[Spoilers] Heavensward Lore Discussion

So I'm at that spot where you encounter Tiamat.

Yet, the only question I have is...

Where's Lich and Marilith?

Sure I mean the Kraken is TECHNICALLY present though I wouldn't call it as plot critical as, say, Tiamat.

Probably somewhere else.

I feel bad for Tiamat. 

Whereas Nidhogg was consumed with vengeance, she was consumed with regret for a far longer time. 

Anyone else noticed what Midgardsomr said? Dragons are aliens!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it was the spell. It was implied that the spell was forbidden not because it would lead to loss of sight but because failure of the spell was high and as such you would easily lose yourself in the Lifestream. Being lost in the aether led to being blind and as Y'shtola says, it was but a small price to pay to spend time in it. The long time she spent in the Lifestream seems to be the reason why she lost her sight.

Posting in here instead of the screenshot thread, but...

P92rULg.png

What the fuck is that? Looks Garlean, but at the same time, like a mecha-Bismarck.

Wha? No, that's totally Allagan design. The shape of the glowy bits is a dead giveaway.

Garlean constructs are much, much more subdued, usually much more hunks of metal than the crazy avant garde sci-fi the Allagans have going on.

I'm unconvinced that Y'shtola is actually blind. That's a fairly major impediment and development to deal with and most of the dialogue relating to Y'shtola's new capability has been fairly off-hand. She even mentioned at one point that Alphinaud "looked different".

I'm open to being wrong, but at the moment I am skeptical.

I have to wonder what Aymeric taking control of Ishgard means for the city's infrastructure as a whole. Is the Holy See or the Church as we know it dissolved completely? If Aymeric presumably revealed the truth behind the Dragonsong War to the populace, would the inquisition still be a thing, and if so would they still be looking for heretics, since the only dragons left are Nidhogg's mindless horde, and the heretics lead by Iceheart proper presumably disbanded?

If you go to the scholasti... Scholac... That fucking library in the Cathedral in Ishgard after finishing the MSQ, the NPCs in there all mention that they're busy revising the church's doctrine in light of the 'recent revelations'.

Matoya outright stated that Y'shtola was going to kill herself using aether sight in order to see. There's no more clear way she could have said it without uttering the phrase "you are blind".

No, she said that using her ability to see aether was dangerous. That doesn't saying anything in regard to normal sight or lack thereof.

Like I said, I'm open to being wrong. But the fact that blindness is a major issue and that it was never directly addressed at any point has me dubious.

Matoya out right ask when did you light fade from her eyes... Most then saying light in fact mean sight so I'm siding with Matoya out right questioning Y'shtola sudden blindness.

I know it's not her out right calling her blind but given the fact Y'shtola eyes are a milky white and the old witch finding it strange,I think the safe bet is cat girl is in fact blind in the way we see things.

But there's no implication that she's seeing with aether instead of normally; in fact I'd argue that her dialogue toward Alphinaud after her awakening exhibits her using aether sight in addition to regular sight (which would lend a bit more weight toward Matoya getting pissed off about it).

The argument for her being blind certainly exists, but it is not the only deduction that can be made from the scenes provided.

I had one of my character's eyes white and able to see aether due to an incident involving experimenting with aether that went wrong since before Y'shtola's thing was a thing.  Kinda super happy that it was justified by this.  

That being said, I think she is blind and forcing herself to see aether and that is what is killing her. She is most definitely blind though.

OK just... Let's just let that argument end, seeing as this discussion thread.

SO...... I'm I the only one questioning if Odin is really a primal based off of what Titamt said. I mean after all.... Odin seems more like something summoned by his sword (think the garuda sisters) making Zantetsuken more likely to being a primal. Also we have never seen any one praying for Odin.

It could mean the blade is real problem. Maybe as a stand in for the ultimate weapon that a hero might weld?

[18:19]Matoya: When did the light fade from your eyes?

[18:19]Y'shtola: I might have known that it would not escape your notice. It has been this way since I returned from the Lifestream. An aftereffect of the teleportation magick I invoked, most like.

[18:19]Matoya: They are called “forbidden spells” for a reason. What were you thinking, girl?

[18:19]Y'shtola: I have no regrets. I but did what was necessary to preserve the light of hope─to keep my promise to Minfilia.

[18:19]Y'shtola: Besides, it afforded me the rare opportunity to wander the aether─a once in a lifetime experience.

[18:19]Matoya: I need not tell you that it consumes your very life force to see by sensing the aether around you. Take care of yourself, do you hear me?

[18:19]Y'shtola: I will, Master Matoya. And thank you.

So it may actually be the spell. Perhaps she's only slightly impaired. Perhaps everyone is wondering why she is getting by so easily and thinking "Oh well it seems like it's not a big deal." Also, it seems implied that Y'shtola doesn't expect everyone to notice it so easily.

OK just... Let's just let that argument end, seeing as this discussion thread.

SO...... I'm I the only one questioning if Odin is really a primal based off of what Titamt said. I mean after all.... Odin seems more like something summoned by his sword (think the garuda sisters) making Zantetsuken more likely to being a primal. Also we have never seen any one praying for Odin.

It could mean the blade is real problem. Maybe as a stand in for the ultimate weapon that a hero might weld?

What if it's the players who pray for him to spawn so they can get their drops....hmmmmmm?

jkjk

Good point though.