Letter from the Producer LIVE Part XXVII

Kage

We will be changing the method for calculating the potency of physical attacks for tank roles in Patch 3.2. We’ll be making it so vitality affects the potency of physical attacks, and as a result the effect of strength on physical attack potency will be reduced.

From Patch 3.2 onwards, you’ll be safe using only vitality accessories as well as allocating everything to vitality as a tank. For everyone who is currently using strength accessories on their tanks, the damage will be lowered, so please prepare your vitality accessories ahead of time.

In regards to tanks, we’ll be looking at each of the three jobs’ defense traits and making overall adjustments to their values. Amongst the adjustments, paladin will be receiving large adjustments. Not only in terms of their offensive-aspects, but overall adjustments as well.

[align=center]59080000.jpg[/align]

I am so happy to hear this happened. The old ST Tanking I hated. I understood the necessity of it, but I have been a tank for decades and its always Health/Vitality/Constitution/exc. So it was more of a personal dislike to change. Yes I'm getting to be a cranky old man, sue me. I hoped for this so hard I have been saving Esos and capping and grinding, I got my VIT stuff ready to go.... BRING ON THE CHANGE!!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come WHM & BLM get 1h & 2h sticks but a MCH can't get a 2h rifle.

Only reason I never will level MCH.

You crazy.

Look at this.

LOOK AT IT.

THAT MASK.

Lrbubrx.png

How the fuck does one accurately aim that with one hand?

Some guns already look like that on Lalafell....

You crazy.

Look at this.

LOOK AT IT.

THAT MASK.

Lrbubrx.png

Some guns already look like that on Lalafell....

I'm glad they're navigating away from the popgun/musket looking things but they should stop before they become pseudo Call of Duty I think they have a nice balance here.

As far as aiming with one hand...lol. I don't know, get good? :P

terminator_one_hand_shotgun.jpg

Welp, looks like I'll have to start buying VIT accessories with my Esos for my tanks. On the plus side I have STR combat classes leveled too, so it won't be that big of a waste but... I'm wondering if they're going to nerf Tank STR builds all at once or do it in phases to give folks more time to pick up the VIT accessories - such as from Savage Alexander and whatnot.

Thinking on it, it's likely going to be the former to avoid having to do additional patches just for that (though there may be some just for tweaking and such)... so I just have to hope the STR builds are still good enough for Expert and the like until the changeover is done.

... Though I didn't notice any changes to Parry, so that's still going to be a pretty useless stat it seems. Wonder if the VIT change will make it still worth taking a VIT item with parry over a STR item with Det or Crit.

MCH does not use STR accessories.

They used the PLL to tell people "get your VIT shit now" because it's going to be a straight up loss.

Which it is.

VIT accessories have the shittiest fucking secondary stats. Parry? Useless as fuck. Skill speed at least I can use to fit in major damage while Berserk is up. But Parry is fucking ugh. BUFF PARRY PLS 3.2

They used the PLL to tell people "get your VIT shit now" because it's going to be a straight up loss.

Which it is.

VIT accessories have the shittiest fucking secondary stats. Parry? Useless as fuck. Skill speed at least I can use to fit in major damage while Berserk is up. But Parry is fucking ugh. BUFF PARRY PLS 3.2

Yeah, this is my main concern. A LOT of VIT gear has nigh-useless Parry. So, unless that gets addressed, I'm sure a lot of the VIT gear will still be seen as terrible. Just less so, as tanks gun for the VIT pieces that don't have Parry at all on them.

Which it is.

Yeah, this is my main concern. A LOT of VIT gear has nigh-useless Parry. So, unless that gets addressed, I'm sure a lot of the VIT gear will still be seen as terrible. Just less so, as tanks gun for the VIT pieces that don't have Parry at all on them.

"In case were wondering what VIT accessories for 210 are the ones without parry, they are:

Gordian Neck (Crit Acc) Eso Earring (Acc SS) Eso Bracelet (Acc Det) Gordian Ring (Acc Crit) Eso Ring (Parry and DET but its unavoidable)"

"In case were wondering what VIT accessories for 210 are the ones without parry, they are:

Gordian Neck (Crit Acc) Eso Earring (Acc SS) Eso Bracelet (Acc Det) Gordian Ring (Acc Crit) Eso Ring (Parry and DET but its unavoidable)"

Well, that's three of them I can get. I don't expect to be picking up the Gordian stuff since I don't raid. Still, at least most of those are... easily?... available. It'll still be a month or so before my tank accessories are switched over, though.

Good thing I'm in no particular rush. :blush:

Do we have a transcript of the question section of the Live Letter?

Do you mean this? Which was what I copy and pasted into the front post?

Generally speaking, I don't check the first post of a thread every time I visit the thread. Most people don't edit the first post, and usually the newest info is later on in the thread. So sorry to have offended by asking a simple question. :)

I've been holding onto my eso tomes and still have leftover manifestos, so I can grab a full set of Vit jewelry right now. Also, yay for PLD adjustments! I do miss tanking with my sword and board.

I wonder if there are going to be changes to Living Dead as well? With every tank investing in Vit now... I mean, healing up a 21k health DRK is an extra 1-2 GCDs over a 15k one, unless you have Bene at the ready. That can mean the difference between the tank surviving or eating the floor. Not to mention if I'm getting that many heals poured into me over such a short duration I feel like I did something horribly wrong...

You crazy.

Look at this.

LOOK AT IT.

THAT MASK.

Lrbubrx.png

How do I shoot magicks with my wand?

How can DRG into space by jumping?

How can I shoot so many arrows at the same time with my bardbow?

How do I shot web?

erm I mean

How do I spawn 4 magical circular saws out of SHEER ANGER?

I wonder if there are going to be changes to Living Dead as well? With every tank investing in Vit now... I mean, healing up a 21k health DRK is an extra 1-2 GCDs over a 15k one, unless you have Bene at the ready. That can mean the difference between the tank surviving or eating the floor. Not to mention if I'm getting that many heals poured into me over such a short duration I feel like I did something horribly wrong...

That's actually a good question and possibly a horrible side effect of the change. I was fairly happy because PLDs stacking VIT also means better self-cast Stoneskins and thematically speaking I find that's awesome since, well, PLD Cure sucks ass.

I've been holding onto my eso tomes and still have leftover manifestos, so I can grab a full set of Vit jewelry right now. Also, yay for PLD adjustments! I do miss tanking with my sword and board.

As far as I know Benediction hp restriction was lifted on 3.0

SCH will probably have to emergency tactics lustrate andfairy-kill lustrate.

I've been told that AST can do it with 1 GCD too.

Let's not busy a post thead meant to provide info with meaningless chatter.

Living Dead strikes me as being eerily similar to Purgatory with Death Knights (the functions are almost identical). With that in mind, it may very well be that it's intended to kill most tanks most of the time unless you have a perfect, timely heal that intervenes. But, in WoW (with a faster GCD and overall much more potent direct healing), it's extremely difficult to heal a tank through a Purgatory proc anyway, regardless of number of healers.

You crazy.

Look at this.

LOOK AT IT.

THAT MASK.

Lrbubrx.png

How do I shoot magicks with my wand?

How can DRG into space by jumping?

How can I shoot so many arrows at the same time with my bardbow?

Dunno because

1 - Magic ain't real, guns are.

2 - Dunno because DRG aren't real, guns are

3 - Won't lie. You got me there lol.

The one hand sniper rifle just looks weird, all I was saying.

I'm just jesting mostly... Just that well. Depends where you puts the limit on believability, but honestly, if we are after believability, FFXIV is maybe not the best game for that. I mean, characters carry their two handed weapons and bows and guns on their back when it's actually the worse thing to do, that kind of things... Not especially specific to FFXIV either, where more serious and realistic games fall into the same ignorant traps...

I guess i'm more vocal about all the fan-service, immersion breaking evidences that go into the game than this. Just imagine the characters using both their hands and voila... Not something we would be technically very unused to do as RPers that have to make up half of what happens around and is not made possible by the game anyway...

I agree though. Just seemed like really nitpicking to me compared to other stuff. There is plenty.