terms of Ascians we'd be angry that they went out like punks, and I'd rather the fight itself (where he's frighteningly efficient if your group isn't on the ball - my group's 4 wipes to comets attest to it) show how competent he is than bumbling through cutscenes and then just groaning at our OWN incompetence.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ilsebard's coming backstab is definitely being telegraphed harder than a dungeon boss, for sure...unless there's some other little twist that's coming above and beyond that. But I doubt it.

I'm most compelled by what Midgardsormr is up to. My head is just still whirring with what he could possibly be working towards and what it all means for Ishgard.

Recall, too, that the preview trailer for this patch had Iceheart just standing there at the bridge to Ishgard destroying the ward. So it'll be definitely interesting to see where she fits into this chorus thing. Assuming she hears it. Or if not, Middy's reaction to it all.

Man I can't wait for this all to pull together. Meantime, I'm eager to tank runs and unlock the HMs and wait for Gold Saucer goodness. :D

Also, I have to pick up the Hildy line back up. Just recently beat Greg, so it's time to get that whole thing going.

If you're doing Hildy all in a row, some of the cameos in the 2.5 line won't surprise you, but you'll enjoy it all the more because you'll have a greater idea of the impact he can have. Also, don't discount ANYTHING you remember from that questline - It all comes back and ties into the epilogue quite nicely.

It's a very fun line that blends seriousness and the Hildy brand (pun... sorta intended) of humor that made the quests so danged enjoyable. Honestly, in my opinion, it's much better written than the MSQ by a mile.

I've not done the Big Keep fight, mind, but I hear it's a fun one.

I remember reading some theorizing at one point that the Ascians are molding the PC as much as the Scions, so Middy's comment about whether we're a tool or not had me raising an eyebrow.

Hydaelyn's power is fading - remember, she barely had enough power to block the one Ultima and you had to destroy the Weapon before the second one goes off. Perhaps trading the weaning power of a loving, caring figure for the blessing of a powerful wyrm readying himself to return to the scene is for the best. Especially since he's basically kicking you in the pants and being all "pay attention and start thinking for yourself."

Of course, I only just unlocked the new trial in the MSQ, so there could easily be more stuff I'm missing.

... I just really wanted /hildy, okay? Also wanted to give Odin a shot and we bashed our heads against that wall until realizing we didn't have enough DPS to reach 15% before the seven minute marker, let alone finish him off. Also WoD.

There was a lot to do!

WELL THEN.

Massive spoiler time:

Midgardsormr TAKES AWAY YOUR BLESSING OF LIGHT. YOU BECOME AN EVERYMAN.

Congratulations, you are now nothing special. Rejoice.

Remains to be seen if Blessing of Light is the same as the Echo. I am guessing it is not. If it was, the Ascians would still not be able to enter, because Minfillia.

The Echo is not taken away.  Remember, the Ascians speak an entirely different language than Eorzean. One who doesn't have the Echo, such as Moenbryda would not be able to understand it, which she stated plainly when she asked you what the hell whatshisface was talking about.

The Echo is not the same thing as the Blessing of Light, the blessing was introduced as of 2.0, while the Echo has several areas both in 1.0 and 2.0 where it is used to understand those you normally wouldn't be able to.

If nothing else the latest Ascian fight was a lot better than the laughably simple version back in the Praetorium in terms of game mechanics. It's not the most difficult fight out there but the mechanics cannot be ignored or there's a guaranteed wipe.

But the Blessing was what kept me from being primal tempered! T_T

HOW WILL I GET A PONY NAO :<

I'm joking. I'm pretty sure it's implied if not outright stated that the pact made with Midgardsormr is in fact stronger in its protections for us than Hydaelyn's because of her waning presence/power.

Also, I'm totally getting into the whole idea that the mount you get is Midgardsormr.

I will gripe about the game's usage of "era-speech" that they had in the main story quest. I was more than annoyed having to "translate" the text for myself to make sure I understood what was going on.

But the Blessing was what kept me from being primal tempered! T_T

HOW WILL I GET A PONY NAO :<

Never give up hope for ponii.

I'm pretty sure it's implied if not outright stated that the pact made with Midgardsormr is in fact stronger in its protections for us than Hydaelyn's because of her waning presence/power.

Considering death was a nap to this guy and his ghost was able to breathe life in to dead dragons? I'd daresay that Hydaelyn ain't got nothin' on Middy.

I suspect that the Au Ra may end up being Dravanian defectors who aren't all that interested in destroying Ishgard. We can only speculate, of course, but I think the Holy War isn't going to be as black and white as people were initially led to believe. Neither Shiva or Midgardsormr strike me as outright villains so I can see that theme continuing into the next expansion.

I suspect that the Au Ra may end up being Dravanian defectors who aren't all that interested in destroying Ishgard. We can only speculate, of course, but I think the Holy War isn't going to be as black and white as people were initially led to believe. Neither Shiva or Midgardsormr strike me as outright villains so I can see that theme continuing into the next expansion.

I am definitely of the mind that the Holy War isn't something that Ishgard is Right!!!! Dravanians Wrong!!!!

The Ascians have had a hand in the Ishgardian dealings. Considering their "immortality" I wager that they've had a hand in Ishgard for a while.

I'd like to believe that Midgardsormr is trying to act as a liaison or "Navi" for you for the future.

I am bemused that they introduced Moenbryda in 2.4 and then kill her off in 2.5. Though the Ascian got it even worse, being killed off in the same patch he appears in (which is the equivalent of introducing a major villain only for them to be defeated in the same episode in a TV series - what is this, a Super Sentai show?), though he did at least put up quite a good fight before he went.

They served their purposes, I guess.

On another note, what did Midgardsormr mean when he said he had a pact with Hydaelyn, and what did he mean when he said he "consent"? Consent to trading places with her, to lessen her burden, perchance? I mean, that seems like an awfully nice thing for a dragon to do, but I wouldn't put it past him. The fact that he intercepted the Garleans in the first place indicates to me that he probably isn't a bad guy, though he does have that typically Dravanian condescending manner.

I wish he told us why he intervened in the Battle of Silvertear Lake. An explanation of that would be incredibly revealing... which is why I guess they haven't told us yet.

I wish they'd killed off Minfilia instead. I do hope I'm not the only one who finds her role as the constant damsel in distress very grating. You'd think that she'd have learned her lesson after being tortured by Livia and at least invested in some sort of self defense - even if it's as simple as a hidden dagger or some armour.

I wish they'd killed off Minfilia instead. I do hope I'm not the only one who finds her role as the constant damsel in distress very grating. You'd think that she'd have learned her lesson after being tortured by Livia and at least invested in some sort of self defense - even if it's as simple as a hidden dagger or some armour.

Perhaps if she'd been born a Roe and carried a greataxe...? I can't see that backfiring at all.

There's also the strange fact that right now, I think only two people have the Echo canonically; WoL and Minf. I thought at first that the Scions must have it, but Moen didn't, and then I remembered that the Path of the Twelve was initially constructed around finding other people with it and trying to understand it.

Then all of those people died.

Even though there is more of the patch to look forward too, I don't think they'd do something like taking away the blessing of Hydaelyn without that being something long term. Also doesn't sound like our new little minion will be doing anything anytime soon save watching us and giving the occasional commentary.

People were speculating why we weren't being given a new Primal fight. This is a pretty good answer why. We're arguably susceptible to anything that tempers now!

Unless we're effectively "claimed" by Middy now and things continue as normal.

In the WoD Quest Line..

Was...

Was that Dyed HA Armor!?

I am not sure if this has appeared before I kind of... skim cutscenes liberally most of the time >_>. But... But I am pretty sure that was Dyed HA armor. I really hope this is foreshadowing of something they give us later! (And sorry if it is not exactly new news)

I'd say it's worth watching each cut-scene at least once. Even if they're tedious (which is what I find the Hildibrand stuff to be) there's some hidden lore gems that serve to flesh out the game world and impact one's role-play as a result.