Heavensward Jobs, and Au Ra Lore now available

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some neat stuff in here. 

Dark Knight: Ishgardian batman. Vigilantes who cleanse evil from Ishgard without the sanction of the Holy See. 

Machinist: Born of Ishgard's desperation, they take inspiration from Garlond Ironworks to create their own Skysteel Manufactory, using technology to turn the tide against Dravania.

Astrologians: Literally no connection with Ishgard whatsoever. I am still baffled by this decision. You'd think this one would be the most obviously connected with Ishgard, but it's the only one that isn't in any way.

Astrologians: Literally no connection with Ishgard whatsoever. I am still baffled by this decision. You'd think this one would be the most obviously connected with Ishgard, but it's the only one that isn't in any way.

Having said that, regarding Machinist the Ishgardians don't seem to be above replicating already existing technology. Perhaps they took the bare bones from Sharlayan Astromancy to come up with their own Astrologians who live down at the Observatorium?

It was not at all mentioned that Astromancy had no connection with Ishgard. They just gave a history of the art, and apparently its origins are Sharlayan.

Having said that, regarding Machinist the Ishgardians don't seem to be above replicating already existing technology. Perhaps they took the bare bones from Sharlayan Astromancy to come up with their own Astrologians who live down at the Observatorium?

That would actually be really interesting, as it would follow more or less what happened on Earth. Sharlayan appears to be analogous to ancient Greece, where Ishgard is quite similar to medieval Germany, with heavy Christian influences. In the real world, Christian scholars delved deeply into astronomy and astrology, and they began by building off of the works of Greek astronomers, adapting it to their own theology. In the same way, it is entirely possible that Ishgardian astrologians are building upon the work of Sharlayan astrologians, and interpreting it according to their own beliefs.

tumblr_nbwvgj3BJP1qks73io1_400.gif

^Me right now. 

Finally some stuff! I don't like the fact that they made one of the au ri clans solitary and only adventuring on a "rare" occasion, mostly because it's rather restrictive when you go an RP it.. And though they left the door open, if you have twenty people doing it in your RP group/where you usually RP it probably wont feel as rare as it's supposed to be. 

But YAY for the other one. It's exactly what I was hoping for, and now I can start planning more for my little family sideproject.

I might be a minority here but I don't know that I actually like the DRK lore. As a concept, I think it's pretty cool... but for Dark Knight? Not so much, there is not really anything "dark" about it and it honestly sounds more like Paladin than Paladin does. How do they explain DRK using dark magic if they are supposed to be a job that is dedicated to defending the weak? It just seems a bit strange to me.

Edit: That being said, I am incredibly excited for the lore on the Au Ra, now I just have to decide which I want to be. I wanted to give him black scales, but the lore for Raen suits him way more. D: Also I like how they kinda made a jab at everyone who thought they would be related to Shiva and a Dragon.

I might be a minority here but I don't know that I actually like the DRK lore. As a concept, I think it's pretty cool... but for Dark Knight? Not so much, there is not really anything "dark" about it and it honestly sounds more like Paladin than Paladin does. How do they explain DRK using dark magic if they are supposed to be a job that is dedicated to defending the weak? It just seems a bit strange to me.

Edit: That being said, I am incredibly excited for the lore on the Au Ra, now I just have to decide which I want to be. I wanted to give him black scales, but the lore for Raen suits him way more. D: Also I like how they kinda made a jab at everyone who thought they would be related to Shiva and a Dragon.

I had the same impression as I was reading it. Very gallant and chivalrous for a Dark Knight.

I mean comparing it to FFXI's version where you had to quench the thirst of your blade with the blood of one hundred foes.... This seems very just and righteous for a Dark Knight, but we'll have to see. They made very little mention of what form the Darkness takes or what its purpose is to these knights... I hope that's where we'll find their more dark flavor.

I had the same impression as I was reading it. Very gallant and chivalrous for a Dark Knight.

I mean comparing it to FFXI's version where you had to quench the thirst of your blade with the blood of one hundred foes.... This seems very just and righteous for a Dark Knight, but we'll have to see. They made very little mention of what form the Darkness takes or what its purpose is to these knights... I hope that's where we'll find their more dark flavor.

Maybe they have to perform some sort of devil's gambit, give in to a dark power to gain the power to fight against corruption or something.

Astrologians not being inspired by Ishgarde actually makes sense. IIRC their studies of the stars are concentrated SOLELY on the Dravinian one, and ignore everything else. At best, they're scouting scientists.

Tying 'em to Sharlayan makes even more sense in that context.

I know I'm rollin' a Xaela Au Ra. Just gimme naming conventions.

So using Batman to announce Dark Knight wasn't just a one-time reference...

And to be honest I like this chivalrous take on Dark Knights. Dark Knights aren't just emo edgelords: they are knights.

I had almost no intention of using the DRK lore anyways, but I kinda feel like they should have just called them Knights instead of Dark Knights if they were going to make them... not so dark. In either case I'll reserve my opinion on them until I can see their job quests.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/heavensward/

"The pious Ishgardian clergy guide the flock, and the devout knights protectthe weak. Yet even the holiest of men succumb to the darkest of temptations.

None dare to administer justice to these sacrosanct elite residing outside the reach of the law. Who, then, defends the feeble from the transgressions of those meant to guide and protect them?

A valiant few take up arms to defend the downtrodden, and not even the holy priests and knights can escape their judgment. Pariahs in their own land, they are known by many as "dark knights."

These sentinels bear no shields declaring their allegiance. Instead, their greatswords act as beacones to guide the meek through darkness."

Today I learned I've been playing a non-Ishgardian Dark Knight since 1.0. Cool.

So using Batman to announce Dark Knight wasn't just a one-time reference...

And to be honest I like this chivalrous take on Dark Knights. Dark Knights aren't just emo edgelords: they are knights.

I had almost no intention of using the DRK lore anyways, but I kinda feel like they should have just called them Knights instead of Dark Knights if they were going to make them... not so dark. In either case I'll reserve my opinion on them until I can see their job quests.

I'm pretty sure the 'Dark' comes from the source of their power and not their moral standing!

*puts on his tinfoil farseeing cap*

Dark Knights are pariahs in their own lands. THANKS, SE, FOR GIVING US YET ANOTHER ISHGARDIAN-SPECIFIC CLASS.

Because the arguments over DRGs being all over Eorzea aren't enough!

Not Letting that hold me back. I'm gonna meet that conflict head on IC xD

Or ooc if people really wanna lore check meh.

tumblr_nbwvgj3BJP1qks73io1_400.gif

^Me right now. 

Finally some stuff! I don't like the fact that they made one of the au ri clans solitary and only adventuring on a "rare" occasion, mostly because it's rather restrictive when you go an RP it.. And though they left the door open, if you have twenty people doing it in your RP group/where you usually RP it probably wont feel as rare as it's supposed to be.

Have you not seen the number of Miqo'te men out there? :P