The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

(snip for length)

While I understand the bit about people throwing a hissy fit when you don't have protect, the rest still makes little difference, imo.

It's Sastasha... you don't need Eye for an Eye... nor a cleanse. (OR for that matter, protect really, but yeah...)

Selene or Eos both have Embrace out the gate and that's really all you need. They go around hugging people who are hurting while you're placing your dots and spamming ruin.

As opposed to being on CNJ where you, personally, are spending time casting that cure, fiddling with switching in and out of Cleric Stance, and casting a DPS spell somewhere in between.

I mean, it's neither here nor there as it's only Sastasha normal... but SCH still, in my opinion anyway, wins out over CNJ/WHM at that level.

Yeah, I think this is a difference in playstyle. Personally, I queue as healer because I enjoy healing - I find it satisfying to have tools to solve problems, and frustrating when literally every single one of those tools is arbitrarily taken away from me. "This makes it easier for you to DPS" isn't something that makes a healing class appealing to me, like, at all. xD

And I can understand that. Though I'm not saying that it "makes it easier for you to DPS" (although, obviously, it does). I'm more coming from the angle that if you go into a dungeon and have 3 DPS instead of 2... in most cases that dungeon will be done faster and you can go about your day.

Generally, until you get Holy, WhM is a bit awful for DPS. Single target is okay-ish. Bane comes way sooner for SCH. Of course though, Holy is incomparable.

I say "you can totally survive bees here" which is true, as long as your HP is close to top.

I regretted after that to have taken the heal's side (ambiguously) when we got to the first boss. The heal was actually not healing at all and DPSing. He didn't even reprotect the tank. No wonder the tank was dropping and we wiped eventually.

Yeah... the bees are technically surviveable, I guess, if you're a tank with full VIT, decent gear, on full health, and with defensive cooldowns up.

I think it's best to just keep the tank topped off as a priority, treat them as instant-death mechanic, and have a happy surprise if they aren't.

If the healer was blaming the tank for dying to bees but wasn't keeping them topped off... the healer can jog on.

That's what I said "ok fine, going to focus fire on bees instead of going gung-ho on AoEs". I'm totally okay with that, but the main issue is that there is one or two groups with bees where there... more than one. You can rush down one before final sting, but you generally will have to deal with it no matter what with the second bee.

Better to be prepared for it. I have healed that instance a lot and even DPS classes tend to survive it. I think it's more a mechanic that acts a bit like a tank buster. Same for tank busters, you don't let your tank mid life when the buster is coming.

On a dark, and windy night, I decided to farm Titan EX for the pony. I have found a group of 3 other brave adventurers, hungry for blood and ponies. I have joined as SMN, the group had a WAR and an AST and a NIN as well. Together, we have faced our foe and...

The very first attempt, we get him down to 95%, first landfall happens, NIN falls. Rest of us kills Titan without any issues, the NIN guy is spamming that it's taking us forever to kill it. Once it dies, a pony drops, NIN rolls 99 and leaves the party. That was the day I found use for blacklist, other than spam of gil-selling offers.

To be perfectly honest, as a heal, I absolutely abhor that pacify shit (you know the worst? People with macros that spamm it everytime... At best, just make a ping when pacify ACTUALLY HAPPENS, not when you start using berserk...). It's wasted time that could go to DPS and healing or whatever. Poison is to be expected from the mobs, but pacify is the reason I dislike healing warriors. The irony is when you notice it a bit late or just finish casting something else, then send an esuna, and the thing wears off just before esuna is cast.

But I cleanse it alright. It's my job. It just feels like going after someone shitting a room and not cleaning after.

Sorry for the rant.

To be perfectly honest, as a heal, I absolutely abhor that pacify shit (you know the worst? People with macros that spamm it everytime... At best, just make a ping when pacify ACTUALLY HAPPENS, not when you start using berserk...). It's wasted time that could go to DPS and healing or whatever. Poison is to be expected from the mobs, but pacify is the reason I dislike healing warriors. The irony is when you notice it a bit late or just finish casting something else, then send an esuna, and the thing wears off just before esuna is cast.

But I cleanse it alright. It's my job. It just feels like going after someone shitting a room and not cleaning after.

Sorry for the rant.

That's usually why I keep Flash on my bars - it's something I can do to continue getting enmity while Pacified.

Just chiming in as a Bard main, but those pacification macros are actually quite useful for allowing me to help my Warrior tanks out with Warden's Paeon :)

I can slap it on the tank right after they use Berserk, and as long as no other harmful effects get applied to the tank before pacification is timed to land, neither the healer or the Warrior have to worry about it!

Of course, that doesn't mean that a majority of Berserk/Pacification macros couldn't be less eyetwitch-inducing, but it is a different perspective!

:chocobo:

Just chiming in as a Bard main, but those pacification macros are actually quite useful for allowing me to help my Warrior tanks out with Warden's Paeon :)

I can slap it on the tank right after they use Berserk, and as long as no other harmful effects get applied to the tank before pacification is timed to land, neither the healer or the Warrior have to worry about it!

Of course, that doesn't mean that a majority of Berserk/Pacification macros couldn't be less eyetwitch-inducing, but it is a different perspective!

:chocobo:

You're LYING. We all know there's no such thing as Paeon, or Ballad, or Promote, or Goad!

Seriously, paladin at level 50 in a group with multiple ninja who don't Goad are the root of my first world problems. PLD50 burns through all of its TP after about 3:30 of straight combat, AKA "We only just killed the adds on Ramuh and I am completely out of TP, someone please help me."

Invigorate:

BRD, DRG, MCH, MNK, NIN.

Every physical DPS.

Please Goad your tanks. WAR can use it on pulls to keep up Overpower usage, PLDs need it on bosses during 50 content if there's steady contact time. I have no idea how DRK does, to be quite honest with you.

Sir, did you ever Monk with rotating Fracture in, and not having to DK?

Even with the new TP ability we get, I struggle massively at times near the end of fights. And that's outside the serious raids. Like Ozma? My damn, that fight is a TP heavy fight. I can't how much of a pain in the ass it must be outside 24 man stuff.

Idk but I never have much issues with my TP as tank. That said, good ninjas will just give a look and throw it to whoever needs it first. Our nin back in the days used to throw it asap onto our monk at the start of a fight, and we always would have a second one up for when either our war needed it, or someone died. But that requires a ninja who doesn't tunnel vision 9000.

Monk with GL3 and high contact time is definitely an issue to be aware of. My post is largely constructed from strawmen in the first place!

Is Ozma really that bad? I figured the gaps in physical uptime and the need to stop for dice/move for meteors/ step out for triangle would provide some breathing room.

Paladin's gotten a lot better since they reduced the TP for everything down to 60, but in 50 content I still empty out and am waiting on 3second ticks instead of 2.4x GCDs after three and a half, ballpark.

Nothing in this world brings me more joy than people who go into weeping city and decide that because theyre so good and pure, they can shit on new players or people who arent as "good' as they are. I say good in quotations, because well....

Anyways. I dont care if someones a keyboard turning, ability clicking back peddling noob. You can teach a bad dps to be good. You can teach a tank, and a healer. But you cant teach someone to have a good attitude and treat their fellow human beings with even the slightest shred of respect. If you decide to fly off the handle at a pug group because for some reason theyre not performing to your subjective standard, theyre not the problem. You are.

Dear people who view PF,

When I put up an add for Nidhogg Ex saying "Last Phase/Clear Party" that means you must be able to do all mechanics up to said last phase competently and you must have at least -seen- said phase.

That does not mean, you join as a fucking healer if ALL classes to Nid Ex, and proceed to die every time to the fucking cauterize breath. But even if YOU DO JOIN AND DIE, answer me when I fucking outright say "Why do you keep dying, do you need help?"

Because even though I CLEARLY was looking to clear, I was WILLING to help you fucking learn from scratch the fight, so was everyone else.

But no, you want to be a fucking idiot and not talk, completely mute, as if somebody fucked you in the mouth so hard you messed up your jaw structure. You're a mute, you're a new mute at that who joined a fucking party expecting to clear and THEN WIPE NON STOP WITHOUT EVEN TRYING TO LEARN.

So yes, dear healer. I hope somebody puts you and whatever pc you use in a box and floats you down a fucking river to your death. Because you just WILLFULLY looked at the group and said "Hey, Fuck them and their time. I'm gonna try and get carried and not say a word."

Go drink bleach.

Tanks in raid that are not even bothering getting aggro on thrash mobs. Every time I get all the aggro as a WhM. Every, damn time. 

People in raid not willing to stay at healing range with the rest of their party, or party just exploding all around because why the hell not.

Invigorate:

BRD, DRG, MCH, MNK, NIN.

Every physical DPS.

Please Goad your tanks. WAR can use it on pulls to keep up Overpower usage, PLDs need it on bosses during 50 content if there's steady contact time. I have no idea how DRK does, to be quite honest with you.

Sir, did you ever Monk with rotating Fracture in, and not having to DK?

Even with the new TP ability we get, I struggle massively at times near the end of fights. And that's outside the serious raids. Like Ozma? My damn, that fight is a TP heavy fight. I can't how much of a pain in the ass it must be outside 24 man stuff.

Idk but I never have much issues with my TP as tank. That said, good ninjas will just give a look and throw it to whoever needs it first. Our nin back in the days used to throw it asap onto our monk at the start of a fight, and we always would have a second one up for when either our war needed it, or someone died. But that requires a ninja who doesn't tunnel vision 9000.

Man, Fracture aint even worth it anymore.  So much sad.  It's still on my bar, and I use it sometimes, but then my TP is sad.

On topic though.  New tank in Final Steps.  Obnoxious macros galore.  Runs Shadow...snake dude all over while he tries to tank Shadow Dragon despite warnings before pull and during pull.   "Monk you need to give me time to get aggro on Shadow Dragon plz, or he's going to run all over like that."

The purpose of Fracture isn't so much the miniscule increase in overall encounter DPS as it is to delay Demolish so that you don't clip the previous application before you get every tic of damage in. If you're at 5s left on your last Demo and you're back to Coeurl, your options are to a) Demo and lose a tic, b) Snap Punch and lose Demo on target for at least a single tic, c) delay by reapplying Touch of Death. Option C is a winner... unless you'd be clipping ToD short too.

Fracture gets you around that. You delay Demo by approx. 2s with Fracture and that lets the last tick of the previous Demo occur at exactly 3s left on the DoT. Then you hit Demo to reapply.

...of course, you can do the EXACT SAME THING with Meditation in place of Fracture, which leads you reach Purification faster to restore some TP and solve all TP issues.

"But muh Forbidden Chakra!"

FC is appropriate in some cases, not all. Read: openers and when you're sitting pretty TP-wise.

tl;dr: Fracture is optimal but not worth the drain outside of hardcore Savage raiding, and MNK has no TP issues courtesy of alternating between Invig and Purif. Oh, and any MNK who keeps Fracture up 100% of the time in a 7+ min fight is bad.

P.S. Let Ninjas Goad Themselves 2016.

To answer Warren, DRK doesn't need Goad, the Blood Weapon buff reduces tp usage by 20% and if you run out of TP while MTing with Grit up I don't know what's going on but you're doing it wrong.

People still tank with Grit on?

DRK is a tank?

To answer Warren, DRK doesn't need Goad, the Blood Weapon buff reduces tp usage by 20% and if you run out of TP while MTing with Grit up I don't know what's going on but you're doing it wrong.

DRK is a tank?

It certainly ain't a DPS like WAR.

I'm past 50 on WAR and I regret that it was the last tank I leveled.

WAR master race.

DRK is a tank?

It certainly ain't a DPS like WAR.

I'm past 50 on WAR and I regret that it was the last tank I leveled.

WAR master race.

PLD master race.