Healing

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want your thoughts on it. How do you react to being healed by others in RP? Instant recovery? Expedited processes? Do you instantly pop back up, ready to go? What about scars: Do you keep them?

Tell me your opinions on being healed in-character.

Depends on the Event, if personal RP a bit slower, at crowded events like Grindstone where everyone's time is precious, I'm zip bam boom healed. Next opponent (Or well what do I do now I lost.)

It depends. I like to judge on severity of the scene.

If we're talking about Grindstone healing, as an example, people need their heals super-fast and super-effective. Especially if they're the winner of their round and need to advance. It becomes a -big deal- when someone RPs being injured and then immediately goes "oh, but don't heal me."

If this is a one-shot RP scene, that I'll probably keep the injury for the duration of the scene. Like a bad headache.

If the injury is due to an ongoing plot/arc, I tend to draw it out more. Let it actually do its job of limiting my RP options. Affect my IC choices.

And if the injury is part of a plot, but not the main focus, then I just sorta adjust as needed. Franz is a big boy. He can take care of himself when needed. (usually)

I feel that healing can't be the end-all-be-all, otherwise you'd never have things killing people outside freak accidents. I don't think it just instantly restores your stamina either. We have plenty of NPCs that are ill, are 'healed' but still need rest, etc. For the purposes of the game, sure, it can do anything... but like many things that's for game play not lore or realism.

I tend to RP that healing magic will stimulate growth, like a super Neosporin. It can accelerate the natural healing process, thus healing cuts faster or potentially preventing a fatal wound or disease; but you're still going to be left weak and needing rest.

I'm more prone to enjoy the slow healing process. 

I find it pretty boring to be BAM insta-cured. Healing magic might be okay to, say, mend a cut or a broken bone, or maybe act as a sedative or pain blocking mechanism, but not to just instantly make someone right as rain.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me. I prefer to take the long road to recovery approach. :)

I believe it really depends on people and the situation. I really really understand people playing healer's frustration on that side. In Ilwe's case, he's not really sensitive to aether but as I would think as being extremely unfair for the healers to waste their time on him if they insist to heal him, it would help him to recover faster or to stop something pretty bad going on needing some urgent care. Aside that traditional care is what works the best on him, so healing takes weeks.

About scars, I keep most of them and had a few commissions picturing them. The major part of his scars are covered by his clothes, a big part of them are related to his ventures when he was younger, the most recent being the big one on his leg and tail (the latter being the only one noticeable when he doesn't undress). To me scars are really interesting for the story behind them :) .

[align=center]

S4pNCXF.png[/align]

I'm of the school of thought that healing takes care of immediate damage, but you still need time to heal. Your body has to adjust, and your scars and bruises need to heal.

I don't care for instant "everything's all better" healing. I was recently called out by a character who healed me, because afterwards I RP'ed hesitation to stand on my leg that was just stabbed with a sword, and that I limped to go sit somewhere else.

As a healer, I like the same approach, and would encourage others to take it easy and fully recover, and avoid being rough on their injuries.

I've been rping for probably, far too long- text based, forums, whatever have you.

And something that has always been a constant thing that has been a pet peeve of mine is the whole 'instaheal suddenly I'm better' situation. I'm not so much meaning minor things, but I'm talking about suddenly healed from a state where you should have received some sort of backlash. I found this to be pretty common in MMOs.

From the Healer's pov:

While I understand people want to rp their characters, it all comes down to personal responsibility of a character and player responsibility; and understanding consequences. It's so often very easy to godmod something, I don't really tolerate it.

When Sien heals, she often opts for more traditional healing before she will use aetheric abilities unless it's of serious need. Partially this is because of my dislike for insta-healing. I don't mind expediting the healing process.

Though at the same time I think that a healer shouldn't get over zealous and tell someone what to do. There's also a 'this takes too long and I'm taking advantage of my booboo'- but to be honest I've seen very little of that in this game or others.

From the person being healed side:

I expedite the process usually, I communicate with my healer. And I honestly take my lumps. I accept responsibility, if my character gets into a position where they've gotten themselves into something that will get them harmed; I accept it. Should they take damage, the character will deal with whatever injuries that come from it. I don't insta-heal, and I don't 'pop back up'.

Now what I -may- do is take a small hiatus from my character and play a different one for a while. I did that with Dusk and took the time to explore a character I didn't get to play often and I found I enjoyed it quite a bit.

With that said; it takes a balance and communication with your fellows.

As for scars, it depends on the individual and the character, as well as the severity. Usually I keep scars.

So, as a Paramedic IRL, I naturally tend to lean towards realistic injury and disease patterns. That's just something I feel strongly for in my own RP. But in the medical world, we tend to group the causation of emergencies into one of two categories: Medical and Trauma. (That's not to say that a Medical can't lead to a Trauma or a Trauma can't lead to Medical.)

My Healing Headcanon is that healing magicks like cure, physick, etc treat traumatic injuries. Physical hurts like open wounds, broken bones, a sword to the gut, etc. While spells such as Esuna/Leeches treat Medical disease process, like flu, pox, crotchrot, etc. Which seems to be backed up by the SCH quest after you get Leeches:

I am told you possess magicks which can cleanse the body of toxins' date=' impurities, and maladies.[/quote']

But cure and esuna can't be the end-all-be-all remedy to everything in Eorzea, otherwise there wouldn't be a hospital in Ul'dah, or the Warmwine Sanatorium that treats wounded veterans, or there wouldn't be people in Ishgard and Revenant's Toll dying of pox constantly.

So I like to play healing magic as emergency treatment that stabilizes the patient and prevents death. So if someone takes a sword to the gut in the Grindstone, healing magic seals the wound and stops the bleeding. Perhaps the wound can still get infected, it's likely still sore, and not fully healed in the least. But the immediate danger to life has been taken care of. Continued exertion might reopen that wound later or it may get infected. It's like "First-line" treatment. Obviously it has to be followed up with something. More magical healing or traditional medicines (of which there's lots of info about in BTN's item descriptions).

As far as scarring goes, I tend to base that upon the severity of the injury. Sounsyy took a spear through her shoulder in an early Grindstone. It didn't come out smoothly and healing magicks were attempted before its proper removal. I decided that this would leave a scar.

So, as a Paramedic IRL, I naturally tend to lean towards realistic injury and disease patterns. That's just something I feel strongly for in my own RP. But in the medical world, we tend to group the causation of emergencies into one of two categories: Medical and Trauma. (That's not to say that a Medical can't lead to a Trauma or a Trauma can't lead to Medical.)

My Healing Headcanon is that healing magicks like cure, physick, etc treat traumatic injuries. Physical hurts like open wounds, broken bones, a sword to the gut, etc. While spells such as Esuna/Leeches treat Medical disease process, like flu, pox, crotchrot, etc. Which seems to be backed up by the SCH quest after you get Leeches:

I am told you possess magicks which can cleanse the body of toxins, impurities, and maladies.

But cure and esuna can't be the end-all-be-all remedy to everything in Eorzea, otherwise there wouldn't be a hospital in Ul'dah, or the Warmwine Sanatorium that treats wounded veterans, or there wouldn't be people in Ishgard and Revenant's Toll dying of pox constantly.

So I like to play healing magic as emergency treatment that stabilizes the patient and prevents death. So if someone takes a sword to the gut in the Grindstone, healing magic seals the wound and stops the bleeding. Perhaps the wound can still get infected, it's likely still sore, and not fully healed in the least. But the immediate danger to life has been taken care of. Continued exertion might reopen that wound later or it may get infected. It's like "First-line" treatment. Obviously it has to be followed up with something. More magical healing or traditional medicines (of which there's lots of info about in BTN's item descriptions).

As far as scarring goes, I tend to base that upon the severity of the injury. Sounsyy took a spear through her shoulder in an early Grindstone. It didn't come out smoothly and healing magicks were attempted before its proper removal. I decided that this would leave a scar.

Quoting Sounsy as this is pretty much spot-on with how I roleplay my own receiving and recovery from wounds, and how--as an IC healer--I explain the effects of my magics, herbs, etc.

When Reima uses "Cure" in a pinch, I will emote or send a Tell to the patient describing the way the spell itself feels as it takes, that bleeding is slowing, the pain is a bit numbed, and that the body's natural mending process is accelerated, but that they will need further treatment and to refrain from aggravating the injury.  Grindstone competitors and the like are free to do with that as they will, of course, since there is a huge event trying to proceed.  As it was said above, if healing magic (or any other healing method) was the lickety-split end-all-be-all, then life in Eorzea would be a lot different.

I don't need to worry about this so much because my character recovers and responds to healing magic in positive and negative ways most don't. With healing magic i like to play it as only a temporary fix in cases of mortal wounds. I like to think of hp as an abstraction of health, stamina and will to fight, so my theory is that healing mostly just soothes you and helps mitigate injury that could be mortal or crippling, in the short term, and then extended or conventional healing later and plenty of rest can eventually allow a full recovery if the patient is taken care of properly. Things like instantly and lastingly healing an otherwise fatal wound is something only an incredibly talented or skilled veteran healer can accomplish with any semblance of ease. Also healing a lot can be taxing on both patient and medic.

Generally, I go with what the patient's player wants. After all, it's their character and their story. 

That said, as magical and wonderful healing is, there is a cost.  Perhaps the reason for the sanatorium and people dying if pox has to do more with the land being unable to give more, rather than inability on the part of the magic itself to heal.

I see healing as a means of repairing, perhaps increasing the rate of regeneration, but not creating tissue . So if someone broke a bone, then it would piece itself together. Though if something is missing, then there would be problems. 

Generally, when my char comes back from something like blood loss, that blood stays gone, and she's gonna be healing like death warmed over until her body catches up. If she's had some of her muscle tissue regenerated, she's gonna be sore, and very reluctant to move around. Healing in the game is miraculous, but coming back from a situation that should by all means leave someone in bed or a coffin should still linger around for a while longer.

I would treat most healing as a increasing the rate of regeneration, with an extra effect to dull the pain one may be feeling. For event like the Grindstone, throw in some extra bandages to help prevent more damage and your good to go for the most part. Still some pain and slower due to blood loss or damage due to muscles slowing you down.

For myself, any damage from one event will carry over a bit IC due to magic not being effective for healing Asmo, leading to potions, thread and bandages being my go to to deal with pain and wounds. I keep a notepad with the different type of damage done to my character with a list of dates, area of damage and the extent of damage so if every brought of his armor, I know I should describe how any scars aside from the major one he has might look. Like do they seem old or fresh, deep or a light graze. But after all this is just what I do, I doubt many would go as far as I would.

The way I see it is magical healing has two separate categories.  While in combat, it makes no sense you can wave your hand and poof, all the wounds flitter away. 

For me, healing in combat is more like a magical plug.  You use magic to stop the bleeding your ally has taken, and the magic also removes any and all pain as long as the healer has the means to sustain the magicks in place.  Basically, a man with a broken arm won't be able to lift an axe, not because his arm is broken, but because the pain is too great.  A healer can remove that stimulation of pain and the warrior can continue on as if nothing has happened.  Preventing pain, stopping bleeding and bringing a restoration to their morale is what a cleric brings in battle.

Outside battle, magical healing is more of a quick acceleration of repairing the body's natural healing process.  It takes both energy from the caster and the recipient, as it's his/her body that is the one healing.  A healer must balance his ability to mend the body's regeneration process, stop gap any bleeding, and the over all pain management of his patient.  All of this taxes the healer's magic, while the patient must use vast energies to quickly recover his body.  Depending on the level of the wound, healing can take as little as a few minutes to days or weeks of recovery.  Also, the healer must take note not to overdraw the patients ability to supply their own reserves of energy.

The way I see it is magical healing has two separate categories.  While in combat, it makes no sense you can wave your hand and poof, all the wounds flitter away. 

For me, healing in combat is more like a magical plug.  You use magic to stop the bleeding your ally has taken, and the magic also removes any and all pain as long as the healer has the means to sustain the magicks in place.  Basically, a man with a broken arm won't be able to lift an axe, not because his arm is broken, but because the pain is too great.  A healer can remove that stimulation of pain and the warrior can continue on as if nothing has happened.  Preventing pain, stopping bleeding and bringing a restoration to their morale is what a cleric brings in battle.

Outside battle, magical healing is more of a quick acceleration of repairing the body's natural healing process.  It takes both energy from the caster and the recipient, as it's his/her body that is the one healing.  A healer must balance his ability to mend the body's regeneration process, stop gap any bleeding, and the over all pain management of his patient.  All of this taxes the healer's magic, while the patient must use vast energies to quickly recover his body.  Depending on the level of the wound, healing can take as little as a few minutes to days or weeks of recovery.  Also, the healer must take note not to overdraw the patients ability to supply their own reserves of energy.

I would probably expand on the combat part in saying that adrenaline would play a large part as a compensator for exhaustion once the pain has gone.

While I havn't encountered the situation too much in my short Rp career, I tend to agree with what most have posted and from what I've seen of my rp group, who tend to treat injuries and such with a longer lasting effect. We've had people bedridden for days because of an events result, even have someone missing a hand now.

Even my char has a scar from a rather close knife stab. At the time he couldn't heal it himself but even with the Hotsprings nearby it left a scar that gives him a good reminder everyday, and even after two years is still a bit sore to the touch.

I want your thoughts on it. How do you react to being healed by others in RP? Instant recovery? Expedited processes? Do you instantly pop back up, ready to go? What about scars: Do you keep them?

Tell me your opinions on being healed in-character.

If the healer's post is a little unclear on exactly how it works, I poke the player via whispers to ask exactly how the healing affects the injury. Once I find that out, I play it off according to what they say -- whether it be slow knitting, or a boost of regeneration of WHITE FLASH MAGIC INJURY GONE! I just enjoy giving the healer the opportunity to do their thing.

For Berrod's self-healing bit, I've employed a bit of the wolverine effect; very rapid regeneration -- except that it can't heal bone or grow limbs (or eyes) back.

For me, it depends on the severity of the injury, the person doing the healing (are they a conjurer, scholar, or astro), their skill and experience, the spell used, etc. Its all very complicated though Cecilia often doesn't need to be healed as she largely avoids conflict. Besides, she can heal herself.

I'm not sure why Grindstone insists on healing, personally. If someone wants to trudge through the event bruised and bloodied, what difference does it make?

In general, instantaneous healing pretty much removes any real danger from most situations, and that's a bit inconsistent with how the setting is presented, where NPCs do indeed fear for their safety. So magic "poof, you're all better!" healing is probably very rare. In the Conjurer questlines, healing comes up many times, but it's never as simple as wiggling your fingers and suddenly someone's okay. It's usually trying, risky, and not always guaranteed to succeed.