Drugs in Eorzea

Raz

Doing some digging for a plot I'm cobbling together. The only drug I can think of is Somnus, in which the main ingrediant is Dream Flowers. I'm pretty sure an NPC said it can be either smoked or ingested. I assume it's supposed to be akin to what, marujanna, opium? only far more potent?

I realise that there isn't going to be much lore about such things, but I'm curious if anybody has come across any dialogue/ item descriptions that I may have missed that allude to the use of/ different kinds of drugs.

Edit: Apologies for any atrocious spelling errors, I'm on my phone. :frustrated:

Edit edit: Don't do drugs, stay in school!

I could see somnus being rendered into some sort of tincture, like laudanum.  Also... moko grass, which is used to make hempen yarn.  I mean come on... it's hemp.  It's just probably not terribly potent, if at all.

I'm not sure if it's another name for Somnus but a friend of mine mentioned drug called "Dream Ink" I think. It's supposed to be an intense hallucinogenic. There is a plot going on with it among some players, sort of hidden in the background. I don't know much about it myself but I'm sure someone else will. 

Take note, I believe that is a player created drug concept, perhaps taken from Somnus and expanded upon. But people, some people, do know it's existence.

I'm not sure if it's another name for Somnus but a friend of mine mentioned drug called "Dream Ink" I think. It's supposed to be an intense hallucinogenic. There is a plot going on with it among some players, sort of hidden in the background. I don't know much about it myself but I'm sure someone else will. 

Take note, I believe that is a player created drug concept, perhaps taken from Somnus and expanded upon. But people, some people, do know it's existence.

You can find some information on Dream Ink here :D

I could see somnus being rendered into some sort of tincture, like laudanum.  Also... moko grass, which is used to make hempen yarn.  I mean come on... it's hemp.  It's just probably not terribly potent, if at all.

My character uses it as a 'sleep-aid'.

After seeing other statements about it, it would be very silly to use as a sleep aid. When I looked up the drugs of Eorzea I read it to be something not as severe. Can't skimp on that stuff.

Don't remember the name of it but sure remember the fight:

Your enemy takes a drug that basically turns him into the Hulk for a little while. Drugs in Eorzea aren't limited to just normal Earth-effects; the guy gets super strength/stamina.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

The drug was called Pluto and was used by the main antagonist in the last pugilist quest.

This thread might be a helpful reference for you, Raz.

I assume it's supposed to be akin to marujanna, only far more potent?  

I got the impression that somnus is a great deal more dangerous than marijuana and not really similar in effect either. There are suggestions that it's intensely hallucinatory, and you can slip into a coma and die.

I don't really have much to add here but a few old FC mates of mine use to make a joke of someone in our group smoking all the Moko grass whenever we ran out during beta due to testing the crafting system. xP

Though now if I find anything in flavor text here or there I'll surely let you know.

The main thing I remember was from the old "Eorzean Lore and Facts" thread that compiled a lot of 1.0 info.

Blackroot Rose Syndrome: The leaves of the Blackroot Rose, when consumed, cause nightmarish visions and induce extreme fits of violence.

Not exactly a drug you'd want to use for yourself, but I'd bet criminals would find lots of creative use for those leaves.

Somnus is basically opium. Fun fact: the opium poppy's scientific name is papaver somniferum, named for what Roman god of sleep? If you guessed Somnus, you are our grand prize winner! :D

Oh, yeah! After reading some more, I think I misread the effects/severity of Somnus. Opium makes much more sense to compare it to. :roll:

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone!

Blackroot Rose Syndrome: The leaves of the Blackroot Rose, when consumed, cause nightmarish visions and induce extreme fits of violence.

Not exactly a drug you'd want to use for yourself...

Sounds a lot like PCP actually.

Somewhat on the topic, are there any references to tobacco or a tobacco-like plant in Eorzea? I've been known to have Hwab smoke a pipe from time to time. I guess it could be moko grass he's been smoking all along...

I've seen a few NPCs smoking from pipes myself, so I suppose he's smoking whatever they've been smoking...

...even if it's moko grass.

Somewhat on the topic, are there any references to tobacco or a tobacco-like plant in Eorzea? I've been known to have Hwab smoke a pipe from time to time. I guess it could be moko grass he's been smoking all along...

Is Moko more tobacco based or cannabis? If it's more tobacco then is there even a cannabis equivalent? I'm looking for some item that is used to relieve stress.

We see NPCs holding pipes, and there's no soap bubbles coming out of it so I assume there's some sort of smoking going on. I'd put tobacco up there with coffee -- if there's absolutely no nicotiana tabacum/nicotiana rustica plants in Erozea, there's probably plenty of the other tobacco substitutes kicking around like there are in real life: peppermint, spearmint, catnip, various forms of sage, lobelia, lavender, hops, calamus root, licorice root, mullein, just to name a few.

Milkweed/Milkweed Milk is described as a highly addictive hallucinogen made from the pods of Milkweed plant thingies.

For the Sylphs, yes. I think it was mentioned that milkweed was noxious for the PC races, though.

Sylphs also use slime from the dreamtoads... and I can't remember any in-game mentions of it not working for the PC races. So I -guess- people could go and lick toads to get high...

Milkweed/Milkweed Milk is described as a highly addictive hallucinogen made from the pods of Milkweed plant thingies.

For the Sylphs, yes. I think it was mentioned that milkweed was noxious for the PC races, though.

Sylphs also use slime from the dreamtoads... and I can't remember any in-game mentions of it not working for the PC races. So I -guess- people could go and lick toads to get high...

\

Yes, I forgot to mention that part.

It's highly addictive and hallucinogenic for mortal races, as well.  It's just also really, really toxic for them, too.  I forget where I read it, but apparently the toxicity still doesn't deter people who want the high off it.  At least in 1.0, it was apparently a problem for a portion of the population.

Mostly, I believe the drugs in our world have a counterpart in Eorzea. While not having exactly the same names, they have similar effects. So I have deliberately taken a couple of real-world drugs and made them a bit less potent (though still dangerous in large quantities as any drug).

First one is aetheri. This has similar effects to extasy, where one will feel an overwhelming urge to...um...mate. It is mined from aether crystals, therefore dangerous to process in general and highly rare, also making it extremely expensive to purchase. Aetheri is a glittering liquid that is ingested either directly or steamed and inhaled, making you feel the most intense orgasm for hours.

Second is directly taken from real-world, meconium or "midnight oil". Basically, opium. It is not as strong as somnus, but has the same effects, as they are processed from the same plant, just different parts. It is a mild sedative with minor hallucinatory effects. It is a reddish powder that can be snorted for maximum effect, or diluted in liquid (such as tea) to just get the calming portion.

Both drugs are highly addictive and the user may go through great lengths to obtain them.

Yes, I forgot to mention that part.

It's highly addictive and hallucinogenic for mortal races, as well.  It's just also really, really toxic for them, too.  I forget where I read it, but apparently the toxicity still doesn't deter people who want the high off it.  At least in 1.0, it was apparently a problem for a portion of the population.

Aah. Yeah, I've only been playing since ARR's release, and my experience with the stuff made me feel like I was carrying around a bunch of skunk cabbage.

Somewhat on the topic, are there any references to tobacco or a tobacco-like plant in Eorzea? I've been known to have Hwab smoke a pipe from time to time. I guess it could be moko grass he's been smoking all along...

Is Moko more tobacco based or cannabis? If it's more tobacco then is there even a cannabis equivalent? I'm looking for some item that is used to relieve stress.

Try hops. Smoked or turned into a tea, it's a mild sedative and brings up your mood. And we've got beer/ale, so they're kicking around somewhere. There's other ones out there, as well.

Anyways, back to the OP (cause apparently I managed to delete that part of my first post without realizing...) With a bit of research... as long the methods of producing are reasonable for the technology apparent in the game and there's no direct, in-game dialogue against it, it's fair game. There's plenty of herbs/brews that have been used for thousands of years, so with a bit of research there's plenty to be found. For example, if kukuru beans are the equivalent of cocoa beans (as the icon appearance and actual usage in the game suggests)... technically the only reason Eorzea doesn't have cocaine is the lack of technology to extract, condense (since cocoa leaf tea/chewing cocoa leaves isn't enough to get you high) and stabilize it.

I personally peg Erozea's tech levels to mimic what was available during the Renaissance/Age of Exploration (with Garleans being Steampunk), so I might be allowing more than other people are willing.