Tiergan's Red Lotus Story Arc + FAQs

UPDATE: Red Lotus Linkshell has been created!

All participants (gem-holders) upon joining, instantly gets pearl-distribution privileges. Please use them to invite in people you know are also in the plot or friends who are interested in the plot even though they don't have gems. (I.e. Your IC lovers, best friends, family members, etc.)

Please use the linkshell to grab a person and engage in red-lotus related shenanigans. Hit up a stranger and do some gem-vision swap times. Bump into someone and notice that "hey, you have one of these weird stones too!" Race away from your terrifying new stalkers and crash into another stranger who is running from hunters of their own. If you can come up with some other neat idea that the stones could mysteriously do to help make conjuring up RP even easier, feel free to send me suggestions. If they work with what I have planned, I will throw them in.

Shy people, please don't be scared about asking for RP times! BE BOLD!

As for the mysterious cloaked NPCs - you are 100% allowed to give your character's new stalkers any personality, appearance, armor, etc you like. They (usually) wear cloaks, but not always - so you literally have free-reign in designing them how you like. Feel free to make up encounters where they are watching, stalking, hunting, or attempting to capture you and others.

The only requirement for these NPCs is that they will not speak of who they work for or why they are hunting you even under threat of death. This is half because the NPCs wouldn't fess up and half because it frees you guys from having to worry about whether or not you're breaking my future plot plans with the kind of NPCs you create. They can be smart, dumb, bumbling, efficient, fanatical, or even oddly kind. You have free reign.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Click here for the Complete, Most Updated List of Participants In Random Order

If your name is on here, but you have not received any mail from me from the "Sisters of the Red Lotus" please let me know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Red Lotus FAQ

What Is This Story Arc Exactly?

I am a shy, derpy creature and instead of finding RP in normal ways, I invented a big convoluted story arc to give myself an easy excuse to interact with folks. The story arc is big, grows organically, and there are many people involved (not to mention I am often plagued by real life health issues :V), so it is slow moving. If you are involved, all I ask for is patience.

Don't think of this as a plot that happens and resolves right away, but just something to give you some nice side supplemental RP here and there.

Everyone involved thus far has received a peculiar gemstone with a symbol representing them carved in the center from the Sisters of the Red Lotus. Your character, depending on their skill sets and their network of friends, can learn quite a bit about the stone they carry and the strange Sisters that sent it to them.

Meanwhile, Tiergan Vashir is out on a search, looking for your character, carrying a strange artifact...

Can I still join in?

As of now, there's way too many folks. I am willing to flex my own rules if you are buddies with someone already involved in the plot as you guys can RP together over it and its extremely easy to work you in that way, but otherwise, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I might change my mind later.

If you are crushingly shy and having a super hard time with RP though, please let me know.

What Can I Do With These Gemstones?

If your character is capable of detecting aether, and I haven't already told you what they would see, hit me up with a message.

Otherwise - your character can do literally anything with the stone (though if they throw it out, pawn it, or otherwise get rid of it in a major way, you should let me know!) If you want your character to do something specific and want to know what would happen in response, just ask. If your character asks a friend for help to try and find out more about the stone or the Sisters of the Red Lotus, (for example, they are a mage, goldsmith, or information broker) you can direct them to me and I'll tell them any information they might know.

Additionally, your character can simply mail the Sisters of the Red Lotus back and request information or even request a meeting with one of the Sisters to ask questions and learn more.

Do the Gemstones do anything special?

Normally, unless your character is skilled at detecting aether - the gems are pretty innocuous and don't really do much.

However, to help give everyone an excuse to RP with one another, your gemstone will now pulse, hum, spark, or do any other strange and unusual reaction (feel free to be zany and creative!) when close to another person carrying a gemstone. It doesn't happen every single time - thus if you RP constantly with someone who also carries a gemstone, you can tailor when it happens so it does not disrupt other RP - but occurs at random without any real indicator of what triggers it.

If two gem-holders draw too close when their gems are reacting, each of them will experience a sudden echo of memory and emotion from the other person that is related to their 'Defining Aspect' (the one I asked you to give me ages ago that is central to your character.)

If only one of the gem-holders has a gem that is reacting, they are the only one who will send out an echo of memory to the nearest other gem holder(s).

For Example: Let's say that Tiergan and Leilani are gem-holders and Tiergan's defining aspect was "Rage" while Leilani's was "Joy".

When they encounter each other and draw too close, Tiergan would be hit by a vision of memory/emotions from Leilani that exemplifies Joy ...while Leilani would be hit by a vision of memory/emotions that exemplify Tiergan's Rage.

If your character is capable of detecting aether and they are nearby Tiergan, they will also notice something particularly strange -- feel free to ask me for more details.

What's the deal with the mysterious hunter NPCs? Other than gemstones, are there any other resources for RP at my disposal?

Your character is being watched and/or pursued by a mysterious group of strangers. Often, but not always, they are wearing hooded cloaks. You are 100% allowed to use these strangers as NPCs that you can fully control to do whatever you need to set up conditions for any kind of RP whether or not it is related to Red Lotus.

The hunters can have any personality, appearance, armor, etc you like. They (usually) wear cloaks, but not always - so you literally have free-reign in designing them how you like. Feel free to make up encounters where they are watching, stalking, hunting, or attempting to capture you and others. Most of the stalkers would probably try not to hurt your character too badly. They DEFINITELY would not try to kill your character. However a particularly zealous or hunter might be willing to harm your character in order to increase their chances of success in capturing you.

You are allowed to kill, harm, maim, torture, or do just about anything to these hunters. You could literally create a "Murder The Creepy Hunters Task Force" and go around murdering them with your allies. You can even roll up a level 1 alt who is a Creepy Hunter and attack random gem-bearers with them. You can have them talk, act, or do anything you wish.

The only requirement for these NPCs is that they will not speak of who they work for or why they are hunting you even under threat of death. They can however, LIE about who sent them and why. They can be smart, dumb, bumbling, efficient, fanatical, or even oddly kind. They can hunt in groups or be loners.

Ultimately, I'm trying to set up conditions where you guys not only have an excuse to run into each other, but you also can make up NPCs at your leisure to set up situations where it would be easy to have an excuse to RP. Especially if you're the type of RPer that is okay with fighting imaginary enemies using /random. Thus, you can literally do pretty much anything with them that you imagine save for have them try to talk honestly about who sent them and why (mostly because I purposefully don't tell you.)

Is there an RP thread where folks are RPing stuff related to this story arc?

Yep! You can find it here. It's not required to participate though. Just think of it as a fun place to post stuff if you feel like it.

Are there tumblr tags for this arc?

Yep! If you're on tumblr and you post anything in regards to this plot that you'd like others to see, just tag it with "ffxiv red lotus".

Will there be events related to this story arc?

Yes, sort of. I have a lot of events in mind, but all of them are going to be designed so that anyone can participate in them, even if you're not directly involved in the story arc. For people that are, it's just an extra bonus for flavor. You also don't have to show up to them to still participate in the story. The events are completely optional dorky fun times.

If you haven't already, please use this poll to list your availability. Also, if you've already listed your ability before, do me a favor and double check that you don't have a grey question-mark for the weekend entries. I mucked about with the poll a bit and it kinda fubared stuff for a few people.

What if I decide I can't participate anymore for whatever reason?

Just let me know and I'll take you off the list, no questions asked!

Feel free to ask me if you have any other questions.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew! Okay, I got a ton of PMs, so I'm glad I'll have plenty of people to hunt! I will post in this thread again when I've finished working out all the little kinks in my idea so you know when I'm probably going to be hunting for you all. o/

• 2 weeks later...

I UPDATED THE FIRST POST WITH A MASTER LIST!

If you don't see your name on there, please poke me again with your character's name and their aspect.

ALSO, I should have asked everyone this to start with, but if you can:

It would be badass if you also gave me a list of 5 creatures or objects that you feel represents your character. ( I'd like 5 just in case more than one person picks the same thing )

Example:

1) Lion

2) Sword

3) Shield

4) Goobue

5) Bear

ALSO: It would be badass if you also gave me a list of 5 creatures or objects that you feel represents your character. ( I'd like 5 just in case more than one person picks the same thing )  It won't have an impact on your character and is more for story flavour.

Example:

Trait: Maternal

1) Lion

2) Sword

3) Shield

4) Goobue

5) Bear

Yay on the list! \o/

1)Bear (especially a mama bear. Grrr maternal instincts!)

2)Lily (flower pun off her name! And they are pretty! :D)

3)Feather

4)Jasmine

5)Bookshelf

1) Your character name. Ilwe'ran Hlaiwa

2) If you had to strip your character down to only one main quality/trait/skill/emotion/etc - what is the one aspect they would be defined by?

Composure

5 creatures or objects that you feel represents your character.

1) Wolf

2) Bow

3) Book

4) Engraving tools

5) Ring

(I'll do as if I could still apply :o)

1) Yes, you can definitely toss your name in the hat if you want.

2) I just need one trait! It can be an emotion or quality, etc - but I need just one. If you give me multiples, I will choose one for you.

3) THIS LIST IS CRAZY HUGE. I am going to cut out alts! Also, please forgive me if it takes me a while to get to everyone. I didn't really expect this massive of a response.

Name: Shofie

One quality that describes her: Troublemaker

Five things that describe her/relate to her:

1. Passionate

2. Fiery/Fire

3. Trouble

4. Fishing

5. Fighting

Bonus!link to her wiki page: https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Shofie_Mahowyn

Shooofieee, the 5 things need to be objects or animals. :> Fire counts as an object though! Think of it more like a herald or something that could easily be put on a seal to represent Shofie.

Just a heads up, I feel it's important to let people know that this idea of mine is not really like a standard story arc. It was meant to be just an easy way for me to find and make new RP friends with a cool story.

Because I don't have a lot of free time and am often drowning in work, for me this has to be a story I can pick up, play with however long I want, and then put back down again if I need to. To that end, it might take a super long time for people to see anything come of this as I'll be going at my own pace and what I feel comfortable with. Thanks for being understanding. :>

Gonna go ahead and toss my hat into the ring, since I'll probably be lurking around with Val, anyway :v

Faye Covington

Ambitious

1) Rose

2) Teacup

3) Lace

4) Pearls

5) Blood

Shadiyah Amari

Unstable

1) House cat

2) Ankh

3) Voidsent

4) Wine glass

5) Boobs. Is that an option? Definitely boobs.

X'unmei Noh

Sweet

1) Cherry blossoms

2) Candy

3) Feather

4) Book

5) Kitten