Origins Census Followup

What is your primary character's point of origin?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your primary character's point of origin?

• Ala Mhigo/Gyr Abania
    • Doma/Othard
    • Mor Dhona
    • Dravania
    • Other (please reply)

The RPC Census results will be up within the hour hopefully. As mentioned in the original thread, the "other" category in the Census for character origins was meant to be divided a bit more than it ended up. So those who hail from somewhere not listed in the original question, now is your time to sound off!

Note: This question is aimed strictly at those who answered "other" in the census question "Where is your primary character's point of origin? (where were they born?)" If you answered Ul'dah/Thanalan, Limsa/La Noscea, Gridania/Shroud, Ishgard/Coerthas, or Garlean Empire, you needn't participate since your data has already been collected.

Edit: Poll is closed. Unfortunately, the data isn't nearly as accurate as I'd like since a large number of individuals voted again even though they had already voted in the census poll on non-other categories :/

An island I made up, with a town I made up, with a whole different aspect to lore etc. I made up, that is no longer a thing because it essentially got accidentally made to commit suicide by Garlemald.

And if you think it's the most contrived plot you've ever heard, you never read my character background.

Lore confusion! *sends up flare*

Isn't Idyllshire (Dravania) a Sharlayan city (well, was)? I remember Alphinaud talking about how he was born there but didn't stay long since everyone (minus Matoya ofc) fled. So if you're Sharlayan, you would pick Dravania? Or no?

Lore confusion! *sends up flare*

Isn't Idyllshire (Dravania) a Sharlayan city (well, was)? I remember Alphinaud talking about how he was born there but didn't stay long since everyone (minus Matoya ofc) fled. So if you're Sharlayan, you would pick Dravania? Or no?

The abandoned city the goblins took over and renamed Idyllshire was formerly the Eorzean city-state of Sharlayan. But there are two Sharlayans. The Eorzean Sharlayan in Dravania and the original Sharlayan, which is on an archipelago called the Old World, in the Bloodbrine Sea far northeast of Dravania. The Eorzean Sharlayan was founded by the Sharlayans of the Old World at the beginning of the 13th century, roughly 275 years ago and was abandoned 15 years ago after peace negotiations with the Garlean Empire failed. Within a matter of days, the Sharlayans placed wards around their city and then returned to the Old World with as much of their knowledge as they could carry. Alphinaud was born in the Eorzean Sharlayan, but left with the exodus when he was just a baby. Y'shtola and her sister Y'mhitra were raised in the Eorzean Sharlayan by Matoya.

So, to get back to the question... If you are from the Eorzean Sharlayan outpost, you'd select Dravania. But if you're from the actual Sharlayan in the Old World, you'd mark other and clarify Sharlayan.

Hope that helps! ^^

Sidenote: There's 11 people who marked other but only 8 responses in this thread at the time of posting this. And not all of the responses have been about clarifying the Other category. If you marked Other, help Kylin out and post to the thread, so he can better use the data.

Looks like I'm still in the 'other' category. Klyn was born on a remote fishing island to the north of Dravania. The Sea Wolf creation screen mentions the race originating from similar islands scattered through the north sea.

I picked Doman however because my Doman alt sees a fair bit of RP too.

Goodness, I didn't see this! Iffin it's not too late, my "other" is outside what was the Dravanian Hinterlands Sharlayan, out in the Orn Wilds. Not sure if that completely counts as Dravania, but if it does, there you go. I have it as "other" here too, but yes.

A'rklonn was born in Coerthas, brought back to  Ishgard proper, lost his family at a year old because reasons, then snuck off to Doma/Othard when he was a slightly older brat by stowing away on a ship. So it's..complicated. But Coerthas is technically his point of origin so I guess that counts as 'other'.

I'm still a little hazy on who I think of as my main, but Iris Blanchimont was born in Thavnair, despite the fact that she doesn't know it. I've had a strange love of Radz-at-Han since 1.0.