Does your character have any pets?

Dravus

...and if so, how do you weave them into your role-play?

Graeham recently acquired a pet after stumbling across a stray gaelikitten within the Sea of Clouds. He'd caught sight of the larger, more feral flying bundles of fur and whilst fascinated by them he quickly ran away when they tried to scratch and bite him to death. He couldn't bring himself to raise his sword against them.

During his comical retreat he heard a gaelikitten cry from within some bushes and after nursing the injured creature back to health it seemed eager to follow him. Since then he's smuggled it back to his residence within The Goblet and I portray the gaelikitten - Lydia - as being very mischievous but surprisingly tame.

So far it's made for a few fun situations!

It's a difficult thing to do with Vira, since she usually sees pets as emergency food sources.

Her chocobo, Tebasaki, was named such because she intends to eat him if she ever is starving. Virara bears him no ill will; it's simply how she thinks. However, he is a surly animal and seems to actively dislike her. He doesn't always come when she whistles, and goes where he wants to. It is likely he is actually one of those strong Ishgardian flying chocobos, sold to her by mistake. Virara herself is ignorant of this, and has no idea his constant biting and attempting to throw her off means she isn't liked, and that he is improperly trained by his former handlers. Luckily, she is thick skinned in more than a figurative sense.

Virara sometimes collects large insects and hides them in small containers, but it might be inaccurate to consider these pets. This is a pastime that developed from observing people betting on insect-fighting matches, or "beetle sumo." I will probably use the Chigoe Larva pet to represent these bugs if she ever takes them with her.

Kiur generally collects stuffed animals and various plushes. She tends to have a squeaky toy beneath her helmet (When she wears one).

Not quite the same thing as pets but she certainly treats them like such. Names and all.

Do mounts count as pets? Shoshopu's got an adamantoise that's big enough to ride. It's from her family's "herd" but right now it's staying with her free company in its chocobo stables. It's not that much taller than one and they have about the same diet...

She also has a flowering mandragora that she accidentally planted and grew, but it usually just stays in her room. Being a planty thing it's a fairly low maintenance pet. She doesn't often bring it into public because she wouldn't want it to cause a scene... being a mandragora and all.

A bluebird. A friend knew how squee I was at getting one OOCly (I have birds IRL :D), and thus threw it into my RP by staging a scene. Now said bluebird "Kus" lives in Aysun's satchel and generally just follows her around at a distance--when she's not hiding in the satchel!

Chachan definitely does - even if I haven't done much with them RP-wise as of late (I have prans to, though!). I say "them" because there's one, relatively well-known one and a couple others that he's gotten via RP.

The first one is, obviously, Gran the Baby Behemoth - who has been Chachan's partner in crime for a while now. Picked up back when Chachan was still living in Ul'dah from a merchant that just wanted the nuisance gone, the too-big-for-his-britches porker is probably the most recognizable of Chachan's little crew. Chachan is heading out on a little adventure soon, and the little guy is definitely coming with - so he should be seeing some more action soon. Even without that, though, taking the baby behemoth out for walks has been the impetus for several RP run-ins.

However, there are two others - first is Icarus the Eggplant Knight, whom Chachan got as a prize for winning in a hide-and-seek style game held during the Coral Winter Games. I don't really do much with him, and my headcanon is that he's basically serving as a security guard for the FC's gardens - keeping away moles and nutkin and anything else that would harm his kindred vegetables. As such, I really don't use him unless I want a humorous backdrop on the Still Shore's lawn while RPing.

The other is Cake the Fat Kitten, who was given to Chachan by Kage before he went North. At the time, a close friend was not doing well and almost entirely bedridden - so Chachan left the kitten to keep her company. Once she improved, the kitten was basically left to be doted on and (over)fed by the Medical Staff. As such, even though Chachan did remember to go back and reclaim her, I think the damage is already done and she'll waddle her way back to the Medical Ward more often than not for more free snacks and scritchies.

Neither Gogon nor Judge have pets, though I kinda want a Gestahl for Gogon. Too bad they're Fat Cat 2.0 and ungodly expensive. :(

Roen too has a fat kitten, sent to her as a gift by Kage.

She is allergic to cats, sneezing or sniffling whenever they are nearby, but she did not have the heart to give the kitten away. But she also has not given it a name and she leaves it in the care of the innkeeper at the Forgotten Knight most of the time since she is currently on patrol duty in Coerthas.

But whenever she does return to Ishgard and her lodging at the inn, the kitten greets her with purrs and nudging of her hand and Roen does not turn it away. It is likely one of few things she allows herself to return any kind of affection lately considering her glum disposition.

Eddard doesn't have any though I feel it'd be fun if he had some cute little thing follow him around for a time. He'd get to act all gruffy and pretend it wasn't the damned cutest thing he'd ever seen as it playfully prodded his leg in an attempt to get his attention. It probably wouldn't be permanent though it'd be enjoyable.

Noope!

Jerciex has lived in barracks almost his whole life, sharing room with other Serpents.

Now he has own room in Free Company but company's secretary is strict when it comes to pets and Jerciex thinks he doesn't need pet. Beasts and wildlife should be there where they belong-> in nature

Asmodean has a pair of pets but he views them more as his only family left. First is Valdar, the former coeurl kitten when Asmo was young now a full adult. He could use her as a mount but seeing as he avoids every riding anything he doesn't.

His newest family is a baby Unicolt, whom he joking calls Halone. He came across her while on patrol in the westeren highlands and she imprinted on the midlander. He has leaves her in the care of the innkeep of the Forgotten Knight, while out doing work. He found her half frozen to death, he wants to avoid any chance of that happening while she is in his care.

I use Sleipnir to RP a dark unicorn as Jet'a's pet and mount (not as much to have a "sleipnir", but because the design of the other horses/unicorn mounts have a fucked up skeleton and no bardings / GC bardings only). It has been with him since he was introduced in the RP group and has plenty of character to have its own place in it. I suppose my RL knowledge of horses (I'm a former horse trainer) helps with that.

Corelyn has a deweaponized magitek bit she calls "Bit" that acts as a sort of security device and personal assistant. While it irritates her rather frequently with its constant nagging - often at her own request to do so - she is seldom seen without it.

Dail'a loves, loves coeurls. When he was young, he wanted to breed and train them as mounts and combat pets. When he left his tribe, he abandoned that dream to become an adventurer, instead. He is afraid, due to his lifestyle, of keeping a pet, because he wouldn't handle it well if he wound up getting it hurt or killed somehow, given his lifestyle.

A'kos has a few actually :D A somewhat tweaked mammet he thinks has fallen on its head a few to many times, but it handles simple logistical things for him. The other is his chocobo Lazlo, though he sees it as more of a companion and friend then a pet, part of the reason he wants a house is to get a personal stable for Laz so he's not left in strange and questionable stables across Eorzea.

The last I'm not sure if I'll do something IC yet. I love the midgardsomr pet, especially how it'll just sit on your shoulder after awhile. I have an idea for him finding it as a hatchling, but I want to give it more thought.

I would like a bit too, for more mechanical goodies, but I haven't found one yet.

Jad has a pet kitten named, rather aptly, Cat. He hasn't been able to come up with a name for her.

Although he found Cat rather annoying when they first met, she grew on him. Her favorite food is no longer his fingers, but he's got quite a few scars on his hands left by her tiny claws and teeth.

If mounts count, then her chocobo Snuffles is definitely on that list! Nahare takes very good care of her feathered friend. Spoils him rotten with treats, keeps him clean, and goes out for runs on him between jobs. She'll even take him out adventuring with her from time to time.

Even though it's not necessarily a "pet", per se, she does have a Wind-Up Moogle that her best friend/brother Nazyl gifted her when she was recovering from a serious injury.

Manari's animals are a major part of her character, and they have been since 1.0. I don't usually bring them into RP too much though. It seems animals are really popular, especially whenever there is a new minion, in RP now, so I usually just keep it low key.

Tiergan is followed a lot by a fat cat that he pretends not to like, but feeds when no one is looking. He kept calling it "cat" "it" "blob" so one day Flickering Ember named it "Pillow" and that's been its name ever since.

Tiergan also once found himself being followed around by a tiny coblyn larva trying to eat little crumbs of ore. When he finally noticed it was weakening and all but starving to death, he gave it a big old chunk of ore to eat and it now trails after him on every single mining expedition he goes on. He also just calls the coblyn "it" "Coblyn" and will probably keep doing that until someone names it for him.

Val still has a pet cactuar that Verad gave to him. He's sad that it doesn't move.

... That is adorable. :V

Keepers of the Moon apparently have a tradition of using birds of prey during their hunting, and so Masaki is a falconer. I use the bluebird to stand in for a young falcon that's only about a year in age and then I use the owlet as well for his newest addition. They land on his shoulder, whereas birds of prey would land on your gloved hand, but I roll with it anyway. Owls can make very interesting hunting partners in the night but can be limited by the light of day. I also suggest that, at night, the Owl can hear dangerous people or creatures lurking about even better than a Miqo'te can, so Masaki will often be seen with his charges in the field aiding him in many ways. I've been playing this angle since the Beta when I discovered Leih Aliapoh's method, so discovering Falcon's Nest later was really fun for me in character.

My other Keeper character is a reclusive 'beastmaster' from the South Shroud though no such class in game exists. I simply give him many wild animal minions that follow him around because he's helped them in one way or another. His small goobue minion is about to grow up into a goobue mount from the sylphs after tending him for about 2 years. He has a drake mount as well. His chocobo is a stray that he rides without tack because he doesn't believe in it. He also doesn't name his 'pets' which he doesn't see as pets at all. Yet somehow they always get some kind of monicker that's a name-that-isn't if he has to refer to them so that his allies understand what he's talking about. Lately he's stumbled across a lesser panda as well and the contrast between his surly attitude and that thing's precious face is just a great laugh. So stuff like that.

I have other characters who use minions too, but I'm not sure if they're pets or just devices and strange phenomena that accompany them around such as my Scholar's Page 63, magic brooms, and small wind-up toys.

clio has two......though i'm not sure if either would actually be considered pets in the typical sense.

steiner

steiner is a broken mammat she found and upgraded by taking the model vangard toy (don't ask how she got it >.>; ) and giving him a new body. given there was some....clashing with the two technologies; steiner's a overly zealous trigger happy deranged mammet with a god complex. where he's fun to have people interact with; i don't keep him out all the time, socially it's just not a good idea given how he is. so for the most part; he lives in the airship hanger at sable hall. even the meetings can be hit or miss with him as some have found out first hand....thankfully his bullets shoot about as hard as a paintball or bb gun... ;p

habanero

not so much a pet now that he's fully grown but clio's ic carvery drake. after aquiring an egg; she was lucky enough to find a book on the subject of amalj'aa breeding/training tactics regarding their drakes and decided to try for herself vs letting it go back into the wild. the book (named "how to train your battle drake" ) had quite a bit of useful information along with an account of the author's personal attempts in obtaining an egg for themselves.....the book was later found in the desert by a team of scouts in south thanalan; finding the flame seal on it, it was returned to the nearest officer who passed it to the hall proper and ended up in the red wings library. the last few pages were bloodied and scorched as the author had attempted to take an egg from a nest while the mother was thought to be away. >.>;

regardless; the book was helpful and most theories and practices listed proved to have a positive effect on habanero and after recognizing clio as his mother/trainer; habanero's fairly docile and good natured, even to the point he sleeps with the unit's chocobo's in the stables. usually he's fed a mix of dried meats and grilled cactuar (which he fires himself as a personal preference)

usually he stays around the house unless clio goes somewhere and uses him as a ride instead of peppergrass (her chocobo) or on the back of fury with erik. she's found that to keep habanero docile; he needs not only the exercise but also the time spent together when riding to keep their bond.

In my journals (which I haven't updated in a terribly long time) , a curious kitten has been the guest star a few times. When Nathan and Lottie started their music partnership, the little scamp rediscovered both of them. They adopted her and named her Minuet, and she has been their costar at a couple of performances now.

256x383http://40.media.tumblr.com/af6b85b1ee2622f7f7c513759ea238d3/tumblr_ns55mzREYi1tybnywo2_1280.png[/img]

Caelia does, yes. It was agreed upon OOCly that Terris gave it to her (it dropped while we were dungeon diving, and it was passed on to me when he won it because he's a big sweet dweeb don't let him tell you otherwise if you know him). Her name is Kineta. No one else has pets yet beyond Cae.