Erm... Moogle character?

This is probably a stupid idea <_> Please don't bash my head in! xD

But I was thinking about playing a Moogle.. Not exactly one of those fuzzy floaters portrayed in FFXIV, but I suppose a more... anthropomorphized one?

Plesae, please, please... NO jokes or crticisms about 'furfags' , 'furries', or anything like that.. I want some serious answers and constructive help... Anyone able to give their thoughts on this idea?

If it can't necessarily be a more anthropomorphized one, I DID have an idea that could be a bit of a "compromise"..?

/me takes out the fluffiest of pillows and lightly pats OP with it

I'm...just gonna link the other person I know of who tried to RP as a moogle. Personally, I think you may run into some trouble as say, a FF Tactics/Ivalice Moogle trying to fit into a world where that doesn't really exist. It would be like trying to RP a Viera, or a Baanga, or a Guado (FFX), or any other race that we've yet to see actually exist in the game.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=11590&highlight=moogle

As I understand only certain people can see moogles unless the moogle wants to be seen or something like that. As it was explained to me its sort of mythic fairy rules. Most would honestly just pretend they cannot see you as it seems a bit off by most rpers standards.

Those are specifically the Moogles found in FFXIV. ...which isn't what the OP is asking about.

I think the topic is on Moogles like this:

300x576http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/e/e3/FF12Montblanc.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090304193142[/img]

And not this:

0a3a6ce0af25c06c4f9e50c5f23337ed.jpg

As I understand only certain people can see moogles unless the moogle wants to be seen or something like that. As it was explained to me its sort of mythic fairy rules. Most would honestly just pretend they cannot see you as it seems a bit off by most rpers standards.

Those are specifically the Moogles found in FFXIV. ...which isn't what the OP is asking about.

I think the topic is on Moogles like this:

300x576http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/e/e3/FF12Montblanc.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090304193142[/img]

And not this:

0a3a6ce0af25c06c4f9e50c5f23337ed.jpg

For the anthropomorphized version, I was talking about that first Moogle style.

However, the other idea(s) I had would actually apply to the FFXIV-type moogle.. Which admittedly, I'm not entirely sure if I should divulge.. *nervous sweatdrops*

An anthropomorphized Moogle would be a bit difficult to explain within FFXIV's universe.

I would probably suggest working with the existing Moogle framework, although still, I think many people would have difficulty taking the concept seriously OOC. IC, roleplaying one would probably yield a lot of surprised reactions.

We know from the King Mog fight in 2.1 and Moghome in 3.0, that there are at least two societies of Moogles with different naming conventions. And however we want to classify the various Moogles who handle mail for adventurers.

--

side note: In FF-Tactics/Ivalice, Moogles are one of the standard races of the game. Equal rights and all that. So they aren't really seen as mythical creatures as much as say, a Hyur thinks nothing of a Miqo'te. That isn't quite so the case in FFXIV.

I would probably suggest working with the existing Moogle framework, although still, I think many people would have difficulty taking the concept seriously OOC. IC, roleplaying one would probably yield a lot of surprised reactions.

We know from the King Mog fight in 2.1 and Moghome in 3.0, that there are at least two societies of Moogles with different naming conventions. And however we want to classify the various Moogles who handle mail for adventurers.

side note: In FF-Tactics/Ivalice, Moogles are one of the standard races of the game. Equal rights and all that. So they aren't really seen as mythical creatures as much as say, a Hyur thinks nothing of a Miqo'te. That isn't quite so the case in FFXIV.

Well, I suppose there's not really any harm in giving it a try. And yeah , I think I'll work within the framework. And  it sounds like you're saying that moogles are somewhat of a rarity in FFXIV?

Well, I suppose there's not really any harm in giving it a try. And yeah , I think I'll work within the framework. And  it sounds like you're saying that moogles are somewhat of a rarity in FFXIV?

They are a more secluded sort, and are very quick to hide. It's a really big deal that the Warrior of Light / Main Character can see them when they're hidden and understand them when they aren't purposely speaking in a common language.

The 1.0 and 2.0 opening scenes for Gridania show a little of this.

I'm not sure how far you are in the game, but there are a series of quests in which you must find hidden moogles as well.

I have beaten the main ARR storyline, though I BARELY remember any of it. The moogle bits stck out here and there, but... yeah..

I did have two other ideas though.. Should I mention them? <_>

You can mention or ask about anything.

The answers you receive should be based within the boundaries of the lore. If it falls outside those boundaries it's not meant as any sort of personal affront.

If you've beaten ARR Main Story, I suggest doing the Postmoogle quests - there are a few that explain various aspects of moogledom (most specifically the Postmoogle himself, but also a bit about them) and/or rushing into HW content and fully completing the Churning Mists.

Good background on the Moogles, and may give you a few ideas.

Warmly,

Your friendly Hyuran Postmoogle, or Posthyur, if you prefer.

Best bet in my opinion?  Two different things:

Moogle Bestie: Working a moogle into your story, met as a child or something, wouldn't be hard, you wouldn't nearly as many protests likely, and you can have that Mog be invisible at times, or off doing Mog things, something to think about though?

Raised by Mogs: So this one sort of says itself as well, you were lost in the forest, picked up by Mogs and raised to adulthood, and are close to the Mogs, maybe have one come with you places to experience our society from a different point of view?  This one could just as well be combined with the first?

Either way, these two would be much better bets to play than your original idea, which you would need to find a very specific crowd to work yourself into, good luck!

Moogle Bestie: Working a moogle into your story, met as a child or something, wouldn't be hard, you wouldn't nearly as many protests likely, and you can have that Mog be invisible at times, or off doing Mog things, something to think about though?

Raised by Mogs: So this one sort of says itself as well, you were lost in the forest, picked up by Mogs and raised to adulthood, and are close to the Mogs, maybe have one come with you places to experience our society from a different point of view?  This one could just as well be combined with the first?

Either way, these two would be much better bets to play than your original idea, which you would need to find a very specific crowd to work yourself into, good luck!

.....Raised by Mogs! *facepaws* Why was I unable to think of such an idea..?! That would suffice very, very nicely! Plus, it would also explain her very, very shy nature. I imagine she'd be quick to scamper away.

• 5 months later...

Oi, briefly reviving this thread for a bit. Do you reckon the 'raised by mogs' would be plausible? How exactly would I explain it?

Being raised by Moogles would probably still be incredibly rare, but it's also something feasible (although I'd image they would try to get that child returned to people ASAP because Moogles in FFXIV tend to be pretty secretive and some are downright cowardly).

If we're assuming your character would be old enough to be adventuring/semi-independent, (let's say 13 or older), then we'd likely need to stick with the Moogles over in the Black shroud (red poms). Maybe your character's parents lived far within the forest and met an untimely demise? Or perhaps they abandoned your character in the forest, assuming a beast would be the end of things, only to be rescued by a curious moogle.

Things to take into consideration there are that your character would likely not have all of the skills a typical moogle would have, such as flying and their concealment magic. (Moogles are excellent at hiding. So good that people cannot dispel it.)

Perhaps they took care of your character until they felt it would be safe to bring them to Gridania or another settlement? Moogles are shown talking to the Padjals fairly often, so I would imagine a child could be handed off in that way, and would then likely be raised by the Conjurer's guild or something? (Note: that doesn't necessarily mean becoming a conjurer, just being taken care of by them. You'd still have plenty of room for choices.)

The more out-there an idea is' date=' the less likely it is to be accepted by the whole of a community.[/quote']

In a nutshell: this. With all due respect, I would not personally consider it feasible, but that's just my opinion.

To fly in the face of my own post, though, who cares if the hypothetical Them doesn't care for your concept? This is a game where people are successfully playing all sorts of off-canon things of questionable origin; Being raised by moogles would lend its own set of challenges, for sure, but it could also make for an interesting backstory.

The trap that I would be mindful of falling into is that of deciding to incorporate something unique just for the right to claim you're unique. Moogles in FFXIV are reclusive (that we have seen) and/or lazy, stupid and not at all interested in responsibility (mostly, from what we have seen, maybe). On the other other other hand, they're also tireless mailmogs who (mostly) work hard to make sure everyone gets their mail (unless they're making someone else do it, which is often. Maybe.). Maybe your character grew up in the mix of a band of hard-working delivery mogs, almost in a take off of Snow White and her dwarves?

At the end of the day, my feelings have always been summed up with this: If you execute it well and interestingly enough, people will not mind what you're writing.

Maybe your character grew up in the mix of a band of hard-working delivery mogs, almost in a take off of Snow White and her dwarves?

Slight continuity problem with this: The Mogmail system was only established in the moons following the Calamity as all linkshell communication was disrupted irreparably by Dalamud's fall. Prior to the Calamity, most Shroud moogles rarely revealed themselves to mankind and usually of those only to trusted people of the Wood, Seedseers and the like. Why? Because moogles were often sold on the Qiqirn and Ul'dahn blackmarkets for their skins. Apparently Ul'dahn nobles liked to keep them as exotic pets or use their skins for pillows. Coincidentally why the majority of the mogmailers deliver their missives while invisible, despite moogles making themselves more publicly known for the last five years at the Seedseer's behest.

So the character in question would have had to be interacting with the mog mailers sometime during the last five years of their lifetime. Which, could work I guess depending on how old the character is currently?

Overall, the concept of being raised by moogles could work, just that it creates a lot of narrative difficulties. Why did the moogles of the Shroud not return the child to Gridania to live with all the other orphans (Oak Atrium is practically an orphanage)? Was it the will of the elementals that caused them to intervene, if so why, is he destined to be a hearer? Can he understand mooglespeak? etc etc Just things to think on.

Honestly, after somethought, I've come to this conclusion.

I don't think I'm going to let anyone stop me, to be honest. I'm going to try and go with the concept. Admittedly it was one I had when I originally first started poking at RP in FFXIV, but after seeing a few lore-freaks  having freaked out over something incredibly minour, (something as stupid as a last name that didn't fit typical (insert race here) naming conventions) I had been spooked away and had resorted to just keeping her as a plain-Jane Doe for the longest time..

I'll do my best to write and play her to the best of my ability. Now just to find an FC that would accept me and let me play out this concept without much grief.. (which will probably be nigh impossible)

Also, I realize some people are going to hate me and likely outright ignore me when it comes to RP because of this.. >,>

I honestly see no issue if you wish to RP an FFXIV moogle. There are costumes, the moogle head with the paws and claws and the body piece. Shove it on a lala and you get a rather portly moogle of larger size (which do exist). If you have access to those tools, or hell, even if you don't have access to those tools, if you rp with a group that accepts you, it should be no issue.

The above statement is the most important, playing with a group that accepts you and your willingness to keep searching. If you have that, doesn't matter if you are a tactics moogle versus an ffxiv moogle. 

but you want wider appeal? go for ffxiv moogle.

I've seen people playing Vath and a disguised Sylph, by the by. And a couple other folks playing FFXIV Moogles (one even fought in the Grindstone)! We also have people playing Tarutaru, Mithra, and other races from FFXI. Judge Jredthys' "Judge" style is more or less based off the judges IN Tactics Advance (where the more anthromorphic moogles exist).

So I figure another person playing a moogle, or raised by moogles, should be perfectly fine.