Hairstyle voting begins!

Arrelaine

I am just kind of glad that the devs even did this , despite people complaining in FF14 forum and in here and tumblr that their works didn't get in. you don't see developers even putting up contest to implement them in the game... So, I'll just say that I'll just thank them for even giving up voted off new hairstyle besides Afro. 

And also, I've seen nasty complaints before and attacking developers and Yoshida about this "unfair" result and all I can say is , this is why we can't have nice things.

I agree. I want them to do this regularly. I think that being positive would be a good encouraging factor to make them do a yearly contest or something. Then there would be many opportunities. Not just for the winner, but also they will get enormous amounts of input as to what hairstyles are desired, and might make them on their own.

Admittedly I'm not hyperinvested, since my character has IC reasons never to change her hairstyle, until perhaps future events.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just kind of glad that the devs even did this , despite people complaining in FF14 forum and in here and tumblr that their works didn't get in. you don't see developers even putting up contest to implement them in the game... So, I'll just say that I'll just thank them for even giving up voted off new hairstyle besides Afro. 

And also, I've seen nasty complaints before and attacking developers and Yoshida about this "unfair" result and all I can say is , this is why we can't have nice things.

I think the reason why people are negative about it is because there is something at stake here. A new hairstyle is something a lot of people want and enjoy so it's easy to get irritated when something is winning that you dislike. I know for me I'm wondering if they are not going to add anymore hairs after these contest entries.

It's just made more frustrating by the lack of balance in hairstyle selection. Some of the hairstyles that are unique to certain races really have no reason to be. (What does a shaved head strike you as being particularly elezen for example? Female elezens are the only females with a shaved head option) Then you have female Au Ra that have only 1 or 2 hair styles without bangs.

I think even if the devs did choose some hairs from tumblr artists or wherever, it would have upsetted the other 90% of people who got rejected since they weren't chosen. It is to be expected. But as Virara said, there is still going to be new contest. As long as people show some sportsmanship, they'll bring it up again probably but even more winners instead of just one.

Agreed with this as well.

Well they are developers, they should be used to taking the complaints to the chin, it's part of the territory that comes with a fanbase.

It's natural for me the consumer to make controversy when something I feel passionate about is ignored or dismissed by the powers that be.

Yup, have to echo the two before me - there's nothing wrong with complaining, and the devs should be able to handle complaints since that's their job.  As long as the complaints are worded politely and without personal attacks, there is nothing wrong with speaking up if you are upset about something.  We are paying customers.

My guess is that they're under a time constraint if it's for 3.1, which is why they made the rules strict in "it has to be this length" and they chose hairstyles fairly easy to implement quickly (braids exist, you have to adapt them, as do ponytails and some of the hairstyles some of them are similar to exist and are easily adaptable.) To me that doesn't mean they won't adapt some of the others; in the contest info they even said "if we see that one is really liked that wasn't a winner, we may implement it in the future" (not a direct quote, but paraphrased) so it's fully possible they'll put something in a future patch as they'll have more time.

All of the nastiness that's going around though makes me upset. There's no need to be that buttblasted over one not making it. I liked some of the ones that were shown on the live letter that didn't make it, but with some of the things going around being said about the finalists is bad. Disappointment is one thing, but belittling someone else because you're disappointed? Whole 'nother story. If they do this again I really do hope they'll allow more than one out of each category to win, and have more than just 25 to choose from, but this may leave a sour taste in the devs mouths. :\

My guess is that they're under a time constraint if it's for 3.1, which is why they made the rules strict in "it has to be this length" and they chose hairstyles fairly easy to implement quickly (braids exist, you have to adapt them, as do ponytails and some of the hairstyles some of them are similar to exist and are easily adaptable.) To me that doesn't mean they won't adapt some of the others; in the contest info they even said "if we see that one is really liked that wasn't a winner, we may implement it in the future" (not a direct quote, but paraphrased) so it's fully possible they'll put something in a future patch as they'll have more time.

All of the nastiness that's going around though makes me upset. There's no need to be that buttblasted over one not making it. I liked some of the ones that were shown on the live letter that didn't make it, but with some of the things going around being said about the finalists is bad. Disappointment is one thing, but belittling someone else because you're disappointed? Whole 'nother story. If they do this again I really do hope they'll allow more than one out of each category to win, and have more than just 25 to choose from, but this may leave a sour taste in the devs mouths. :\

Buttblasted? Lmfao

I'd have to agree with this as well.

I mean people can say all they want "I'm a paying customer!"; but that doesn't mean that it's cool to act like an arse about it. Not saying anyone specific in this thread; but rather I have seen the vitriol in general over this whole thing. There's a way to give feedback and inform people are displeased without making excuses to treat other people like crap because they're the artist of the hairstyle, saying they didn't deserve it- etc.

I'm in love with female style 23! :love:

It also looks like female 16 has overtaken 21 right now, too. I'd much prefer to see 16 over 21 in-game (even though I doubt I would use either) so I hope it stays that way!

I will mourn for you until the end of days female 23. :cry:

(Also I too would like a few more short & simple cuts for the males!)

16 had my vote since I want longer styles (which I know are hard to implement because of clipping issues and other programming stuff) so it looks like it could be long hair tied up to look short which is fine by me.

There's a way to give feedback and inform people are displeased without making excuses to treat other people like crap because they're the artist of the hairstyle, saying they didn't deserve it- etc.

This. You can say "hey Yoshi-P, next time can we choose from more than just one? There were so many good ones I would love to see and this didn't feel like a good representation of them!" instead of "omg Yoshi-P and his team are idiots and don't know what good hairstyles are why would they do this" and much worse as I've seen. I hope they do see which hairstyles that have been posted in the "we didn't make it but lets show them off!" thread and try to implement some of them. Some are super cute.

I'd have to agree with this as well.

I mean people can say all they want "I'm a paying customer!"; but that doesn't mean that it's cool to act like an arse about it. Not saying anyone specific in this thread; but rather I have seen the vitriol in general over this whole thing. There's a way to give feedback and inform people are displeased without making excuses to treat other people like crap because they're the artist of the hairstyle, saying they didn't deserve it- etc.

No one here said it was cool to "act like an arse" about it. I know you said you're not referring to anyone "specific," but if that's the case, why on earth did you quote what I said? Especially since no one even said it was ok to act like an ass. No one said that. Seriously.

Apologiesfor the huge quote. Android won't let me delete.

No one here said it was cool to "act like an arse" about it. I know you said you're not referring to anyone "specific," but if that's the case, why on earth did you quote what I said? Especially since no one even said it was ok to act like an ass. No one said that. Seriously.

Because you aren't the only one who has said this. It's not about you. It wasn't about you and it wasn't quoted from you. Because as Rainichan and several others have said; we have seen this as a general behavior on the SE forums and on tumblr and other locations. And never once did I say that people are saying that in fact as I said; I even said I was not referring to specific people in this thread nor was Raini- it was a general comment on the behavior surrounding the contest. I would appreciate it if you did not twist my words or made out that I was lying; that's seriously not cool.

Edit: This being said, I've nothing more to say on this topic because I frankly don't want to argue on forums. I find it to be unproductive. So, have a good day.

Rainichan; I agree with your points and tip my hat to you.

16 had my vote since I want longer styles (which I know are hard to implement because of clipping issues and other programming stuff) so it looks like it could be long hair tied up to look short which is fine by me.

There's a way to give feedback and inform people are displeased without making excuses to treat other people like crap because they're the artist of the hairstyle, saying they didn't deserve it- etc.

This. You can say "hey Yoshi-P, next time can we choose from more than just one? There were so many good ones I would love to see and this didn't feel like a good representation of them!" instead of "omg Yoshi-P and his team are idiots and don't know what good hairstyles are why would they do this" and much worse as I've seen.

Can you link to the worst you've seen yet?

Because So far I'm not really clear on where the line on criticism is and I almost feel like we all are saying the same thing.

Because while this...

omg Yoshi-P and his team are idiots

may not be exactly the most formulated of responses

This....

Don't know what good hairstyles are.

I don't take issue with,

We're probably not going to get to vote on anything player submitted again after this.

We probably will.

People can scream about it all they want, but if the developers don't hear the noise, it's like no screaming happened.

If their windows are soundproof, then chances are the impact that complaining has on anything will be minimal.

I also have yet to see a player-poll for a video-game go well, and I'm sure the developers have yet to see such either, so I have faith that they knew full well what they were doing when they decided on this.

My guess is that they're under a time constraint if it's for 3.1, which is why they made the rules strict in "it has to be this length" and they chose hairstyles fairly easy to implement quickly (braids exist, you have to adapt them, as do ponytails and some of the hairstyles some of them are similar to exist and are easily adaptable.)

If I had to guess, it's probably less of a time constraint issue and more of a "do we want to pick a fight with our game engine in order to make longer hairstyles possible" issue, because as it stands currently I don't think that they have a way to do that that would work very well. Iceheart's hair looks about as elegant as a stiff surfboard swaying in the breeze, and we all know that that would clip to high hell with certain bits of armor.

It's probably less of a time thing and more of an engine constraint / PEE ES TREE LIMITATION.

Of course, time factors into this as well, though there's also a solid chance that the amount of time spent grinding teeth over it wouldn't be worth the reward, even if there was infinite time available to do so.

Because So far I'm not really clear on where the line on criticism is and I almost feel like we all are saying the same thing.

Because while this...

omg Yoshi-P and his team are idiots

may not be exactly the most formulated of responses

This....

Don't know what good hairstyles are.

I don't take issue with,

I cannot; it is against the RPC to name/link.

I don't have a problem with people constructively criticizing. What I have a problem with; is the first example- not so much the second. And yes, everyone here is in agreement. I was just discussing the matter with Raini as she's seen the toxic, rude-ass remarks elsewhere (thankfully everyone on the RPC has been understanding and not a jackarse).

I'm hoping that when they ditch support for the PS3 - something that will hopefully happen sooner rather than later - then we'll get a lot more options in regards to character customisation. Not just more hairstyles, but things like more in-depth tattoos, scars, new facial features and so on.

The thing is, for that to happen we need both the PS3 to be left behind and for FFXIV's community to unite and push for it in a constructive and civil manner. The frustration is understandable - but if people just rant/vent on the official site then not much is going to be accomplished.

If, however, they ensure that their posts are accompanied by ideas for potential solutions/compromises then there's a greater chance that something positive will come out of these slip ups.

FFXIV's developers have proven time and time again that they're humble enough to admit mistakes and listen to constructive feedback. I strongly believe that they've handled the contest rather poorly - but if we make that clear in a constructive manner then it's likely that in the future they'll offer more meaningful choices/add more varied hairstyles to the game.

I can't link or name, but I can say when I see people calling the entries "garbage" and "crap" and people going "dafuq are with the horrible selfies?!" or "they didn't work as hard as the people who made stuff that didn't make it in!" -- that is not okay. Not on ANY level. When things like "some of those entries were utter bullshit and I don’t understand how they were chosen over some of the gorgeous, high-quality, multiple-angle entries I’ve seen that didn’t make the cut" are said? That is still NOT OKAY.

Disagreeing that you don't like the entries because they don't appeal to you is fine. I don't care much for the sidetails, so I didn't vote for them. Little too cutesy for my tastes, but it appeals to other people. I like some of the other styles that didn't make it, and I wish I could vote on them. But I'm not going to belittle the people who DID by calling their pictures of their hairstyles, whether they were pictures of themselves (which was in the rules as acceptable to do if you didn't have pencil/paper or a digital drawing coordination to create a 2D entry) or wigs by saying they didn't work as hard as people who drew their entries? To say the devs are "wasting a contest on this crap"? How is that in the least all right to say? I might not like some of the styles, but I'm not going to say they didn't try as hard as the people who didn't make it in.

There's a polite way to say "I don't like this" and a rude way of saying "I don't like this" and while I see a mixed bag of polite/rude, more people agree with the rude from what I've seen. It could be different for others and what they see and that's fine too! I just... insulting comments aren't the way to go.