Hairstyle voting begins!

Arrelaine

So sad to see some of the finalists compared to the ones that didn't make it popping up on tumblr ;-;

I thought people were exaggerating/being bitter...but your statement rings true. A lot of the entries uploaded to Tumblr are so much better. :(

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad to see some of the finalists compared to the ones that didn't make it popping up on tumblr ;-;

I thought people were exaggerating/being bitter...but your statement rings true. A lot of the entries uploaded to Tumblr are so much better. :(

Yeah.  I'm actually pretty pissed.  There are several hairstyles I like much better that apparently didn't make the cut.

Yeah.  I'm actually pretty pissed.  There are several hairstyles I like much better that apparently didn't make the cut.

Looking through the tumblr tags of all the rejected entries -HURTS-, especially because several of them are actually fairly unique to what we have on offering.

I didn't apply to the contest and I do rather like a good majority of the design ideas; but some of them are either almost identical to one another or look like something someone put together in ten minutes. I just wish they had been clearer about their criteria is all. I can understand that many of the potential designs people were making would be too hard to render for whatever reason. But if that's the case be upfront with it. And a little voting variety wouldn't hurt, even though I know that the cuter hairstyles will prevail.

With that said however, no matter how salty I am I do want to congratulate the people who were picked all the same.

Not only am I disappointed in what was picked for finalists, but I'm disappointed in what's currently winning.

The last I checked, 21 for females was winning? That hairstyle is pretty redundant, imo. It's just a girlier Golden Saucer ponytail that's pulled to the side and over the shoulder.

And then for males, a ~pretty boy~ over-the-eye style is winning. Very close in 2nd place is a frankly tacky, ratty-looking Asian-esque ponytail.

Never thought I could be so let down by both the devs AND the community in one fell swoop...

The more I see of who didn't make it in, the more confused I am about the contest rules, and what they actually graded the entries on.

Here's a link to where people are posting their rejected entries:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/259799-For-all-who-didnt-make-it-in-the-hairstyle-contest-lets-post-ours%21

The more I see of who didn't make it in, the more confused I am about the contest rules, and what they actually graded the entries on.

Here's a link to where people are posting their rejected entries:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/259799-For-all-who-didnt-make-it-in-the-hairstyle-contest-lets-post-ours%21

/flips table.

I'm done with this contest. Goddamn it.

I've actually gotta agree with Aaron on this one. All the cool styles I would have wanted for my characters are there.

Must really be a cultural preference thing, explaining why the winning ones are what they are.

Considering the reactions, I think the best option (if lengthy) would be to have had multiple rounds of voting. First having almost all the hair styles save for duplicates and unfeasible/rule-breaker types and the like, group them by generalized styles... and then vote for a favorite of those. Then have a second vote with all the winners to decide on the actual winning hairstyle.

Would've been a lot of hair to go through and a lot more time spent, though.

Hopefully I'll avoid causing too much controversy with this post but after much thought...I really wish they'd split the entries into three categories: male, female and androgynous. I know it'd risk stirring up a gender discussion but I feel like it'd be the best compromise. Chances are male characters are going to be stuck with yet another androgynous option for hair whilst females stand to get another feminine option. At least if the voting trend continues along the same track it's currently riding on.

Failing that it might have been better to have two categories for each gender so that they'd both walk away with a new short hair and long hair option. I suppose we'll just have to hope that we end up with some more 'conventional' looking hairstyles for both genders in future patches.

Hopefully I'll avoid causing too much controversy with this post but after much thought...I really wish they'd split the entries into three categories: male, female and androgynous. I know it'd risk stirring up a gender discussion but I feel like it'd be the best compromise. Chances are male characters are going to be stuck with yet another androgynous option for hair whilst females stand to get another feminine option. At least if the voting trend continues along the same track it's currently riding on.

Failing that it might have been better to have two categories for each gender so that they'd both walk away with a new short hair and long hair option. I suppose we'll just have to hope that we end up with some more 'conventional' looking hairstyles for both genders in future patches.

I can understand where you're coming from because at times it's all about aesthetic! 

I'd like Berrod, my manlyman GRR SWEAT AND MUSCLES ROAR character to have access to hairstyles that have been tailored toward that aesthetic.

I'd like Maurice, my girlyboy glitterbomb dazzling prince EEEEE~ to have swoopy androgynous girly hair.

I'd like to give my -WHATEVER- Catboy any kind of neutral thing that I can pick out!

In the end, I'd like to have options for all of these styles available and produced going forward, and not to see them just leaning toward one end of that triangle.

Is is just me, or are people just voting for the entries that have the best artists behind them, rather than actually caring about the hairstyle itself? Maybe it's just me.

I'm not overly fond of any of the female hairs, mostly because Manari wouldn't change her hair to any of them. I don't really want anymore short haircuts though, we have enough already.

For the males... yikes. I'll just keep my negative opinions to myself, and simply say I'm glad the majority of people agree with me and didn't vote for a few of the really bad looking ones. Orion is a manly man's man. He won't be using any of the longer pretty looking hairs that are winning. Although... I do LOVE that Fighter from FFI haircut. That one looks really awesome.

I feel that's likely. I actually don't mind the hairstyles that won. The ones that did not are pretty but I fear they likely lost due to technical limitations and clipping problems, though I am confident the winning female style is no exception to that problem. Others that lost were well drawn, but not that great design wise, IMO. I feel like style 1 would be more popular if it wasn't on line paper, myself.

No I agree with you. As a woman who wants very badly to play 'non-traditionally feminine' characters, I am pretty frustrated with the hairstyles. They are too elaborate and fancy. There just isn't any diversity and it feels like we'll be getting more of the same: lots and lots and lots of braids.

I would pay SE money if they would stop restricting haircuts based on gender and rac. There are some haircuts I would love to have on Vi, but they are only there for x race. Sadly enough for a pretty Wildwood elezen, we got surpsingly a lot of savage options. Why do elezen female have a bald head option again? It would fit so much better on highlanders for one.

I know they can do it. In Ishgard you see tons of elezen with hairstyles of the other races :(

Is is just me, or are people just voting for the entries that have the best artists behind them, rather than actually caring about the hairstyle itself? Maybe it's just me.

Nope, not just you. I was thinking that last night.

Ya, some of the male styles arn't for me. I even voted for a few that were low but liked and sadly will not see. Though I don't mind the longer hair for males, as my char normally wears it long anyway (minus the 3 month long bald look for the events of 2.55) so the ones with higher votes will probably be worn by my char.

Have been debaiting about voting on female styles since I really don't play female chars.

I am just kind of glad that the devs even did this , despite people complaining in FF14 forum and in here and tumblr that their works didn't get in. you don't see developers even putting up contest to implement them in the game... So, I'll just say that I'll just thank them for even giving up voted off new hairstyle besides Afro. 

And also, I've seen nasty complaints before and attacking developers and Yoshida about this "unfair" result and all I can say is , this is why we can't have nice things.