General Lore Questions

Goodfellow

I'm 99% positive this has been addressed elsewhere but afaik Sharlayan Astrology is Sharlayan Astrology. There is no other (official) version of it at this time.

Ishgardian Astrology is starcharts and tracking their movements, mostly to predict movements of the Dravanian Horde. It did not involve aether or starglobes.

You can learn it by being taught by someone from Sharlayan, being Sharlayan, or by attending the Athenaeum Astrologicum in Ishgard

The 60-70 AST quests touch on Geomancy a bit which is equated to be somewhat of a spiritual cousin to Astrology but did not employ the use of starglobes/cards/gates. The npc in the quests uses a branch wand.

That last one is restricted to an extent isn't it? I was going by http://kilieit.tumblr.com/post/159315531877/just-how-obscure-is-that-job-crystal-in-lore for the time and it makes it sound pretty restricting.If you attend, I imagine they're going to expect you to be Sharlayan or have something in common with them without any actual intent to use the method for inflicting harm and etc? I'm mostly trying to broaden that range but if there's no loops around it :S idk. Trying to avoid the sharlayan concept all around.

RE: bolded text, no. That was the whole point of the 3.0 quests.

That tumblr post was also written before Stormblood and the lore within. While it holds true for many of the jobs, things can and occasionally change per expansion/patch. Focusing on Astrologian in particular, the Heavensward AST quests were all about how Sharalayan wanted to restrict Astromancy and Leveva's struggles to get Ishgard to allow her to teach it. In 4.0, she has students aside from Jannequinard and the player character, and they delve into the story of one such student and his reasons for wanting to learn the Sharlayan style of astromancy.

With most jobs, except a few like machinist/DRK/Samurai, and even then... they are often restricted to one single teacher and/or a very recent opening (like AST). Else, you just have to go the hard way and learn it yourself through arduous studies looking for often forbidden texts and books in libraries and whatnot.

It's not that some jobs are impossible to roleplay, it's mostly their various degrees of uniqueness.

I'm 99% positive this has been addressed elsewhere but afaik Sharlayan Astrology is Sharlayan Astrology. There is no other (official) version of it at this time.

Ishgardian Astrology is starcharts and tracking their movements, mostly to predict movements of the Dravanian Horde. It did not involve aether or starglobes.

You can learn it by being taught by someone from Sharlayan, being Sharlayan, or by attending the Athenaeum Astrologicum in Ishgard

The 60-70 AST quests touch on Geomancy a bit which is equated to be somewhat of a spiritual cousin to Astrology but did not employ the use of starglobes/cards/gates. The npc in the quests uses a branch wand.

That last one is restricted to an extent isn't it? I was going by http://kilieit.tumblr.com/post/159315531877/just-how-obscure-is-that-job-crystal-in-lore for the time and it makes it sound pretty restricting.If you attend, I imagine they're going to expect you to be Sharlayan or have something in common with them without any actual intent to use the method for inflicting harm and etc? I'm mostly trying to broaden that range but if there's no loops around it :S idk. Trying to avoid the sharlayan concept all around.

That tumblr post was also written before Stormblood and the lore within. While it holds true for many of the jobs, things can and occasionally change per expansion/patch. Focusing on Astrologian in particular, the Heavensward AST quests were all about how Sharalayan wanted to restrict Astromancy and Leveva's struggles to get Ishgard to allow her  to teach it. In 4.0, she has students aside from Jannequinard and the player character, and they delve into the story of one such student and his reasons for wanting to learn the Sharlayan style of astromancy.

This touches on something a bit shaky that doesn't really get addressed in any quest. I don't think Leveva is at the Athenaeum Astrologicum handing out soul crystals. I'm pretty sure this is what he's getting at but apologies if I'm misreading.

That leaves the questions of "What is the soul crystal for? What does it do? Does it gate spells like BLM/WHM etc."  Red Mage kinda falls into this category right now as well where it appears you can pick up fundamentals and begin learning the discipline without possessing a soul crystal.

So is it possible that people go from the Athenaeum Astrologicum and spread what they have been taught? Absolutely. Would the Old World be pleased about this? Absolutely not considering the leading factions in place believe the majority of the rest of the world to be made up of 'barbarians' who do nothing but war with each other. The rest is pretty much gray area.

My headcanon (Read: My opinion) with these types of disciplines is that more advanced/destructive spells get gated. So this would be where your Verholy/Flare would hang out along with spells like Astral Statis etc. Otherwise the soul crystal's only purpose is fast forwarding learning the art which makes them convenient but ultimately pointless except in cases like BLM.

I know I need to update that tumblr post (or, more accurately, come out with a new edition of it) but I haven't looked into the 60-70 quests for everything enough yet... and I don't want to make an authoritative post where I'm talking out of my ass, lol.

With regards to soul crystal purposes, I remember a while ago having a conversation about it and we came out with three rough categories of soul crystal as per the quests:

Catalytic: allows the person to do something usually out of their abilities (EG: DRK crystal enabling the manifestation of a Darkside)

Inhibitive: allows the person to use magic that would usually be too powerful for them to wield safely (EG: BLM crystal enabling the person to wield Fire+ without combusting)

Tutoring: solely speeds the acquisition of knowledge for an appropriately attuned soul (EG: PLD soul crystal being given to prospective trainees to speed their learning)

What I didn't ever do was definitively go through the whole list of soul crystals and figure out what category they all fall into...

What I didn't ever do was definitively go through the whole list of soul crystals and figure out what category they all fall into...

I don't think anyone comprehensively can with any authority without using conjecture. We just don't have that information. Hence why I labeled what I did under "My Dumb Opinion."

To me, if any Joe Schmo could learn time magic with no limitations Eorzea would have exploded a long time ago. Same thing with pretty much any advanced field of magic which is why these classes are so testy to RP.

Ya know I just realized in my own nonexistant self awareness that, that guide is more specifically to obtaining soul crystals legally/acceptably rather than taking on the job/class/discipline itself. I suppose there is a bit of leniency around astromancy then, just with some limitations like blm's probably shouldn't go around casting flares and etc.

Ty for the info o/

That tumblr post was also written before Stormblood and the lore within. While it holds true for many of the jobs, things can and occasionally change per expansion/patch. Focusing on Astrologian in particular, the Heavensward AST quests were all about how Sharalayan wanted to restrict Astromancy and Leveva's struggles to get Ishgard to allow her to teach it. In 4.0, she has students aside from Jannequinard and the player character, and they delve into the story of one such student and his reasons for wanting to learn the Sharlayan style of astromancy.

Kinda now noticing how alike MCH and AST's questline was in that regards... An antagonist doesn't like or wants to restrict the teachings/class and your char becomes the catalyst to keep that from happening and even expands the job.

• 2 weeks later...

In the process of poking around the Gamer Escape wiki thing for FFXIV for unrelated lore info, I happened across the names of three organizations that seem pretty interesting: Azeyma's Shields, The Horn and Hand, and the Zer'maat Five. While the former two have blurbs that briefly give a run-down of what they did and the like, the last of those three doesn't seem to have anything other than a note that it's a criminal organization. I'm assuming these organizations were never brought up outside of 1.0... But is there any more information available about them? Particularly about the Zer'maat Five? (Or the alternative: is Gamer Escape pulling my leg here and these organizations never actually existed? I would be sad if that was the case... I loved stuff like the Alacran's role in the GLD quests.)

In the process of poking around the Gamer Escape wiki thing for FFXIV for unrelated lore info, I happened across the names of three organizations that seem pretty interesting: Azeyma's Shields, The Horn and Hand, and the Zer'maat Five. While the former two have blurbs that briefly give a run-down of what they did and the like, the last of those three doesn't seem to have anything other than a note that it's a criminal organization. I'm assuming these organizations were never brought up outside of 1.0... But is there any more information available about them? Particularly about the Zer'maat Five? (Or the alternative: is Gamer Escape pulling my leg here and these organizations never actually existed? I would be sad if that was the case... I loved stuff like the Alacran's role in the GLD quests.)

While I unfortunately cannot answer the actual lore questions, I can vouch for Gamer Escape having their lore down. They do a lot of fact-checking and some of their pages are things ripped from the client or official media. It could have also been a page they lost when their database got ransomeware-encrypted.

Zer'Maat Five related levequest.

Don't worry, Gamerescape is quite reliable. These organizations all existed (and the game still gives a few scattered references to them in 2.0 if you know where to look).

You can read up on the Zer'maat Five in my post on them here!

Gamerescape gives a pretty solid overview on the Horn and Hand and Azeyma's Shields (there was also a third organization called the Brotherhood of the Broken Blade), but I'll drop more lore on them below the spoiler tag! In 1.0, these organizations were three factions that occasionally hired adventurers discreetly to handle more sensitive missions. In order to prove your worth, you had to buy these missions with faction points.

The Horn and Hand

Horn and Hand 7th Eye, Diego Athral

A caravan loaded with goods was traveling along the trade route between Limsa Lominsa and Ishgard until it was decimated in Coerthas by an Ixali raiding party. The caravan's goods were assured by the Triton's Marine Assurance' date=' so naturally the company would prefer to attempt to recover some of the cargo rather than replace it completely. We can assume that the Ixal carried away the majority of the items, but they are known to care little for heavy armor. This is our chance to enter Triton's good graces. Travel to the scene of the attack and see if any of the trunks of armor can be salvaged.[/quote']

Limsa Lominsa is astir with speculation over the mysterious wooden boxes that recently washed into port. After obtaining one of these tightly sealed crafts for our faction' date=' we opened it to discover a number of large, bullet-shaped hunks of metal packed in sawdust. Upon closer inspection, we deduced that the oversized bullets were actually cannon shells expertly forged from incredibly light mythril - apparently a shipment of foreign ammunition has found its way to our shores. We ask for volunteers to collect as many of these crates as possible so that we might safely dismantle the contents and prevent any accidental explosions from mishandling this unfamiliar ordnance.[/quote']

There is a rumor circulating among the miners that the spriggans of Coerthas have struck a sizable vein of gold ore. Should this prove true' date=' and the Horn and Hand is able to capitalize on their good fortune, our faction shall escape the rising waters of debt threatening to drown us. Travel to the indicated location, relieve Seventh Eye Diego Athral from his duty, and follow one of the spriggans without being detected. Our financial freedom hinges on discerning where the monstrous miners stash their precious metal![/quote']

Shortly after departing Millers' Glade in the Coerthas eastern lowlands' date=' an airship carrying supplies to Gridania was attacked by a pair of dragons. Knowing that they did not have the firepower to dispatch the creatures, the pilot chose instead to outrun them. To do so, however, he gave the order to jettison several items in his cargo hold in order to lighten the airship, thus increasing its speed. Cheers of joy filled the vessel when it arrived safely in the Black Shroud, but when the pilot realized which cargo was abandoned, those cheers soon turned to shouts of anger, for the crates that were lost were owned by one of the wealthiest noble families in Ishgard. The Horn and Hand has determined this a most opportune chance to improve our faction's standing in the mountain city-state, and so we seek volunteers to travel to the wreckage and assist in recovering the crates before bandits come across the items and claim them for themselves.[/quote']

After moons of investigation, it has been determined that a ruthless band of poachers known as the Antlions is responsible for the death of hundreds of rare white antelopes─revered by Gridanians as holy messengers of the wood. While several of the bandits have been captured and jailed by the local Holtwatch, it is believed that as long as the band's ringleader, Hooknosed Wylla, is still at large, the rampant poaching will continue. Unfortunately, city-state law will not allow her arrest without conclusive evidence that she was truly involved in the killing of white antelopes. To gather this evidence, the Horn and Hand is seeking brave volunteers to join Seventh Eye Diego Athral in the tracking of Hooknosed Wylla. Those participating in the mission will be rationed a special concoction made from the chitin of rainbow flies. This “prism powder” will render its wearers invisible, allowing them to safely track Wylla until she leaves behind an item that might implicate her in her crimes.

Goblin-made "sweetboxes" have been placed around Gridania to repel the voracious insects that feed on the city greenery. Unfortunately the sickly-sweet fumes escaping from the boxes also have the effect of driving away benign bugs necessary for pollination' date=' not to mention inducing nausea and dizziness in small children. We ask for volunteers to quickly and quietly remove these malodorous inventions and help us ensure the well-being of Gridania's citizenry.[/quote']

For use on a forthcoming mission, the Horn and Hand requires a large quantity of rainbow flies. This elusive vilekin, however, is rarely ever seen by man, due to a combination of a prism-like chitinous body and the mind-boggling speed at which the creature cuts through the air. Currently, the only reliable method known to subdue a rainbow fly is to let the fly's only natural predator─the butcher basilisk─do the work for you. Rather than relying on its underdeveloped eyes to see the nearly invisible vilekin, the butcher basilisk utilizes its highly developed olfactory nerves to track the fly's movement and predict its flight pattern. Once its prey is caught, the basilisk will then carry it to a thorned tree or sharp rock, where it will impale the rainbow fly and leave the twitching carcass to attract female butcher basilisks.

Volunteers are sought to track butcher basilisks until they catch rainbow flies, wait until the fly has been impaled, and then collect the fly before a female basilisk arrives. The same sense of smell that allows the butcher basilisk to detect the scent of rainbow flies will also alert it of a person's presence, causing the beast to run and hide. To ensure the volunteers do not attract the unwanted attention of the scalekin, we will provide a special deodorizing agent made from virgin's veil to mask all unpleasant odors.

Last night' date=' a caravan commissioned by the Lancaster family to deliver a shipment of archaeological artifacts was attacked by a band of highwaymen outside Limsa Lominsa. Among the items stolen were hundreds of samples of rare bronze coins minted in the 3rd Astral Era by the lost Allagan Empire. To the untrained eyes of the brigands, however, the coins must have seemed little more than pieces of rusted rubbish, for there is a trail of discarded items leading away from the site of the assault. To improve our faction's standing with the well-endowed Lancasters, we ask for volunteers to travel to the wreckage and assist in recovering the coins before the highwaymen realize their mistake and return to retrieve the items themselves.[/quote']

An entire shelf-load of flasks was recently stolen from the Frondale's Phrontistery. The culprit' date=' a disreputable Dunesfolk chap, was arrested as he was discovered struggling in mid-air by the city gate, his belly swollen up like an ixali Battle Balloon. The unfortunate thief had mistaken the experimental flotation liquid for growth potions. Although the case is officially closed, there remains a significant problem-the emptied flasks strewn about the city. If even a single drop of the unstable chemical should remain it will gradually react to the oxygen in the air almost certainly explode. It falls to the Horn and Hand to gather these ticking time bombs and rescue fair Ul'dah from imminent catastrophe.[/quote']

For use on a forthcoming mission' date=' the Horn and Hand requires several clumps of a rare moss known as "virgin's veil." Only found in remote locations of the Black Shroud, virgin's veil has a remarkably short lifespan, producing spores mere bells from its sprouting, only to wither and die before the next day's evenfall. Unfortunately, it is this unique characteristic that makes the moss, prized for its deodorizing qualities, extremely difficult to obtain. Our trusted agent, Diego Athral, has been dispatched to a location rumored to recently have seen abundant growth of the moss, and is seeking loyal volunteers to assist him in gathering the fleeting plant. All interested are to report to the Seventh Eye immediately.[/quote']

Among the antling hierarchy' date=' there are the worker ants, responsible for gathering food, and the soldier ants, tasked with defending the colony. The ratio of workers to soldiers is strictly controlled by the type of eggs laid by the queen, and all the myriad members of the colony function together as a single organism. Far more cohesive than even the most disciplined army, the antlings are seen by Ul'dah as a looming danger that must be contained. Thus the question was posed: what if we were able to control the type of antling that hatched from an egg? Too few workers, and the colony would starve. Too few soldiers, and the queen would be defenseless. Further research into this idea requires a large number of samples. Travel to the indicated location and assist Seventh Eye Diego Athral in gathering antling eggs.[/quote']

Azeyma's Shields

Azeyma's Shields Isleguards, W'mhelgo Hena and Lydie Bellveil

In an attempt to weaken the Zer'maat Five's grip on the realm' date=' Azeyma's Shields has decided to assassinate the third ranking member of the Ul'dah branch of the underground organization, B'khenna the Phoenixfire. Known for her uncanny ability to survive any wound dealt her, no matter how grievous, B'khenna is a renowned gladiator, having won ten tourneys to date. She is also, however, a cold-blooded killer with strong connections to several high-standing members of Ul'dah's ruling class. Using the guise of one of the Syndicate, Isleguard W'mhelgo Hena has succeeded in luring the swordswoman out to Nophica's Wells for a private meeting. There, in that remote corner of western Thanalan, the mission is to be carried out as discreetly as possible to avoid any unwanted attention. Join the Isleguard immediately and assist her in her operation.[/quote']

In an attempt to weaken the Zer'maat Five's grip on the realm' date=' Azeyma's Shields has decided to assassinate B'khenna Phoenixfire. B'khenna is notorious for the shrewd manner in which she manipulates people using both her public persona as a popular, retired gladiator, and her private persona as the merciless third-ranking member of the Five's underground organization. Despite having left the gladiatorial world thirty years ago, her appearance remains unaltered since her time in the arena. It is suspected that B'khenna maintains her looks with forbidden necromantic rites involving maggots. Be on guard. Join Isleguard W'mhelgo Hena in Camp Broken Water, follow orders, and douse the Phoenixfire.[/quote']

All who visit the city of Gridania come away with at least one memory in common─the riot of colorful flowers adorning every household. The person maintaining these floral splendors is one Alvara Sourkiss' date=' a dedicated gardener who visits each residence on a daily basis. An informant has accused the ever-smiling lass of growing poisonous herbs for the Zer'maat Five. While it is difficult to believe the sunny Alvara capable of such dastardly deeds, Isleguard W'mhelgo Hena is not one to be deceived by appearances. Join the Isleguard in her interrogation of the gardener, and assist in Sourkiss's demise should she attempt to resist.[/quote']

If you visit the Acorn Orchard' date=' you will find a man beloved by the children for the toys he crafts from wood. They call him the "Toymaker," but his real name is Coiled Adder. He once earned fame as a gifted snake charmer, and is now a known agent of the Zer'maat Five. His identity was revealed when a child accidentally broke open one of his miniature wooden hand carts, and released a sundrake hatchling. The hatchling was stiff as a board, and appeared withered and dead, but on closer inspection, Seventh Eye Diego Athral realized that the drake had deliberately been placed in a death-like coma. If he so chose, Coiled Adder could have awakened the sundrake from outside the child's home with a whistle, and commanded it to steal information or even set fire to the house itself. Isleguard W'mhelgo Hena has been seducing Adder in the guise of a vapid reptile enthusiast, and promised to meet him in an isolated location. Join the Isleguard and assist her in dispatching this slithering criminal.[/quote']

Godwin Goodgoat is known as a hardworking La Noscea shepherd. He raises his charges with grandfatherly attention' date=' and their vibrant fleeces are highly sought after by merchants as a valuable export. Nevertheless, Azeyma's Shields has irrefutable evidence that this unassuming old man actually serves the Zer'maat Five as a frighteningly proficient weaponsmaster. An uncounted number of the Five's smugglers have used Godwin's fighting techniques to battle their way free of the law, and we cannot allow this training to continue. Join Isleguard W'mhelgo Hena and confront Godwin while he is taking his sheep out to pasture. But be warned: it is said the "dog" that helps herd his flock is a vicious and savage beast.[/quote']

Not long ago' date=' Mathistien of the Cloven Hoof and his traveling grotesquery was one of the realm's most popular exhibitions. People would flock from all around the countryside to see such spectacles as the two-headed nannygoat, the hairless phurble, and the show's main attraction—the colossal Tarbh Uisge. However, it was not until after the giant creature broke loose from its fetters and trampled through Limsa Lominsa, starting a fire that destroyed hundreds of buildings and killed countless innocent citizens, including two high-ranking thalassocratic officials, that it was revealed that Mathistien was actually an assassin for the Zer'maat Five. Needless to say, the mummer was promptly arrested and exiled to a lonely island prison in the Cieldalaes, where he has remained in solitude for the past ten years...or so we thought, for lately there have been rumors that the assassin has fled his island prison and is not only back on Vylbrand, but has brought with him his loyal pet, Tarbh Uisge. Azeyma's Shields is certain that this is the work of the Zer'maat Five, and will stop at nothing to recapture this dangerous criminal and bring him back to justice.[/quote']

Rumor has that well-known songstress Parazuzu' date=' often seen performing in central Limsa Lominsa's Octant, is actually a lycanthropic asassin hired by the international crime syndicate Zer'maat Five to eliminate a high-ranking official in the Knights of the Barracuda. Azeyma's Shields' W'mhelgo Hena has been tracking Palemoon's movements for the past fortnight and believes she may have discovered a pattern. Join the Isleguard and assist her in capturing the shapeshifter before she can carry out her bloody mission.[/quote']

A jolly mummer known around the realm for his traveling galago show' date=' Rorogun the Tailtamer is loved by nobles and smallfolk alike. Newly gathered intelligence, however, suggests that the Lalafell actually is a member of the Zer'maat Five, using his pets in the smuggling and exchange of everything from forbidden artifacts and stolen relics to outlawed poisons and contraband. Azeyma's Shields has tracked Rorogun to Gridania, where he is currently conducting daily shows while practicing his foul trade. Join Isleguard W'mhelgo Hena in Tranquil Paths to ambush the mummer as he passes through the area on his way back to his campsite.[/quote']

Recently' date=' several well-guarded plantations privately owned by Gridania's Greatloam Growery were ravaged by an infestation of slugs, resulting in the loss of nearly one half of all this season's rye crop. Normally, such a disaster would be deemed an unfortunate but unavoidable act of nature, and soon forgotten, if not for the report of an Azeyma's Shields informant that claims a known member of the Zer'maat Five--Ser Aucheforne of the High Tide--was seen purchasing nearly all of Limsa Lominsa's remaining supplies of rye flour the same day the Growery's crops were destroyed, most likely intending to sell it back to the city at an inflated price once a flour shortage was imminent. The false knight must pay for his crimes, and has already been tracked to his hideout in Cassiopeia Hollow. Join Isleguard W'mhelgo Hena in the caves immediately and assist her in his capture.[/quote']

Tales tell of an isle in the Far East where a talented band of spies have mastered the art of riding giant toads and seeing through the eyes of frogs. Recent intelligence states that one of these trained agents' date=' Toadsquatter Femomo, has been hired at great expense by the Zer'maat Five. If the stories are true, Femomo could attempt to sneak a tiny dart frog into Azeyma's Shields headquarters and view all that transpired within. The identity of our members would be exposed, leaving them vulnerable to retaliation from underground elements. In a preemptive action, Toadsquatter has been lured to an unpopulated area where Isleguard W'mhelgo Hena awaits. Join the Isleguard, and assist in removing this threat.[/quote']

According to intelligence gathered by agents of The Horn and Hand' date=' international crime syndicate Zer'maat Five has hired the services of one "Xha Viqqoh the Nibbler" to infiltrate the upper levels of The Mizzenmast and assassinate the Admiral where she sleeps. Considering the number of guards on duty at the tower, this would normally be an impossible task. The Nibbler is rumored, however, to be a formidable mage with the ability to change her appearance into that of a tiny rat. Fortunately, the whereabouts of the shape-shifter's hideout have been discovered and the Shields are planning a covert mission to capture the criminal and foil her masters' plans. Join Isleguard W'mhelgo Hena immediately and assist her in her operation.[/quote']

The Brotherhood of the Broken Blade

Broken Blade Captain Dyrstan Corwell and Lieutenant War Wolf

The past moons have seen a significant rise in the number of armored caravans being laid to waste by some terrible' date=' unidentified foe. According to intelligence gathered by agents of the Horn and Hand, most of the bodies found among the wreckage have been inflicted with a profuse number of bites, cuts, and burns akin to those found on victims of drake attacks. Some of the victims, however, exhibit bane-sores of a differing variety—these coming from what appear to be swords or spears. This has led the Brotherhood of the Broken Blade to believe that these unfortunate incidents are not merely random attacks by wild creatures, but precisely orchestrated assaults by the Amalj'aa to disrupt the flow of goods into Ul'dah. Brave volunteers are sought to embark on a mission to prove once and for all that the desert tribe is behind the attacks.[/quote']

The Qiqirn goon squad known as the “Deviled Eggs” has snuck into the royal hatcheries and made off with the delectable ovoid offspring of the rare golden dodo. Aside from depriving the sultana of her breakfast omelette' date=' this audacious act of larceny has punctured the pride of her personal guard. Join Lieutenant War Wolf and his Broken Blades in their efforts to track down and silence the Deviled Eggs before the shame of palace security becomes common knowledge.[/quote']

After breaking camp in Burnt Lizard Creek' date=' several units of heavily armed Amalj'aa infantry have begun their slow march north to the Royal Sunway. There it is suspected they will turn east and advance to Ul'dah, destroying everything in their path, as is the cold-blooded beasts' wont. The sultanate dispatched a party of Brass Blades immediately upon hearing the news, but the trained guard were little match for the Amalj'aa and were all but eliminated─the few which did survive returning to tell spine-chilling tales of fearless warriors wielding terrible fire-breathing war machines. Rather than stand idly by as the Syndicate and their royal catspaw, the sultana, argue over what steps to take next, the Brotherhood of the Broken Blade has pledged to take the sword to these foul invaders and send them and their unholy machina back to the pit from which they crawled. Join Lieutenant War Wolf at Camp Broken Water and assist his brothers in their planned assault.[/quote']

Over the course of several moons' date=' there have been frequent sightings of Ixali Battle Balloons in the skies of Ul'dah. Though the purpose for their intrusions has yet to be determined, the Syndicate has begun to entertain the unpleasant possibility that the heretofore hostile relations between the Amalj'aa and the Ixal have somehow developed into a military alliance. The Broken Blades have been tasked with locating one of these Battle Balloons, slaughtering the crew, and framing the massacre on the Amalj'aa. Join Lieutenant War Wolf at Camp Nine Ivies and assist his brothers in sowing discord among the enemies of the Syndicate.[/quote']

The once-timid kobolds of O'Ghomoro have grown bold' date=' their excursions taking them far from the mountains which they live, and deep into thalassocratic territory in search of Earth Shards. However, an ancient treaty forged between the indigenous tribes and the first settlers of Vylbrand prevents the Knights of the Barracuda from intervention, even though reports of attacks on farmers living in areas rich in crystals increase with each new day. Rather than stand idly by as more innocent Eorzeans die at the hands of the beast tribes, The Brotherhood of the Broken Blade has resolved to take action. Join Broken Blade Lieutenant War Wolf's unit on a mission to eradicate a kobold party sighted en route to a remote Lominsan settlement.[/quote']

A savage group of buccaneers believed to be connected with the Sahagin's Serpent Reavers is wreaking havoc on shoreline settlements in southern Vylbrand. Unlike the other Lominsan pirates who follow a loose but somewhat noble code of conduct' date=' these dastards' crimes have included indiscriminate acts of kidnapping, arson, theft, torture, murder...and more. And to further complicate matters, it is highly likely they have a contact within the Knights of the Barracuda who is able to inform them of forthcoming raids, keeping the crew one step ahead of danger. Rather than stand idly by as more innocent Eorzeans die at the hands of the beast tribes' minions, the Brotherhood of the Broken Blade has resolved to take matters into their own hands. Travel to the specified location and join Broken Blade Lieutenant War Wolf's unit in a planned ambush on the buccaneers.[/quote']

A Barracuda troopship sailing south through the Straits of Merlthor crossed paths with a buccaneer vessel affiliated with the Sahagin's Serpent Reavers. The pirates boarded the troopship and relieved it of its cargo--a shipment of imported flintlocks. Unwilling to compromise naval security by sending an entire squadron in pursuit of a single vessel' date=' the Knights were forced to turn to the Broken Blades for assistance. Lieutenant War Wolf has tracked down the bilge-soaked brigands, and prepares to assault their hideout. Join him and his unit in the attack and retrieve the stolen shipment of flintlocks.[/quote']

A band of delinquent sylphs calling themselves the "Dewflowers" are causing havoc in The Black Shroud by using their hypnotic lays to lure unsuspecting adventurers deep into the forest. Once the travelers are completely and utterly lost' date=' the sylphs then appear before them and offer to lead them back to the main road...for a price. The Wood Wailers and the Gods' Quiver have both sent units into the forest to capture the rogue beastmen, but to no avail, and now the task of ridding the region of this menace has fallen to the Broken Blades. Join Lieutenant War Wolf at Camp Tranquil and help turn these tricksters to humus![/quote']

According to recent intelligence' date=' an Amalj'aa army of unprecedented numbers has emerged from the south and pitched camp in Burnt Lizard Creek. The Brass Blades, charged with the defense of Ul'dah, have begun bolstering garrisons in the region's hamlets and reinforcing the siege walls in anticipation of an attack on the capital. The coin-grubbing Syndicate, however, has yet to lift sanctions on hiring mercenaries for fear that such warlike preparations will adversely affect trade. Thus it falls to the Brotherhood of the Broken Blade to blunt the advance of the encroaching threat and show the world how true warriors deal with invading curs. Join Lieutenant War Wolf at Camp Broken Water and assist his unit in their ambush of an Amalj'aa scouting party.[/quote']

Deep within the shadows of the Black Shroud lurks a wolf so fearsome, so terrifying, so unnatural, that local villagers have little choice but to cower in their homes, lest they become his next victim. Legends call the beast Deadeyes, and he is unlike any creature the forest has ever seen. As alpha male, he exhibits the cunning and composure of an army general while leading his pack of slavering minions through the region, showing mo mercy to those unfortunate enough to fall in their path. There has been many a proud hunter boast he will be the one to finally capture Deadeyes, but as of yet, none have survived to fulfill that claim…

Recently, there have been numerous reports of a pack of bloodthirsty wolves attacking farmsteads deep within in the Black Shroud. According to eyewitness accounts, the pack is led by a ferocious alpha male with glowing red eyes, and the attacks have been conducted with a military-like precision unlike anything ever seen in the wild. The Brotherhood of the Broken Blade is calling upon its loyal brothers and sisters to join in the patrolling of frequently attacked areas, not only in order to protect the lives of those living there, but also to determine once and for all who is truly behind these assaults.

To the north of La Noscea' date=' deep in the mountains of O'Ghomoro, lives a tribe of beastmen made up of dirty little creatures known as kobolds. It is rumored they worship a terrible primal formed from mud and stone. This primal is thought to live deep beneath the ground, and people say that his frequent fits of rage cause the tremors that plague the region. I can't imagine why the Brotherhood of the Broken Blade doesn't send a party of its best warriors to deal with the creature once and for all. Maybe they are waiting for the Garleans to come and do it themselves. I hear the Empire is planning their own assault on the primals - or 'eikons', I think they call them - because they believe the creatures to be nothing more than lesser demons posing as false gods.[/quote']

The blast that destroyed Bozja(sp?) Citadel, and the blast that leveled the Isle of Val. Was it proven that they were different phenomena, or could they be the same?

Bozja was destroyed during tests of Dalamud's capability. Dalamud had already fallen by the time the Isle of Val disappeared (it wasn't destroyed; it just vanished, remember). Ergo: they can't possibly have been the same cause.

The blast that destroyed Bozja(sp?) Citadel, and the blast that leveled the Isle of Val. Was it proven that they were different phenomena, or could they be the same?

The blast which leveled the commercial hub of Bozja in Othard was the first iteration of Garlemald's Meteor Project in 1562. The blast was caused by a surge of 5000 years worth of pent-up energy amassed in the moon, which vaporized the city and nearby area. The magicks which destroyed the Isle of Val are currently unknown, though it is almost assuredly the work of Ascians. The only text speaking of Val's obliteration likens the magicks to the destructive force of Ultima, so it's likely that the Heart of Sabik, a relic predating Allag, is involved.

The Bozja Incident

1562 - On the continent of Othard' date=' Grand Minister Midas nan Garlond conducts the first field test of the Meteor Project at the Citadel Bozja. A massive quantity of energy is released from Dalamud, obliterating the tower and the surrounding city, causing heavy casualties.[/quote']

The Meteor Project was soon drafted and the tantalizing prospect of an all-powerful weapon was met with broad approval within the Imperial Court. Mere days after receiving the Emperor's blessing' date=' nan Garlond would soon travel to the Garlean city of Bozja to conduct the first attempt to communicate with Dalamud. The immensity of the satellite's power was indeed confirmed that day, but at a disastrous cost. Nearly five millennia-worth of amassed energy was directed by the moon to the citadel's makeshift transmission tower. The beam emitted by Dalamud was so intense that not only the tower, but the entire city was evaporated in an instant. Efforts were made by the Imperial Censors to hide the event from public scrutiny, but the vanishing of a major commercial center was too big a secret to suppress. News of the catastrophe quickly spread across Hydaelyn and later became known as the Bozja Incident.[/quote']

Bozja Citadel... An entire city gone in the blink of an eye. All the literature left to us of Allag' date=' the lunar transmitter, the testing facilities - all gone without a trace. Not a page or stone remained. Not even a corpse.[/quote']

The Isle of Val

Grave tidings from the Sharlayan motherland' date=' my lady. It doth concern our distant allies, the Students of Baldesion. My lady... the Isle of Val, which for many years hath been the order's home, is no more. I relate only that which hath been conveyed unto me by our agents. An aetheric wave of the highest magnitude was recorded in the region. Soon thereafter, 'twas observed that the isle had ceased to be. 'Tis postulated that a magick was evoked, like in power to Ultima.[/quote']

Several members of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn remained missing' date=' and to find them they sought the assistance of a Sharlayan scholar newly come to Eorzea: Krile, a member of the Students of Baldesion. She had been present during the attack on the Isle of Val, when a magick of immense power akin to Ultima obliterated not only the order's headquarters, but the isle itself. However, like the Warrior of Light, she possessed not only the Echo, but had availed herself of the blessing of Light's protection, and in so doing managed to survive.[/quote']

Hope this helps! ^^

I've been searching these forums and using google(surprise right?) but I cannot find the source for this. I know about the area mentioning how au ra horns work as well as tails but I was curious where it was mentioned about them confirming that au ra don't shed. I vaguely recall there being a confirmed source for this but I cannot find it whatsoever. Or I'm imagining things, if there is a source though, could anyone hmu?

It's all from the same Q&A answer, from Las Vegas Fan Fest 2016:

Q: Tell us about Au Ra a little more! How likely is it that their horns and tails are damaged/removed? Do they feel sensation against them, or are they a solid material? Should said tails or horns be damaged, do they grow back or are they lost forever? Just how good is Auri hearing? I'm assuming that the horns are hollow.

A: More info in the lore book, but also: it's hard for a tail or horn to be removed. They don't shed. They grow continuously until they reach a certain size then stop. They don't grow super long. If they're damaged, in a fall or in battle, they will slowly regrow until they reach the maximum size again. The horns themselves are hollow and the vibration of sound inside them aids their hearing. Is their hearing better than a lalafell who are supposed to have the best hearing? No their hearing is about as good as a hyur, just in a different way / hear it / process it differently. More in the lore book!

In other words, the thing about au ra not shedding was with regards to their horns/tails, not their scales. (Also, spoilers, there wasn't anything more in the lore book about it.)

It's all from the same Q&A answer, from Las Vegas Fan Fest 2016:

Q: Tell us about Au Ra a little more! How likely is it that their horns and tails are damaged/removed? Do they feel sensation against them, or are they a solid material? Should said tails or horns be damaged, do they grow back or are they lost forever? Just how good is Auri hearing? I'm assuming that the horns are hollow.

A: More info in the lore book, but also: it's hard for a tail or horn to be removed. They don't shed. They grow continuously until they reach a certain size then stop. They don't grow super long. If they're damaged, in a fall or in battle, they will slowly regrow until they reach the maximum size again. The horns themselves are hollow and the vibration of sound inside them aids their hearing. Is their hearing better than a lalafell who are supposed to have the best hearing? No their hearing is about as good as a hyur, just in a different way / hear it / process it differently. More in the lore book!

In other words, the thing about au ra not shedding was with regards to their horns/tails, not their scales. (Also, spoilers, there wasn't anything more in the lore book about it.)

Damn, that's what I thought. That was all I could find too, welp ty xD.

• 2 weeks later...

So I couldn't quite find any information about Sidurgu's tribe other than the events that he claims took place for the 50-60 quests. I was wondering a couple things in regards to this.

1. Is the only information we have about his tribe that it's just pretty much wiped out now?

2. So it was to my understanding the Xaela pretty much easily overwhelmed Garlemald and they ended up giving up trying to take over the steppe because of the amount of effort and etc reasons it'd take. Xaela are a hassle cuz they're tough and the lands are made for toughies :P. Now Sidurgu supposedly was with the group of doman refugees that I thought was escaping the wrath of Garlemald's reign in the east... Why did his tribe go all the way to Ishgard(and how frankly, they'd have to get through ul'dah or further up north where the garlean threat would likely have spotted them) just to find peace when he could have easily been in the steppe away from it all? Or is there some explanation he says why he came to Ishgard specifically or why he was a refugee, maybe to get away from the xaela tribes?

So I couldn't quite find any information about Sidurgu's tribe other than the events that he claims took place for the 50-60 quests. I was wondering a couple things in regards to this.

1. Is the only information we have about his tribe that it's just pretty much wiped out now?

2. So it was to my understanding the Xaela pretty much easily overwhelmed Garlemald and they ended up giving up trying to take over the steppe because of the amount of effort and etc reasons it'd take. Xaela are a hassle cuz they're tough and the lands are made for toughies :P. Now Sidurgu supposedly was with the group of doman refugees that I thought was escaping the wrath of Garlemald's reign in the east... Why did his tribe go all the way to Ishgard(and how frankly, they'd have to get through ul'dah or further up north where the garlean threat would likely have spotted them) just to find peace when he could have easily been in the steppe away from it all? Or is there some explanation he says why he came to Ishgard specifically or why he was a refugee, maybe to get away from the xaela tribes?

Race (Clan): Au Ra (Xaela)

Epithet: Sidurgu of the Obsidian Heart

As a child, Sidurgu lived with his family in a frontier town of Othard, until their settlement fell under the subjugation of the invading Garlean Empire. Unable to endure the stifling regime of their conquerors, his parents bundled him into a cart along with their meagre possessions, and fled into the wilderness soon after his sixth nameday. For five years they wandered, seeking a place to belong, before their journeys eventually brought them to Eorzea’s shores. Like many of their race, they found themselves drawn to the plains of Coerthas, where they hoped to adopt the nomadic ways of their ancestors… but neither fate nor the Ishgardians were kind to the Au Ra.

Molded by a life of tragedy, the displaced Xaela found himself well suited to the mantle of a dark knight. Now bereft of family, master, and fellow apprentice, Sidurgu wears his stern demeanour like a suit of armour, impenetrable to all perhaps but his young charge, Rielle.

That clears up some of it, such as why they gravitated toward pre-calamity Coerthas. AFAIK, we don't know what happened to the rest of the Orl tribe, or what other tribes/groups arrived in Ishgard and were killed alongside Sidurgu's family. Since Orl is not seen on the official list of known tribes, it's possible that they were wiped out earlier and his parents moved to Othard to escape the slaughter, but that is purely speculation.

Why did his tribe go all the way to Ishgard(and how frankly, they'd have to get through ul'dah or further up north where the garlean threat would likely have spotted them) just to find peace when he could have easily been in the steppe away from it all? Or is there some explanation he says why he came to Ishgard specifically or why he was a refugee, maybe to get away from the xaela tribes?

As a child, Sidurgu lived with his family in a frontier town of Othard, until their settlement fell under the subjugation of the invading Garlean Empire. Unable to endure the stifling regime of their conquerors, his parents bundled him into a cart along with their meagre possessions, and fled into the wilderness soon after his sixth nameday. For five years they wandered, seeking a place to belong, before their journeys eventually brought them to Eorzea’s shores. Like many of their race, they found themselves drawn to the plains of Coerthas, where they hoped to adopt the nomadic ways of their ancestors… but neither fate nor the Ishgardians were kind to the Au Ra.

Molded by a life of tragedy, the displaced Xaela found himself well suited to the mantle of a dark knight. Now bereft of family, master, and fellow apprentice, Sidurgu wears his stern demeanour like a suit of armour, impenetrable to all perhaps but his young charge, Rielle.

A few things to point out: the Orl tribe doesn't appear to have been living on the Azim Steppe during the Garlean invasion. It's possible they could've lived on the "frontier" between northern Yanxia and southern Azim Steppe, an area where Garlemald might have gone. Also that it mentions that the Orl tribe hoped to adopt the nomadic ways of their ancestors further separates them from the other Xaela tribes we know of.

How they got there isn't exactly clear. They wandered for five years, which implies they traveled mostly by land routes through Garlean occupied territory. Did they just keep their heads down and act as travelling merchants? Did they avoid patrols the whole way to Eorzea? Did they only go so far and then come the rest of the way by boat? We don't know the specifics.

I'm also adding Sidurgu's own rendition of his tale to the lore book's:

The first Ishgardians to encounter Au Ra saw Dravanians. We had fled Garlemald’s armies only to come to a land where we were mistaken for another nation’s mortal enemy. They bared steel and came to kill us…but we did not die so easily. We spared them and sent them on their way…and how do you think they repaid our kindness? With fire and blood! With death for every man, woman, and child!

…I was about Rielle’s age when I came to Ishgard. My parents, they…they said we would find a better life here. When the Temple Knights we had shown mercy returned, they let us choose the order in which we would die. That would be their mercy to us, they declared.

I watched my parents kneel in the dirt. “Look away,” they said. But I could not. At last, when it was my turn, I knelt and prepared to follow them into death. I closed my eyes…but when I opened them, a man in black stood before me, hand outstretched. And so I took it. “Defend the meek.” “Punish the wicked.” …Mayhap it was all but a convenient excuse to indulge in vengeance. She deserves better than me. But there is no one else…

Sidurgu's version makes it seem like the Temple Knights either returned in greater numbers or took the Orl by surprise.

Now Sidurgu supposedly was with the group of doman refugees that I thought was escaping the wrath of Garlemald's reign in the east...

Not the same group. According to the lore book entry, Sidurgu traveled with his tribe, the Orl, and this event took place many years before the recent Doman refugee exodus roughly a year ago. If Sidurgu is 26, and the tribe fled when he was six, this occurred 20 years ago in 1557. The same year Ala Mhigo was conquered. Five years of journeying to reach Eorzea places them reaching Ishgard in 1562. This coincides roughly with the 8th Awakening of Nidhogg, the razing of several Coerthan hamlets including Ferndale, and a severe rise in dragon attacks which prompted the Holy See to eventually withdraw from the Eorzean Alliance and close their gates to all foreigners. As Sidurgu points out, it was a very bad time for a black-scaled race of people to arrive in Ishgard.

So it was to my understanding the Xaela pretty much easily overwhelmed Garlemald and they ended up giving up trying to take over the steppe because of the amount of effort and etc reasons it'd take. Xaela are a hassle cuz they're tough and the lands are made for toughies

Yes and no. It's suggested that the Garleans never actually made any serious attempts to occupy the Azim Steppe. There was no benefit in it versus the cost of going head to head with what the rest of Othard considered vicious warrior people. Similar to how Garlemald takes little interest in expending their armies to take over island nations unless provoked. The Empire is stretched thin as it is, they can't afford to fight everyone.

Oh' date=' I assumed you knew. The Azim Steppe has been home to the nomadic tribes of the Xaela since antiquity. More than fifty roam these lands, and though they do not constitute a nation, there is a hierarchy of sorts, determined through ritual combat.[/quote']

If they're so busy fighting each other' date=' you'd think the Empire would be able to march in and take the Steppe with ease. I wonder why they haven't...[/quote']

Perhaps they see little value in it' date=' especially given the fierce reputation of the Xaela warriors who would fight tooth and nail to oppose them.[/quote']

These lands were not made for men. The soil is thin' date=' and the weather unforgiving. The Xaela found ways to survive, it is true. But they are made of sterner stuff than most imperials - conscript or citizen.[/quote']

Kinda makes me wonder if the Orl's ancestry was akin to living in colder regions given how it's worded there.

Assuming all or most-all Au Ra claim the Azim Steppe as their "ancestral" home regardless of where they live today, I'd say the Coerthas of fifteen years ago most closely matches the Steppe in geography and climate. Both higher elevation grassy areas with freezing cold winters and hot summers, lots of sheep, and plenty of beastkin to hunt.

maxresdefault.jpg

DnwmtAp.jpg

Children of the Dusk Mother of Auri creation' date=' the Xaela have to this day not abandoned their ancestral home, living a nomadic life as hunters and gatherers on the vast Azim Steppe. With suitable grazing land sparse, conflict between individual tribes is common, with tribes forming, disbanding, and dying off in a ceaseless cycle of war and bloodshed. At last observation, Xaela tribes numered fifty-one, though there is a high likelihood that recently splintered or merged tribes have rendered that count outdated.[/quote']

Kinda makes me wonder if the Orl's ancestry was akin to living in colder regions given how it's worded there.

Assuming all or most-all Au Ra claim the Azim Steppe as their "ancestral" home regardless of where they live today, I'd say the Coerthas of fifteen years ago most closely matches the Steppe in geography and climate. Both higher elevation grassy areas with freezing cold winters and hot summers, lots of sheep, and plenty of beastkin to hunt.

*snip*

Children of the Dusk Mother of Auri creation, the Xaela have to this day not abandoned their ancestral home, living a nomadic life as hunters and gatherers on the vast Azim Steppe. With suitable grazing land sparse, conflict between individual tribes is common, with tribes forming, disbanding, and dying off in a ceaseless cycle of war and bloodshed. At last observation, Xaela tribes numered fifty-one, though there is a high likelihood that recently splintered or merged tribes have rendered that count outdated.

Oh that's right, I keep forgetting Coerthas wasn't frozen over back then lol.

• 3 weeks later...

All magic users draw from aether, right? So is the difference between them only how they turn the aether into a spell?

From what I've heard, arcanists use sigils and designs recorded in a book to turn a little aether into a big spell. Conjurers slowly absorb aether through their staves to cast spells. White Mages and Black Mages draw aether directly from the world. Thaums use rituals to the same effect as arcanist's designs. Astros draw aether from the stars (???), and Red Mages use... their sword? Not sure about those.

Also, what are arcanist/scholar/summoner summons? I thought Carbuncle was just a semi-independent mass of aether, customized by the arcanist with whatever designs and patterns they carve into the gem they use for the summoning - so, depending on how the arcanist shaped the gem and what formulas they use, their Carbuncle might be obedient or willful or affectionate or stubborn.

And I guess Egi's are smaller versions of the Primals, which the arcanist/summoner can create because they were exposed to that Primal's aether and are basically making a smaller "copy" of it.

But what are faeries? Are they like Carbuncles, or are they like Egi's?

Yes, all magic users draw from aether and the difference between them is the school and techniques used to cast something. A conjurer will not proceed the same way as a gladiator with Flash or a monk with chakras for exemple.

Arcanists do indeed use sigils and geometric patterns they draw on a book to channel their own aether into finely tuned spells, or to summon aether made entities called carbuncles (also classified inside the higher genus "elementals" like faeries, spriggans or elementals, if I'm not mistaken, I don't have the lorebook with me right now).

Conjurers channel the aether of the land around them through their canes or wands: Nature's bounty, borrowed from elementals and whatnot through prayers and stuff. This is a moogle art originally, taught to Gridanians, but other forms of conjury and healing exist across the world, like ishgardian chirurgeons or ala mighan shamans. Conjury is mostly categorized into two main fields: healing and curative spells, and elemental spells (earth, water, fire, ice, etc, some of them like fire probably harder to draw upon depending on the land around, and frown upon by gridanian conjurers).

Thaumaturges channel their own body aether reserves (vary a great deal depending on the individual, some have almost none, some have plenty) into the gem of their staffs, channeled through the aether conductive materials of the staff itself, like bone or electrum (gold does the opposite though, it's insulating). They burn quickly through their own limited aether, but can regen it better, especially through the Coco brothers school of thaumaturgy which implies swap between astral and umbral elemental states, but that's only for thaumaturges of the newest generation teached at the Ossuary in Ul'dah. Older thaumaturgy is rather different, and other cultures can also have their own flavor. Thaumaturge magic is elemental and can be mostly comprised of all the elements, even if the Coco brothers only use half of them (fire ice and thunder).

Black mages draw their aether directly from the planet indeed, and considering the raw, powerful energies implied, if they don't have a gem of Shattoto with them (the soulstone), their most powerful spells will cook them from inside. White mages also draw their aether from the planet, and wether their method is more gentle or if the soulstone is also mandatory just to even cast white magic spells, is left to speculation. I suspect the later considering the WhM 30-50 quests, where the soulstone has to be specifically bestowed by elementals to the WoL so that they can access the arcanes of that magic, like padjal do.

Astrologians draw their aether from constellations and stars yes. These are apparently powerful sources of magic and can be called upon by trained sharlayan astrologians. A personal theory of mine is that ast magic is actually purely astral (diurnal) or umbral (nocturnal) magic, which gives aspected spells like aspected benefic and whatnot, but that's not specified in the lore per se. Astrology is actually in essence a time magic, using various time distortion and manipulation effects to change the states of things, or steer future possibilities to their will.

Red mages channel their aether exactly like thaumaturges/black mages: through their swords that act as staffs, and the gem at the top. While they can definitely draw upon the land like their white and black mages ancestors can, they refrain from doing so mostly by personal ethics, considering how the War of Magi leaded the world to the 6th Umbral Era. Their swords also act as special caralysts forged to channel their specific blend of white and black magic into potent spells, without having to draw from the land.

Carbuncles are mostly what you described yes. Egi and Faeries don't make exception and are in essence similarly created. Faeries just tend to exhibit more personality and intelligence (close to Spoken/humans, where carbuncles are closer to animals). Egi are infused with primal essence that the summoner has to have basked in before being able to summon them.

Thank you! That cleared up a lot about the different magic practices.

Carbuncles are mostly what you described yes. Egi and Faeries don't make exception and are in essence similarly created. Faeries just tend to exhibit more personality and intelligence (close to Spoken/humans, where carbuncles are closer to animals). Egi are infused with primal essence that the summoner has to have basked in before being able to summon them.

So, is the difference between arcanist and scholar just the ability to summon a faerie? A summoner would need to be exposed to Titan aether, which presumably very few people are in a global scale, but from reading about the job quests, it seems that 'faerie summoning' was just sort of a lost art.

You mention that BLM and WHM can't really use their spells without suiciding if they don't have the job crystal, but could an arcanist learn how to summon a faerie without needing the crystal?