Eternal Bond: Using it?

Kage

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enterprise, Kage. Start up a business of just modeling trophy wives/husbands and reap the rewards for dozens of hollow, empty marriages!

"Female bachelorette that just wants the benefits of an eternal bond? Meet a dashing Lalafell bachelor that will be -your- trophy husband! He's a Sultansworn to boot!"

Women love a man in uniform.

Especially if they can be cute while doing it!

/lalafellpanic

"He'll even sit on the shelf for awhile so long as you feed him."

Warning: Keep out of reach of mandragoras.

Since there's that one fate talking about Lalas being a treat for mandragoras...and almost anything really lol

Yoshida's repeated calls to not compare Eternal Bond to "marriage" or to not call it that way makes me think that this ritual does not pertain only romantic relationships (and frankly, I prefer it that way, since it allowed for same-gender players to partake to it without rising protests of differently politically inclined players).

I imagine it may also be taken for Eternal Bonds of brotherhood, for example, or loyal friendship as well... you know, all that kind of relationships that includes love but no sexual exchanges.

In this latter case, I can already think of a couple characters among my roster that may exchange Eternal Bond with their respective loyal adventuring partners.

I think it's really to protect SE from the sensibilities of those who prefer no same-sex bonds. At one point in time the benefits of this system had sample art calling for Marriage outfits...

Lalafells are people! Not food (except to every single enemy that isn't man)

I imagine a creation myth where Hydaelyn stacked a bunch of popotos on each other and said "Ennh, good enough."

AND LO, THE FIRST LALAFELL WALKED THE PLANET

:cry:

I think there was a thread that started to go on in the forums about what actual differences there were between the races. Different species vs whatnot.

MAGIC AND SORCERY. LALAFELL ARE MAN OK.

It was definitely SE's way around Japan's very very prudish nature about Same Sex Marriage (And homosexuals in general). At first they weren't even going to allow Same Sex Marriage, stating their home country wouldn't like it (In around about way) but you know, slap a new name on it and pretend it's something else, people stop freaking out so much ("Civil Unions")

It was definitely SE's way around Japan's very very prudish nature about Same Sex Marriage (And homosexuals in general). At first they weren't even going to allow Same Sex Marriage, stating their home country wouldn't like it (In around about way) but you know, slap a new name on it and pretend it's something else, people stop freaking out so much ("Civil Unions")

Right, but if we look at the developers as GMs, Yoshida's statement should support the lore of this ritual as not being exclusive of romantically involved couples. I think it would only be fair, honestly... Romance should not be a key requirement to be eternally bound.

In many fantasy tales you see lots of characters that have a form of "eternal bond" relationship without being romantically involved. Sometimes it's siblings, other times it's comrades. 

I am not going to say that romantic couples who do Eternal Bond shouldn't call each other's "husband" and/or "wife" (those titles are already used by NPCs in the game, though it's nowhere specified what kind of ritual they used to marry), but at the same time Eternal Bond shouldn't be kept away from other types of couples who want to make an oath to each other to display their devotion and love in all its many facets.

I am going to use it purely OOCly to get "hitched" to my non-roleplaying bf :) On sastra anyhows. For my alts, they'll use it icly if that ever becomes a thing for any of them. So far they're all single :P

Right, but if we look at the developers as GMs, Yoshida's statement should support the lore of this ritual as not being exclusive of romantically involved couples. I think it would only be fair, honestly... Romance should not be a key requirement to be eternally bound.

In many fantasy tales you see lots of characters that have a form of "eternal bond" relationship without being romantically involved. Sometimes it's siblings, other times it's comrades. 

I am not going to say that romantic couples who do Eternal Bond shouldn't call each other's "husband" and/or "wife" (those titles are already used by NPCs in the game, though it's nowhere specified what kind of ritual they used to marry), but at the same time Eternal Bond shouldn't be kept away from other types of couples who want to make an oath to each other to display their devotion and love in all its many facets.

No but his statement is only supporting the lore after they made the decisions to skirt around both camps to include it without setting off the people who are "offended" by same-sex couples.

The fact that they started to implement this stuff with "marriage" in mind first before changing things would support this. They only made it an eternal bond system after seeing the blowups in the forums so they could find a way to please both camps in some way or form.

Yoshida's repeated calls to not compare Eternal Bond to "marriage" or to not call it that way makes me think that this ritual does not pertain only romantic relationships (and frankly, I prefer it that way, since it allowed for same-gender players to partake to it without rising protests of differently politically inclined players).

I imagine it may also be taken for Eternal Bonds of brotherhood, for example, or loyal friendship as well... you know, all that kind of relationships that includes love but no sexual exchanges.

In this latter case, I can already think of a couple characters among my roster that may exchange Eternal Bond with their respective loyal adventuring partners.

Personally I think the use of the name 'Eternal Bond' rather than marriage is because they are allowing same-sex couples to partake. Same-sex marriage is a trigger word for many people and by changing the name to something else they can allow players to recognize same-sex couples in game, while still avoiding calling it marriage and pissing off the people against that.

Edit: Probably should have read to the end of the thread before I responded to this. OH WELL.

Now I want this to happen.

fullmetal_alchemist_bromance_demotivational_by_truegrimreaper64-d6xzncv.jpg

Now I want this to happen.

fullmetal_alchemist_bromance_demotivational_by_truegrimreaper64-d6xzncv.jpg

Or this;

Peach_Garden_Oath_(ROTK12).png

The one thing I've never done is gotten married ICly. 11 years of rping in MMOs and I always chickened out and broke up the engagements through the story before they went anywhere. I may be afraid of IC commitment.

It seems scary to me. Wouldn't RP get stale and boring once your married? This is a serious question and not at all a slight on marriage RP. I really want to know, how does it work?

Hmm! As someone who has played his character in a relationship for a year going (IC ups and downs aside), I can say that it's only as stale as a roleplayer makes it. It's up to us to keep things interesting and challenge ourselves -- no one is gonna do that for us. 

A married couple being  forced into battle together (or similar strife) can be a platform for powerful, emotional scenes. Hell, at the moment I'm in skype with Caleb roleplaying a fight against a bunch of thugs -- and it's SO MUCH MORE interesting because of their bond. The mutual concern for each other, the spikes of rage when one sees the other getting hurt, the fear of the other one being grievously harmed...and you know what? A ring on the finger and the status of 'lul married' isn't going to change that at all, unless we as players let it. 

If there's someone you trust enough and enjoy enough to provide your character a partner along with an interesting time, go for it! Only if you REALLY want to, of course!

Aaaaall of this! Val and Faye have been together since about a month after the game's release, and even longer if you count how long they were together as a couple in other games we've played. You can do a LOT of stuff to keep things interesting, and we also enjoy terrorizing our characters with some of our others (which is something we're currently doing). We also throw them in the way of a lot of other things and get them involved in plots and stuff, which add a whole new element when your character also has this significant other individual to think about when they make their decisions. 

I have a lot of gil saved up because I'm expecting this to be super expensive. .. I hope it isn't, but I'm sure it will be, and I have three marriages to do x_x;

I am hoping yes to IC use :)

Seeing that only now ♥

Well Nebbs, I hope as well.. Would only be the 3rd time right :) ?

Not ICly... Especially with how it got pushed back to 2.45. Since Jaques & Vaughn were set on it being a date that meant a lot two of them.... we'd have to push things back another year if we wanted to use their anniversary of getting together as the date. Yes its sappy shut up

Nobody stops you from marrying twice IC (kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiih ♥)

The one thing I've never done is gotten married ICly. 11 years of rping in MMOs and I always chickened out and broke up the engagements through the story before they went anywhere. I may be afraid of IC commitment.

It seems scary to me. Wouldn't RP get stale and boring once your married? This is a serious question and not at all a slight on marriage RP. I really want to know, how does it work?

I'm sure there are other people feeling this way, but marriage, in fact, as for IRL doesn't change the relation between the chars. It's not like 1 day before getting married is totaly different to 1 day after.

RP isn't boring nor stale, though, I would say it probably reinforce the relationship and the trust between the chars (and I suppose the players as well), that doesn't stop drama nor plots and even if you have two char married, that doesn't stop you to separate them if really it's becoming impossible.

If pushed back then there are still things you can do to have an occasion now and still make the EB ic relavent. Like an engagement or a marriage for a year with a confirmation at the end, or many other ways.

From a story aspect it is another catalyst for your RP and I think well woth not passing such opportunities up.

Also an excuse for a new outfit... All the shop

Lalah and J'inwa are pretty much just biding their time until a location for a wedding becomes available, so we'll definitely be taking advantage of the system ICly. I'm honestly pretty excited about it, both from the IC aspect of their relationship, and the OOC "Ooh shiny" of fancy new stuff.

Knowing SE, marriage will probably require a 10,000,000 gil dowry, which will go to the floor. Also the rings will be made out of Purified Dark Steel, a new material created by combining 10 Darksteel Nuggets, 3 Mastercraft Demimateria, and 1 Atma of the Scorpion. 

If, by some miracle, it has reasonable requirements, then yes. I do have an IC partner planned.