Patch 3.1 Previews!

Kage

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

!!! Wooo! They finally extended /dance to all races! About time! (I wonder if they're extending them among all genders too? I think the hyur on the first pic is using the Miqo'te Female one, but I'm not 100% sure) That Lalall is definitely using the Miqo'te female dance in the second picture, and midlander female in the third.

Edit: also, I hope they're made persistent. Now, if only they changed their mind on facial expressions too...

It is Gothic.

Gothic Victorian/Steampunk.

Perhaps we have different definitions of Gothic. Gothic, to me, pertains to the Holy Roman Empire, and all the things that come with that. Which Ishgard itself reflects very heavily, but which the gearsets largely neglect. 

Gothic and Victorian don't go together super well. It'd be kind of like having a 1930s gangster theme where everyone is a cowboy. Different eras with very different cultures and aesthetics.

If anyone is in doubt what "gothic" means, Google says:

Gothic

ˈɡɒθɪk/

adjective

1. 1.
    relating to the Goths or their extinct language, which belongs to the East Germanic branch of the Indo-European language family. It provides the earliest manuscript evidence of any Germanic language (4th–6th centuries AD).
  2. 2.
    of or in the style of architecture prevalent in western Europe in the 12th–16th centuries (and revived in the mid 18th to early 20th centuries), characterized by pointed arches, rib vaults, and flying buttresses, together with large windows and elaborate tracery. English Gothic architecture is divided into Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular.

And you can read some more on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic

Either case, it is gothic inspired.

It is Gothic.

Gothic Victorian/Steampunk.

Perhaps we have different definitions of Gothic. Gothic, to me, pertains to the Holy Roman Empire, and all the things that come with that. Which Ishgard itself reflects very heavily, but which the gearsets largely neglect. 

Gothic and Victorian don't go together super well. It'd be kind of like having a 1930s gangster theme where everyone is a cowboy. Different eras with very different cultures and aesthetics.

Perhaps it is due to different language and culture, but over here in Italy, anything inspired to/derived from the Holy Roman Empire is defined as romantic (from the italian words Roma (Rome) and Antico (Ancient) ). Gothic matches more to what Vachir posted.

What you just linked is in stark opposition to coats and top-hats.

The architecture used for the expansion is indeed Gothic, but that was already stated. We're talking about the armor.

What you just linked is in stark opposition to coats and top-hats.

The architecture used for the expansion is indeed Gothic, but that was already stated. We're talking about the armor.

There's a link talking about Gothic fashion in the wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_fashion

Seems like some of the new armour is inspired from this.

Gothic Fashion is a subset of the Goth subculture, which is very heavily detached from the historical period marked by Gothic architecture. Squeenix seems very much aware of this, considering that the Heavensward NPCs in Ishgard wear clothing inspired by that historical period.

So this is still out of left field. If anything, I would say that they've decided to go Full Steampunk at this point, considering that we're now at the cusp of the "Great Sky Age."

Gothic Fashion is a subset of the Goth subculture, which is very heavily detached from the historical period marked by Gothic architecture. Squeenix seems very much aware of this, considering that the Heavensward NPCs in Ishgard wear clothing inspired by that historical period.

So this is still out of left field. If anything, I would say that they've decided to go Full Steampunk at this point, considering that we're now at the cusp of the "Great Sky Age."

Well, more Steampunk'esque, as there's actually no real steam being used. But I see what you mean. Hence why I think the style is more Victorian gothic, which Steampunk is also based on.

I like it though. FFXIV has many mixed styles in their armour sets. It's cool. ^^

Well, FFXIV isn't set in one time period. It's kinda a mix of many different ones, because... well, fantasy world. The devs can pick and choose whatever inspiration they feel fits the theme. The new armour sets, along with the Scholar's eso set kinda fits the Victorian feel.

Well, FFXIV isn't set in one time period. It's kinda a mix of many different ones, because... well, fantasy world. The devs can pick and choose whatever inspiration they feel fits the theme. The new armour sets, along with the Scholar's eso set kinda fits the Victorian feel.

You misunderstood what I was saying. I am saying that the Gothic styles are not the same as Victorian styles. That's it.

You misunderstood what I was saying. I am saying that the Gothic styles are not the same as Victorian styles. That's it.

Ah, gotcha. ^^

I think I'm calling it Victorian Gothic as in the modern term gothic, meaning the dark clothing based on the Victorian style. Like shown in the link from the wiki I posted.

I can see alot of the Heavensward armour being inspired from the Gothic era, like those pictures you posted.

I really just want them to focus on the Gothic theme just long enough that I can get a Gothic Knight tank set. 

Ishgardian architecture be damned, I will not accept this as a Gothic expansion until this helmet exists ingame. 

1725_01_org.jpg

And it better have a damn good /visor animation.

When I read the term gothic, I tend to think of the gothic fiction genre. That was more of a 16th century thing. I think these clothes do draw upon that period aesthetically at least a little bit.

They have the corrupt clergy and gloomy castle town part down, as well as the inquisition themes; they just need to up the ante on the horror. That being said, while the dungeons look exciting, I might have to stretch to find a reason to use such well-to-do looking gear on my relatively low income character.

3.1 Preview Website is up!

Beast Tribe Quests

The Vundu tribe, having summoned the primal Bismarck, wasted no time in establishing dominance over other Vanu Vanu tribes and claiming the Sea of Clouds as their own. The peaceful Zundu tribe continue to oppose their tyranny, however, and now seek the aid of an adventurer to help their people.

FFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_36.png

FFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_35.png

FFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_37.png

FFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_38.png

The Minstrel’s Ballad: Thordan’s Reign

With his typical flair for embellishment, the wandering minstrel has woven yet another stirring epic─this time from the threads of your Azys Lla confrontation with Archbishop Thordan VII. With the final verse yet ringing in the chambers of your mind, the memories of that titanic struggle arise once more with an almost surreal clarity…

Level Requirement Disciple of War or Magic level 60

Item Level Requirement Average item level 190 or above

Party Size Eight players

Time Limit 60 minutes

Quest Thordan’s Reign

Prerequisites Players must first complete the main scenario quest “Heavensward.”

FFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_40.pngFFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_42.pngFFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_39.pngFFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_41.png

Lord of Verminion

The Manderville Gold Saucer has just unveiled its newest attraction—Lord of Verminion! Adorable minions are now fierce warriors as they go head to head in this exciting new strategy game.

FFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_44.pngFFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_43.pngFFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_45.pngFFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_46_EN.png

Also, the 1.0 system mini-games

Out on a Limb

FFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_47.png

The Finer Miner

FFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_48.png

Better Images of the Hairstyles

FFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_52.pngFFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_53.pngFFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_51.pngFFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_50.pngFFXIV_PUB_Patch3.1_49.png