Character Inspirations!

SM Nick

I betcha I'm not the only one whose character was inspired by a popular character in a certain film, anime, movie, etc...

For example, my character Rena is inspired from the Monkey King, Sun Wukong. She is so wild and chaotic and loves to cause an uproar, she wields an stick-type weapon (albeit a polearm instead of a staff), and shares Wukong's golden eyes.

Here's Rena's current look:

aIThfRk.png

And her personality and stuff is on her wiki.

Now if I wanted Rena to be an inspiration or reference to the Monkey King, am I doing a good job? How can I improve? Are there things I'm missing?

And I'm asking this kind of question to you guys as well: If your character is an inspiration or reference to someone, who is the one being referenced? Do you think you're doing good? How similar are they? And how different are they?

My character Thala'to was actually created to be sort of a sidekick to a player's character back in the day. They share some background work and have some similar traits, and have been through a lot of interesting turmoil since. I got inspired when I saw the character being played the first time and asked if it would be alright to make an alt for it. He's now my most played alt and I am really loving his personality and mannerisms, so I am really happy it came to be :D

That's great!

I tend to pull from several sources and mash them up. Then finish it off in RP when I get a feel for the char. I find having some characteristic reference points helps.

FFXI JJ directly influenced by Vash from Trigun and lastname from Spike from Cowboy Bebop (I know, baby's first anime.. thanks Adult Swim~) also unknowingly somewhat influenced by Guts from Berserker (battle bastard! scarred to hell). Much dark. So wow. Early incarnations were horrible.

FFXIV JJ influenced by FFXI JJ (insane, big weapons, dark knighty...) as well as shaped with more mature themes. I was like 12 back in FFXI days. He's more quiet but when he does talk it's still in what is known as "JJ-speak" which is observational plus off-beat comments.. sometimes riddles. Usually just grunts. Immature as hell. He's the guy that grabs a goblin bomb and hands it back to the goblins and 'boops' their nose before running off.. (So part Deadpool? lol) Well the goblin thing's never happened, JJ's friends with most gob-folk.

Alex, JJ's son, was influenced by.. well, I can't think of any. I just modeled him after part of myself and bits of his parents.

Grace, JJ's daughter, was influenced a lot by the XI version of her mother (who doesn't play XIV or anything). Hot-tempered, quick to act, shy. Punches things.

That's great!

I tend to pull from several sources and mash them up. Then finish it off in RP when I get a feel for the char. I find having some characteristic reference points helps.

Sounds like how I do it. Chachan himself is... really a mishmash of all the "dorky good kid" types out there. I only recently realized that he's quite close in character to Kenichi from World's Mightiest Disciple Kenichi (which I then had to watch through again because it was a fun animu), and I've been pulling from some mythology as well.

Judge's referential points are pretty obvious too - the FFTA Judges (obviously), Shikieki from Touhou, and the font-style for passing along his imposing voice is straight lifted from Discworld's Death. He's got a lot more to him than just that, of course, but those are some pretty readily identifiable references to compare him to.

It's a sort of scaffolding to build off of - a basic character concept that you can easily understand and then have them grow in their own ways. There's plenty of characters with traits similar to Chachan out there, I'm sure... but there's none quite like him.

Too many to count, but I'll toss out a few.

Caine Black Knife of Garthan Hold.

Matrim Cauthon.

Locke Lamora.

Azoth, a.k.a. Kylar Stern, pre-kakari.

Dean Winchester.

Thorfinn, Son of Thors.

Kamishiro Yuu.

Indiana Jones.

Too many to count, but I'll toss out a few.

Caine Black Knife of Garthan Hold.

Matrim Cauthon.

Locke Lamora.

Azoth, a.k.a. Kylar Stern, pre-kakari.

Dean Winchester.

Thorfinn, Son of Thors.

Kamishiro Yuu.

Indiana Jones.

Really?  No Batman?!

I don't feel like I really had any major outside character inspiration for Aya when I started—these days I think I have some but they've come about through sort of realizing other widely known characters she has similarities to :)

Sawyer/James Ford from LOST was a HUGE inspiration to the way I played Berrod. I adopted Sawyer's habit of giving everyone a nickname, too! Berrod has changed now, but I'll remember it fondly. 

All those dirty Bara mangas i read also contributed.

Baron Munchausen, both historical and Terry Gilliam'd

Moist von Lipwig

Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler

Shelley "The Machine" Levine

Nick Naylor

Coyote

Tora-san

Justy Ueki Tylor

Time to point out inspirations for another character of mine!

Niklas was originally supposed to act as my avatar, complete with my green eyes, tan complexion, and dark brown hair. But then he turned into a reference of normal Final Fantasy heroes like the Warrior of Light, Bartz, and also Fire Emblem heroes like Marth, Seliph (FE4), Ike, and Chrom.

He is like Bartz due to his nature and the fact that he has his own Chocobo named "Choco".

He's based on the Fire Emblem heroes I chose due to his blue hair and the fact that they are all knight-like swordsman, much like Nik.

Also my main Solis is based off classic Shonen heroes and FF heroes like Bartz, Tidus, Zidane, and Vaan, personality-wise. He is also unintentionally like Cloud due to wielding a huge sword like him.

Sakura is a reference to the kunoichi from feudal Japan as a whole, but I guess an inspiration for her are Rena Ryuugu from Higurashi (due to her dual personality of sorts, except the insanity of course), and Nagisa from Clannad(pure heart).

Maximilian, aka Max...My first and most obvious inspiration/reference is Shinpachi Shimura from Gintama. They both act as the straight man, both wear glasses, and both have older sisters. Another inspiration would have to be Harry Potter: they both wield magic, also use glasses, and they just look kinda similar to me.

As for Rena, another inspiration is Kagura from Gintama, due to her exceptional (not supernatural) strength for their age and build, and personality-wise too.

Squall, Cloud, Vincent. 

His reason for being moody isn't the same though. Poor Aaron was shy ever since he was a baby, the constant bullying didn't help give him high esteem exactly. 

He acts cold and tough because he doesn't want people treating him like they were when he was little.

Thanks to the help given to me by you guys (mainly Flynt :P), I made Rena a much better reference to Sun Wukong!

AiwMft2.png

MBpeRVC.png

Is this much better than before? Are there still improvements to do? I know I still need the circlet to represent Wukong's diadem.

Don't be afraid to state inspirations for YOUR character too!

tank girl (tank girl)

eris (greek myth)

alice liddell (american mcgee's alice)

daria (daria)

lain (serial experiments lain)

damian thorn (the omen)

jackie estacado (the darkness)

yelena rossini (transmetropolitan)

john constantine (hellblazer)

re-l mayer (ergo proxy)

noodle (gorillaz)

Tdwnp0K_Ack

Oh, quite a few, quite a few.

Apparently, Porthos of the Three Musketeers is a big one, though I didn't realize HOW big until recently.

A wee dash of Richard Cheese for that hint of cornball. Technically, he's a character.

A little Lando Calrissian for that smoooooth. Colt 45 not included.

Some Paul Bunyan, Mike Fink, and a few other characters from American Folklore / Tall Tales for that Big Man Of The Woods confidence.

A smidgen of James Bond and Austin Powers fighting with each other over an Amazonian beauty for that bit of lustiness. Get THAT image out of your head.

And for obscure: Till Eulenspiegel of German folklore, for that bit of trickster-god.

Bugs Bunny, minus the cross-dressing... shut up. The hats ARE masculine.